October 2018 AFC: The Localization Team

• ArenaNet Staff

Our guests for the October ArenaNet Forum Chat is the ArenaNet Localization Team. Loc Team members help us bring Guild Wars 2 to gamers around the world who speak French, German, or Spanish. Including these language communities makes our game more vibrant, and the folks on the Loc team help us maintain a global perspective in all that we do.

The subforum will open on Tuesday, October 30, and close on Friday, November 2. Loc Team members may continue to post to answer questions and comments after that time, as their schedules allow.

We hope you'll join in to ask the team questions about the localization of our game. Members of our entire forum family are invited, and posts are welcome in English, French, German, and Spanish. In fact, members can post in more than one language, in they are able to do so, and those comments will reach even more of our forum members!

A few guidelines:

• Please post no more than 3 questions in a single thread.
  • If you have questions about a certain language, you may post in that language, in English, or in both.
  • If you want to share feedback, please provide a summary of your thoughts, although you can post detailed feedback in the appropriate language forum.
  • Please maintain a positive and constructive tone.
  • Please use a *meaningful* title. Not: "I've been wondering" but "About [this story content] [this word] [this linguistic bug]"

All of this brings to mind what might be my first question for the Loc Team: What is the difference between translation and localization?"

Hope to see you on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, for the start of our Localization Team AFC!

Video game localization is the preparation of video game software and hardware for sale in a new region or country. Although translating the text is a large part of localization, the process includes any changes made to a game, including altering art assets, creating new packaging and manuals, recording new audio, transforming hardware, cutting out whole portions of the game due to differing cultural sensitivities and/or local legal requirements, and even adding sections to replace cut content.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_localization

Maybe that helps a bit.

From https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/58719/october-2018-afc-the-localization-team:

Our guests for the October ArenaNet Forum Chat is the ArenaNet Localization Team. Loc Team members help us bring Guild Wars 2 to gamers around the world who speak French, German, or Spanish. Including these language communities makes our game more vibrant, and the folks on the Loc team help us maintain a global perspective in all that we do.

The subforum will open on Tuesday, October 30, and close on Friday, November 2. Loc Team members may continue to post to answer questions and comments after that time, as their schedules allow.

We hope you'll join in to ask the team questions about the localization of our game. Members of our entire forum family are invited, and posts are welcome in English, French, German, and Spanish. In fact, members can post in more than one language, in they are able to do so, and those comments will reach even more of our forum members!

• ArenaNet Staff

@Astralporing.1957 said:I find it somewhat ironic, that the talk with the people whose work is important mainly for non-english speakers will take place only on english forums.

If you read the notice about this, the conversation will take place on the English-language forums, but this one will welcome posts in any language. We feel that our French-, German-, and Spanish-speaking players are well aware of localization and, if they are forum members, they likely will have interacted or witnessed interaction with the Loc Team.

This AFC offers an opportunity for our English-speaking community to become aware of the team and more familiar with the process of localization. Since players have shown interest in many different aspects of the development of a game, getting to know about the localization process and meet and talk with the team behind that process should make for a very interesting conversation.

I must confess I only rarely visit my own language (Spanish) forums. The English one is far more complete and active. The spanish localization team, however, has been super kind and aware when I have raised questions and suggestions there, I'm deeply grateful for their attention to my petition to call Tempest "Tempestad" instead of "Tempesteador" back when HoT were being promoted. They still called Scrapper "Quincallero" in spanish, but well, one can't win all the time.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:I find it somewhat ironic, that the talk with the people whose work is important mainly for non-english speakers will take place only on english forums.

If you read the notice about this, the conversation will take place on the English-language forums, but this one will welcome posts in any language. We feel that our French-, German-, and Spanish-speaking players are well aware of localization and, if they are forum members, they likely will have interacted or witnessed interaction with the Loc Team.

This AFC offers an opportunity for our English-speaking community to become aware of the team and more familiar with the process of localization. Since players have shown interest in many different aspects of the development of a game, getting to know about the localization process and meet and talk with the team behind that process should make for a very interesting conversation.

Thank You for this information, so see You on the AFC, then. :)

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Can we open threads in not supported languages? (Russian, Japanese, Italian, etc)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Zaraki.5784 said:

Can we open threads in not supported languages? (Russian, Japanese, Italian, etc)

Sorry, no. We do not have localization team members who are native speakers of those languages. The topics for consideration involve our four supported languages. Thanks for asking!

Archived