playing revenant is borderline exploiting

incisorr.9502

@JayAction.9056 said:

@"rowdy.5107" said:rev is just a poor mans thief in my opinion. fun class to play. but thieves and mesmers do everything a rev can do, but so much better.

Funny, the thieves say that Rev is a rich mans Thief.Tell me, what exactly is that
"everything"
which thieves can do better?

Thief has;

Way higher damage than rev, it’s no competition. Even in a PVE environment it’s not even close. Power vs Power

High mobility than rev/sustain (once again no competition). Thief can cross entire DBL in like a minute.

People keep complying on rev because they lose to Revs that are nowhere near their own skill level. Rev has the LOWEST power damage by about 20-30% and LOWEST burst but people died to Rev hardest hitting attack and just can’t take it mentally.

I don't honestly know if you play PvP, Revs have one of the best burst in the game right now an i don't know how you can't notice it, maybe you don't see a lot of decent revenants but still. Claming that they have the lowest power damage ? kitten

You don’t know if I play PVP? You must be low ranked

you did about 20% less damage than your claimed scenario with 13 might and 8 vuln on a thief with none of the possible damage reductions. I assumed best case scenario in hopes your claim could magically happen.

Thief can burst much higher than that

Everything I said still stands.

I don’t take screens of daily occurrences. Though Im not near my computer to post screens atm.

So basically, you have 0 evidence and are making baseless claims. Got it.

Do you ever look at the leaderboard? I’ve been trashing people since the game has been out consistently. I don’t take screens of daily occurrences dude. I’ve been ranked 50+ plenty. You have to beat near everyone for that...

This is as irrelevant as it gets in assessing rev performance. Power herald is meta, nothing else is even useable. Why does this thread has too many pointless posts?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@everyman.4375 said:

@"rowdy.5107" said:rev is just a poor mans thief in my opinion. fun class to play. but thieves and mesmers do everything a rev can do, but so much better.

Funny, the thieves say that Rev is a rich mans Thief.Tell me, what exactly is that
"everything"

Thief has;

Way higher damage than rev, it’s no competition. Even in a PVE environment it’s not even close. Power vs Power

High mobility than rev/sustain (once again no competition). Thief can cross entire DBL in like a minute.

People keep complying on rev because they lose to Revs that are nowhere near their own skill level. Rev has the LOWEST power damage by about 20-30% and LOWEST burst but people died to Rev hardest hitting attack and just can’t take it mentally.

I don't honestly know if you play PvP, Revs have one of the best burst in the game right now an i don't know how you can't notice it, maybe you don't see a lot of decent revenants but still. Claming that they have the lowest power damage ? kitten

https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/When max damage builds are objectively compared between all the classes, rev along with necro are the 2 bottom power dps classes in the game. Necro was slightly higher before the rune and sigil update and herald simply hasn't been updated, so it will probably be a bit lower from the scholar rune change, regardless every other class has a power build that does 2-10k more dps than rev. There are a few problems with applying these numbers to pvp: there are a lot of skill splits currently so pvp balance is quite different from pve, some classes can self buff better than others which is more important in pvp, and classes don't run max damage builds in pvp.

With regards to skill splits between game modes, most classes except for maybe ele would lose a decent amount of damage if pvp balance was applied to pve. While it is hard to say conclusively (much harder than I want to bother with), there is a high probability that if pvp balance was applied to pve, and the damage benchmarks were redone, rev would probably be the lowest on the list and by a fairly large margin. This is because since people started doing these benchmarks, rev has always been at or near the bottom of the list for power damage, and as such has received a very high number of pve specific damage buffs and pvp specific damage nerfs over the years, yet despite all that it is still at the bottom of the pve dps rankings.

With regards to self buffing capabilities, yes rev can self stack might better than most classes though they can all self stack 25 might if they build for it. What this does is allow rev to catch-up with and slightly surpass higher potential dps builds that can't stack might. Balance wise it makes sense for the might stacker to surpass the non might stacker all else being equal because might can be countered with boon rip unlike higher natural damage, and a non might stacker can potentially gain might from an ally to gain even higher damage where a self might stacker is already capped and gains nothing.

