The world should be divided into pre-full level(PVE) and full level world(PVEandPVP) world

eulaula.7168

Dear community and GW2 developersAs a new player i love this game and want it grow and growth as long as it can be.

I ve heard a "worthabuy" reviewer blame gw2 because they do not want pvp in a fixed area.If the world is different into two server, pre-full level(PVE) and full level world(PVEandPVP) world, i think this may change some people who love PVP and make them come back.What do you guys thinks, please comment below.

Thanks,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, this game was marketed and sold as having separate PvE and PvP areas. All who have bought the game bought it with that understanding. You’d lose far more people than you’d gain by putting PvP in the PvE maps.

In addition, they said it’s never going to happen.

Open world PvP“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

I think a developer should always try to provide opportunity and game modes to their player base if enough players can be found to engage in them.

That said, pvp MMOs have NEVER worked. Do not kid yourself, the only MMOs where pvp semi worked had a very solid pve backbone to go along with this. Let's take Eve Online, one of the remaining most hardcore MMOs in the western market. Years back CCP released numbers and it turns out, close to 90% of the entire player base do not leave high sec.

WoW is cutting back on their pvp servers and basically moving to an opt in option. Aion, though it has many other faults, failed and so did Shadowbane and many other pvp focused and/or pvp sandbox games.

Given GW2 player base, I doubt it is worth the resources to introduce pvp servers. I do believe those resources would be better spent on improving the spvp and wvw aspects of the game though.

EDIT: this is from a western market perspective. The Asian MMO market is different in many regards.

@"eulaula.7168" said:Dear community and GW2 developersAs a new player i love this game and want it grow and growth as long as it can be.

I ve heard a "worthabuy" reviewer blame gw2 because they do not want pvp in a fixed area.If the world is different into two server, pre-full level(PVE) and full level world(PVEandPVP) world, i think this may change some people who love PVP and make them come back.What do you guys thinks, please comment below.

Thanks,

Are you suggesting that the only PvE-only content is for sub-L80 characters? That any L80 character must engage in Open World-PvP?Not only would I vote nay to any kind of OW-PvP, but especially would veto this suggestion.

I agree with all the ppl above. All the MMOs with open PvP world that I played, had players complaining both because they couldn't complete their PvE quests in peace, or because they didn't find worthy opponents. Having two separate modes is the best option for me (unless you enjoy to gank unaware players, unwilling to fight you back): you give PvErs a relaxed environment to spend their time, and PvPers have they own maps where they can fight other players looking for the same thing.

WvW is the closest thing we have to an open PvP world: you can complete quests, capture forts, killing other players and even complete JP (I still remember when I completed Obsidian Sanctum with another "red" player... I only wanted to enlighten my path, but my torch risked to burn him, so we've been careful to throw it not too close to each other. When we both finished the JP, we jumped and didn't kill each other :smiley: .At least that day... It was nice.)

If the WvW maps are not so populated like the PvE ones, it means that most of the GW2 players are PvEers. It wouldn't be a wise choice to force them to PvP. And it wouldn't be good to always confine them into an only PvE server as well. Also, megaserver (and the future WvW servers) are/seem a good way to aggregate players together. When you have dedicated PvE/PvP servers, sooner or later one of them will have population/balance problems (and usually is the PvP one).

Me and a few others were camped out waiting on the WvW veteran for the creature slayer daily when an entire 40+ "enemy" squad rolled in and ganked us. It only upset me in that the three or four of us were no threat to whatever was going on and yet were targeted; HOWEVER, we were in the PvP environment and as such should expect to be ganked. I thought that it was kitten of them, but who was I to really complain? It's why I don't like to play WvW in the first place.

I really do not want this type of game-style to be somehow merged into PvE.

Honestly I would love this. I hate how we who enjoy open world PvP are stuffed into an ugly shoebox called WvW. Many beautiful maps go wasted and neglected.

Many in this topic have a knee jerk reaction, but the answer is obvious: there would be a self enabled toggle that flags you for PvP. So anyone that wants to fight in their adventures can do so, and people who don't want to PvP get the extra detail of seeing other people duke it out.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Honestly I would love this. I hate how we who enjoy open world PvP are stuffed into an ugly shoebox called WvW. Many beautiful maps go wasted and neglected.

Many in this topic have a knee jerk reaction, but the answer is obvious: there would be a self enabled toggle that flags you for PvP. So anyone that wants to fight in their adventures can do so, and people who don't want to PvP get the extra detail of seeing other people duke it out.

Reactions you don't agree with are not kneejerk. I can think of other reasons not to just have a flag. For example, two people dueling in the open world and hitting something that's in an event that spawns will scale the event for the one guy near them who's not flagged who may be doing it. There were flags in Rift too and it didn't work, even on a PVE only server. There were still times and issues where PvP i nterfered in what I was doing. My experience of a system with flags on a PVE server doesn't equate to a knee jerk reaction. It's an experience I'm in no way anxious to repeat.

i don't agree with adding open world PvP in the same reason as the others who posted before me. it's not fun to lose progress (and loot in other games) to players who think it's fun to pick on people at a lower level than them (and then run away scared or call h4xxx on people of the same level that own them straight up).

i would only be barely ok with open world PvP if it had a toggle-off option (like the passive mode in GTA Online - that annoyingly, you had to turn on every time you join a pub lobby so you wont die the minute you spawn in)

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Honestly I would love this. I hate how we who enjoy open world PvP are stuffed into an ugly shoebox called WvW. Many beautiful maps go wasted and neglected.

