why nerf a class thats been weak at everything since it was created?

sanctum.5437

@Harvey.7820 said:Can never go a single patch without Necro players crying. I swear it's been 6 years of this. Only time I have seen Necro players content was at the beginning of PoF when Scourge was completely brokenly overpowered. They didnt make a peep then...

Necro has been meta in WvW and PVP for the majority of those game modes existences. They havent been breakneck meta in PVE, sure, but they are perfectly viable in every way and Ive never seen a good necro get kicked from T4 fractals. I dont raid so I dont know about that end of PVE, but in PVP and WvW they are meta, have been meta, and will continue to be meta regardless of how much you try to cry or decieve lesser knowledgable players on the forums.

In zergs and with a pocket healer sure, but try going in solo and you'll drop instantly to de, mirage, sb and holo roamers with out even hitting them

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@Harvey.7820 said:Can never go a single patch without Necro players crying. I swear it's been 6 years of this. Only time I have seen Necro players content was at the beginning of PoF when Scourge was completely brokenly overpowered. They didnt make a peep then...

Necro has been meta in WvW and PVP for the majority of those game modes existences. They havent been breakneck meta in PVE, sure, but they are perfectly viable in every way and Ive never seen a good necro get kicked from T4 fractals. I dont raid so I dont know about that end of PVE, but in PVP and WvW they are meta, have been meta, and will continue to be meta regardless of how much you try to cry or decieve lesser knowledgable players on the forums.

In zergs and with a pocket healer sure, but try going in solo and you'll drop instantly to de, mirage, sb and holo roamers with out even hitting them

Are you implying that for Necro to be balanced they should be able to go into a WvW zerg and wreak havoc without any supports while solo? Can any class solo zergs?

While the change to Abrasive Grit is disappointing because it didn't appear to be a problem UNTIL the interaction with the Rune, there is no logical reason anyone should associate this with a need to buff Necro, especially Scourge. Scourge is the LEAST buff-needy of the necro family of specs. Time to give the collective heads a shake here. Not everything is a soap box for a buff though I heartily agree that they targetted the symptom, not the disease in this case.

It could also be a coincidence this change was brought in with the Rune patch, though I'm sure it will never be disclosed if the change is related to it. The backlash would be ridiculous. At best, I suspect it's a bandaid fix that will be reconsidered within the typical amount of time (months) ... at worst, it stays as is with little or no explanation.

@Harvey.7820 said:

Are you implying that for Necro to be balanced they should be able to go into a WvW zerg and wreak havoc without any supports while solo? Can any class solo zergs?

I'm implying that necro shouln't be pigeon held into needing a support or 50 to be viable in pvp and wvw. As for soloing zergs, pin sniping commanders effectively shuts down most zergs.

@Obtena.7952 said:While the change to Abrasive Grit is disappointing because it didn't appear to be a problem UNTIL the interaction with the Rune, there is no logical reason anyone should associate this with a need to buff Necro, especially Scourge. Scourge is the LEAST buff-needy of the necro family of specs. Time to give the collective heads a shake here. Not everything is a soap box for a buff though I heartily agree that they targetted the symptom, not the disease in this case.

It could also be a coincidence this change was brought in with the Rune patch, though I'm sure it will never be disclosed if the change is related to it. The backlash would be ridiculous. At best, I suspect it's a bandaid fix that will be reconsidered within the typical amount of time (months) ... at worst, it stays as is with little or no explanation.

There's no question this was a bandaid fix, but I give it 97% odds that it will never be replaced with a better solution or even have an appropriate buff to Scourge's support capabilities. In fact, I'm sure ANet will quickly forget the reason they gave it an ICD at all and just think it always had one.

@Harvey.7820 said:

He clearly said "roaming" i.e not zerging.

Necro is a class that is very effective with extremely specific comps in extremely specific types of fights, outside of those very specific situations necro is crap which is why necros are perpetually unhappy.

why nerf a class thats been weak at everything since it was created?