With regards to classes not running max damage, this is obviously true aside from meme builds. Most classes run at least 1 defensive traitline and 2 defensive utilities in their meta builds with the exceptions being herald and non blood necros. Pure pvp'ers like to say that weaver does too low of damage, but they don't consider that standard weaver build is using almost full defensive traits, utilities, and a mender's amulet while using a fairly defensive rotation dipping into water to riptide off cool down almost every time. A weaver with fire, air, and marauder does an absurd amount of damage but dies insanely easily so it isn't really worth it (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtlALfbxigw which is wvw but still way more damage than a rev could do in the same settings). Meta rev on the other hand has decent enough baseline survivability to not be a rally bot, so they go nearly full damage with their build to compensate the inherently low damage potential.

@incisorr.9502 said:

@"Sampson.2403" said:Good revenant players seem to carry matches more so than good players on other classes.

Not saying that make them OP, just an observation.

like how there's a 1.9K+ rev and like how none of the people posting here are actually 1750+ who have ever seen a high elo revenant and what they're capable of

just like my threads are mostly stating the obvious

good revs are broken cus the class is too forceful and does too much dmg , too reliably and " easy " and " uncounterably " in comparison to other classes

The rating argument is delusional, even below 1600 you get matched against everything above you including the top 10. Not very often, but frequently enough.Whether rev is broken is a matter of perspective. It certainly isn‘t broken compared to soulbeast, mirage, firebrand and holosmith. It simply excels at what it does, just like the aforementioned builds. Compared to other builds it is beyond ridiculous, e.g. core guard, dh, daredevil, druid etc. mind you, those builds aren‘t necessarily weak, the top tier builds are just ridiculously overturned in comparison. Rev is basically a core guard with less condi cleanse and stability but better everything else.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

"everything"

Thief has;

When max damage builds are objectively compared between all the classes, rev along with necro are the 2 bottom power dps classes in the game. Necro was slightly higher before the rune and sigil update and herald simply hasn't been updated, so it will probably be a bit lower from the scholar rune change, regardless every other class has a power build that does 2-10k more dps than rev. There are a few problems with applying these numbers to pvp: there are a lot of skill splits currently so pvp balance is quite different from pve, some classes can self buff better than others which is more important in pvp, and classes don't run max damage builds in pvp.

With regards to skill splits between game modes, most classes except for maybe ele would lose a decent amount of damage if pvp balance was applied to pve. While it is hard to say conclusively (much harder than I want to bother with), there is a high probability that if pvp balance was applied to pve, and the damage benchmarks were redone, rev would probably be the lowest on the list and by a fairly large margin. This is because since people started doing these benchmarks, rev has always been at or near the bottom of the list for power damage, and as such has received a very high number of pve specific damage buffs and pvp specific damage nerfs over the years, yet despite all that it is still at the bottom of the pve dps rankings.

With regards to self buffing capabilities, yes rev can self stack might better than most classes though they can all self stack 25 might if they build for it. What this does is allow rev to catch-up with and slightly surpass higher potential dps builds that can't stack might. Balance wise it makes sense for the might stacker to surpass the non might stacker all else being equal because might can be countered with boon rip unlike higher natural damage, and a non might stacker can potentially gain might from an ally to gain even higher damage where a self might stacker is already capped and gains nothing.

With regards to classes not running max damage, this is obviously true aside from meme builds. Most classes run at least 1 defensive traitline and 2 defensive utilities in their meta builds with the exceptions being herald and non blood necros. Pure pvp'ers like to say that weaver does too low of damage, but they don't consider that standard weaver build is using almost full defensive traits, utilities, and a mender's amulet while using a fairly defensive rotation dipping into water to riptide off cool down almost every time. A weaver with fire, air, and marauder does an absurd amount of damage but dies insanely easily so it isn't really worth it (see
which is wvw but still way more damage than a rev could do in the same settings). Meta rev on the other hand has decent enough baseline survivability to not be a rally bot, so they go nearly full damage with their build to compensate the inherently low damage potential.

