Radiance Runes... When can we get some real Aura Love

Radiance runes still seem like a huge waste when trying to build Aura share... All these other runes help so much more than a 6 set being 33% longer aura duration about +1 second to auras. What do you all think? At least before you would get some more benefits from applying Auras now they are worse than before imo.

Radiance:

Old:(1): +25 Vitality(2): When you receive an aura, you gain 5 seconds of swiftness. (Cooldown: 20s)(3): +50 Vitality(4): When you use a heal skill, you gain 4 seconds of light aura. (Cooldown: 20s)(5): +100 Vitality(6): The duration of auras you apply are increased by 33%.

New:(1): +25 Vitality(2): +5% Boon Duration(3): +50 Vitality(4): +10% Boon Duration(5): +100 Vitality(6): +10% boon duration; the duration of auras you apply are increased by 33%.

Anyone testing Superior runes of Forgeman yet?

(1): +25 Toughness(2): +10% Burning Duration(3): +50 Toughness(4): +20% Burning Duration(5): +100 Toughness(6): +20% burning duration; when struck below 75% health, gain fire shield for 4 seconds.

What does Dulfy meant by fire shield? Does it get applied everytime you get below 75% with no ICD?

@"Talonblaze.3175" said:The light aura was a nice extra boost heal, which was primarily why I picked it.

Can agree on that. If it would still cast the aura on heal, I'd use it.

Anet made a lot of 'aura' runes, but they're mostly unusable or undesirable for some reason or other.

Rune of the Air Swiftness duration isn't useful most of the time, making half the rune effects undesirable. The 30 sec cooldown even prevents it from triggering on every heal.Rune of the Fire Could be usable, if the fire aura proc activated during combat as well, AND if auras stacked in duration.Rune of the Forgeman Would be cool for condition builds, if it gave condition damage instead of toughness.Rune of the Earth Very cool rune thematically, the cooldown for the proc is a tad high. Rune is good for tanking, but there's no real use for tanks in the game.Rune of Radiance Until auras stack in duration, the extra aura duration just isn't worth it. If it procced an aura, it would be a good pick for Tempest. Or maybe if it gave healing power instead of vitality?Rune of Surging Really the only thing that doesn't work for the rune is the +20% vigor duration instead of +10% all boons duration. Would definitely consider it on tempest if it did the latter.

Comparing the 'aura' runes with the other, more generic runes that fill the same role, they just come up short. For example, Rune of the Fire could be used for an offensive support/dps build. However, where Rune of the Scholar gets strong dps buffs for the 2, 4 and 6 slot, Fire gets utility effects. The extra might gained is irrelevant thanks to druids and mesmers, the extra aura procs only at the very start of combat (making it useless in fractals and raids) and the burning duration would be rather weak for a power dps build (and the power would be useless for a condition dps build),. Even if you could somehow get 100% fire aura uptime (which you can't currently because auras do not stack in duration), the dps will still be much less than scholar.

The same goes for Radiance vs Rune of the Monk. It already gives up the extra healing power and the outgoing heals bonus, so it really needs that light aura proc on every heal (20 sec cooldown max) to even be considered as an alternative to Tempest healing builds. Instead, it gets vitality and additional duration when, again, auras overwrite any previous auras.

TL;DR The aura runes are very cool, but they're outclassed by the more generic runes. Also, the runes (and auras in general) would be a lot better if auras stacked in duration instead of overwriting any previous aura.

@"alchemist.6851" said:it’s 25% boon duration with lotsa HP ... i don’t see anything bad about thatIt's not bad per sé, it's just that many other runes with similar purposes have much stronger effects. If you need additional boon duration, chances are high you're playing some sort of support build. Those builds often get much more from healing power, making Rune of the Water a lot more useful. You could even argue that Rune of Leadership may give you the effective health (175 vitality vs 36 vitality/toughness&healing power, haven't done the math but I reckon it'll be close) while also increasing your damage a bit. And that's not even considering the bonus effect, which on Rune of the Radiance, is very niche.

Aura duration increase is something only a few builds (mainly Tempest) will be able to use to any effect. While Tempest can benefit from a bit more vitality, its not the most useful stat for either a dps or a support tempest. Even then, the additional duration is (ironically) wasted on any build that spams auras because auras do not stack in duration, so they're more likely to get overwritten. Most builds would simply benefit more from an all-purpose boon duration rune than one that functions with auras only.

If it still had the light aura on heal instead of the extra duration, I'd use it. But as it is now, Leadership or Water will simply be more effective.

@ThiBash.5634 said:

@"alchemist.6851" said:it’s 25% boon duration with lotsa HP ... i don’t see anything bad about thatIt's not bad per sé, it's just that many other runes with similar purposes have much stronger effects. If you need additional boon duration, chances are high you're playing some sort of support build. Those builds often get much more from healing power, making
a lot more useful. You could even argue that
may give you the effective health (175 vitality vs 36 vitality/toughness&healing power, haven't done the math but I reckon it'll be close) while also increasing your damage a bit. And that's not even considering the bonus effect, which on Rune of the Radiance, is very niche.

Aura duration increase is something only a few builds (mainly Tempest) will be able to use to any effect. While Tempest can benefit from a bit more vitality, its not the most useful stat for either a dps or a support tempest. Even then, the additional duration is (ironically) wasted on any build that spams auras because auras do not stack in duration, so they're more likely to get overwritten. Most builds would simply benefit more from an all-purpose boon duration rune than one that functions with auras only.

If it still had the light aura on heal instead of the extra duration, I'd use it. But as it is now, Leadership or Water will simply be more effective.

The amount of farming we need to do for leadership is not small, albeit very enjoyable taking down the dragon...

On the other hand if you’re not a healing build, Water runes may not be as good as Radiance... i find these alternatives to Leadership farming a good update

Not really on the topic of the post but I'll respond this guy here:

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:Anyone testing Superior runes of Forgeman yet?

(1): +25 Toughness(2): +10% Burning Duration(3): +50 Toughness(4): +20% Burning Duration(5): +100 Toughness(6): +20% burning duration; when struck below 75% health, gain fire shield for 4 seconds.

What does Dulfy meant by fire shield? Does it get applied everytime you get below 75% with no ICD?

Fire Shield is the name of the focus #4 elementalist skill that grant fire aura. Basically the rune will cast the skill when you are hit below 75%.The rune do have a 20s icd however.

@alchemist.6851 said:i find these alternatives to Leadership farming a good update

I suppose that's true. I mostly looked at the runes from a gameplay perspective. If you really needed an easy to acquire boon duration rune, water would fill that niche too. It's not like healing power would be totally useless on any build. The same cannot be said for the aura duration effect though: most builds don't get anything from it. If anything, the 'light aura on heal' would work in non-aura builds.

I am not too mad about this change for my auramancer raid healer build, that provides a bunch of boons (25 might, permanent fury + others) on top of auras. My build used to get a lot of boon duration from the old Sigil of Concentration, which procced on each attunement. Now that the sigil gives 23% less boon duration it is nice that these runes cover for that. I do miss getting a light aura on my heal skill though..

I miss frontline Auramancer in WvW. I use to play that all of the time and the OG Radiance runes were really nice for the light aura and group swiftness. Auras are a very cool mechanic that I hope Anet expands upon in the future. I would love if this rune 6 set changes from +33% to Boon duration now effects Aura times (Drop the cap) That way not all auras get a flat boost but this rune allows people to actually invest in an aura build.

Archived