"Weak at everything"

What

Scourge is currently the strongest support class in the game. It can singlehandedly carry pugs through hard encounters. It is utterly and hilariously overpowered.

Scourge is also meta in WvW for zergs. Necro has always been part of the GWEN meta. Extremely survivable, UNBLOCKABLE aoes, boon strips/corrupts, etc...

Scourge is one of THE best specs for open world farming/tagging due to its ability to easily strike 10 targets with its aoes, as well as marks, and even epi in some situations.

Not long ago Scourge was so overpowered in PvP that there were cries to nerf it. I remember a time when Spellbreaker was the only popular counter.

But whatever. If you want to hyperbolize and claim Necro has always been weak at everything, I guess I'll hyperbolize too: "MY CLASS IS BAD BECAUSE I DON KNOW HOW TO USE IT WAAH WAAAH"

@"Kain Francois.4328" said:

Scourge is currently the strongest support class in the game. It can singlehandedly carry pugs through hard encounters. It is utterly and hilariously overpowered.

Yet is completely unused in by good groups in raid content (outside of 1/2 bosses because epidemic).

Scourge is also meta in WvW for zergs. Necro has always been part of the GWEN meta. Extremely survivable, UNLOCKABLE aoes, boon strips/corrupts, etc...

Scourge in a zerg cause you have a million firebrands around you making you survivable. 10 Target Cap and every skill being offensive+defensive is just awful design tho, hence why they are meta in zergs. Outside of zergs scourge is just a pathetic joke however.

Scourge is one of THE best specs for open world farming/tagging due to its ability to easily strike 10 targets with its aoes, as well as marks, and even epi in some situations.

By this logic flamethrower engi is good... Open world balance does not matter in the slightest.

Not long ago Scourge was so overpowered in PvP that there were cries to nerf it. I remember a time when Spellbreaker was the only popular counter.

The only reason that scourge was too strong in sPvP is that the spec centered around zone control turns out to be good at a gamemode centered around standing on points...

But whatever. If you want to hyperbolize and claim Necro has always been weak at everything, I guess I'll hyperbolize too: "MY CLASS IS BAD BECAUSE I DON KNOW HOW TO USE IT WAAH WAAAH"

Necros haven't always been weak, but they do inevitably get smacked down to a weak state fairly quickly as soon as they're more or less in line with other builds while you can see other specs remain at roughly the same (very high) power level for years.

@sanctum.5437 said:

@zombyturtle.5980 said:I agree this nerf is targeted at the wrong thing, they should have nerfed the rune, but cmon. No need to hyperbole scourges state. It just totally devalue your argument.

I agree its not wanted in fracs. Reaper needs a slight buff to its burst to be on par with guard/ele combo. I also agree it was unwanted in most endgame content for a long time but that doesnt mean it should be OP now. As long as its viable and wanted in content, which it currently is for 90% of the game, then its balance is in the right direction.

I disagree with many of your statements and I feel exactly what I said, but id mostly like to point out that I didnt say they should be OP - I said BALANCED so that they are wanted/used on par with all the other classes. I am so tired of being that last kid called, if at all, for anything.

The fact that they put out a broken af item and then felt that it was ok to nerf scourge instead of fixing a line of code on the item just totally shows how they feel about us in general - I have no idea why this is the case, nor can I even begin to reason why a development team would treat a class this way at all, but its still a blatant slap in the face to anyone who cares about their own scourge character, and that includes me.

You can disagree with me all you want, doesnt change reality. Necro is meta in 3 parts of the game, and viable in all others, with the exception of speedrun comps for endgame pve.

@Crinn.7864 said:

Necro is a class that is very effective with extremely specific comps in extremely specific types of fights, outside of those very specific situations necro is kitten which is why necros are perpetually unhappy.

'extremely specific types of fights' . Please. Zerging is 90% of the gameplay in wvw.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:

Necro is a class that is very effective with extremely specific comps in extremely specific types of fights, outside of those very specific situations necro is kitten which is why necros are perpetually unhappy.