Why are you bringing WvW and PvE discussions in a spvp thread?Like those modes are HIGHLY irrelevant to the entire discussion at hand.Why even attempt to draw a comparison or even bring up those two game modes?

@Solori.6025 said:

"everything"

Thief has;

When max damage builds are objectively compared between all the classes, rev along with necro are the 2 bottom power dps classes in the game. Necro was slightly higher before the rune and sigil update and herald simply hasn't been updated, so it will probably be a bit lower from the scholar rune change, regardless every other class has a power build that does 2-10k more dps than rev. There are a few problems with applying these numbers to pvp: there are a lot of skill splits currently so pvp balance is quite different from pve, some classes can self buff better than others which is more important in pvp, and classes don't run max damage builds in pvp.

With regards to classes not running max damage, this is obviously true aside from meme builds. Most classes run at least 1 defensive traitline and 2 defensive utilities in their meta builds with the exceptions being herald and non blood necros. Pure pvp'ers like to say that weaver does too low of damage, but they don't consider that standard weaver build is using almost full defensive traits, utilities, and a mender's amulet while using a fairly defensive rotation dipping into water to riptide off cool down almost every time. A weaver with fire, air, and marauder does an absurd amount of damage but dies insanely easily so it isn't really worth it (see
which is wvw but still way more damage than a rev could do in the same settings). Meta rev on the other hand has decent enough baseline survivability to not be a rally bot, so they go nearly full damage with their build to compensate the inherently low damage potential.

Why are you bringing WvW and PvE discussions in a spvp thread?Like those modes are HIGHLY irrelevant to the entire discussion at hand.Why even attempt to draw a comparison or even bring up those two game modes?

Because there is a debate about whether revenant damage is high compared to other classes and the only non anecdotal evidence available to us is through pve. So we take a look at the data we have, consider all factors on why it would be different in pvp and conclude that rev probably has a lower damage potential then the other classes but gets closer to it in practical application. It is simple.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

"everything"

Thief has;

Because there is a debate about whether revenant damage is high compared to other classes and the only non anecdotal evidence available to us is through pve.

This is a horrible comparison as the data does not translate into any realistic spvp scenarios or even accurate ability values. It's like comparing apples to doritos, the only thing they have in common is they are food...

You are trying to justify something with unrelated data, that's not at all simple that is lazy.If you want to find accurate data on whether or not Rev has low or high burst you can do a few things.Go PVP --Then after thatDo some more pvp..Repeat this for every class ( would recommend getting friends,like snow crows does)Notate the damage values in spvpCome back and make a detailed comparison as you just did.It will be more relevant, and actually hold some type of value rather than using unrelated and innaccurate data to make a point.

Edit:Also if we are going by the logic of using pve data.

Condition Renegade should be top spec for pvpWarriors should be running condi zerker-Mesmers should all be chrono powerHolo should be conditionrangers shouldnt be using longbowReapers shouldn't exist in spvp at allFirebrand shouldnt be support as Chrono does it better.All theives should only be deadeye rifle and dominate spvp with an iron fist.

@JayAction.9056 said:

"everything"

Thief has;

you did about 20% less damage than your claimed scenario with 13 might and 8 vuln on a thief with none of the possible damage reductions. I assumed best case scenario in hopes your claim could magically happen.

I don’t take screens of daily occurrences. Though Im not near my computer to post screens atm.

Do you ever look at the leaderboard? I’ve been trashing people since the game has been out consistently. I don’t take screens of daily occurrences dude. I’ve been ranked 50+ plenty. You have to beat near everyone for that...

I look at the leaderboard, and when I see that the #1 player is a 1 shot DE I stop looking because that alone shows how absurd the leaderboard is to begin with. Rank means nothing and the fact that you have it drilled into your head that being on the leaderboard means you "farm every rev NA" baffles me. Is your ego THAT big? Or could it be that you still have 0 evidence of these "daily occurrences" you have been mentioning and are making poor excuses because someone finally called you out? If it's a daily thing, take 2 seconds out of your normal routine to press 1 button for a screenshot of you farming all these revs and post it. It's not hard, the problem is that you can't and won't because it simply isn't true. Better yet, go and take unedited videos of you"farming" lora, fahad, rarnark, mur, and zol on their revs 1v1 and I will write you a personal apology post admitting how wrong I am. Until then, cut the BS.

