Roamers skill level

EremiteAngel.9765

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Very helpful list! As a fellow necro roamer, which type would you consider yourself to be and which type would you consider me to be?

One of my vids here for reference!To know you one have to fight you :)

I dont roam on a necro but from a mesmer perspective, I've seen both strong reapers and nearly useless reapers. The problem is that they are a sleeper class. You cant really tell from a glance how much of a threat they are going to be, not even when combat begins. I mean I could say that such a heavy condi build would generally stand no chance against me because I run a hybrid with enough cleanse to deal with it, but at the same time reapers can catch me by surprise. Alot depends on their lf regen skills.

The most dangerous reaper roamers I've met 1 on 1 has definetly been pure power though. With the power creep, they can hit insanely hard. I've seen them nearly instakill zerkers and if they got the lf regen to boot...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cant use pvp stats to measure wvw stats. Reason being is the fact that pvp uses templates while wvw uses more pve regulated skills more or less. What does that mean? Well you have people hitting about 3x as hard as their suppose to, and to top it of there is little to no balancing being done to pve/wvw skills.

on a side note you prob only seeing low ranks due to the fact the others have ether transferred or have quit wvw. Lets be honest wvw is garbage. Being spawned camped and not getting any wve or rewards is out right disgusting. As i'm typing this im litterly standing in ebg unable to attack anything cause idiots from kaining are spawn camping both sides lol

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Where have all the skilled roamers gone?

I don't know about the others, but I am still in Black Gate chasing groups of 10+ and killing the ones that fall behind.

He said skilled.. :tongue:

lol. BG left our pairing last night. A few days ago, a 20+ man BG zerg chased me about 3/4 across the whole map. They wouldn't let up either,lol. Zergs that do this (in general) are a joke, as are teh com's that direct them :p

I ended up juking them and WP'd and took one of their spawn camps before they could make it there.

Sticking to the topic. As a solo/duo roamer mainly (some small scale commanding) who love fights, I have seen that player skill drop, however class skill rise with certain classes...meaning more and more people are being carried by their class. More often than not you can tell who is carried and who is not.

Gw2 isn't like riding a bicycle, it takes practice. You don't stay good.Were people better in general back in vanilla? No, they were practicing more. Has skill level dropped? Yep. But if you're still going hard at it 6 years later it might be time for some life goal reflection

@Hitman.5829 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Where have all the skilled roamers gone?

I don't know about the others, but I am still in Black Gate chasing groups of 10+ and killing the ones that fall behind.

Careful now, you're pulling a FASTCAR, you should know how bad that is.

@Hitman.5829 said:I have said it once and I will say it again: ANET DEVELOPERS LOVE PLAYING WITH THEIR THIEVES AND MESMERS.

Oh Please!

On topic: The skill of roamers has only improved over the years, I haven't seen per @"SpellOfIniquity.1780"'s Keyboard Turner in ages. I feel like the median may have shifted closer towards Average, but that's to be expected with the game being 6 years old, players getting bored and moving on to other projects (games).Overall I'm quite pleased with the current skill level of roamers I run across.

Edit: It may be helpful in terms of illustrating your point if you mention the Region you're playing on, to help gauge the pool of players. EU and NA metas play out very differently.

@Elementalist Owner.7802 said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I feel like the skill level of roamers have dropped since POF...If I could use the PvP tiers to describe, pre-POF roamers I meet were largely gold tier, with a few plats and a rare legendary.Post-POF, roamers I meet were largely Bronze-Silver tier, with a few gold and a rare plat.Where have all the skilled roamers gone?

We all stopped playing because of deadeye one-shot garbage

(not my video but illustrates the point well enough)

what do you mean dood, deadeye is fine... just like like condi ghost thief was a while back...

and they fkin wonder why people leave this game...

Deadeye is a one dimensional spec that slightly underperforms, when compared to its Daredevil counterpart. They do spectacular damage yes, but they are almost impossible to sustain when counterpressured.

Furthermore, any buffs to the class need to be done extremely carefully as even slight miscalculations on the Devs can make or break the profession.

To be honest after quite a bit of playing the game and especially wvw you will realize how the player skill count 20% and the build 80%.Today I was fighting a decent holosmith, not bad, but not pro either, double elixir s, photon wall, elixir u.I landed on him every single cc at my disposal, he was literally dodging autoattacks, but he still managed to kill me because of the powercreep of the profession and not because he was good.

And no it's not a l2p issue. Because during the fight I probably made 2 mistakes and those mistakes ended up killing me, instead he made at least 10 mistakes and got away with that, and it's stupid.

