Blocking and Guild Chat

Mrs Lana.2506

Whilst the social system really isn't ideal and definitely needs an overhaul - I can't help feeling that the OP is easily offended and block heavy.

The feature is there to 'mute' people who are doing serious harm to the community, and it seems like you might just be blocking people for the sake of blocking people - judging from the wording you used, you've blocked a considerable amount of people.

I am a vocal gamer and my personality crashes with some players but I've never resorted to blocking so many people that I've noticed "trends".

Use the feature as it was intended, not just because you disagree with someone in your guild.

I noticed in my online "career" that people who block rigorously have a problem with the society in general and want to deny the existence of other-thinking beings - especially after requesting such arbitrary measures. I never block people be cause they are different. Maybe if someone would "stalk" me constantly or spamming my inbox or /w me with online gold etc.

@Blocki.4931 said:While I understand that it can be annoying, I seriously wonder what this would accomplish? Players can't harm you, they can hardly grief a single person on their own. They can't ninja loot you, they can't message you? What are they gonna do? Stalk you? Why does that matter? They are effectively wasting their time for nothing, think about that. They gain nothing besides looking very petty, because you can't even see whatever they are doing.

Besides, how do they see where you are? You can just change map and they would never know? Blocking somebody removes them from the friendslist too and if they use the guild window for that, well, my first paragraph applies.

Blocked people can still have you on their fl and see your online status and location at all times. They even still get notifications when you log in, if they have that feature turned on. It doesn't do any real harm to have someone follow you, but its not a pleasant gaming experience knowing you are being harassed by someone in this way if someone is jumping up and down on your characters head non stop while you try to kill stuff.

Edit: also I find your name funny in this context

@"ProtoGunner.4953" said:I noticed in my online "career" that people who block rigorously have a problem with the society in general and want to deny the existence of other-thinking beings - especially after requesting such arbitrary measures. I never block people be cause they are different. Maybe if someone would "stalk" me constantly or spamming my inbox or /w me with online gold etc.

This was my exact school of though.

I am all for blocking meaning actually blocking.I would go as far as implementing a no party/no squad for people in your block list. Meaning if a blocked person in your list is in a party/squad, you cannot enter either. And vice versa.I think people asking "why stay in a guild if you blocked one person" don't really think it through. I can argue with a member of my family to the point we don't talk anymore. Does that mean I have to...leave my family? Stop talking to all of them? Think twice, write once.

@"DakotaCoty.5721" said:Whilst the social system really isn't ideal and definitely needs an overhaul - I can't help feeling that the OP is easily offended and block heavy.

On the contrary; I don't block often and am open to talking about differences in opinion. When I do block it's either a case of someone harassing or abusing me.

The feature is there to 'mute' people who are doing serious harm to the community, and it seems like you might just be blocking people for the sake of blocking people - judging from the wording you used, you've blocked a considerable amount of people.

The feature is there for each individual to use to block people for themselves, not for me to cleanse the "community". That's what the 'report' function is for. Also, you're making leaps and bounds in your assumptions. I have about 5 people blocked who still use the game (last I saw anyway, I don't check often). The rest are gold sellers.

Use the feature as it was intended, not just because you disagree with someone in your guild.

I am using it as intended, to personally block people for harassment and/or abuse. Tell me how that's against the rules. Last I checked that was exactly what it was designed for. And again, making incorrect assumptions. Please try to make 100% less assumptions in your next post, it'll save us both a lot of time, and add a lot more to the thread.

@Deepcuts.9740 said:I would go as far as implementing a no party/no squad for people in your block list. Meaning if a blocked person in your list is in a party/squad, you cannot enter either. And vice versa.

I wouldn't quite want it taken that far. If there's someone I've blocked in a squad for DS meta, I wouldn't want to miss out on the whole thing because one person is in a squad of 40+. Nor would I want to be unable to join a party in LFG because there's only one person out of four in there that I've blocked. Especially being in a farming guild, the chance that the one person I have blocked there will appear in a squad would be fairly high, but you'd have to go out of your way to find that person, which is a waste of time anyway.

I personally have a huge block list. It is mostly because there is no apparent limit to how many can be on that list so deleting from it is a waste of time in my opinion. I don't care really what people say to friends I just don't want to read a bunch of garbage on my screen when I am playing. I sometime turns out that the person on the list becomes a commander or such but I have honestly never found that if I remove that person I think at a later date what a wonderful player they are.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@"DakotaCoty.5721" said:Whilst the social system really isn't ideal and definitely needs an overhaul - I can't help feeling that the OP is easily offended and block heavy.

On the contrary; I don't block often and am open to talking about differences in opinion. When I do block it's either a case of someone harassing or abusing me.