'extremely specific types of fights' . Please. Zerging is 90% of the gameplay in wvw.

Err.... No?Right now I enjoy zerging as well, because I have a guild to play with even in big public zergs.But when I didn't have a group, I was only solo roaming.And there are actually quite a lot roamers these days, because there are a lot of very good classes to do so:Rev,warrior,guard,mesmer,ranger,thief,engi even good eles.The only class that is really bad at roaming is necro.

And don't tell me: but it's overused in zergs.

So is firebrand and rev. Also guard and rev have better pve builds than necro has.

@Nimon.7840 said:

Err.... No?Right now I enjoy zerging as well, because I have a guild to play with even in big public zergs.But when I didn't have a group, I was only solo roaming.And there are actually quite a lot roamers these days, because there are a lot of very good classes to do so:Rev,warrior,guard,mesmer,ranger,thief,engi even good eles.The only class that is really bad at roaming is necro.

So is firebrand and rev. Also guard and rev have better pve builds than necro has.

'only class that is really bad at roaming is necro'. This is ridiculous. I am so done with these necro players outright lying so they can pretend their class is crap. This was pointless from the start.

@"Harvey.7820" said:Can never go a single patch without Necro players crying. I swear it's been 6 years of this. Only time I have seen Necro players content was at the beginning of PoF when Scourge was completely brokenly overpowered. They didnt make a peep then...

Necro has been meta in WvW and PVP for the majority of those game modes existences. They havent been breakneck meta in PVE, sure, but they are perfectly viable in every way and Ive never seen a good necro get kicked from T4 fractals. I dont raid so I dont know about that end of PVE, but I do recall scourges being meta condiDPS.

As for PVP and WvW, Necros are meta, have been meta, and will continue to be meta regardless of how much you try to cry or decieve lesser knowledgable players on the forums.

Well... you probably have a terrible memory.

First off, there were quite a lot of necromancer players complaining about scourge at the beginning of PoF and even before they launched PoF. Second, necromancers became meta in PvP since HoT due to their niche: boon corruption. They've always been meta in WvW zerg due to their niche: boon corruption. In PvE, necromancers were just kicked out of any group content for most of the vanilla game, they had the dev give them an almost tailored fractal instability after HoT to justify their existence in PvE and finally ended up with the recent balance change that barelly allow them to have a potential which just a tiny bit worse than other profession putting them into what other profession would consider as a barely viable state for PvE. Sure, since HoT there were clever use of necromancer's skills that gave them spurt of "viability" but these were soon labelled as exploit and nerfed to the ground.

That said, I agree with you, the necromancer is meta in PvP and WvW, and it will stay meta despite the nerf. However, being meta doesn't necessarily mean that the profession is stronger than other professions. It just mean that the profession fill an important enough role to be labelled as necessary in these gamemodes. Just like the mesmer used to be meta in PvE (HoT) while being seriously underpowered in regard of damages. Or just like tempest was meta as a boon bot in PvP.

@Dadnir.5038

Thank you. I agree. I do believe it is okay for some classes to require a support in PVP or WVW game modes since together with that said support class, they are meta as they are stronger than an equal numbered pairing from other class varieties.

My main issue is not with Necro class as i love to play reaper and have dont map compleyuin with my own reaper, but with specific players of the necro class that make gross generalizing statements such as the OP claiming necro has never been meta in anything. Claiming necro is the weakest class in every game mode is absurd.

At the end of the day, lying so brazingly only hurts other necro players with legitimate arguements and discussion points. All necro players look bad when the vocal minority are people who are only satisfied when they are overpowered.

@Harvey.7820 said:@"Dadnir.5038"

Thank you. I agree. I do believe it is okay for some classes to require a support in PVP or WVW game modes since together with that said support class, they are meta as they are stronger than an equal numbered pairing from other class varieties.

My main issue is not with Necro class as i love to play reaper and have dont map compleyuin with my own reaper, but with specific players of the necro class that make gross generalizing statements such as the OP claiming necro has never been meta in anything. Claiming necro is the weakest class in every game mode is absurd.

