[Deleted]

@"Mouse.7382" said:Where did you get this information from? I have clicked around the forums and do not see these official topics. I would just be blind.

WvW announcement was made earlier this year(alliance update, but information on whats going to change is pretty much from what ive seen, nothing), and the no expansion was "announced" in a stream with the devs, they are going right into the next living world season instead.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Mouse.7382" said:Where did you get this information from? I have clicked around the forums and do not see these official topics. I would just be blind.

WvW announcement was made earlier this year(alliance update, but information on whats going to change is pretty much from what ive seen, nothing), and the no expansion was "announced" in a stream with the devs, they are going right into the next living world season instead.

I want to like WvW, similar to what Dark Age of Camelot did--but its not there. No big loss.However, the no expansion puts a real damper on my hopes. Sad news!

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet didn't state there would be no new expansion; they stated that Living World Season 5 would follow directly after Season 4.

What happens after Season 5 could be another expansion...or something else.

I am confused as well over the OP's statements. Nothing specific was said about WvW changes, and there definitely never was an announcement stating that there won't be any more expansions. Truly a confusing post...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:ArenaNet didn't state there would be no new expansion; they stated that Living World Season 5 would follow directly after Season 4.

Nothing specific was said about WvW changes...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuringhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/45856/world-restructuring-update-1

Perhaps what you meant was no specific date was given for the completion of the WvW changes?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:ArenaNet didn't state there would be no new expansion; they stated that Living World Season 5 would follow directly after Season 4.

I am confused as well over the OP's statements. Nothing specific was said about WvW changes, and there definitely never was an announcement stating that there won't be any more expansions. Truly a confusing post...

You are both correct. They did not state there would be no new expansion. They stated there would be no new expansion in the 2 year time frame that myself and others were expecting. And in fact you are just mirroring what I said above: Nothing specific was said about the WvW changes, but they announced it with a keyword being Alliances.

@Mouse.7382 said:

@Mouse.7382 said:Where did you get this information from? I have clicked around the forums and do not see these official topics. I would just be blind.

I want to like WvW, similar to what Dark Age of Camelot did--but its not there. No big loss.However, the no expansion puts a real damper on my hopes. Sad news!

You could see it that way, or you could see it this way: More time working on the (possible) next expansion means it will have more content, and the surprise when (if) they do announce it will be 100-fold. Keep up with the Living World, and an eye on what they're doing in Central Tyria (adding raceways in Core zones). I think ANet has something... Something... in store for us.

@"JustTrogdor.7892" said:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuringhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/45856/world-restructuring-update-1

Perhaps what you meant was no specific date was given for the completion of the WvW changes?

Nope, I meant what you thought I meant. ;) Thanks for the links, totally missed those threads.

Those truly do sound like horrible changes in many regards. There are only 2 people in our rather inactive guild who play WvW on occasion - I am one of them. I have no slot left for a WvW guild. So with these new changes, I won't be able to find an alliance for WvW, I guess. Hmph. WvW is my least favorite game mode, but it's good for farming several highly useful things - I would hate to not have the option anymore.

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:They stated there would be no new expansion in the 2 year time frame that myself and others were expecting.

They stated that LS5 would follow directly after LS4. Without knowing anything else, it's impossible to say if that means Expansion 3 will be 24 months after PoF launched or not. And even if we did know, why were you or anyone else expecting an expansion within any time frame at all? ANet never announces timelines unless they are ready to announce a launch.

Naturally it can be fun to attempt to predict dates, but that's a different matter from expecting them. So it would be fair to congratulate ANet on a good job for not setting specific expectations (as is their wont). But to be appreciative or disappointed that they missed some arbitrary goal that the community hyped up? That's on us, not on them.

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:

You are both correct. They did not state there would be no new expansion. They stated there would be no new expansion in the 2 year time frame that myself and others were expecting. And in fact you are just mirroring what I said above: Nothing
specific
was said about the WvW changes, but they announced it with a keyword being
Alliances

Actually, they didn't say that either...they said nothing about whether there would be an expansion or not...zero, zilch, nada, not a word. Even rolling right into season 5 from season 4 still leaves room for them to roll out an expansion roughly 2 years after PoF. There is no set length for a Living World season, it could be as short as 2 episodes or as long as 8...or anything in between. We know for a fact that Season 4 is 6 episodes long because Long Live the Lich was the half-way point, and A Star to Guide Us was the beginning of the second half(3 episodes each). Extrapolating from a 2 - 3 month release cadence(but let's go with 12 weeks for ease of calculations) would put episode 5 right at the end of December...well we can rule that out unless they decide to release during the middle of Wintersday(highly unlikely, but possible). So then lets push that out a few weeks and say the middle of January or the week after Wintersday ends. Then we have the final episode approximately 12 weeks later, which would be around the middle of April. Now we get to Season 5, first episode releases around the end of June beginning of July. Followed by the 2nd episode in September/October. Now it's most likely a stretch to say Season 5 is 2 episodes, but it is possible, that would mean a release date around the end of the year/holiday season for the next Expansion. Will that be the case, we, the players, don't know, but it's within the realm of possibilities...though I'd guess that 2020 is more likely in this scenario.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:They stated there would be no new expansion in the 2 year time frame that myself and others were expecting.

They stated that LS5 would follow directly after LS4. Without knowing anything else, it's impossible to say if that means Expansion 3 will be 24 months after PoF launched or not. And even if we did know, why were you or anyone else expecting an expansion within any time frame at all? ANet
never
announces timelines
unless
they are ready to announce a launch.