Some build are able to carry bad players and make them look like gods, but in reality 90% of the job is made by the build, and not by the skill of the player.

With PoF the powercreep and build diversity got up to the stars, take for example those trash condi/hybrid mirage roamers, 90% of them win fights by build and not by skill, they can afford endless mistakes during a fight and still win regardless, when instead the enemy just do one mistake or dodge late and he is dead in a matter of seconds.

To see which player is better at a certain profession you should play same traits, same exactly gear stats, same weapons, same sigils and runes and same food, otherwise it's all about who got the best build wins.

I am a average player at best who tends to run off-meta wonky builds so this reduction in roamer skill is good for me, I can actually get kills. :p

Even if all of the skilled players came back the damage is so high that fights would be over in even less number of seconds. I wonder if that is why they left in the first place?

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I feel like the skill level of roamers have dropped since POF...If I could use the PvP tiers to describe, pre-POF roamers I meet were largely gold tier, with a few plats and a rare legendary.Post-POF, roamers I meet were largely Bronze-Silver tier, with a few gold and a rare plat.Where have all the skilled roamers gone?

Some of us have just stopped playing as much/regular and just simply lost our edge.

I used to WvW 1-2 hours a night for 5/7 nights a week. Now it's basically weekends.

It done got stale, and I got other games and things IRL to do.

@Elementalist Owner.7802 said:

We all stopped playing because of deadeye one-shot garbage

That too. I said many, many time that adding a sniper class to a fantasy based game was a bad idea, and no one listened. Takes a lot of the fun out, which is why I stopped playing WvW as much in peak hours after PoF hit.

@whoknocks.4935 said:To be honest after quite a bit of playing the game and especially wvw you will realize how the player skill count 20% and the build 80%.Today I was fighting a decent holosmith, not bad, but not pro either, double elixir s, photon wall, elixir u.I landed on him every single cc at my disposal, he was literally dodging autoattacks, but he still managed to kill me because of the powercreep of the profession and not because he was good.

And no it's not a l2p issue. Because during the fight I probably made 2 mistakes and those mistakes ended up killing me, instead he made at least 10 mistakes and got away with that, and it's stupid.

Some build are able to carry bad players and make them look like gods, but in reality 90% of the job is made by the build, and not by the skill of the player.

With PoF the powercreep and build diversity got up to the stars, take for example those trash condi/hybrid mirage roamers, 90% of them win fights by build and not by skill, they can afford endless mistakes during a fight and still win regardless, when instead the enemy just do one mistake or dodge late and he is dead in a matter of seconds.

To see which player is better at a certain profession you should play same traits, same exactly gear stats, same weapons, same sigils and runes and same food, otherwise it's all about who got the best build wins.

i think you see it a little wrong.what is a mistake for one build, might not be a mistake for another. you have to know what you have to avoid and which skills you can waste on that certain opponent depending on your build and theirs.sure their build might be in a major advantage against yours but that just means your build could use some improvements. its not a mistake if they know that your skills dont hurt much and that they got more offense than you can avoid anyway, why tryhard a fight that you already won by setup?i mean i also wont dodge a minstrel guards attacks, not his CCs etc. maybe ill care to interrupt some heal or apply poison now and then but thats it. am i then making tons of mistakes if he keeps hitting me for no damage?if someone plays a build that is highly in advantage against you and knows it, maybe doesnt even avoid your burst because he doesnt has to - then he still doesnt have to be a worse player.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:To be honest after quite a bit of playing the game and especially wvw you will realize how the player skill count 20% and the build 80%.Today I was fighting a decent holosmith, not bad, but not pro either, double elixir s, photon wall, elixir u.I landed on him every single cc at my disposal, he was literally dodging autoattacks, but he still managed to kill me because of the powercreep of the profession and not because he was good.

i think you see it a little wrong.what is a mistake for one build, might not be a mistake for another. you have to know what you have to avoid and which skills you can waste on that certain opponent depending on your build and theirs.sure their build might be in a major advantage against yours but that just means your build could use some improvements. its not a mistake if they know that your skills dont hurt much and that they got more offense than you can avoid anyway, why tryhard a fight that you already won by setup?i mean i also wont dodge a minstrel guards attacks, not his CCs etc. maybe ill care to interrupt some heal or apply poison now and then but thats it. am i then making tons of mistakes if he keeps hitting me for no damage?if someone plays a build that is highly in advantage against you and knows it, maybe doesnt even avoid your burst because he doesnt has to - then he still doesnt have to be a worse player.

He was a worse player than me, trust me.I am not a good player or anything but literally you could see how the build won and not him.

