Server Pride OR Guild Pride: Which is better?

Whiteout.1975

@"Swamurabi.7890" said:Server pride lasts until that one large guild jumps to another server.

It was guilds that destroyed SoR for example, one large guild left and 5 other guilds followed after than imploding the server from t1 to t5 in months. It was people loyal to those guilds that killed the server and not those loyal to the server who stayed and tried to help it. The same will happen with "worlds" when one big ally starts to fall apart because of in-fighting between guild leaders and their egos which is going to happen. Then they, in turn, will destroy the guilds in the ally who don't want drama and then the worlds themselves. You will see new worlds born every 3 months and half-built allies in a lot of them after one ally has collapsed due to infighting. Then people spending weeks trying to form new allies and getting up voicecomms again. This will repeat every 3 months. And this affects everyone in the world not just the ally or guilds but roamers also. Ally system put too much power into a groups hands which can destroy the whole game mode for everyone. A worlds ally falls apart and the whole world falls apart and everyone gives up, this guild support is going to be the death of this game mode.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Traveller.7496 said:I've been on the same server since I started the game in 2012, so I would feel weird changing.

Pretty much this. Yes, a guild is a sort of in-game family. But the server is where your guild lives. It's your anchor, your neighbours, the people on the block. You don't necessarily get along with them all the time, but when push comes to shove you'll band together to protect your patch. You know- the sort of communities these games were supposed to foster. So that the game woudl be filled with characters you'd come to know for good or ill. At least that's how it should be/should have been.

Megaserver and map dumping didn't help this because what we're left with on average is a few people in a mostly empty map(save for taxi'ing during certain world boss events) which gives the game the feeling of being in a theme park after hours. There's nothing homey feeling about the game anymore. This is bad.

Without a home to protect what's the point to having a guild, let alone an alliance? What are you allied for? What are you defending? What's your purpose. Getting loot? Why? To get more loot? Why? To defend your side? What side? Now that it's completely mutable what does that even mean? How does it even matter?

After the changes when someone asks, 'Where's your guild from?' The inevitable answer will be, 'Nowhere.' Or if the conversation lasts long enough you might have to tell them you played together in another game before GW2 and in that game you were from 'insert name here' server. Not good if you have to identify your home or origin in game with another, older game because the game world you're in isn't much of a world at all anymore.

Guild Pride is better, because the game is called "Guild Wars" ;)

[i bet I am the first one to make this kind of statement]

EDIT:No seriously. Guild Pride makes kind of sense, because you most likely choose a guild with players or an "atmosphere" you prefer. In this sense you can kind of control what group you belong to. But a server is too big a collection of different people. It isn't necessarily themed around a common goal unlike guilds usually are.

EDIT 2:However when the game was still young and world linking wasn't a thing I was kinda proud belonging to FoW, because the non-bandwagoners where sticking with the server. So we had a small collection of loyal players that almost felt like a guild, even though we were a collection of some small guilds doing WvW. But you knew each other, you even knew most of the players of the opposing small servers. I don't know. It was like a little family battling it out week after week or trying to survive against an onslaught of overwhelming numbers... thinking about that, I kinda miss the old days... can I change my answer back?

Can I pick "Proud guild members that are proud of being in the same server community?" I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive.

I don't think I will ever see my best moments of WvW when members of multiple guilds work together in the name and pride of their server. When guilds would proudly say "We are a __server_name__ guild"

server pride breeds toxicity towards guilds/players on other servers, and even the players on their own servers who aren't working towards the mandated "server cause".

guild pride leads you to respect guilds around you, friendly or not, who clearly put effort into their membership and play

Given the large amounts of bandwagon behavior since the release of this game, server pride has diluted to nil post-HoT/server-linkage era. If you just take a survey of which players are on which server, you will find certain band of groups will always be together regardless of which server is the FOTM. Many guilds also experience large turnovers, but atleast the corruption and back-handed tactics of server leaders is not as prominent. Also, given the tentative plan of converting GW2 WvW into an alliance-structured environment will deem servers obsolete. I have been fortunate to have played with quality guilds and players, so these are just my personal observations.

In any case, any kind of pride in general is dangerous to have. Hubris goes a long way to deteriorate your mind and soul. Keep it in check.

Archived