The feature is there for each individual to use to block people for themselves, not for me to cleanse the "community". That's what the 'report' function is for. Also, you're making leaps and bounds in your assumptions. I have about 5 people blocked who still use the game (last I saw anyway, I don't check often). The rest are gold sellers.

I am using it as intended, to personally block people for harassment and/or abuse. Tell me how that's against the rules. Last I checked that was exactly what it was designed for. And again, making incorrect assumptions. Please try to make 100% less assumptions in your next post, it'll save us both a lot of time, and add a lot more to the thread.

@Deepcuts.9740 said:I would go as far as implementing a no party/no squad for people in your block list. Meaning if a blocked person in your list is in a party/squad, you cannot enter either. And vice versa.

I wouldn't quite want it taken that far. If there's someone I've blocked in a squad for DS meta, I wouldn't want to miss out on the whole thing because one person is in a squad of 40+. Nor would I want to be unable to join a party in LFG because there's only one person out of four in there that I've blocked. Especially being in a farming guild, the chance that the one person I have blocked there will appear in a squad would be fairly high, but you'd have to go out of your way to find that person, which is a waste of time anyway.

Guild Wars 2 has an amazing and diverse community, I can't imagine people are actively harassing and abusing you. Aforementioned, I have an explosive personality, I am also openly in a same-sex relationship and I have never received any type of abuse or harassment within this community.

I honestly feel there's some exaggeration or hyperbole here.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Whilst the social system really isn't ideal and definitely needs an overhaul - I can't help feeling that the OP is easily offended and block heavy.

@"Deepcuts.9740" said:I would go as far as implementing a no party/no squad for people in your block list. Meaning if a blocked person in your list is in a party/squad, you cannot enter either. And vice versa.

Guild Wars 2 has an amazing and diverse community, I can't imagine people are actively harassing and abusing you. Aforementioned, I have an explosive personality, I am also openly in a same-sex relationship and I have never received any type of abuse or harassment within this community.

I always think its really to do with someones tolerance level. Some people find repeatedly saying something along the lines: "oh youre so obviously insert label here" harassment. Others can take endless amount of verbal abuse and think nothing of it. (two extremes btw, not applicable to anyone in particular) Feeling harassed is pretty much that, a feeling.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The other part which is concerning to me is needing to block someone in a guild I am in..

I guess i view my guilds differently. I can't see being in a guild of 500 people.. I tend to know the ones in the guilds I am in.

If I feel the need to block them, I would need to reevaluate why I am in that guild.If this is happening within a guild, and depending on the reason for wanting to block a fellow member, this may be an issue you can bring up with the guild leadership.

If one of my members was actively stalking/harassing/trolling another, as an officer I would take that seriously and I'd definitely help put an end to it. Nobody wants to police these things, and reporting is always preferable and advisable if sometimes ineffective. But I look out for my guild members and I wouldn't tolerate actions that clearly break the GW2 Code of Conduct within my guild, either.

If it was merely an annoyance or personality clash...well guild members don't have to like each other. That is what the block feature is for, and in my opinion it works well enough for that purpose. If you feel the need for zero contact...well no, it doesn't do that and I doubt they'll change it. You should probably contact support and see if they can assist you.

@Deimos.4263 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The other part which is concerning to me is needing to block someone in a guild I am in..

I guess i view my guilds differently. I can't see being in a guild of 500 people.. I tend to know the ones in the guilds I am in.

If I feel the need to block them, I would need to reevaluate why I am in that guild.If this is happening within a guild, and depending on the reason for wanting to block a fellow member, this may be an issue you can bring up with the guild leadership.

If one of my members was actively stalking/harassing/trolling another, as an officer I would take that seriously and I'd definitely help put an end to it. Nobody wants to police these things, and reporting is always preferable and advisable if sometimes ineffective. But I look out for my guild members and I wouldn't tolerate actions that clearly break the GW2 Code of Conduct within my guild, either.

If it was merely an annoyance or personality clash...well guild members don't have to like each other. That
is
what the block feature is for, and in my opinion it works well enough for that purpose. If you feel the need for zero contact...well no, it doesn't do that and I doubt they'll change it. You should probably contact support and see if they can assist you.

Oh I agree completely. My statement is if the guild leadership wasn't supportive, I'd leave it.

But honestly, the guilds I am in, it wouldn't be a problem for long, as the leadership there would have my back.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Whilst the social system really isn't ideal and definitely needs an overhaul - I can't help feeling that the OP is easily offended and block heavy.

Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean other people havnt. I have had the offensive name for disabled people screamed at me over and over in all caps by multiple members of a guild until I blocked them all. Ive also had players send me harassing mails threatening me due to some guild drama.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

I dunno. I generally feel that if you have an issue thats serious enough that warrants such action, support is always much better for the simple fact that the player doesnt simply get away with bad behaviour.