Sometimes those people dodge autoattacks, spam their skills random, I land all my burst and cc perfectly, but they are carried by build and they win.

There was this harrier celestial firebrand, I didn't know his build and it was a duel, so I didn't need to run away from the fight, he literally absorbed all my burst skills even without dodging, but he dodged autoattacks xD I play perfectly avoiding his tome CC, his tome big area damage skill, but nothing... even tho I was landing all my CCs on him and burst I couldn't drop him under 50% health not even once.

How is that a good player? That's just a player who wins by build because mine is not able to burst him down and he abuses gear stats.This doesn't make him a good player because he ended up beating me, just his build is good.

Of course you find those guys around who theorycrafted some odd build, know the build perfectly and know what is capable off, but a damn good player don't dodge autoattacks geez, even tho you know your build can absorb damage who the hell dodge autoattacks and not main important CC or burst telegraphed skills?

@whoknocks.4935 said:How is that a good player? That's just a player who wins by build because mine is not able to burst him down and he abuses gear stats.This doesn't make him a good player because he ended up beating me, just his build is good.Doesnt that make you a worse player by bringing a bad build?

Look it's real simple - build matters yes, builds can definetly carry, but its still intertwined with the player skill. Bringing a build that you perform good with is sort of the whole point of roaming. Those builds have pros and cons. Some are best 1v1, some are best 1vX, some can tank power, others can tank condi, some try to hybrid, some try to focus, etc etc. If you want the best example of how this matters, just go read the no downed state threads. People bring builds that may be good at killing players fast, but they're not good at following through when outmanned and then they kitten complain about it. They brought a bad build for the purpose and by definition become the worse player.

General roamer skill level hasn't changed, but its perception has. Combat is now spammier and faster paced, with power creep installed in all professions. These changes allow lesser skilled players to achieve higher results than the expected from their skill level, but at the same time it allows skilled players to achieve results that before had low chances to happen.But does this mean the skill has dropped? I don't think so. I look at roaming videos from several years ago and I see players constantly eating core eviscerates, people attacking clones and not the real mesmer, people not caring about confusion and killing themselves...It's really hard to claim it when such basic or telegraphed things were not countered before, and you compare them to the current much difficult to counter mechanics like 1 shot skills from stealth, CC with insane range, detargeting, 30 attacks in a second...

What it really has dropped is the amount of roamers considered masters: People that not only excelled in their professions but also had a deep knowledge of all other professions. People who knows what to avoid and which are the weaknesses to exploit against any professions and build.

Most EU WvW roamers are (and have always been) silver to gold tier carried by cheese builds like one shot deadeye, ultra mobility soulbeast, all kinds of mirages, holosmith and the good old condi daredevil. Most of these players have exactly one single rotation and zero flexibility in their playstyle. I do very rarely lose two times against the same player/build as I usually do adapt after the first encounter. These guys often do not even know why they won the first time and lost the second time. They do just spam stuff. That's definitely not plat level.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:How is that a good player? That's just a player who wins by build because mine is not able to burst him down and he abuses gear stats.This doesn't make him a good player because he ended up beating me, just his build is good.Doesnt that make you a worse player by bringing a bad build?

Look it's real simple - build matters yes, builds can definetly carry, but its still intertwined with the player skill. Bringing a build that
you
perform good with is
sort of the whole point of roaming
. Those builds have pros and cons. Some are best 1v1, some are best 1vX, some can tank power, others can tank condi, some try to hybrid, some try to focus, etc etc. If you want the best example of how this matters, just go read the no downed state threads. People bring builds that may be good at killing players fast, but they're not good at following through when outmanned and then they kitten complain about it. They brought a bad build for the purpose and by definition become the worse player.

Mine wasn't far from being a bad build, pretty solid 1vs1 build I win 90% of my encounters, but when I find those carrying builds, even if the enemy is bad, I lose, nothing to do.

That was my entire point, even dodging perfectly, landing all CC perfectly, bursting perfectly, you will end up without resources after made zero mistakes, the enemy is still up because hard carried by build and he kills you even tho he dodged anything.

One example in HoT roaming was druid, even tho you could drop him to 15% health, every 10 seconds celestial avatar was a compeltly fight reset to 100% health within few seconds, and instead his sustained damage was slowly eating you.