@Ario.8964 said:

"everything"

Thief has;

I look at the leaderboard, and when I see that the #1 player is a 1 shot DE I stop looking because that alone shows how absurd the leaderboard is to begin with. Rank means nothing and the fact that you have it drilled into your head that being on the leaderboard means you "farm every rev NA" baffles me. Is your ego THAT big? Or could it be that you still have 0 evidence of these "daily occurrences" you have been mentioning and are making poor excuses because someone finally called you out? If it's a daily thing, take 2 seconds out of your normal routine to press 1 button for a screenshot of you farming all these revs and post it. It's not hard, the problem is that you can't and won't because it simply isn't true. Better yet, go and take unedited videos of you"farming" lora, fahad, rarnark, mur, and zol on their revs 1v1 and I will write you a personal apology post admitting how wrong I am. Until then, cut the BS.

"everything"

Thief has;

Dude if you're so great let me see you get top 10. Leaderboard is literally everything lmfao.

Rank means "nothing"? Dude come into reality.

Lora? Mediocre at rev.... and loses to me playing Holo, while I'm on Rev. LMFAO

Mur????? Doesn't even play rev, and i beat him while I'm on rev easily.

Rarnark???? who is this????? This person plays rev? Dude you just be saying stuff that isn't even true lmfao...

ZOL???? I smash him every game dude.

If leaderboard doesn't mean anything why are you even mentioning those names? Have you ever even been top 25? I can't take you serious with all this emotional crap dude. The leaderboard is there for a reason bro.

Clown isn't that great ima be real... but I'm pretty sure he will farm you lol.... DO YOU EVEN HAVE A TOP 25 TITLE? HAVE YOU EVER EXISTED IN TOP 25.

You must not be high rated at all dude. The fact I have to even convince you of this says you haven't been playing high rating at least for a good year or long if you ever have lmfao. Ima do like Naru and stop arguing with everybody so clueless on the forums lmfao.

@Alatar.7364 said:

Nothing you said stands.The vul was done by SW, D'Uh.You said I did 9.7 with zerk and 25 mights, I did 8.2 with Marauder and 13 stacks.Real case scenario would be 25 stacks which equals roughly the dmg I stated original.Nothing you say stands. You got a proof but you deliberately chose to ignore it. Nothing you said stands...

JayAction is the incissor of revs.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

Nothing you said stands.The vul was done by SW, D'Uh.You said I did 9.7 with zerk and 25 mights, I did 8.2 with Marauder and 13 stacks.Real case scenario would be 25 stacks which equals roughly the dmg I stated original.Nothing you say stands. You got a proof but you deliberately chose to ignore it. Nothing you said stands...

JayAction is the incissor of revs.

Here comes big brother crying on the forums after he’s literally been farmed at spawn.

Nice jokes bro.

All trolling ignored, Rev is one of the few classes in the game that doesn't rely on cheesy passives to carry them through their mistakes. Just about every other class either has a bunch of passive get out of jail free cards or absurd stability / CC immunity uptime or both allowing you to just mindlessly spam your skills without worry of being interrupted. Learning to play Rev was legit how I learned to actually pay attention and have field awareness, and realize how much further I still have to go.

The dark secret of GW2 balance is that if the same lack of scrub pandering that went into Rev was applied to the design of every other spec then GW2 pvp would be in a much better state and possibly still have a professional Esports league. I get that you need at least a few builds that are easier to play in order to help new players break into PvP. But the fact that most classes have builds that allow you to almost flat out ignore what your opponent is doing and yet still get into platinum is honestly going waaaaaaay too far on the shortbus scale.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

The dark secret of GW2 balance is that if the same lack of scrub pandering that went into Rev was applied to the design of every other spec then GW2 pvp would be in a much better state and possibly still have a professional Esports league.

