Rune and Sigil Changes - 13 November 2018 [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

"A majority of runes and sigils are also changing to create greater variety and versatility and to promote more active gameplay."

Anet employee 1: lets change every 60% to 100% and all 10% damage to x-species to 7%to x-species + 3% overall and just call it a dayAnet employee 2: sold, lets make tyria great againwhat a joke

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting something at all times instead of only for meeting certain conditions is pretty good. Most of them only see use in dungeons anyway, but the 3% boost is too low to use it anywhere else. The changes never intended to make everything equal though, just a little bit of love for the 5 people that use them.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Lolivia.3219" said:"A majority of runes and sigils are also changing to create greater variety and versatility and to promote more active gameplay."

Anet employee 1: lets change every 60% to 100% and all 10% damage to x-species to 7%to x-species + 3% overall and just call it a dayAnet employee 2: sold, lets make tyria great againwhat a joke

So, you don't like the changes. I get that, and you're entitled to your opinion. But "what a joke" and a snarky pretend conversation don't really make for meaningful feedback. Don't like it? Explain why. Have a better idea? let's hear it.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Lolivia.3219" said:"A majority of runes and sigils are also changing to create greater variety and versatility and to promote more active gameplay."

So, you don't like the changes. I get that, and you're entitled to your opinion. But "what a joke" and a snarky pretend conversation don't really make for meaningful feedback. Don't like it? Explain why. Have a better idea? let's hear it.

Since I can't post on a release notes thread (obviously), can I say thanks for the "before" and "after" release notes on the runes and sigils. This is soooo useful (esp as I forgot to note down my equipped ones earlier!)

I'm surprised the buff per charges sigils were kept though. Thought they'd be the first to get axed being as they are pretty anti-gw2 in the way they work

18k and 19k vault from stealth, target hanging over your head unremovable, huge hits from death's judgement with little to no counterplay. Boosting sigils proc just makes the skills even more overpowered. Need a rework of multipliers given the mess wvw is, but that might involve too much work.

As for the new stealth traps and marked, we'll see them used for a couple weeks then they will go back in the box of 'little to never used tricks in wvw'.

The huge overhaul to rune sets will take some getting used to and until it settles down I have no strong opinion either way as to whether overall good change. certainly spiced things up a bit.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Randulf.7614 said:

Since I can't post on a release notes thread (obviously), can I say thanks for the "before" and "after" release notes on the runes and sigils. This is soooo useful (esp as I forgot to note down my equipped ones earlier!)

Thanks for the positive feedback. To be honest, the notes were a bit of a trial this time, because formatting tables is not at all easy. However, I think they came out right, and as a player I really appreciate that "that was then, this is now" presentation, too. Credit to @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 and the Systems Team for offering that level of detail!

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Thanks for the positive feedback. To be honest, the notes were a bit of a trial this time, because formatting tables is not at all easy. However, I think they came out right, and as a player I really appreciate that "that was then, this is now" presentation, too. Credit to @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 and the Systems Team for offering that level of detail!

The extra work is def appreciated and immensely helpful on a change of this scale!

I don't like it cause it barely changes anything, how do those changes give more variety, when infact all the sigils are updated with the same general boost. "change 60% to 100%" sure, thats a huge buff in some cases, how does it give more active gameplay though? more like, 'just auto-attack cause it will always procc anyways.Then on the other side of the spectrum, we have sigil of concentration, that change actually made pretty sure, as a chrono, you cant have as much partial dps gear anymore, you're only good for boons now.
everyone knows chrono isnt the easiest class, and the concentration sigil was a nice extra step, like, if you're still practicing chrono, just go full commanders/minstril to get used to it, once you get the hang of that, you add the weaponswapping and also dps next to that.now its really the exact opposite of "variety" and instead of active gameplay, just stand about and spread boons, no worry about squeezing as much into the 7 second time window, its all good, doesnt matter.
I really dont understand why it would've seemed a good idea to take the enjoyment of that away from chrono's. I really don't, so please do explain the reasoning behind that, and not something like : it seemed mandatory on high-end... yeah..thats why the sigil itself was high-end..

