Gem store = Outfits, but Game = Armor

Zephyron.7081

The Gem Store should sell outfits. But you should be able to grind for armor pieces of those outfits in game.

The gem store is a good thing to bring in revenue to Anet so we get to keep playing GW2. However, legendary armor is so difficult to get (and that's the point) and having everything awesome looking in the gem store makes people question why they are playing the game in the first place.

Anet should take a note at how Warframe does it. You can earn everything in game if you grind for it or you can pay $$$, but it's never pay to win.

I'd like to see more skins that are exclusive to sPvP, WvW, fractals, & open world PvE. As well as skins that can be earned by participating in all game modes.

1) You can earn anything in the gem store by grinding gold and using it to buy gems.

2) There already are armour skins exclusive to PvP, WvW and PvE. They may not be ones you personally like as much as outfits, but if they made more there's no guarantee those would be ones you like either. WvW has Triumphant armour, which has 3 different versions, PvP has Glorious and the Legacy armour skins, and PvE has about 20 different sets for each weight class - 8 from dungeons, 3 order and 3 cultural sets, dropped sets, karma sets, living world/expansion map reward sets, plus all the individual pieces from living world meta achievements.

@Danikat.8537 said:1) You can earn anything in the gem store by grinding gold and using it to buy gems.

2) There already are armour skins exclusive to PvP, WvW and PvE. They may not be ones you personally like as much as outfits, but if they made more there's no guarantee those would be ones you like either. WvW has Triumphant armour, which has 3 different versions, PvP has Glorious and the Legacy armour skins, and PvE has about 20 different sets for each weight class - 8 from dungeons, 3 order and 3 cultural sets, dropped sets, karma sets, living world/expansion map reward sets, plus all the individual pieces from living world meta achievements.

Ya, but all those skins are old. We need new skinsGrinding gold for gems is awful. Outfits should be the money shortcut, but if you work for it, you should be able to get the armor pieces of the outfits by just playing the game. This would be awesome, because then we could use different armor pieces from different outfits to mix and match new combinations. It would give people the incentive to keep playing for more aesthetic choices. Plus, it would be a status thing to show off the armor rather than just an outfit bought.

Outfits don't have pieces, thus no 'armor skins'. It's not like the Devs can just cut them apart; they are a different weight than either Light, Medium or Heavy. If the Devs were going to make new skins for each armor weight, they will probably always spend their time making new skins, and release them into the game, as usual.

@Zephyron.7081 said:The Gem Store should sell outfits. But you should be able to grind for armor pieces of those outfits in game.It's not realistic.

• Outfits are a fifth weight of armor, distinct from light|medium|heavy. They cannot co-exist with the other weights.
  • Outfits are designed as single items; they don't have pieces.

The gem store is a good thing to bring in revenue to Anet so we get to keep playing GW2. However, legendary armor is so difficult to get (and that's the point) and having everything awesome looking in the gem store makes people question why they are playing the game in the first place.You should take a look at Requiem armor, added to the game as part of LS4.4.

Anet should take a note at how Warframe does it. You can earn everything in game if you grind for it or you can pay $$$, but it's never pay to win.There's no pay-to-win in GW2 either.

I'd like to see more skins that are exclusive to sPvP, WvW, fractals, & open world PvE. As well as skins that can be earned by participating in all game modes.I don't think you'll find a single person that doesn't want more skins in the game. The bottleneck isn't the demand; it's the ability to supply more skins. There's simply not enough devs in the universe to sate our need to look fabulous.

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike other people on this forum who just say your opinion is not valid. I understand where you are coming from and fortunately I think arena net does as well.Recently we have seen an influx of new armor pieces added to the game with each living story/expansion.The expansion brought 4 new armor sets.the living story has given us.1 helmet1 topa full armor settons of new weapons.all achievable in the game.

I think they are beginning to understand and are making efforts to add more stuff over time.Outfits are different and I personally love them so I can make my guardian look like a light armor class.But we are getting there.

I am going to drop a comment that I made on similar post at the weekend:

@Donutdude.9582 said:Compared to the armour obtainable by traditional means, there are not that many gem store sets.

I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.

EDIT 16/12/2018: To support my point, I checked the Wiki and found that only seven sets are available via the Gem Store. The rest are obtainable traditionally.

The armour available in this game, aside from a few sets, are available through traditional means. The gem store is already used mainly for outfits and other cosmetics. There are a lot of exceptions, I know, but for this argument my point is valid.

Outfits, as stated by Arenanet, are stand alone. They do not watch out for clipping issues with outfits since the single pieces do not have to work with other items, unlike regular armor pieces.

As such by the very nature of this difference, allowing single pieces from outfits to be worn would create a huge mess and tons of clipping issues.

The not having to worry about clipping with other armor pieces also allows outfits to be created a lot faster, which increases their profitability versus resources spent. I doubt this is going to change or get changed.

It's one of the prices one pays for a "free" game and not having to pay a subscription fee.

@"Zephyron.7081" said:The Gem Store should sell outfits. But you should be able to grind for armor pieces of those outfits in game.

The gem store is a good thing to bring in revenue to Anet so we get to keep playing GW2. However, legendary armor is so difficult to get (and that's the point) and having everything awesome looking in the gem store makes people question why they are playing the game in the first place.

Anet should take a note at how Warframe does it. You can earn everything in game if you grind for it or you can pay $$$, but it's never pay to win.

I'd like to see more skins that are exclusive to sPvP, WvW, fractals, & open world PvE. As well as skins that can be earned by participating in all game modes.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but....The last full armor sets added to the gemstore were with the April 2014 Feature Pack. It was the Striders, Incarnate and Rampart sets.The new only armor pieces since then in the gemstore have been the one or two piece bits like the recent Raven ones.Since then, if I am not mistaken over 20 distinct, new armor sets have been added to the game, all of them in-game earnable. We've also seen a large number of "one-off pieces" added, like the elite spec shoulders in PoF or the bits we get with each LW episode.

Meanwhile many outfits have been added to the store since April 2014.

So if you are asking for armor to be earnable in game while outfits are sold for gems?You have been getting exactly this for years.

I don't think the Devs will be 'splitting apart' Outfits into stand-alone Armor pieces, earned in-game or not. That's the same as creating new Armor sets which take quite some time compared to Outfits.When the Devs create whole new Armor sets, they are earned in-game; they just don't copy the Outfits, usually, in the Gem Store.

Archived