Thank you to Roms_hut on twitch

LaFurion.3167

Just want to say a huge thank you for hosting 2v2 tournament today. Currently watching it as I am typing this.

It is such a breath of fresh air to conquest and wvw zerging/hoping to duel without getting mobbed.

Some of you might know that I have been begging for 2v2/3v3 arena in this amazing game for a while, and seeing Anet and players take small baby steps in that direction is so exciting! There are obviously balance issues, but the stream has quite a few viewers and is very entertaining to watch the 2v2 fights.

I like 1) the short timer on the "dampening" effect. 2 min and no healing + gas makes for quick, intense games that are enjoyable to watch without getting boring. 2) the amount of variety of compositions, even in just a 2v2 format, that gw2 can produce. SO many different builds!

I dislike the size and general layout of the 2 arena maps though. The asura one is a bit iffy, bit small and also the ramp/roof thing in the middle seems.... odd. The long map is just aids, but thats just me. But still hugely excited for this to be happening! :D

MORE GAME MODES!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO

@Farkon.2170 said:I know I would que up for a 2v2 if there was an option for it.

Yes its very very sad that they havn't implemented this. literally EVERYBODY has arms open wide for an arena QUEUE, not an out of the way custom match not even in the rotation... zz...

it is my dream that gw2 has a structured 2v2/3v3 arena map in which gear actually matters, it would be the end game of all end game for pvp XD..... sigh....

in the mean time this tournament hosted by roms_hut will do.

I only watched it off and on, but there were some really awesome plays in a couple of the games I watched. No restrictions turned out to be more fun than I had expected. Rom as always did a wonderful job hosting it and is a great asset to the community. These tourneys are things I will most likely never participate in, but I do really enjoy watching them.

@Ziggityzog.7389 said:What were the last 4 comps in the 2v2 tourny?

I would play 2v2 and quit my 4 years of just stronghold if deathmatch got the que option it needs. Hell there are 3 maps with courtyard and the 2 2v2 maps.

Let's have 3 que options! Options bring people. Same old circlequest is zzz ZZZ zzz

Exactly. 2v2, and possibly class stacking banned 3v3 queue would be amazing. WoW arena was super fun for YEARS with the same 4 maps for the majority of the time, its only recently in which they've started adding maps at a faster pace.

All i know was the finals was thief mesmer vs firebrand scourge, and the thief mesmer team won. VERY cool to see them recognize their win condition and kite for 2 minutes until gas + healing reduction then go in and kill the scourge, after dropping the first match. It was 2-2 tie, then the mesmer pulled out a clutch distortion stomp, was sooooo intense.

Firebrand scourge seems to be quite strong yes, but i HONESTLY believe this is only because of people thinking/playing with the meta in mind. I am absolutely certain that there is a fb/scourge killer comp (probably more than just 1 actually) that people havn't thought about. Perhaps some form of double chrono moa shatter thing, or deadeye backstab full zerker, who knows. If we have a queue button and a ranked system in place, it will bring so many players into it and meta will be fluid. But yes, the fb/scourge actually lost.

@LaFurion.3167

The thing is and everyone knows it inside is that if 2v2 que were released then all the wasted time on circlequest maps will be wasted because no one will ever play conquest again. Maybe 250 playing 250 but that's it lol.

A real game mode like a correctly done team death match with a que would ruin all work on circlequest maps. Hince we will never get a que even tho that's what the community wants. If there is a team que then it's a signal they finally gave up on circlequest. So again it will never happen sadly.

@Ziggityzog.7389 said:@LaFurion.3167

The thing is and everyone knows it inside is that if 2v2 que were released then all the wasted time on circlequest maps will be wasted because no one will ever play conquest again. Maybe 250 playing 250 but that's it lol.

A real game mode like a correctly done team death match with a que would ruin all work on circlequest maps. Hince we will never get a que even tho that's what the community wants. If there is a team que then it's a signal they finally gave up on circlequest. So again it will never happen sadly.

But so many people would come to gw2 for the amazing arena experience.. gw2 has the best combat system of any mmo, its so fluid and satisfying. Who cares if a 2v2/3v3 arena queue kills conquest? Matchmaking has been absolutely terrible to deal with in conquest for 6 full long years. 3v3 would be easier to do matchmaking, and be SO fun. Would bring in way more players than it takes from conquest.

@LaFurion.3167 said:

But so many people would come to gw2 for the amazing arena experience.. gw2 has the best combat system of any mmo, its so fluid and satisfying. Who cares if a 2v2/3v3 arena queue kills conquest? Matchmaking has been absolutely terrible to deal with in conquest for 6 full long years. 3v3 would be easier to do matchmaking, and be SO fun. Would bring in way more players than it takes from conquest.

it's actually even better. if 2v2 became the mainstream pvp in gw2 it would also solve another issue ontop of potentially bringing more players. basically, queue times would be cut down considerably and that means the MM algorithm could pair you up against players much closer to your level.

right now the problem with MM is the there isn't enough players in platinum. that's because you need 5 people per team. but if you shrink teamsizes to 2 then it's much easier for MM to make better pairs.

@Gaberen.4325 said:

@LaFurion.3167 said:I hope the 2v2 tournaments are a success and we get a 2v2 non stop round the clock ladder that leads to a 3v3 mode. And EVENTUALLY arenas where gear matters.

Gear should never matter in pvp, skill should.

I totally understand this, but at the same time, having a mode that is like small scale wvw fights would be amazing. I'm all for a 2v2/3v3 with spvp rules in place but one can still dream of gear mattering and stuff. After all once you have ascended weapons and trinkets its basically the same anyways.

@LaFurion.3167 said:

@LaFurion.3167 said:I hope the 2v2 tournaments are a success and we get a 2v2 non stop round the clock ladder that leads to a 3v3 mode. And EVENTUALLY arenas where gear matters.

Gear should never matter in pvp, skill should.

I totally understand this, but at the same time, having a mode that is like small scale wvw fights would be amazing. I'm all for a 2v2/3v3 with spvp rules in place but one can still dream of gear mattering and stuff. After all once you have ascended weapons and trinkets its basically the same anyways.

Not everyone bothers getting ascended/Legendary stuffs. Making Gear irrelevant is still the best balancing approach to sPvP to this day.

Archived