@Victory.2879 said:18k and 19k vault from stealth, target hanging over your head unremovable, huge hits from death's judgement with little to no counterplay. Boosting sigils proc just makes the skills even more overpowered. Need a rework of multipliers given the mess wvw is, but that might involve too much work.

As for the new stealth traps and marked, we'll see them used for a couple weeks then they will go back in the box of 'little to never used tricks in wvw'.

The huge overhaul to rune sets will take some getting used to and until it settles down I have no strong opinion either way as to whether overall good change. certainly spiced things up a bit.

Why are you bringing this up? No damage was increased.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Much appreciated! Was very easy to read through the changes, so ty!

And ty systems team! GJ!

@Lolivia.3219 said:I really dont understand why it would've seemed a good idea to take the enjoyment of that away from chrono's. I really don't, so please do explain the reasoning behind that, and not something like : it seemed mandatory on high-end... yeah..thats why the sigil itself was high-end..

I'd be interested in seeing which chrono's enjoy this change and which don't.

@"Lolivia.3219" said:I don't like it cause it barely changes anything, how do those changes give more variety, when infact all the sigils are updated with the same general boost. "change 60% to 100%" sure, thats a huge buff in some cases, how does it give more active gameplay though? more like, 'just auto-attack cause it will always procc anyways.Then on the other side of the spectrum, we have sigil of concentration, that change actually made pretty sure, as a chrono, you cant have as much partial dps gear anymore, you're only good for boons now.

everyone knows chrono isnt the easiest class, and the concentration sigil was a nice extra step, like, if you're still practicing chrono, just go full commanders/minstril to get used to it, once you get the hang of that, you add the weaponswapping and also dps next to that.now its really the exact opposite of "variety" and instead of active gameplay, just stand about and spread boons, no worry about squeezing as much into the 7 second time window, its all good, doesnt matter.

I really dont understand why it would've seemed a good idea to take the enjoyment of that away from chrono's. I really don't, so please do explain the reasoning behind that, and not something like : it seemed mandatory on high-end... yeah..thats why the sigil itself was high-end..

You DO understand that sigils are supposed to represent minor enhancements right? 33% boon duration from a minor boost is overkill IMO.

So let's recap:

Most stuff is more of the same, but less garbage and might actually offer options. You won't have to use this one set and only that, now there are more sets that offer very similar benefits. I like that.

I like the 30%/60% on hit/crit runes being changed to 100% (by the way they use 100% instead of simply "on crit" so that they can later easily fine tune numbers if they wanted to instead of having to rewrite that part).

I was positively surprised when I saw more 10% health increases. That stuff is always fun. Nerfs to %boon duration. Maybe we're just too used to it and have gotten really entitled, but does everything really need a 100% perfect up time? Probably not. It's a nerf, but it's not like that will make the game unplayable at all.

Rune sets of Baelfire and Balthazar giving 50% burn duration flat.. this could be fun to play with. Especially that conversion on Baelfire for 7% of your power to expertise.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm glad I bought almost all runes available some time ago :)

I was a bit disappointed about losing my Superior Sigil of Demon Summoning :< My necromancer used a variety of skills to have a very large amount of minions, combined with Runes of the lich, "Rise!" and core necromancer Bone Minion and Life Steal minion, with Lich Form, I could play a very special kind of necromancer that specialized in having a huge horde of monsters, with Fleshreaver as a peak power spike (it also helped that Fleshreaver fit a Necromancer).

