Please remove desert borderlands

Timelord.8190

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one seems to take an interest in desert bordlands, apparently not even the devs..as its still possible to jump into keeps by merely using skills, people consider this bug abusing, but is it really a bug if its been reported hundreds of times, even through videos and it does still not get fixed?Easiest fix..remove the entire bl ;) lets go bois

Dont get me wrong, its a nice map, can surely be used in a pve concept, maybe even a pvp 1v1 team concept one attacking side and one defending, after a certain time limit or when everything is capped a certain team wins or loses, this means that event in the middle could be brought back, barricades n everything that was previously deleted.both spawn waypoints would be owned by attackers allowing them to decide where to go, once keep flips waypoint will be instantly available. blabla just a random thought i came up with while waiting for my friggen dinner to be served, feel free to work this idea into something proper and point it out to the devs.

I don't like dessert because of the difference in difficulty, not that i find the terrain easy or i want everything to be easy for me but as a roamer you are really limited in WvW but even with that i'm able to solo keeps and towers which i like to do when i get the chance feels like i a'm doing something not just killing random guys in the map and capping camps, in desert i don't know if you can but i can't even solo a tower, but i have no problem with it staying do like me, just don't play the map at all

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Timelord.8190 said:This map is so bad that it is the last choice. The defenders advantage and travel distance is to big. No fun

Defenders advantage ? I rarely even see a tower at southside being t3 since its so easy to flip for attackers aswell,it goes both ways.

Probably means Fire and Air Keep with gliding in. Most people are too bad to understand that flipping their respective south camps completely ruins that strat, or at least delays it by a ton.

@NoctisLC.4571 said:I don't like dessert because of the difference in difficulty, not that i find the terrain easy or i want everything to be easy for me but as a roamer you are really limited in WvW but even with that i'm able to solo keeps and towers which i like to do when i get the chance feels like i a'm doing something not just killing random guys in the map and capping camps, in desert i don't know if you can but i can't even solo a tower, but i have no problem with it staying do like me, just don't play the map at allAll of the structures in DBL can be soloed. Back when all three maps were DBL and one server literally owned all 4 maps, I would get whispers from the enemy to come flip a tower or keep so they could get their daily. There's also been times when I was one of two people on our home DBL and I would race the other roamer down one side of the map to see who could solo flip their half of the map first.

@Shining One.1635 said:

@NoctisLC.4571 said:I don't like dessert because of the difference in difficulty, not that i find the terrain easy or i want everything to be easy for me but as a roamer you are really limited in WvW but even with that i'm able to solo keeps and towers which i like to do when i get the chance feels like i a'm doing something not just killing random guys in the map and capping camps, in desert i don't know if you can but i can't even solo a tower, but i have no problem with it staying do like me, just don't play the map at allAll of the structures in DBL can be soloed. Back when all three maps were DBL and one server literally owned all 4 maps, I would get whispers from the enemy to come flip a tower or keep so they could get their daily. There's also been times when I was one of two people on our home DBL and I would race the other roamer down one side of the map to see who could solo flip their half of the map first.

This is honestly half of why I play WvW hahahaFor real though, can the Crankshaft lord get a buff? He's pathetic. Slow, deals like 5k damage and then has to wind up an hour for the next attack you can just walk behind him for.

@"Timelord.8190" said:No mather how you look at it. It's the worst border land, since it is the least played one. It's not much oriented around fair battles. The death numbers is proof of that.

Other borders brings way more battles/loot, duo to the shorter travel distance and more fair terrain.

Red BL has only 6598 total deathsEB got 24387 total deathsBlue BL has 15634 total deathsGreen BL has 15517 total deaths

https://wvwintel.com/#2007

@"Zero.3871" said:

everyone get something he want.

Not if there is a que.

To be honest, my only complaint about desert is that people assume it's bad rather than look at the things that changed since introduction (like removal of barriers and that meta event that lagged the whole map) so nobody plays it except to ppt.

Strongly disagree.

Desert borderlands is better than Alpine in a lot of ways.

• it encourages groups to split up. Because the map is so large, it is inefficient for a huge zerg to be rolling together. Thus, you get smaller fights (5v5, 10v10, 20v20) instead of the usual 40+v40+ that is common on Alpine.
  • terrain is more diverse. You get dunes, hills, rocks, trees, cliffs, ruins, and fairly unique obstacles that you just don't find in alpine (except in the re-done center ruins, which is the best part of alpine). It makes for more varied fights with opportunities for strategic play (forcing chokes, LoS, altitude advantages) compared to the more flat and open alpine borderlands.
  • keeps and towers have enough room to fight in. On alpine, there's barely enough room to fit a fight inside a tower. On desert, each tower has plenty of space. Ditto for keeps.
  • You can't treb any keeps from inside towers like on alpine or ebg. This forces attackers to fight in open field rather than hiding in towers.
  • Both east and west keeps on desert have siege-safe open-field treb spots from the southern camps. This forces defenders to come fight rather than hiding in keeps.

I could go on, but I know most of the WvW population disagrees. Most of the WvW population just wants to zerg around and press 1 to collect bags. Some of us prefer smaller more interesting fights..

I see so many complaints about desert not being good for fights... but... have people really paid attention to most fights in the other bl's? hmmm let's see... spawn camp that group! or even more fun... stand and stare at each other while deciding who has the best position... run in then.. win or lose... reset and stare each other down some more... or even better, one group runs in and out of a tower or keep.. ya... that's better...