He could be a worse player than you, simply winning by build. Even tho your build is not trash and pretty strong at 1vs1.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

Look it's real simple - build matters yes, builds can definetly carry, but its still intertwined with the player skill. Bringing a build that
you
perform good with is
. Those builds have pros and cons. Some are best 1v1, some are best 1vX, some can tank power, others can tank condi, some try to hybrid, some try to focus, etc etc. If you want the best example of how this matters, just go read the no downed state threads. People bring builds that may be good at killing players fast, but they're not good at following through when outmanned and then they kitten complain about it. They brought a bad build for the purpose and by definition become the worse player.

Mine wasn't far from being a bad build, pretty solid 1vs1 build I win 90% of my encounters, but when I find those carrying builds, even if the enemy is bad, I lose, nothing to do.

That was my entire point, even dodging perfectly, landing all CC perfectly, bursting perfectly, you will end up without resources after made zero mistakes, the enemy is still up because hard carried by build and he kills you even tho he dodged anything.

One example in HoT roaming was druid, even tho you could drop him to 15% health, every 10 seconds celestial avatar was a compeltly fight reset to 100% health within few seconds, and instead his sustained damage was slowly eating you.

He could be a worse player than you, simply winning by build. Even tho your build is not trash and pretty strong at 1vs1.

if you dont have enough damage to kill your opponent, then they usually dont have enough to kill you either - especially if they are like you say bad players then they will use their skills too inefficient and wont kill you. now if they can random smash their buttons and still kill you, then your either naked or its not only a build issue ...or maybe they are not as bad as you make it out to be.them dodgin your autoattacks could aswell have more effects than just avoiding the hit. maybe they want to keep aegis in that moment for dmg, maybe they want to heal from that dodge etc. also giving your opponent the illusion of being a noob makes it easier to apply a burst or avoid theirs as they wont try as hard, humans are lazy.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

you
perform good with is

So what you are saying is that you should win 100% of the time instead a mere 90%, just because you have solid 1v1 build you're not supposed to loose against such random players?

Hm.

Some would call that being carried by a build.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

So what you are saying is that you should win 100% of the time instead a mere 90%, just because you have solid 1v1 build you're not supposed to loose against such random players?Hm.Some would call that being carried by a build.@"MUDse.7623" said:if you dont have enough damage to kill your opponent, then they usually dont have enough to kill you either - especially if they are like you say bad players then they will use their skills too inefficient and wont kill you. now if they can random smash their buttons and still kill you, then your either naked or its not only a build issue ...or maybe they are not as bad as you make it out to be.them dodgin your autoattacks could aswell have more effects than just avoiding the hit. maybe they want to keep aegis in that moment for dmg, maybe they want to heal from that dodge etc. also giving your opponent the illusion of being a noob makes it easier to apply a burst or avoid theirs as they wont try as hard, humans are lazy.

I think I can't express well because english is not my main language, but I will try with a figurative example.

You MUDse play deadeye for roaming in wvw, image the scenario in which you find a decent but worse than you firebrand using harrier celestial, and you see how he completely do "bullshits" he uses elite when not needed, he dodge your rifle autoattacks, but he doesn't dodge your DJ which is obviously a must dodge skill, but then he full in few seconds, you try readjust yourself, you try to land another DJ and you got the hit, but he absorbed it thanks to the build and doesn't get oneshot, he jumps on you because you are 1 second later on stealthing again or teleport and do the tome F1 aoe and you die in few seconds by that burst plus the condi damage he pulls off because the fight was a bit long and you used your cleanses and shadowstep as well to position yourself.

How would you feel about that? Seeing that you died by someone who dodges your autos but not your DJ and you were so close on killing him, but thanks to his build regen he survived and somehow even downed you.

He is probably a smart player because he found a strong stat combo which makes him commit several mistakes and still have great chances to win.

So the point is, good players exist, and I am not calling myself one of them, but very often those episodes happen to me, this especially against scourges, sometimes I fail one leap skill and jump into the shades or their elite skill and them spamming buttons in the keyboard wins... Instead you have to play perfectly to kill them, this is what I mean carried by build players.

That SAME firebrand running harrier celestial if switch to valkyrie-marauder and dodge autos (the more high risk version) would have zero chances to survive a fight, taht's why that particular build using harrier celestial stats is able to carry him to the win even tho is not that great player.This was my point, I hope you understood what I mean, if not nevermind I don't know what else to say.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

So what you are saying is that you should win 100% of the time instead a mere 90%, just because you have solid 1v1 build you're not supposed to loose against such random players?Hm.Some would call that being carried by a build.@"MUDse.7623" said:if you dont have enough damage to kill your opponent, then they usually dont have enough to kill you either - especially if they are like you say bad players then they will use their skills too inefficient and wont kill you. now if they can random smash their buttons and still kill you, then your either naked or its not only a build issue ...or maybe they are not as bad as you make it out to be.them dodgin your autoattacks could aswell have more effects than just avoiding the hit. maybe they want to keep aegis in that moment for dmg, maybe they want to heal from that dodge etc. also giving your opponent the illusion of being a noob makes it easier to apply a burst or avoid theirs as they wont try as hard, humans are lazy.

