It’s that time again

Every couple of size-able updates like LW or holidays, there’s a new game breaking bug. Several times it’s been lag to absolute unusable levels, once it was shorter lag and then disconnects that you can’t escape and have to restart your computer for... this time around it’s a completely frozen screen where you can’t exit the game or restart, I’ve had to manually hold the power button on my laptop to get out. Sometimes I go for hours fine, sometimes only minutes. And before anyone comments it’s t computer or internet (seems like somebody always says that about any bug doesn’t it?), I’ve tested it on different computers and internets, I even played it in another town. Like the issues before it I’m sure it’ll be fixed and disappear someday soon but still really annoying

I've had this issue for years. Every couple of weeks or so at a completely random moment (idling, fighting, banking, whatever) my computer will hard freeze while playing GW2. I've only had this problem with GW2. I never could figure out the cause of it. I reboot and it runs fine for a couple of weeks before another hard freeze.

I haven't run into this problem yet. I just have to deal with the occasional disconnect for no reason, only GW2 will disconnect and without a real reason or pattern behind it. Ports are opened, firewalls disabled and it still happens.

If I had to guess it's because of heat or memory leaks being too much for your machine to handle.

I haven't encountered this exactly, but I do get a thing where I can log in fine but when I try to play the character selection screen won't come up. Gw2 is running and the background music for the selection screen plays but visually I'm still on my desktop and can't interact with anything. Even if I bring up the task manager, I can't do anything with it. Have to sign out to force gw2 to shut down. I would say this is not uncommon, more than once a week. But I'm due to rebuild my computer in the next month or two anyway so we'll see if it persists after that . . .

@Gop.8713 said:I haven't encountered this exactly, but I do get a thing where I can log in fine but when I try to play the character selection screen won't come up. Gw2 is running and the background music for the selection screen plays but visually I'm still on my desktop and can't interact with anything. Even if I bring up the task manager, I can't do anything with it.

Oh, I actually encounter this.In Windows 10, you can still just kill the process and start again. What I do is run the task manager, then choose gw2.exe (or whatever it's called) using the arrow keys, then press Delete. This kills the process without using the mouse, and everything seems to work fine the next time I run the game.

@Fenom.9457 said:And before anyone comments it’s t computer or internet (seems like somebody always says that about any bug doesn’t it?),In fact, it is the case that the player's computer and internet often are the root cause of certain types of issues.

On any given day, some of us are going to have hardware, software, network, ISP, or similar issues. Some of those days will be patch days, making it coincidental that GW2 is misbehaving.

I’ve tested it on different computers and internets, I even played it in another town.

That's more helpful than just saying the game freezes. Are you running similar OS on all the machines? Are the symptoms similar or identical? What other software is running alongside the game? What about keyboard/mice (and their associated software)? Have you tried adjusting GW2 settings (such as run in windowed-full-screen or not)?

Like the issues before it I’m sure it’ll be fixed and disappear someday soon but still really annoyingNearly always, when there's a game-breaking bug, there's a patch and, most of the time, ANet will say something; bugs don't just disappear.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@Gop.8713 said:I haven't encountered this exactly, but I do get a thing where I can log in fine but when I try to play the character selection screen won't come up. Gw2 is running and the background music for the selection screen plays but visually I'm still on my desktop and can't interact with anything. Even if I bring up the task manager, I can't do anything with it.

Oh, I actually encounter this.In Windows 10, you can still just kill the process and start again. What I do is run the task manager, then choose gw2.exe (or whatever it's called)
using the arrow keys
, then press Delete. This kills the process without using the mouse, and everything seems to work fine the next time I run the game.

True, but since I have to ctrlaltdel to bring up task manager signing off/on is works just as well for my purposes. Yours is still a good point for someone that doesn't want to close some other program they also have open though, or if their startup process is lengthy . . .

Archived