With online/offline status this is similar. It would be onesided control to be able to control whether one unfortunate player could be excluded while having no control whether he gets seen as on or offline, unless blocking as well.

Did you even read the post just above yours? A year of reporting and the player is still playing. We need better tools to control our own situation because relying on Anet doesn't cut it.

@Blocki.4931 said:Besides, how do they see where you are? You can just change map and they would never know? Blocking somebody removes them from the friendslist too and if they use the guild window for that, well, my first paragraph applies.

People you have blocked that have you on their friend list still get notified when you log on, and can see what map you are on.

And to the guy saying 'big deal' about someone following you around a map, actually it's a pretty big deal psychologically. To know that every time you log on you are going to get stalked and theyre going to be right there in your face is pretty oppressive.

I don't care if ppl i have blocked can see what I say very much but I can see areas where it would be useful. But at the very least you should be offline forever and untrackable in game to those people.

@Celsith.2753 said:

I dunno. I generally feel that if you have an issue thats serious enough that warrants such action, support is always much better for the simple fact that the player doesnt simply get away with bad behaviour.

With online/offline status this is similar. It would be onesided control to be able to control whether one unfortunate player could be excluded while having no control whether he gets seen as on or offline, unless blocking as well.

Did you even read the post just above yours? A year of reporting and the player is still playing. We need better tools to control our own situation because relying on Anet doesn't cut it.

Thats ironic then, because it seems to me you're relying on ArenaNet either way.

Also I clearly quoted a post, where I was talking in general, not about single cases,. Which are very subjective either way.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

So because you haven't experienced it you can't imagine anyone else experiencing it? I am speechless at how completely absurd and ignorant your stance is.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:Let me start this off by saying thank you devs for fixing the issue back at release where blocking someone would not prevent their messages from coming through guild chat. What we have is a big step forward.

Blocking someone currently prevents their messages from coming through most channels, and that's fantastic; however, my husband and I recently found out that even though blocking someone else prevents you from seeing their messages, it does not prevent them from seeing your messages. I don't think this should be the case.

Attached is a link to two screenshots of our chats where I have blocked my husband's account to test my hypothesis. One is a shot of my screen where I can see only the message I sent. The other is a shot of his screen where he can see both what I sent and what he sent.

If I have blocked someone it's because I want 0 contact with them. I don't want them to be able to see that I'm online, nor do I want them to be able to message me. Why should they be able to see what I am saying? The "block" function gave me the impression that it completely ceases communication from and to that person, but that's certainly not the case. I feel strongly that it should be changed.

If you have someone blocked they cannot contact you, ( hence 0 contact ) what difference does it make if they can see what you say or not, they have no way to reply so it makes no difference, you also state you dont want the blocked person to see you online, again they cannot contact you what difference does it make, in order to achieve what you ask, Anet would have to make it that you completely disappear when logged into them, meaning if you and the blocked player are on the same map is some how hides that person from you and vice versa, where it probably would be possible, it would be such a waste of resources, just do what the rest of us do, Block someone then forget about them.

You can track the person who blocked you and continue to grief said player..

You can also work around the block by adding people to party and squad but its been about a year since ive done it, could have been changed by now.

@Celsith.2753 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Besides, how do they see where you are? You can just change map and they would never know? Blocking somebody removes them from the friendslist too and if they use the guild window for that, well, my first paragraph applies.

People you have blocked that have you on their friend list still get notified when you log on, and can see what map you are on.

And to the guy saying 'big deal' about someone following you around a map, actually it's a pretty big deal psychologically. To know that every time you log on you are going to get stalked and theyre going to be right there in your face is pretty oppressive.

I don't care if ppl i have blocked can see what I say very much but I can see areas where it would be useful. But at the very least you should be offline forever and untrackable in game to those people.

At the very least this should be changed. I haven't had characters follow mine for longer than ~30 minutes, but it definitely is distressing. I don't even know why the devs decided to put the location on people in your blocked list. To me that seems like a bad move that would be used more for harassment than to avoid people you have blocked.

I can see why friends lists where you have to accept or reject requests are used (I like and dislike those for a few different reasons), but I think at the very least it should be similar to how gw1 has it set up. I can add anyone to my FL, but I can only see if they're online, not where they are. If we both have each other on our FL, then we can both see the area in where the other person is in addition to seeing them as online.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:I wish block could actually block them like if you block you cant be on same map. No matter instance of map and blocked person wouldnt be able to see your chat.This would be more helpful way

This probably enters the realm of impinging on other people's game play unnecessarily. You'd be able to block someone simply because you dont like them and effectively deny them access to ongoing metas, for example.

Being unable to join party or squad with someone who has you blocked would be nice though. Not just in pve, there's certain players who join enemy squads in wvw just to harrass the commanders, for example.

Archived