plz let us mute players intruments

TheUndying.7213

Hello I am part of a musicians guild. I find this to be incredibly fun. However we are having a lot of harassment from this guy who like to spam bell on us. I have this gentlemen blocked but this is truly ruining the experience. even when im not playing he just follows and spams bell. It is not just I it is a slew of us in divinities reach. I truly wish we could mute just his instrument. I reported for spamming but im not sure what else to do. Please help us find a way to enjoy the game. Normally the answer would simply be turn off music volume but I am playing music, another consideration is to go somewhere else but he follows and we have a lot of people that listen to us in this spot, especially the tinies. I have put a lot of effort into this and would like to play. Please advise. I do have his char name and account and screenshots. I am sorry to be a bother. we have asked him nicely but he is rather persistant. He is intentionally harassing us its rather upsetting. If we had a way to just block his instrument at least we could enjoy music and carry on. I hope I posted this in correct forum if not Im sorry

First, stop interacting with the player. Feeding trolls is the surest way to keep them hanging around, like pigeons who never leave a park bench. Don't even tell the person you are reporting them and get your guildies to do the same.

Second, file a support ticket. Include as many examples as you can of their behavior: times, dates, locations, screenshots... whatever you have. It's unlikely that ANet is going to take action against a single instance of someone behaving like a frisky dog. And that's why you want to document it. It's likely if this person is bugging you, they have done it to others.

Finally, I'd recommend starting a new thread (since you don't yet have permissions to edit the title of this one). We can already mute player instruments. (In fact, I have that enabled nearly all the time.) What you are looking for is the ability to block the instrument of specific players. I suspect you'd get more support if the suggestion was rephrased us:

Enable 'Block' to Also Mute the Player's InstrumentsWe've all had the experience of attempting to enjoy a skilled musician perform (or even just a well-written script), when someone shows up acting like a toddler with a new toy keyboard, plucking randomly (it seems) at a couple of keys. It would be great if /blocking that person's chat also blocked the instrument. That would prevent this particular form of harassment, reducing player annoyance and tickets to support.As a bonus, maybe this could also block other types of sound effects from the individual, e.g. leveling up, legendary weapons, minis, etc.

You aren't very descriptive in how this all went down. If I remember correctly you were spamming little mermaid. On top of that, You called me a douche because someone asked if I had fur elise and I played it for them for a second. By followed, I moved less than 6 steps and I was next to you. I never moved more than a few steps. You were close enough regardless to hear the bell. Also, There is a way to turn off the instrument music if you actually bothered to look. Of course that would require you to do something for yourself. You also used "Reporting" and "harassment" as threats to get your way instead of what they are actually intended for. This is neither harassment nor an issue worth reporting. You blocked me and didn't leave or even move more than a few steps away.

This exchange makes it easier to see why ANet doesn't always take action despite a public complaint: the missing side of a story often suggests a very different history.

Still, it seems clear that regardless of which story is true, adding sound muting to /block would address the issue of both parties. A & friends would block B and B and company would block A, with the rest of us (and ANet Support) blissfully unaware of the situation.

@mindcircus.1506 said:That's a pretty crappy misuse of the ingame reporting systemIf the OP's allegations were accurate, it's a perfectly reasonable use of the reporting system.If the allegations are inaccurate, then OP would be the one in jeopardy: it's not just a crappy misuse; ANet can (and has) suspended people for wrongly reporting others.

But hey thanks for showing that toxicity comes from more than just raids and PvP.Toxic is as toxic does, wherever it appears.

I'll tell you what happened.

We were playing music in the center of DR (Divinities Reach) by the the large statue between the Black lion trader and the banks. TheUndying started playing Under the Sea by the little mermaid. Someone asked if I had Fur elise on my Harp and so I played it for them for only about 20 or 30 seconds. TheUndying stopped playing and started asking my why I was playing over him calling me a douchebag repeatedly. I ignored him. They continued referring to me as a douchebag so, yes, I got petty. They were probably 5 to 8 steps away from where the main group was. I played Under the sea by the Little mermaid on repeat, but never moved from the main group. He moved from the main group to the other side then moved back and started complaining about me harassing him again while threatening to report me. "I don't see any other way I'm going to have to report him" was what he said in the game. Basically, He was trying to manipulate the situation to make it sound like I was the bad guy because he was being just as petty as I was. Only difference is I didn't report anyone for anything, but I most certainly came on here to state my case. I'll admit I wasn't in the right here either, but I definitely didn't threaten or abuse the system the way he was. Also, his group was 5 people.

I don't want every player banned for playing the bell over someone. I think a better way would be able to block it. His description is quite inaccurate I stopped playing and did not harass this person. I am sure you can see that I had him blocked previously I do not believe he could even read what I said nor did I say any of those things. I played a singular song and not on repeat. Everytime he was playing I did not spam over him. He commenced to stand over us and played for hours. And it was bell spamming not music. I have screenshots. I left area and he would follow. This was harassment.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:This exchange makes it easier to see why ANet doesn't always take action despite a public complaint: the missing side of a story often suggests a very different history.

Still, it seems clear that regardless of which story is true, adding sound muting to /block would address the issue of both parties. A & friends would block B and B and company would block A, with the rest of us (and ANet Support) blissfully unaware of the situation.

This post (and in fact the whole thread) made me think of a line in a song.

"There's three sides to every story... Well, there's your side, there's my side, and then there's the truth."-- Loverboy, Dangerous. (Yes, I agree, I'm showing my age.)

