Old and slow. Is there hope for me?

Victros.8154

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:If you fail at some task, and your excuse is you're old and slow, then the problem is not that you're old and slow. The problem is that you don't want to adapt, which is a much more common state of mind for old people than it is for young people.

May I ask how old are you? I found your whole post somewhat insulting, even if you did not mean it that way. Just because someone is older than you, does not make them automatically stupid.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 50. Sorry, if my post insulted you. It was not my intention to insult anyone - it is my intention to encourage everybody to be more observant in the game and not try to simply press keys. From my experience with other older people (older than me), many older people really don't try to adapt to the game as it is necessary. Even I find myself being too lazy to adapt in some cases.It depends on which level you are too lazy to adapt to go to the next level. Is it the open world roaming alone? The personal story? Fractals 1-20? Or Fractals 70-100?

If it comes to my lazyness, I mastered up to Fractals 100. But I had to be pulled into learning these. If there were not my friends, I would have declined. But this was also my limit: no fractal challenge modes, no raids. Too straining.The reward was good: All training, adapting, learning was taxing, but once mastered, it made the ordinary play in open world and the personal story so easy it was one of the most fun I ever had. One developer once said, Guild Wars 2 is about the joy of movement. Yes, this is where I got to and what was fun.

I want to encourage everybody to get to a higher level of understanding of the game , even if he doesn't want in the first place, because there waits a reward - the joy of playing the game. Not just staying alive.

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:I'm 50. Sorry, if my post insulted you. It was not my intention to insult anyone - it is my intention to encourage everybody to be more observant in the game and not try to simply press keys. From my experience with other older people (older than me), many older people really don't try to adapt to the game as it is necessary. Even I find myself being too lazy to adapt in some cases.It depends on which level you are too lazy to adapt to go to the next level. Is it the open world roaming alone? The personal story? Fractals 1-20? Or Fractals 70-100?

If it comes to my lazyness, I mastered up to Fractals 100. But I had to be pulled into learning these. If there were not my friends, I would have declined. But this was also my limit: no fractal challenge modes, no raids. Too straining.The reward was good: All training, adapting, learning was taxing, but once mastered, it made the ordinary play in open world and the personal story so easy it was one of the most fun I ever had. One developer once said, Guild Wars 2 is about the joy of movement. Yes, this is where I got to and what was fun.

I want to encourage everybody to get to a higher level of understanding of the game , even if he doesn't want in the first place, because there waits a reward - the joy of playing the game. Not just staying alive.

Yeah...maybe laziness sometimes, but age does have an effect. I turn 70 this year. My eyes and hands work okay...but sometimes not well together. I try most things. But honestly, I do what I enjoy doing. If something about the game requires more practice and learning...and I enjoy the activity, I'll invest in it. But I will not beat my head bloody against a brick wall simply to say that I have mastered something. I do this for fun, not mastery. And there is a ton of stuff to do in GW2 that I really enjoy, so I have no need to master something that I don't find fun.

I'm 60 next week and I don't find GW2 particularly difficult. My reaction time isn;'t what it was when Ii was 20 but it's not much different to what it was when I was 40, which is how old I was when I first started playing MMORPGs. Since launch I have always dodged by clicking the arcs above my health "bar" (the big circles in the center of the screen at the bottom). I've tried double-tapping and binding a key but neither gives anything like the finesse or control for me. Dodging that way I can play any class in normal PvE and I play an Ele, which is supposedly not the most straightforward class, in WvW without too much trouble.

I agree with Silmar. I'm not that old but have terribad twitch reflexes. I have one of each profession bar ele and engi because i struggle with skill timings and can't seem to wrap my head around how engi works.

Knowledge is power. What i found when i started gw2 was that knowing the mechanics of the encounter/boss/mob allowed me to mitigate their attacks/reposition to avoid aoe etc. If you know that idk, say a champ giant in Orr will spawn grubs once every 20 secs (just a number for illustration) then you can time your skills to deal with them so they don't overwhelm you as you're fighting the giant. Wiki is very useful here; read-up on an encounter or mob before you have to fight it or give yourself a few trial runs to see their moves- this allows you to adjust your build if you have to.

It's also worth knowing that most mobs and encounters have skills or mechanics which are timed around the dodge timer, such that you will either always be able to evade or that you won't have an evade ready so you have to compensate in some other way, such as using a skill which has an evade/block/invuln or repositioning to avoid the (usually telegraphed) aoe. A good example of this is Southsun Cove; you can avoid all of the karka's special attacks by dodging, but reef drakes will have you out of dodges so you need to compensate if you go melee.

Just knowing what your skills do aside from damage can also go a long way to keeping you up. For example, i run an interrupt/reflect chrono build in pve and have such fun with it :). My daredevil is of a similar theme with distracting daggers and fist flurry as utilities, my core guard uses the retaliation build for some nice damage and survivability, my necro is condi-scourge/reaper and my ranger is condi-soulbeast/healer-druid. My rev is condi-renegade and my warr is just a standard troll build with mace/axe and lb.

You won't need to memorise every attack or encounter in the game, but if you can prepare a little in advance you can give yourself the heads-up which could make the difference between being challenged yet able to complete, or being unable to overcome a certain mechanic/attack due to a weakness in your build. For me, it's less stressful if i can anticipate and accommodate an attack than having to deal with it when i'm in the middle of a skill/rotation/whatever.

Good luck :)

Archived