Profession Suggestion

Cinca.4759

Hello.I am looking for a class that is mainly for PVE. The character will mostly be running world bosses and domain of istan. So yeah its basically for tagging mobs. I have always played classes that have decent to high dps and massive aoes. I also want the class to be decently fun to play. If possible it has to be a range character because i already have melee charcter. I have been looking into threads that touch this question of mine, and I see alot of people saying necro but its lacks dps according to what i read. The other ones were thief and engineer. I'd rather not play engineer because it just doesnt fit my play style. So yeah thats basically what i am looking for in my next class. Is there such thing in gw2? Lol.Thank you.

If you're running world bosses and Istan and "basically tagging mobs", then you're doing group content and a lack of dps is not the defining factor, surely? You're looking for something with lots of aoe, and you'll get that in droves if you run scourge with a staff. You'll get the staff marks and the scourge shades. Lots of aoe and, in my experience, sufficient dps. Keep a dagger to swap to for filling up on the LF.

Should had made it clear thats my bad. It doesnt have to be a crazy dps as long as it has enough that will kill mobs in time before the timer tuns out. In a nutshell range > lots of aoes > decent dps.Sorry what is droves and LF? I am fairly new to the game so i dont know. Please be gentle loolThanks for replying btw ;)

@"Cinca.4759" said:Should had made it clear thats my bad. It doesnt have to be a crazy dps as long as it has enough that will kill mobs in time before the timer tuns out. In a nutshell range > lots of aoes > decent dps.Sorry what is droves and LF? I am fairly new to the game so i dont know. Please be gentle loolThanks for replying btw ;)

What timer? Group events are either an aggregate DPS race, or an aggregate tag fest. And even in spite of that, most Especs are so front loaded on damage, and everyone running Damage meta builds, that there is only a few places where encountering low damage is even a concern.

The issue I'm seeing here is that you're trying to equate "fun" and "optimal" as interchangeable concepts, and then go on to say Engineer is not fun without explaining why you feel that. Holosmith in Half-Tank build is about as optimal as you can get in Istan, just between its ability to bypass mechanics, self-sustain like crazy, and very accessible AOE and Hard CCs. You opt for Weaver Glass cannon, since its nothing but AOEs. Scourge or Reaper for its non-stop offensive cadence. Even Warrior is a solid option... despite most trying to write it off as trash.

The better way to go about it is either forcing yourself to learn an optimal build (since that seems to be your bigger focus). Or learn what the classes/especs are good at, and adapt the ones you like to farming. Because frankly if you want mass tagging AND 1v1 Champ fighting, Holo is the single best option.... and you don't want that.

@"Cinca.4759" said:Should had made it clear thats my bad. It doesnt have to be a crazy dps as long as it has enough that will kill mobs in time before the timer tuns out. In a nutshell range > lots of aoes > decent dps.Sorry what is droves and LF? I am fairly new to the game so i dont know. Please be gentle loolThanks for replying btw ;)

Droves = "lots and lots"LF = lifeforce; for the necro shroud mechanic...sort of their second healthbar

I like Firebrand Guardian. Lots of AOE fire damage, especially running Viper armor and the updated Flame Legion runes. Staff for 1200 range, but mediocre DPS, as is most max-range weapons. Scepter is also available for 900 range, better DPS than staff. Running mixed stat armor, like Marshal, allows one to easily tag events just by providing AOE support.

Atm i am leaning towards scourge. So what do you guys think? Do you guys have a build guide for it and how does one really build this profession?

UPDATE: i heard they nerfed scourge, what took the damage? WVW, Pve or Pvp? My second option is ranger druid. Should i just focus on druid instead of scourge?

scourge took a stupid nerf to might generation and condition cleanse so no big deal for your needs..

good ranged aoe classes are:staff ele (but it lacks sustain..)scourge (just not the best single target dps but good self sustain)

if u wanna go aoe-melee oriented with a ranged option:dragonhunter (good sustain, aoe and single target dps when in melee range)holosmith (even better than dh if alone bc its not dependent on quickness support, but u said u dont want engi..)

@DEATHsCLAW.1978 said:scourge took a stupid nerf to might generation and condition cleanse so no big deal for your needs..

good ranged aoe classes are:staff ele (but it lacks sustain..)scourge (just not the best single target dps but good self sustain)

if u wanna go aoe-melee oriented with a ranged option:dragonhunter (good sustain, aoe and single target dps when in melee range)holosmith (even better than dh if alone bc its not dependent on quickness support, but u said u dont want engi..)

What are your thoughts about druids? Do you think it fits my critiria? This char will mostly be for group content and maybe solo bandit/champions.

@Cinca.4759 said:

@DEATHsCLAW.1978 said:scourge took a stupid nerf to might generation and condition cleanse so no big deal for your needs..

What are your thoughts about druids? Do you think it fits my critiria? This char will mostly be for group content and maybe solo bandit/champions.

druid is not known for high aoe damage.. in pve its used as support while in pvp and wvw its a good duel spec

but as you dont want to play support im pve druid brings nothing u want

@DEATHsCLAW.1978 said:

druid is not known for high aoe damage.. in pve its used as support while in pvp and wvw its a good duel spec

but as you dont want to play support im pve druid brings nothing u want

Scourge it is then. Could you link me a build please.

I just started playing Scourge, really love to use it to farm in Istan because you just don't die, tag tons of mobs and deal decent damages to get the loots!. My only complaint is that you can't kill all the minions because they tend to aggro other mobs and then i need to walk to the other bosses instead of using the mount! Overall, it's really fun! :D

Archived