Naturally it can be fun to attempt to predict dates, but that's a different matter from
expecting
them. So it would be fair to congratulate ANet on a good job for not setting specific expectations (as is their wont). But to be appreciative or disappointed that they missed some arbitrary goal that the community hyped up? That's on us, not on them.

Well to be fair, my writing skills are still in practice. The first paragraph was disappointment at the WvW announcement, the second was about another subject.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:ArenaNet didn't state there would be no new expansion; they stated that Living World Season 5 would follow directly after Season 4.

You are both correct. They did not state there would be no new expansion. They stated there would be no new expansion in the 2 year time frame that myself and others were expecting. And in fact you are just mirroring what I said above: Nothing
specific
was said about the WvW changes, but they announced it with a keyword being
Alliances

Actually, they didn't say that either...they said nothing about whether there would be an expansion or not...zero, zilch, nada, not a word. Even rolling right into season 5 from season 4 still leaves room for them to roll out an expansion roughly 2 years after PoF. There is no set length for a Living World season, it could be as short as 2 episodes or as long as 8...or anything in between. We know for a fact that Season 4 is 6 episodes long because Long Live the Lich was the half-way point, and A Star to Guide Us was the beginning of the second half(3 episodes each). Extrapolating from a 2 - 3 month release cadence(but let's go with 12 weeks for ease of calculations) would put episode 5 right at the end of December...well we can rule that out unless they decide to release during the middle of Wintersday(highly unlikely, but possible). So then lets push that out a few weeks and say the middle of January or the week after Wintersday ends. Then we have the final episode approximately 12 weeks later, which would be around the middle of April. Now we get to Season 5, first episode releases around the end of June beginning of July. Followed by the 2nd episode in September/October. Now it's most likely a stretch to say Season 5 is 2 episodes, but it is possible, that would mean a release date around the end of the year/holiday season for the next Expansion. Will that be the case, we, the players, don't know, but it's within the realm of possibilities...though I'd guess that 2020 is more likely in this scenario.

So let's suppose what you're saying is correct. Because it certainly is plausible, the only problem with this sort of think is that: It's too reliant on "ifs and buts," and it drives a wedge between the transition to acceptance for the certain period of time where there will be a lull in content. Surely you're not trying to convince me, and get my hopes up, that season 5 will only be 2 episodes after I have accepted the fact that there is no 2 year time frame between expansions?

People were hyped, and we got an answer. "Will it be Cantha? Underwater? Tengu?" No, there will be no new expansion for now. Stay posted.

While you're correct that saying nothing doesn't mean "no" directly, an educated guess is what started this, and it is now how it ends.

though I'd guess that 2020 is more likely in this scenario.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Isn’t it kind of early for a new expansion? It’s only been a year. I would expect 2 years between expansions.

As for the WvW update they said at the time it was a heads up but not to expect it for months, with no release date given.

Its already been a year and 2 months and the 4th season isnt over, moving to s5 basically means if an expansion is comming it will take 2 and a half years.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It's probably not the best idea to predict a pattern off of just one instance. There's only been the one time period between expansions - from Heart of Thorns to Path of Fire - thus, who knows what the time between expansions will be the majority of times? It may even be different every single time!

That would be a change from the cadence that MO? stated they were had stated when HoT was announced...of course, since then we've also had another change, going from Colin to Mike Z., and I don't believe we've heard anything from Z on what kind of schedule for everything they have(if they even have schedules now).

@Zaklex.6308 said:That would be a change from the cadence that MO? stated they were had stated when HoT was announced...of course, since then we've also had another change, going from Colin to Mike Z., and I don't believe we've heard anything from Z on what kind of schedule for everything they have(if they even have schedules now).

It would not be a change from a cadence, which isn't any sort of promise; it's a guideline, a goal. In any case, all they really said is that they would continue living world updates and make expansions (as they were developed) fit into that same cadence. They never said anything definitive about how often they would release.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:That would be a change from the cadence that MO? stated they were had stated when HoT was announced...of course, since then we've also had another change, going from Colin to Mike Z., and I don't believe we've heard anything from Z on what kind of schedule for everything they have(if they even have schedules now).

It would not be a change from a
cadence
, which isn't any sort of promise; it's a guideline, a goal. In any case, all they really said is that they would continue living world updates and make expansions (as they were developed) fit into that same cadence. They never said anything definitive about how often they would release.

Actually MO did when HoT was announced, he specifically stated they were looking at doing expansions every 2 years, if that isn't a definitive time on how often they would be releasing expansions, I don't know what it is.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

It would not be a change from a
cadence
, which isn't any sort of promise; it's a guideline, a goal. In any case, all they really said is that they would continue living world updates and make expansions (as they were developed) fit into that same cadence. They never said anything definitive about how often they would release.

Actually MO did when HoT was announced, he specifically stated they were looking at doing expansions every 2 years, if that isn't a definitive time on how often they would be releasing expansions, I don't know what it is.

Can you point to an interview (video or text) where he was doing more than offering a guideline? In November 2015 (just after HoT launched), they were vague, with no mention of anything cadence related.

As you can see, we have a full schedule of events planned out for 2015 already! But 2016 is right around the corner. When we return from the holiday break, I’ll be back with another state-of-the-game update to walk through our plans for the early part of next year—including details about what you can expect from the regular live cadence for Guild Wars 2 in 2016.

Even in May 2016, there was no indication of when a second expansion might launch. In fact, Living World S3 didn't start until July 2016.

In March 2016, O'Brien wrote:

The final thing you should know is that we’re working hard to avoid having a default assumption that “this thing will ship on this date,” or even, “this thing will ship,” and instead we’re proactively deciding to ship things when they’re done and polished and we’ve played them and love them

Archived