...Even you know that is wishful thinking. The spvp community wouldn't survive if people actually had to pay attention to things they and their opponents were doing in order to be successful. That was made apparent in the pre-beta weekends

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Noha.3749 said:i cant understand how you dont see that a thief got way better mobility than a revenant.Its not even a competition, thieves got the best mobility ingame and their entire kit is all about evasion and mobility.

Every thief runs a shortbow, and with shortbow and steal alone they rock the field with mobility, now add in daredevil dodges for more mobility, shadowstep, MH sword 2 heck, even heartseeker is a decent mobility option if MH dagger.

it wont ever be a contest, thieves got most mobility in game and thats completely fine, thats what they are about.

it depends on the situation, roaming around with a shortbow, or racing towards a node yea d/p thief wins for sure, because of this has an additional role of taking decapping to the extreme

in +1 situations, when an enemy duelist flees the node and you need to kill it will be rev who has instant 1800 port (pt+s5), with another 1200 coming 5 seconds later. Sure this is something a thief can match using shortbow and ports (and back if needed), but at a much higher cost.Rev can reset much faster, and do this over and over again, all utilies and skills are low cooldown.

you only have to kite for 10 seconds towards a nice safe no port spot, or just wait 10 seconds trying to pick a target to have 100% energy in shiro, turning you into an absolute deathmachine with really no counter other than no port spots itself.

I still completely dissagree :p (isnt it lovely that we all have different opinions xD?)

Sure a revenant got great "burst engage", but using up pt + s5 you really only have enough energy for a single shortened burstrotation, and switching into glint to add up with more burst locks you our of shiros mobility options for the duration. They do however bring great cleave and distruption against multiple opponents.= Fast engage, great burst, avrage disengage

A thief can s2 through a wall for (is it 900 range?) (or shadowshot if d/p for 600range), steal with 1200 range, shadowstep 1200 range, shortbow5 whenever for whatever innitiative there is to spare for 900range and none of this really effects their way to disengage or burst. Also alot of thieves run that heal+dodge thingy with is it.. 300range?.I do think revenants burst is harder though, but a thief is more "disruptive" against a single target with boonrip + daze(if s/d), daze+daze(if d/p) and alot of the damage actually comes from the auto attacks and "well timed" dazes/boonrips.= fastest engage, good burst, great single target distruption, great disengage.

Yeah, thief can out mobilty most classes from a to b, but has little to no iniaitve left to be a real threat where as rev can still crazy dangerous.

A thief can travel 2400 without using a single innitiative. that argument will never work :pAny good thief travels faster and further than anything else and still got plenty of innitiative reserves to pull off "more abilities" than a revenant after thier innitial engage :p i mean comeon man.... I know you do know this unless you are salty bout revenants at the moment for some reason :p

@Noha.3749 said:

@Noha.3749 said:i cant understand how you dont see that a thief got way better mobility than a revenant.Its not even a competition, thieves got the best mobility ingame and their entire kit is all about evasion and mobility.

Every thief runs a shortbow, and with shortbow and steal alone they rock the field with mobility, now add in daredevil dodges for more mobility, shadowstep, MH sword 2 heck, even heartseeker is a decent mobility option if MH dagger.

it wont ever be a contest, thieves got most mobility in game and thats completely fine, thats what they are about.

it depends on the situation, roaming around with a shortbow, or racing towards a node yea d/p thief wins for sure, because of this has an additional role of taking decapping to the extreme

in +1 situations, when an enemy duelist flees the node and you need to kill it will be rev who has instant 1800 port (pt+s5), with another 1200 coming 5 seconds later. Sure this is something a thief can match using shortbow and ports (and back if needed), but at a much higher cost.Rev can reset much faster, and do this over and over again, all utilies and skills are low cooldown.

you only have to kite for 10 seconds towards a nice safe no port spot, or just wait 10 seconds trying to pick a target to have 100% energy in shiro, turning you into an absolute deathmachine with really no counter other than no port spots itself.

I still completely dissagree :p (isnt it lovely that we all have different opinions xD?)