In a way, I Really appreciate the Torment duration for my renegade, but I feel like my necromancer lost a Bit of Identity :<

@"Lolivia.3219" said:I don't like it cause it barely changes anything, how do those changes give more variety, when infact all the sigils are updated with the same general boost. "change 60% to 100%" sure, thats a huge buff in some cases, how does it give more active gameplay though? more like, 'just auto-attack cause it will always procc anyways.Then on the other side of the spectrum, we have sigil of concentration, that change actually made pretty sure, as a chrono, you cant have as much partial dps gear anymore, you're only good for boons now.

i can give u a good reason.

$$$$$$$$$

Every balance change means a buff or nerf of a build.

Every buff or nerf means u have to build up an entire new charcter with an entire new equipment.

For veteran players like me it is not a broken leg.

For new players it means, u have to spent Gold.

For the employee it means their is a possibility for gold exchange for rl money to gain the gold to use it up on the new needed equipment.

This is a hidden treatmeal we face now for some time.

I have mixed feelings. While the new rune structure looks much cleaner it seems also a lot more boring, as most runes have only one active effect now.Not to mention that many changes here are a big downgrade when it comes to this. A +10 % health is nothing compared to what is lost on many runes. Not to mention an active effect would have been much more interesting than a flat health increase, which will probably have zero influence on actual combat.But as mentioned the before after patch note made working through it quite easy, thanks for that.Last I like the new effect of permanent companion on the runes, seems like fun.

@Deaths.9165 said:

i can give u a good reason.

$$$$$$$$$

Every balance change means a buff or nerf of a build.

Every buff or nerf means u have to build up an entire new charcter with an entire new equipment.

For veteran players like me it is not a broken leg.

For new players it means, u have to spent Gold.

For the employee it means their is a possibility for gold exchange for rl money to gain the gold to use it up on the new needed equipment.

This is a hidden treatmeal we face now for some time.

Yes, having to spend 50 gold to restat your entire set really is the biggest and newest ploy to get you to bust out your credit card. Glad people like you have figured it out and educate the unwashed masses

I dislike a lot of the changes. Most of the changes feel like remove conditional then add stat or Change to 100%

Flame Leigon, Fire and Baelfire runes are now very very similar. With the only difference being the 6th bonus with Flame Legion coming out on top due to +7% to burning foes.Not enough classes has reliable access to fire aura to make it useful and I can't even remember what the other one was.They also changed Altuism's on heal affects and I really want to know why. It allowed classes like FB, Rene, Scrapper, Ele real nice and easy access to Might + Fury for raid encounters (as Druid's have constant fury on pet). The closest we get now is a Rune that gives it as you enter combat, but that's a single application. The only classes out of those three can give constant fury is FB through its Elite Shout (I might be wrong) and Ele if it traits the Fury on aura.

A lot of the runes interesting (if useless) effects have just been gutted and given stats. Vamprism was really cool with all its life leech is now just a stat stick with a heal when you get too low. Where is the "Vampire" in "Vamprisim" if there is no actual stealing life? I assume that the name was based off the "Vampire" game mods in older shooters like Unreal tournament and Halo.

Infiltration is another one that I feel like has been changed to simplify for almost no reason. Change all the +% damage to just straight power, so now its a Pwr/Prec rune with vigor on stealth (I don't know why?) and 10% over 14% which now comes into direct confrontation with Eagle but the difference is that Eagle has Prec/Ferocity except gives more stats and doesn't give vigor on health. They are practically the same rune. Granted they didn't have big differences before but I don't see how "promoting diversity" = "making everything really simple"

There no other way then to say everything just got dumbed down. Anything that was interesting and different or followed a theme just got replaced for stats. I was excited to see that runes were being changed but I didn't think it would be like this. You change all these runes and I really wonder for what reason.

Patch notes : "Salvage Kits: The chance to extract a rune or sigil from equipment is now a chance to salvage the upgrades directly into their crafting materials. This does not affect Black Lion Salvage Kits, which will continue to always extract upgrades intact."

PSA : use of Black Lion Salvage Kits on exotic runes and sigils don't give you all the materials !Example, i use 5 of them -> no charms and no symbols, just some lucent motes :(

Archived