I think I can't express well because english is not my main language, but I will try with a figurative example.

You MUDse play deadeye for roaming in wvw, image the scenario in which you find a decent but worse than you firebrand using harrier celestial, and you see how he completely do "bullshits" he uses elite when not needed, he dodge your rifle autoattacks, but he doesn't dodge your DJ which is obviously a must dodge skill, but then he full in few seconds, you try readjust yourself, you try to land another DJ and you got the hit, but he absorbed it thanks to the build and doesn't get oneshot, he jumps on you because you are 1 second later on stealthing again or teleport and do the tome F1 aoe and you die in few seconds by that burst plus the condi damage he pulls off because the fight was a bit long and you used your cleanses and shadowstep as well to position yourself.

How would you feel about that? Seeing that you died by someone who dodges your autos but not your DJ and you were so close on killing him, but thanks to his build regen he survived and somehow even downed you.

He is probably a smart player because he found a strong stat combo which makes him commit several mistakes and still have great chances to win.

So the point is, good players exist, and I am not calling myself one of them, but very often those episodes happen to me, this especially against scourges, sometimes I fail one leap skill and jump into the shades or their elite skill and them spamming buttons in the keyboard wins... Instead you have to play perfectly to kill them, this is what I mean carried by build players.

That SAME firebrand running harrier celestial if switch to valkyrie-marauder and dodge autos (the more high risk version) would have zero chances to survive a fight, taht's why that particular build using harrier celestial stats is able to carry him to the win even tho is not that great player.This was my point, I hope you understood what I mean, if not nevermind I don't know what else to say.

sry no i dont understand. any build that can kill me, i can kill aswell - some fights are harder, some are easier but all is doable given the circumstances.unless you mean something like : most of the people i kill i wouldnt be able to kill on a lvl 2 ele ? thats obvious.if you with your build can kill 90% of your opponents, yet there are builds that you simply cant kill because your damage is so low and your sustain aswell..that is more telling about how weak your build is. why dont you play a build that can compete? i know , i know the ever same excuse of cheese bla bla. but if you kill people while you run a weak build doesnt that just mean that they are terribly bad ? not much to brag about a victory with a weak build, congrats you killed a noob. if you instead use all your knowlegde about the game and use the build that you yourself can get the very best results, then you wont have the issue you described above and you wont waste too much time fighting noobs that are 'carried', while you still get a fight from other people actually using their skill and knowledge of the game also in their build design.

edit: i had a ton of people tell me that they would have won if i was playing X. none of them was ready to change their build instead to kill me. the ones that are ready to do so dont complain but just change it and try again. if i then kill them on a build that they thought would counter me, they might get an other impression of how much i was carried or not.the problem is if we go the ever ending cycle of selflimiting and calling stuff out as cheese and carry to get a moral victory, this doesnt stop until your lvl 2 naked toon except for a white weapon. there is no set rule for what is 'OK' and what is not that everyone will agree to. the only set of rules that works for everyone is what the game offers, everyone can use it. if something is considered super broken OP and carrying even the worst players.. then just play it. if everyone allways plays the very best option they themselves think of and for some reason its the same build for everyone, then anet will quickly change things as something like that would quickly appear on their statistics. but yeah its much easier to play some weird weak 'definitely not cheese' build, die all the time and shout: if you guys would play X i would kill you all.. thats alot easier to do than actually use everything the game offers yourself and kill them all.

@"whoknocks.4935" said:That SAME firebrand running harrier celestial if switch to valkyrie-marauder and dodge autos (the more high risk version) would have zero chances to survive a fight, taht's why that particular build using harrier celestial stats is able to carry him to the win even tho is not that great player.This was my point, I hope you understood what I mean, if not nevermind I don't know what else to say.Thats not an argument you can make when roaming. Saying "if he had brought a kitten build I would have won easily!" have no bearing on anything. That's just wishful thinking for someone that lost the fight.

And that's why your build matters, yes. You build it to fight whatever comes your way as best you can but there will always be those built to counter you. If those episodes happen "very often"... maybe you should make a better build that can handle these particular enemies?

Maybe, just maybe that firebrand thought... "hm I'm meeting alot of these cheap thieves being carried by their builds so I'll run this setup to fight them better."

Archived