At the end of the day, lying so brazingly only hurts other necro players with legitimate arguements and discussion points. All necro players look bad when the vocal minority are people who are only satisfied when they are overpowered.

Ah well those kind of players can be found in all professions and for their defense it's often difficult to have a true broad view of the game. For someone that only play PvE and have been kicked repeatedly from group because the necromancer was neither meta nor competitive, it's easy to rant about the necromancer being UP. For someone playing exclusively PvP it's also easy to complain about the necromancer feeling "weak" because they tend to be focused ASAP. As for someone who want to roam in WvW as a necromancer it can also be difficult to fathom why people say that the necromancer is meta in this gamemode when they are easily dispatched by professions that are "stronger" in this role.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:

'only class that is really bad at roaming is necro'. This is ridiculous. I am so done with these necro players outright lying so they can pretend their class is kitten. This was pointless from the start.

Lul. 2 weeks ago, someone told me, that necro was the best 1v1 class right now.I told him: nope. Let's make a challenge. You pick me a class, and I fight on it again at your necro.There is to say, that outside of healing druid in raids, I almost exclusively play necromancer.

So he picked me a warrior. I have 2 lvl 80 warriors, but together on both 3hours playtime.

So I had no clue what I was doing and still destroyed him.

If you really think that necro is good at roaming, you have no clue about the game. I feel sorry for you

@Harvey.7820 said:@Dadnir.5038

no ones lying about a damn thing. If it weren't for the fact that the whole damn game centers on wvw and that theres exactly ONE THING that necros do just in side of a damn bouncy group of 50 freaking players, they wouldnt be used at all in any group anywhere - i cant even get a pub fractal to keep from booting me as is.

I dont think its too much to ask these devs to balance the damn class so that I dont have to play scourge, or so that I can actualy get into a raid.

The fact that they seem to jump ontop of us with a nerf bat as soon as people start to cry foul from them doing well in wvw when they blatantly disregard other classes being damn near OP across the board for years is just absurd.

They can keep shitting on us just to make the majority of whiny ass wvw smile in pvp - its so damn bad that here we have a totally, completely broken crap item in the game that could easily be fixed but they think its OK to just go and screw us harder than before on one of our few good abilities.

Proof right there beyond anything else that could possibly be said to try to cover it up. Necros means less then a single friggin item to them.

I also find it vastly disgusting that they spend so much time moving threads to cover this shitpile up - theres other places to voice how badly they treat players and I will be sure to use them from this point on.

@Nimon.7840 said:

'only class that is really bad at roaming is necro'. This is ridiculous. I am so done with these necro players outright lying so they can pretend their class is kitten. This was pointless from the start.

Lul. 2 weeks ago, someone told me, that necro was the best 1v1 class right now.I told him: nope. Let's make a challenge. You pick me a class, and I fight on it again at your necro.There is to say, that outside of healing druid in raids, I almost exclusively play necromancer.

So he picked me a warrior. I have 2 lvl 80 warriors, but together on both 3hours playtime.

So I had no clue what I was doing and still destroyed him.

If you really think that necro is good at roaming, you have no clue about the game. I feel sorry for you

what an ignorant epeen inflating ball of shit.

@"Xxnecroxx.4039" said:I have literally stopped playing GW2 all together till condi necro is at least viable again in T4 100 challenge, Raids, etc until then im not playing or spending any money on GW2

Yea I regret that money spend on necro kinda too. Reroled class And im happy. I can play what i want And can be useful And good. Only thing what Is keeping PvE necro alive Is that people like the theme.

I agree for wvw Its pretty strong. Disagree with PVP strong(you need another player to heal your ass all thé time)

But right know all classes Are kinda balanced in PvE. IT was much worst, So happy about it.

Right know ele have pretty Broken build thanks to new rune. And I asure you if devs Are going to fix IT. They fix rune. You dont nerf class you play you know?

