Dual legends

lordbachus.6091

@lordbachus.6091 said:Maybe it would be fun if they allowed for dual legends(Choosing the same legend in both slots)That way if prferred you could play in the same legend indefinately..

Manage you Energy accordingly and you can stay in a single Legend for as long as you want. Though I do agree with @DonArkanio.6419 , what is the point in playing a profession that is built around swapping Legends if all you want to do is not play as the profession requires you to play?

@Dace.8173 said:

@lordbachus.6091 said:Maybe it would be fun if they allowed for dual legends(Choosing the same legend in both slots)That way if prferred you could play in the same legend indefinately..

Manage you Energy accordingly and you can stay in a single Legend for as long as you want. Though I do agree with @DonArkanio.6419 , what is the point in playing a profession that is built around swapping Legends if all you want to do is not play as the profession requires you to play?

Its a matter of freedom of choice...And being able to play the class in a way you want...

Yes you can currently stay in a single legend indefinately.. but you get penalized by the me hanic for doing so...

I can envision enough situations and roles where sticking to the same legend would be wanted...

@lordbachus.6091 said:

Its a matter of freedom of choice...And being able to play the class in a way you want...

Yes you can currently stay in a single legend indefinately.. but you get penalized by the me hanic for doing so...

I can envision enough situations and roles where sticking to the same legend would be wanted...

Well, I know there are some people who like specific legends but they are not the whole class. What makes Revenant special is that you always have to mix your legends' powers in order to achieve the best results. It's like playing Elementalist without changing elements. I don't think we are talking about the freedom of choice here, because well, you are free to stick to only one legend. Let's say Elementalist could have 2x Water + Fire + Earth. But what's the point?

@lordbachus.6091 said:

You have the freedom to choose. If you choose to remain in a single Legend then you need to adjust your playstyle to accommodate it. As for playing the profession the way you want to, ...... Each profession has a specific playstyle and a way of working. When you pick up that profession you agree to work within that playstyle. If you play Elementalist you have to develop a playstyle that swaps Attunements in order to get the most out of what you are doing. This is true of any profession in any game. There is no such thing as 100% your way as it is an impossible thing to create and to balance around.

I'm sure you can envision situations and roles were sticking to the same legend would be wanted. This is not an inherently unique thing. Each profession will have aspects that sure, could work in other situations, but don't work that way because that's not how the profession plays. I'm sure there are times where being able to stay attuned to Fire and not needing to attune to other elements for their support would be beneficial. Full DPS at all times. The fact is, you can remain in the same Legend. You are not penalized for doing so. You have to manage your Energy to do so. I've done PvP matches (and won) where all I did was stay in Glint and made use of my two swords. I did that by carefully managing my Energy so that it worked.

This is the playstyle of the profession though. When you play Revenant you are agreeing to that playstyle if you want to do well with it. Playing against the mechanic is not a punishment. If you don't have enough Energy because you camped a Legend then you are not being penalized. You failed to play the profession to its true potential, nothing more. In no way is this about freedom of choice. It's about freedom from consequences for playing against the mechanic. Saying you're penalized because you want to remain in one Legend is the same thing as saying you got penalized as an Elementalist because all you wanted to do was stay attuned to fire and thus did not make use of Water to heal or Earth to sustain and ended up dying.

Playing against the mechanic is not a penalty. If the mechanic is to change your elements in order to access all your potential then not doing so is not a penalty. If the mechanic is generating clones in order to win and you choose not to, you are not being penalized. Asking to have the profession changed so that you don't have to play the way the profession was designed to play though ...? Really? Why learn to play any profession properly? Why not just have them all work the same way across the board so that no one has to adjust their playstyle to suit the profession they are playing.

@Dace.8173 said:what is the point in playing a profession that is built around swapping Legends if all you want to do is not play as the profession requires you to play?To be fair, Soulbeast addresses the needs of those ranger mains who didn't want to have a pet out all the time, even though the profession was (originally) designed to be pet assisted 100% of the time.

@"lordbachus.6091" said:Its a matter of freedom of choice...And being able to play the class in a way you want...No one can play any class exactly as they want. You can't shatter minions and phantasms won't remain indefinitely. Profs are built & balanced around certain mechanics — those that don't enjoy the synergies of those mechanics are essentially saying that they don't like the class (instead, they like a modified idea of the class, with different constraints).

I'm not against ANet making changes. I just don't think it's helpful to argue "buh buh my creativity is being hampered." If that was really true, then the chronotank would never have been invented: that's a role that wasn't originally intended but creative minds figured out how to make it work to the point that none of us can remember when chronos didn't commander aggro & boons (just skips and adds-control).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Dace.8173 said:what is the point in playing a profession that is built around swapping Legends if all you want to do is not play as the profession requires you to play?To be fair, Soulbeast addresses the needs of those ranger mains who didn't want to have a pet out all the time, even though the profession was (originally) designed to be pet assisted 100% of the time.

@"lordbachus.6091" said:Its a matter of freedom of choice...And being able to play the class in a way you want...No one can play any class exactly as they want. You can't shatter minions and phantasms won't remain indefinitely. Profs are built & balanced around certain mechanics — those that don't enjoy the synergies of those mechanics are essentially saying that they don't like the class (instead, they like a modified idea of the class, with different constraints).

I'm not against ANet making changes. I just don't think it's helpful to argue "buh buh my creativity is being hampered." If that was really true, then the chronotank would never have been invented: that's a role that wasn't originally intended but creative minds figured out how to make it work to the point that none of us can remember when chronos didn't commander aggro & boons (just skips and adds-control).

The AI for pets in this game has been a problem for some time, across many professions. Having half their power tied up into an unreliable mechanic did need a fix for folks who didn't want to deal with a spotty AI. The Legends in Revenant are not the same thing. In this case, the problem isn't with a bad mechanic or the bad application of a mechanic but in someone simply not wanting to play the profession mechanic but still play the profession. Or rather, it is too difficult to use the mechanic the way they want to use it. After all, it is 100% possible to camp a Legend and do fine if you know what you are doing. You just have to be willing to think further ahead, cut back on the use of some powers, be more strategic when using high Energy powers. The OP can 100% play as a single Legend. The only reason it would need a swap is because they run out of Energy and don't want to adjust, instead wanting the same benefits as those who embrace the mechanic.

Pets ..... noble idea .... not so noble application.

Archived