Sure a revenant got great "burst engage", but using up pt + s5 you really only have enough energy for a single shortened burstrotation, and switching into glint to add up with more burst locks you our of shiros mobility options for the duration. They do however bring great cleave and distruption against multiple opponents.= Fast engage, great burst, avrage disengage

A thief can s2 through a wall for (is it 900 range?) (or shadowshot if d/p for 600range), steal with 1200 range, shadowstep 1200 range, shortbow5 whenever for whatever innitiative there is to spare for 900range and none of this really effects their way to disengage or burst. Also alot of thieves run that heal+dodge thingy with is it.. 300range?.I do think revenants burst is harder though, but a thief is more "disruptive" against a single target with boonrip + daze(if s/d), daze+daze(if d/p) and alot of the damage actually comes from the auto attacks and "well timed" dazes/boonrips.= fastest engage, good burst, great single target distruption, great disengage.

Yeah, thief can out mobilty most classes from a to b, but has little to no iniaitve left to be a real threat where as rev can still crazy dangerous.

A thief can travel 2400 without using a single innitiative. that argument will never work :pAny good thief travels faster and further than anything else

Wrong.an actual good thief will never use the 2,4 Combo. It wastes the two single most precious assets of its build and using it's Steal part to move puts Thief at INSANE, almost terminal, disadvantage.

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:I guess this is what the OP was talking about xD : https://streamable.com/b07foAs PT is a teleport skill, If you remove it, you should remove all tp skills (including Mirage thrust and Blink)Fyi neither mirage thrust or blink doesnt ignore walls like PT/sword5 . Those skills you try to mention nothing alike . Only skills that are similar is thief signet and steal and sword2

Boonbeast and holo are still the best class out there for now imo but revenant (and i'm a revenant player) is crazy in term of dmg output.

Hopefully it's hard to survive vs condies and if 2 players (or more sometimes) are harrassing. It's simple ... if there's a revenant in the enemy team ... he's the primary target for me. Too dangerous to let him free casting but easily killed if pressured .

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@"Eugchriss.2046" said:I guess this is what the OP was talking about xD :
As PT is a teleport skill, If you remove it, you should remove all tp skills (including Mirage thrust and Blink)Fyi neither mirage thrust or blink doesnt ignore walls like PT/sword5 . Those skills you try to mention nothing alike . Only skills that are similar is thief signet and steal and sword2

Well they actually are. They re all in the category "teleportation skills". While mes/thief/ele ones teleports to a LOCATION, rev/thief/guard/nec ones teleport to a TARGET. They re entirely the same.

8kcalwl.jpg12k on heavy armor core guard as you can see, marauder+scholar on me, no sword buff or crowd favor yet. Funny how I never hit a mesmer for anywhere near 10k or how you can hit a heavy armor guard for 12k and then weakness glance a soulbeast for 1k. The damage spread is real.

And yeah @incisorr.9502 you cannot precast other skills with Phase Traversal and you can still react to the second part of the Deathstrike.

@Eugchriss.2046 said:

@Eugchriss.2046 said:I guess this is what the OP was talking about xD :
As PT is a teleport skill, If you remove it, you should remove all tp skills (including Mirage thrust and Blink)Fyi neither mirage thrust or blink doesnt ignore walls like PT/sword5 . Those skills you try to mention nothing alike . Only skills that are similar is thief signet and steal and sword2

Well they actually are. They re all in the category "teleportation skills". While mes/thief/ele ones teleports to a LOCATION, rev/thief/guard/nec ones teleport to a TARGET. They re entirely the same.

It's still pretty annoying that ground targeted shadowsteps like shadow step, lightning flash, and blink need line of sight while Phase Traversal, Steal, Infiltrator's Strike and the like can be used through walls with targets having 0 chance to see the opponent coming.

I am pretty sure it s the same annoyement that the classes which have 0 target TP feel when a class with location TP manage to escape with 1 hp.Thus if you want to add line of sight in the TP algorithm, then add it for all kind of TP. Meaning that the mes in my vid could t have TP since there were no line of sight (from his POV) to get up there. The stairs were hidden by a wall (again from his POV).

I'm just asking for equality. If you guys want line of sight for target TP then let's add it for ALL KIND of TP..

Archived