I run with fight groups a lot and finding decent fights ANYWHERE isn't easy... unless you're running in and out of SM like most people like to do... booooring...

@NoctisLC.4571 said:I don't like dessert because of the difference in difficulty, not that i find the terrain easy or i want everything to be easy for me but as a roamer you are really limited in WvW but even with that i'm able to solo keeps and towers which i like to do when i get the chance feels like i a'm doing something not just killing random guys in the map and capping camps, in desert i don't know if you can but i can't even solo a tower, but i have no problem with it staying do like me, just don't play the map at all

i do find the desertlords easier/faster to kill than alpine ones. what profession are you trying to solo them with?

@coro.3176 said:I could go on, but I know most of the WvW population disagrees. Most of the WvW population just wants to zerg around and press 1 to collect bags. Some of us prefer smaller more interesting fights..

Im a solo roamer and i hate desert map. playing warrior it takes forever for me to get where i want to go only to get ganked by a small group and then have to WP and start running all over again. No thanks i much prefer alpine and EBG as a solo roamer.

@enkidu.5937 said:desert borderlands aka why-do-I-have-to-go-west-and-then-east-when-I-want-to-go-north?Run up through the middle of the map :) there are plenty of ways without traveling the sides. With practice you learn all the different paths.

As for the map being to big as some stated, use the shrines if it’s your home bl. Garri has the earth shrine travel, air has the bird travel that flys you around, and fire has the fire tornados. Very quick travel then :)

@Calisanna.8732 said:

@"enkidu.5937" said:desert borderlands aka why-do-I-have-to-go-west-and-then-east-when-I-want-to-go-north?Run up through the middle of the map :) there are plenty of ways without traveling the sides. With practice you learn all the different paths.

As for the map being to big as some stated, use the shrines if it’s your home bl. Garri has the earth shrine travel, air has the bird travel that flys you around, and fire has the fire tornados. Very quick travel then :)If I want to flip those camps, I have to travel the sides, and leave out those shrines, to be sneaky. My main problem is "all the different paths" make it less likely to meet some enemies, which is good for staying undetected, but makes this map feel so empty, in the long run.

Big fighting grounds in keeps and towers are definitely a big plus imo, and all those serpentines could also give very interesting fighting grounds, IF you would meet some enemies, and IF they could not just glide away over all these canyons as they like.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Timelord.8190 said:This map is so bad that it is the last choice. The defenders advantage and travel distance is to big. No fun

Defenders advantage ? I rarely even see a tower at southside being t3 since its so easy to flip for attackers aswell,it goes both ways.

That could be because people chose to not defend anything on DBL purely cause they dislike the border.

@coro.3176 said:Strongly disagree.

Desert borderlands is better than Alpine in a lot of ways.

• it encourages groups to split up. Because the map is so large, it is inefficient for a huge zerg to be rolling together. Thus, you get smaller fights (5v5, 10v10, 20v20) instead of the usual 40+v40+ that is common on Alpine.
  • terrain is more diverse. You get dunes, hills, rocks, trees, cliffs, ruins, and fairly unique obstacles that you just don't find in alpine (except in the re-done center ruins, which is the best part of alpine). It makes for more varied fights with opportunities for strategic play (forcing chokes, LoS, altitude advantages) compared to the more flat and open alpine borderlands.
  • keeps and towers have enough room to fight in. On alpine, there's barely enough room to fit a fight inside a tower. On desert, each tower has plenty of space. Ditto for keeps.
  • You can't treb any keeps from inside towers like on alpine or ebg. This forces attackers to fight in open field rather than hiding in towers.
  • Both east and west keeps on desert have siege-safe open-field treb spots from the southern camps. This forces defenders to come fight rather than hiding in keeps.

I could go on, but I know most of the WvW population disagrees. Most of the WvW population just wants to zerg around and press 1 to collect bags. Some of us prefer smaller more interesting fights..

I strongly disagree.It does the opposite of encourge groups to split up if you ask me. The larger number have higher success rate. They can take advantage of the AoE cap, carry more supplies, which often isn't enough with smaller groups because of supply traps and cows that drains their supply.

Offensive trebs is from far away got the worst DPS of all the siege cause damage doesen't scale with the shooting distance and they don't even need to come to you.A small group can spend hours just by trebbing a T3 wall down. The defenders can just build shield generators, and run supply to repair. They can stay at inner wall and defend with keep aura together with all their siege. They don't need to come.

@coro.3176 said:

• Both east and west keeps on desert have siege-safe open-field treb spots from the southern camps. This forces defenders to come fight rather than hiding in keeps.Regardless of whether one agree or disagree on the viability of DBL, those two are fluff statements.

Sure you can siege from within a tower/keep - thats what makes people want to secure the objective, ie the reason for even playing WvW. It forces defenders to come out and attack rather than hiding in keeps. And the attacker and defender will still have to fight open field at some point, you cant magically take a keep by safely downing outer. Unless the defender choose to bunker and never engage. You said something about attackers? Hm.

The second point is moot. You can do that literally anywhere on EBG, ABL and DBL. Only reason people dont is because trebs are hella expensive and ineffective against fortified structures.

Archived