Sigil of the Night doesn't work in WvW?

Lonecap.4105

@DemonSeed.3528 said:I will try checking later if I make it to a night cycle to check the diff. If someone is readily available to check atm please chime in thank you. I actually keep spare weapons with sigil of night for this purpose and it sucks if something is bugged atm.

Cool, thanks man. I'm the same, I bought an Endless Upgrade Extractor so I could plug in Sigil of the Night during the cycle. I was a little underwhelmed by it and decided to dig deeper, and when testing on some mobs with and without the sigil I couldn't really notice a difference in my damage numbers. I could definitely have tested more thoroughly however. Let me know what you find out!

It works in the core WvW maps - meaning all but Desert BL. Mind you the day/night cycle on these maps cycle every 2 hours, with 45 minutes of these 2 hours counted as night (night and dawn).

To find out whether or not night has started, listen for an audio clue or equip weapons from the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon as they change appearance depending on time of day, same with a few legendary weapons.

When testing for this 10% damage modifier, it might be best to use a weapon with a short interval of weapon strength, like dagger or shortbow. Pay close attention to non crits as these will give you the best results for comparison since on crit modifiers don't apply, also turn off traits that give modifiers. Remember npc's in general have high armor, so those 10% will more resemble a +2% overall, making it tricky to spot since weapon damage varies each hit. Your best bet is to record yourself hitting a foe/golem for a while, and the outliers (min/max damage) will be consistently higher (10% higher) at night - if this is the case the sigil functions as intended.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#Day-night_cyclehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon_Strength

@sostronk.8167 said:It definitely used to work, I know that much. It never worked on EOTM maps. One thing to note, to be sure you are in day or night cycle, the Royal Ascalonian Weapon skins glow at night. I used to have one with the sigil to use at night and switch out during the day time.

Yeah I play Sylvari with a white glow pattern anyway, so it's always super easy to tell. Meta race! Still haven't gotten around to additional testing, I was hoping someone else would have already done this but I'll step up and do it later.

@"rng.1024" said:It works in the core WvW maps - meaning all but Desert BL. Mind you the day/night cycle on these maps cycle every 2 hours, with 45 minutes of these 2 hours counted as night (night and dawn).

To find out whether or not night has started, listen for an audio clue or equip weapons from the Ascalonian Catacombs dungeon as they change appearance depending on time of day, same with a few legendary weapons.

When testing for this 10% damage modifier, it might be best to use a weapon with a short interval of weapon strength, like dagger or shortbow. Pay close attention to non crits as these will give you the best results for comparison since on crit modifiers don't apply, also turn off traits that give modifiers. Remember npc's in general have high armor, so those 10% will more resemble a +2% overall, making it tricky to spot since weapon damage varies each hit. Your best bet is to record yourself hitting a foe/golem for a while, and the outliers (min/max damage) will be consistently higher (10% higher) at night - if this is the case the sigil functions as intended.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Day_and_night#Day-night_cyclehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon_Strength

Yeah thanks, this was a really valuable post, I'll keep what you said in mind in regards to damage testing, because I admittedly was looking at crits.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@sostronk.8167 said:It definitely used to work, I know that much. It never worked on EOTM maps. One thing to note, to be sure you are in day or night cycle, the Royal Ascalonian Weapon skins glow at night. I used to have one with the sigil to use at night and switch out during the day time.

Yeah I play Sylvari with a white glow pattern anyway, so it's always super easy to tell. Meta race! Still haven't gotten around to additional testing, I was hoping someone else would have already done this but I'll step up and do it later.

@"rng.1024" said:It works in the core WvW maps - meaning all but Desert BL. Mind you the day/night cycle on these maps cycle every 2 hours, with 45 minutes of these 2 hours counted as night (night and dawn).

Yeah thanks, this was a really valuable post, I'll keep what you said in mind in regards to damage testing, because I admittedly was looking at crits.

There's both great and misleading information there. Firstly, it shouldn't matter whether you have crits or not when testing damage modifiers as long as you are comparing damage under exactly the same conditions. This means striking the exact same target with the exact same stats and buffs/debuffs without any other modifiers ruining your tests while comparing crits to crits or non-crits to non-crits. Be especially careful of using attacks or traits that add vulnerability as that will make it much harder for you to spot what's going on. Using a low variance weapon should make it much easier to test but a higher weapon variance just means you should repeat the test more. Armor of the target will not impact your tests unless you are switching between targets of different armor value (which would be horrible to do in this sort of testing).

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Anyone got some more information on this? I did some testing and it seems that Sigil of the Night gives 0% damage modifier during night time in WvW. Is that intended?

Are you EU or NA? If you are going against my server, I'd be up for you testing it out on me on one of the BLs. That way you could ensure you were hitting the same target each time.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Anyone got some more information on this? I did some testing and it seems that Sigil of the Night gives 0% damage modifier during night time in WvW. Is that intended?

Are you EU or NA? If you are going against my server, I'd be up for you testing it out on me on one of the BLs. That way you could ensure you were hitting the same target each time.

Hey I'm EU, I'm on WSR.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

Hey I'm EU, I'm on WSR.

Dang.. NA here. Maybe someone that you are matched up with will offer up.

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

There's both great and misleading information there. Firstly, it shouldn't matter whether you have crits or not when testing damage modifiers as long as you are comparing damage under exactly the same conditions. This means striking the exact same target with the exact same stats and buffs/debuffs without any other modifiers ruining your tests while comparing crits to crits or non-crits to non-crits. Be especially careful of using attacks or traits that add vulnerability as that will make it much harder for you to spot what's going on. Using a low variance weapon should make it much easier to test but a higher weapon variance just means you should repeat the test more. Armor of the target will not impact your tests unless you are switching between targets of different armor value (which would be horrible to do in this sort of testing).

You have some good points. But the problem lies in the initial damage roll, before any modifiers or critical damage is applied. Let's do an example of 2 rolls:You get 1000 damage 1st strike, 1100 damage the second. For a non crit, that's a 100 (10% difference). For a crit (214 crit damage) that's 2140 1st strike and 2354 the 2nd. The difference is 214 (10% difference). When measuring variance, and especially here where all hits have separate rolls within a range, you'll want variance as low as possible for the most accurate result. If you have, say 60% crit chance, there's the possibility for 10 consecutive critical hits first try and 0 the second.

While I agree that if you do this enough times it won't matter, it's simply not efficient at all unless you write a computer script that runs it for you thousands of times. Lower variance = faster accuracy, which is necessary for in-game testing.Even the forum moderators do a 1 hour cap on their dps tests.

However just comparing min/max values should suffice in order to draw a reasonable conclusion on this topic. Of course you can go further and unequip all stat giving armor, turn off all traits (pick a traitline not currently represented on your hero panel, then just don't select any traits on it), and only use a guardians focus 4 skill for the best possible results, discounting any critical hits. This is the fastest way to achieve an accurate result, but certainly not the only one like you pointed out.

Archived