Returning to the topic at hand... I do think it's strange (in this and other MMORPGs) the number of things that don't get blocked/ignored when you block/ignore a player.

OK I really wasn't trying to go here but lets get some more detail. So I jumped into Divinities reach with my favorite composer. I was very excited about new song. I had already gotten the chance to play and it was awesome. When we got there my favorite composer started playing. And then he started playing. It was quite a bit of fun as they took turns and played. I was trying to squeeze in a song here and there to no avail. I play here ALOT and honestly I had my fill and I don't hear them play often so I was not worried about it. In pauses I started playing a song or 2 and he'd play over, again its not big deal I just like to hear music. Everytime he did I stopped so he could play his music It was after all most of the songs I liked. After my fav composer finished Beethoven - Tempest op31 no2. 3rd mvt there was silence so I played under the sea.. This was not 5 times this was not repeated I started it once. I was about 20 seconds into it and he played over. So I stopped and asked him why hes playing over me. I assume at this point there is nothing malice or anything. None of that was a big deal and is pretty normal.. There is always someone with a bell who wants to play half the time they are trying to play with you in DR and should be encouraged imo. Again I play here a lot and I don't report everytime someone trolls it with a bell He stopped playing and I was like ok cool. there was silence so I played music box dancer and he ran his character over to me and spammed over me under the sea. Lame o ok so music is done so I just started chatting with guildies and I was attempting to work with some new players there. Sadly wherever I went he just stood ontop of me and spammed bell over me. I did try to wait it out because...trolls. So I afk for some time I cant tell you for sure probably 30 mins. I come back and he is still waiting lol. I was quite frustrated and I did ask him to stop. I unblocked him so he could see what I typed. I did not call him kitty I was rather polite. There were a lot of people there and many of them were unhappy with it. I heard a lot of unhappy comments. there was no way to block the music. He knew he was blocked he just wanted to continue to troll wherever I went. Mind you I was still in divinities reach but that's where we hang out. I also probably should have muted music earlier but he was still on top of my toon spamming. I heard a lot of people complaining, I DID tell them to block and report as "spam". I believe anet will have records of all this. If you feel I blatantly misused report function I will deal with the consequences but in my opinion this is exactly what its for. Furthermore I believe we should be able to block someone and not hear their bell spamming ontop of us. He spammed ontop of me wherever I went for an hour before I afkd, I was rather patient. I believe you should look at situation a little more before u claim I misused the report function.edited to add the hour thing and some typos (clearly not all lol)

After reviewing the situation since I had him already blocked previously I am not honestly sure if he heard me ask why is he playing over me. I don't feed trolls I just block and enjoy my free time. Sadly the block function failed me here. He also spammed ontop of me for quite some time before I asked him to stop or mentioned anything about reporting. That should not make it acceptiable for him to continue to do it another hour. This is harassment. Also a most of it was music to be fair but some of it was also just bell spam.
editedWhen I say over me he followed me around and played ontop of my toon nonstop.People have bad days, people have offendable senses of humor, some people enjoy trolling. Some people think trolls are funny. I think unless it is blatant misconduct such as threats, or hacking and cheating that players should not be subject to being banned. But I also believe that I should be able to block those I find offensive. Please give me a way to do so. I never mentioned his name nor his account. If I feel I am being harassed and I am unable to block and it restricts part of the game for me I am going to report. Anet you have given me 6 wonderful years on a game I love, I look forward to another 6 years, please consider my request.

@TheUndying.7213 said:Hello I am part of a musicians guild. I find this to be incredibly fun. However we are having a lot of harassment from this guy who like to spam bell on us. I have this gentlemen blocked but this is truly ruining the experience. even when im not playing he just follows and spams bell. It is not just I it is a slew of us in divinities reach. I truly wish we could mute just his instrument. I reported for spamming but im not sure what else to do. Please help us find a way to enjoy the game. Normally the answer would simply be turn off music volume but I am playing music, another consideration is to go somewhere else but he follows and we have a lot of people that listen to us in this spot, especially the tinies. I have put a lot of effort into this and would like to play. Please advise. I do have his char name and account and screenshots. I am sorry to be a bother. we have asked him nicely but he is rather persistant. He is intentionally harassing us its rather upsetting. If we had a way to just block his instrument at least we could enjoy music and carry on. I hope I posted this in correct forum if not Im sorry

Hi,

I had no idea I could be in a musician's guild. Can I join? lol

yas!!there are many!! in fact check this out!!!!https://www.youtube.com/user/mucisianguildoftyriathey even have videos!!!I can put in a word for you but you really don't need me. Keep an eye out for these tagsMGTMCTBOBDall amazing guilds. It adds so much more depth to the game!!If u pm me in game ill get you an invite.I can teach as well, we can be dueting in no time :D.

@"TheUndying.7213" said:yas!!there are many!! in fact check this out!!!!https://www.youtube.com/user/mucisianguildoftyriathey even have videos!!!I can put in a word for you but you really don't need me. Keep an eye out for these tagsMGTMCTBOBDall amazing guilds. It adds so much more depth to the game!!If u pm me in game ill get you an invite.I can teach as well, we can be dueting in no time :D.

how can i find u ingame?

I am in TheUndying's guild, and have seen the offender in action in DR. He gets right on top of the musician playing and spams a bell constantly. He also appears to seek out TheUndying specifically for this treatment, making it a form of stalking and online harassment. As such, it should be permanently bannable. We need the block function to also block a player's instruments, and we need ANet to be MUCH more aggressive in dealing with problem players like this one.

Archived