Should ANET introduce a basic tutorial on PvP for new players?

Arlette.9684

A tutorial is certainly most desired if the ranked q system won't allow us to q with more than one friend. This tutorial should not only teach rotations but also roles and give players a basic understanding of what to expect from each profession.

Personal Skill which involves into: knowing cds, dodge counting, mechanics, etc... Depend on the player itself.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Vieux P.1238 said:should they? no it's a waste of money.

@Arlette.9684 said:

@Vieux P.1238 said:should they? no it's a waste of money.

And so is PvP with it’s current population being as low as it is.

& wasting money on making a tutorial is as good as wasting money on gw2 ESL. It won't bring more people back.Won't even waste one ounce of breath to explain on what will cuz it already has been discussed.

@tinyreborn.1938 said:They should have done that yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago....

Fun fact! They had one waaaaaay long ago shortly after release before they changed the HotM for the first time. It wasn't that good, but taught you about capping, decapping, and even had you fight on a point to demonstrate what happened. Long since been removed though.:(

@Wisty.4135 said:

Fun fact! They had one waaaaaay long ago shortly after release before they changed the HotM for the first time. It wasn't that good, but taught you about capping, decapping, and even had you fight on a point to demonstrate what happened. Long since been removed though.:(I wonder how I missed that?:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

Fun fact! They had one waaaaaay long ago shortly after release before they changed the HotM for the first time. It wasn't that good, but taught you about capping, decapping, and even had you fight on a point to demonstrate what happened. Long since been removed though.:(I wonder how I missed that?:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yep, removed in 2015 for good. Could certainly use a revamped one, for sure. Though teaching intricacies of classes and roles could be difficult outside of actually playing the game. It's an interesting question though, for sure.

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@malisivo.5264 said:And you do realize that the forum itself has a tutorial, right?You seems to NOT realize that nobody go to forums to learn how to play ? (only few that do)Otherwise I wouldnt see 4 man capping points ,people wouldnt be like monkeys chase 1 guy around a node for 5 minutes and so on

No need to be so serious. I said that with something called sarcasm. I know that people don't check the forums for tutorials. Doesn't mean that there aren't tutorials around.

My opinion still stands. I think mentorship is more important than a tutorial at the moment.

@deadpool.7036 said:

@"Sampson.2403" said:LOL come on football is way more complex than GW2. This game is super simple - over-glorified map control at best. The game mode descriptions explains this very well. If someone can't figure out that the game is about controlling the nodes, then no tutorial will help them.

You wanna be good at this game? Two things you need to do:
  1. Learn all the cooldowns from all the meta builds so you can pwn anyone 1v1 or survive 2v1 while you kite like an kitten hole
  2. Learn all the kiting spots, sit on the enemy home node and give your team an enormous advantage

I am personally not willing to invest my time into learning these things, so i gather them slowly, and I one shot to HEAVEN.

You're looking at this from the perspective of a player that has learned strategy through months and years of trial and error. Now think back to when you first started, wouldn't you've been happier if there was a tutorial that at least touched upon those things?

Months and years? It took me one night mate, maybe 5 games. It really isn't that complex.

The tutorial told me what was special about the map. Boom, done. Priority: Event when it procs, capture points, don't die, keep enemy from capping.

However, I've watched my other 4 teammates run to the middle, get AoEd to death. And then repeat that 8 more times till the end of the match. So.....

Well...that's the whole point, you need to be smart against other human players..."you don't win on point A..you go to point B"...you don't need a tutorial for that...it's just basic every day common sense like...you get burned if you touch fire

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"Sampson.2403" said:LOL come on football is way more complex than GW2. This game is super simple - over-glorified map control at best. The game mode descriptions explains this very well. If someone can't figure out that the game is about controlling the nodes, then no tutorial will help them.

1. Learn all the cooldowns from all the meta builds so you can pwn anyone 1v1 or survive 2v1 while you kite like an kitten hole
  2. Learn all the kiting spots, sit on the enemy home node and give your team an enormous advantage

I am personally not willing to invest my time into learning these things, so i gather them slowly, and I one shot to HEAVEN.

You're looking at this from the perspective of a player that has learned strategy through months and years of trial and error. Now think back to when you first started, wouldn't you've been happier if there was a tutorial that at least touched upon those things?

Months and years? It took me one night mate, maybe 5 games. It really isn't that complex.

The tutorial told me what was special about the map. Boom, done. Priority: Event when it procs, capture points, don't die, keep enemy from capping.

However, I've watched my other 4 teammates run to the middle, get AoEd to death. And then repeat that 8 more times till the end of the match. So.....

Well...that's the whole point, you need to be smart against other human players..."you don't win on point A..you go to point B"...you don't need a tutorial for that...it's just basic every day common sense like...you get burned if you touch fire

I think you’ll find that common sense, ain’t common at all these days. And not just in GW2.

@Arlette.9684 said:

I think you’ll find that common sense, ain’t common at all these days. And not just in GW2.

Right? I mean look who we elected for president. Rofl to the mao x 100000

@Sampson.2403 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:LOL come on football is way more complex than GW2. This game is super simple - over-glorified map control at best. The game mode descriptions explains this very well. If someone can't figure out that the game is about controlling the nodes, then no tutorial will help them.

When you say we, are you including yourself?

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:LOL come on football is way more complex than GW2. This game is super simple - over-glorified map control at best. The game mode descriptions explains this very well. If someone can't figure out that the game is about controlling the nodes, then no tutorial will help them.

When you say we, are you including yourself?

I am am American, and we as a people elected the power that be.

Some how some way i have contributed to the retardation of our society, even if it was just a wrongly timed fart.

@"FyzE.3472" said:Standard answer would be something like "Too much work. Won't do. Thanks!" And be followed by the stuff you can buy from gemstore in every patch note ever

That would be the most logical choice for any company aiming to make profit. Too much investment for too little return on it. That said, more communication and exchanges with playerbase are invaluable and demand only a little time. Pve players need content and shiny stuff. PvP players just need some attention. Like kids who need toys and ones who just enjoy spending time with their parents.

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

@"FyzE.3472" said:Standard answer would be something like "Too much work. Won't do. Thanks!" And be followed by the stuff you can buy from gemstore in every patch note ever

That would be the most logical choice for any company aiming to make profit. Too much investment for too little return on it. That said, more communication and exchanges with playerbase are invaluable and demand only a little time. Pve players need content and shiny stuff. PvP players just need some attention. Like kids who need toys and ones who just enjoy spending time with their parents.

Yeah if only people who want to try PvP would have a tutorial or something and don't leave because the game has no tutorial and they have to learn themselves. They would stay and bought the game and bought gems... Am I the only one who thinks that way? Or you think that people will throw money ASAP?

Edit: Like I said somewhere else. PvP IS profitable! People who play the game for it's PvP WILL buy gems to look cool. They don't do that because PvP sucks. If a person enjoys the game, he/she will spend money on it if he/she can. Because of enjoyment. Not the other way around.People don't spend money FIRST unless they absolutely have to and if they can have a refund later. If they enjoy the product, they are willing to buy more stuff. Because the product is good and customers feel like it is worth it to buy skins and what not to look cooler or what ever.But quality comes first.

Archived