I get AG isnt that huge thing but Its about princip. Thats why Are "necros" pissed off.

@Catchyfx.5768 said:

@"Xxnecroxx.4039" said:I have literally stopped playing GW2 all together till condi necro is at least viable again in T4 100 challenge, Raids, etc until then im not playing or spending any money on GW2

Yea I regret that money spend on necro kinda too. Reroled class And im happy. I can play what i want And can be useful And good. Only thing what Is keeping PvE necro alive Is that people like the theme.

I agree for wvw Its pretty strong. Disagree with PVP strong(you need another player to heal your kitten all thé time)

But right know all classes Are kinda balanced in PvE. IT was much worst, So happy about it.

Right know ele have pretty Broken build thanks to new rune. And I asure you if devs Are going to fix IT. They fix rune. You dont nerf class you play you know?

I get AG isnt that huge thing but Its about princip. Thats why Are "necros" pissed off.

the problem is that it seems that Anet wants to make necro a boon corrupt bot and NOTHING ELSE, and that became clear when they changed scepter main hand 3's dmg to basically only be good for corrupting boons, no PVE adds have enough boons for necros to get any decent dmg off from condis and even if they do after the burst from corrupting all the boons your dmg will become crap because the boons will more then likely never be re-applied to that level if at all

@sanctum.5437 said:

no ones lying about a kitten thing. If it weren't for the fact that the whole kitten game centers on wvw and that theres exactly ONE THING that necros do just in side of a kitten bouncy group of 50 freaking players, they wouldnt be used at all in any group anywhere - i cant even get a pub fractal to keep from booting me as is.

I dont think its too much to ask these devs to balance the kitten class so that I dont have to play scourge, or so that I can actualy get into a raid.

The fact that they seem to jump ontop of us with a nerf bat as soon as people start to cry foul from them doing well in wvw when they blatantly disregard other classes being kitten near OP across the board for years is just absurd.

They can keep kitten on us just to make the majority of whiny kitten wvw smile in pvp - its so kitten bad that here we have a totally, completely broken kitten item in the game that could easily be fixed but they think its OK to just go and screw us harder than before on one of our few good abilities.

Proof right there beyond anything else that could possibly be said to try to cover it up. Necros means less then a single friggin item to them.

I also find it vastly disgusting that they spend so much time moving threads to cover this shitpile up - theres other places to voice how badly they treat players and I will be sure to use them from this point on.

As someone who's modded a forum for a gaming company, what looks like a thread being moved to cover something up is merely keeping threads where they belong, as per the dictates of the company running the forum. While you may feel a thread in PvP or WvW may be on topic it may not be if all you're really doing is discussing one specific thing, such as the performance of Necromancer. Thread movements really aren't proof of anything and all things considered you can't cover anything up simply by moving a thread. I'm not sure where this thread originally may have been but this is clearly a Necromancer discussion thread and does belong in the Necromancer subforum.

As for Raid balance, I think the inherent problem is that it is likely the case that ANet and the community don't agree on what constitutes good Raid balance. All things considered, Necromancer is capable of Raiding. It's not so much unbalanced as it doesn't perform at a level that other people want it to. Since Necromancer can actually perform in a raid they likely do not see it as not being unbalanced. The community, on the other hand, pushes for a level of optimization that actually excludes a lot of Elites and builds, not because they are underpowered but because they are not the best of the best of the best. There is a wide range of viable raiding builds than the PUG community chooses to accept. Balancing for an artificially created level of efficiency is not always in the best interest of a game.

I get the frustration about Necro for sure, but Abrasive Grit is really the last thing that Scourges/Necros should be worried about. the condi cleanse was definitely decreased, but keep in mind it is an adept trait. A 5 second ICD on that much might and a condi cleanse is reasonable for an adept trait, especially if you look at adept traits in other specializations whether it be on Necro or on another class.

Again I get the frustration (necro has been one of my two mains since launch) but Abrasive Grit is incredibly strong for an adept trait, even after the ICD was added.

Archived