Reactions you don't agree with are not kneejerk. I can think of other reasons not to just have a flag. For example, two people dueling in the open world and hitting something that's in an event that spawns will scale the event for the one guy near them who's not flagged who may be doing it. There were flags in Rift too and it didn't work, even on a PVE only server. There were still times and issues where PvP i nterfered in what I was doing. My experience of a system with flags on a PVE server doesn't equate to a knee jerk reaction. It's an experience I'm in no way anxious to repeat.

It's kneejerk because they were acting like OP was suggesting an always-enabled PvP toggle, which is obviously silly and wouldn't work. Open world PvP in most games has a toggle.

You say it interfered in your PvE experience even when there is a toggle, but you don't elaborate how that could happen. It would be exactly as the game is now, except some people would be engaging in duels and fights. The "scaling" example you give doesn't really work, because people can just come and stand at your event right now and scale it anyway, nothing to do with PvP.

The fact is toggle-enabled open world PvP hurts nobody.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:It's kneejerk because they were acting like OP was suggesting an always-enabled PvP toggle, which is obviously silly and wouldn't work. Open world PvP in most games has a toggle.

the OP never mentioned anything about having a toggle, only that at level 80, it would be PvE+PvP on the open world:

@"eulaula.7168" said:If the world is different into two server, pre-full level(PVE) and full level world(PVEandPVP) world, i think this may change some people who love PVP and make them come back.

hence the "kneejerk" reactions

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:The fact is toggle-enabled open world PvP hurts nobody.

if they ever do add open world PvP, this is the only way i'd be fine with it. otherwise no

EDIT: NCSoft (asian) owns Anet, and a lot of eastern games with open world PvP have no toggle-off. so if they ever do add it, there's a small chance that it'd go that way too but who knows

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Honestly I would love this. I hate how we who enjoy open world PvP are stuffed into an ugly shoebox called WvW. Many beautiful maps go wasted and neglected.

It's kneejerk because they were acting like OP was suggesting an always-enabled PvP toggle, which is obviously silly and wouldn't work. Open world PvP in most games has a toggle.

You say it interfered in your PvE experience even when there is a toggle, but you don't elaborate how that could happen. It would be exactly as the game is now, except some people would be engaging in duels and fights. The "scaling" example you give doesn't really work, because people can just come and stand at your event right now and scale it anyway, nothing to do with PvP.

Experience from other games suggests it does

Firstly even with a toggle players spam pm or map chat. That requires having to keep blocking people or turning on/off chat just to avoid those

Secondly, whilst pve is not without it's fair share of this, pvp brings with it a level of toxicity into open world players simply don't want to see or have around them. It's not really fair to for them to have to keep blocking and turning off chats to avoid the spam and arguments etc etc when it isn't a feature many want to see around them.

Open world pvp doesn't really add anything. Open World is all about cooperation, pvp is all about competition. The two don't blend well when thrown together in an MMO and I've yet to see an MMO pull a toggle off successfully and avoid these issues. We have 2 modes for pvp. Bringing more elements of pve to pvp wouldn't be welcomed and it is to be expected that bringing pvp to pve should be equally shunned.

Open world PvP only benefits those that want to PvP and just creates issues for those that don’t who end up getting ganked. PvP’ers already have their respective game modes to play with others that also enjoy that type of gameplay. Let’s not forget that many PvP’ers already dislike PvE elements in PvP so having more of it in an open world scenario wouldn’t really be the best for them either.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Firstly even with a toggle players spam pm or map chat. That requires having to keep blocking people or turning on/off chat just to avoid those

Secondly, whilst pve is not without it's fair share of this, pvp brings with it a level of toxicity into open world players simply don't want to see or have around them. It's not really fair to for them to have to keep blocking and turning off chats to avoid the spam and arguments etc etc when it isn't a feature many want to see around them.

Open world pvp doesn't really add anything. Open World is all about cooperation, pvp is all about competition. The two don't blend well when thrown together in an MMO and I've yet to see an MMO pull a toggle off successfully and avoid these issues. We have 2 modes for pvp. Bringing more elements of pve to pvp wouldn't be welcomed and it is to be expected that bringing pvp to pve should be equally shunned.

So the issue isn't with PvP, its more of a people problem you describe. Contrary to what you may believe, people who PvP aren't "hooligans" or something.

So the issue isn't with PvP, its more of a people problem you describe. Contrary to what you may believe, people who PvP aren't "hooligans" or something.

The issue isn't pvp players it is open world gankers. These are not able to play on a level playing field which is what pvp is about, or willing to fight others who want a fight which is what wvw is all about. Or they are getting a kick out of people not fighting back which is an issue that the player themselves will need to deal with not the game or other players.

I don't believe pvp players are hooligans (didn't say they were either in my post). I do think pvp itself by its nature is well suited to setting up an atmosphere which is the antithesis of what open world is about and this would be very attractive to those who wish to be disruptive, whether they ordinarily pvp or not.

I have yet to see how co-mingling the two modes in open world can have a positive influence on the game and mesh well with the pillars the game is built upon

Archived