Where does Thief stand? Overview Question for returning player

Outt.6413

Hey guys! Been a few years but thinking about popping back into GW2. I lasted played during some HoT and such, but originally had started in the Beta.

Just curious of a general overview of how Thief is in PvE, PvP, WvW - what specs are best for what? I guess I'm just asking what the current Meta is, as well as what Daredevil brought and what's changed with PoF. I'll hop in and play around but a good starting point idea of what's changed, what's strong, or a direction would be awesome.

Thanks!

In fractals thief is decent, daredevil better imo, on raids thief has top dps atm with som strange rifle build, but outside of dps and Basi venom it doesnt offer to much.In pvp and wvw, if u want to cause cancer to ur opponents go deadeye, in case u die ppl can jump on you, or throw some blueprints. For some reason.Core thief and daredevil are strong and weak at the same time. If u suck, than u suck rly hard, if ur God than ur God.

If he has a Shortbow, a thief stands more or less wherever he wants. ^_^

Now talking seriously, thief is a very strong profession that needs to be played right. If you play it right, you'll be a damn beast, if not you'll be that guy in the group that spends more time being ressed than doing his job (reason why a cringe when i see a thief or a ele join my pugs, it's very hit or miss).

@Outt.6413 said:So they usually have a place in PvE though? Or are they pushed out for classes that can provide more utility + similar DPS?

This question was already answered.

@Safandula.8723 said:In fractals thief is decent, daredevil better imo, on raids thief has top dps atm with som strange rifle build, but outside of dps and Basi venom it doesnt offer to much.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Outt.6413 said:So they usually have a place in PvE though? Or are they pushed out for classes that can provide more utility + similar DPS?

fractals
thief is decent, daredevil better imo, on
raids
thief has top dps atm with som strange rifle build, but outside of dps and Basi venom it doesnt offer to much.

That wasn't really my question though.

I understand they're top DPS, but just because they're DPS doesn't mean they're sought after. I wasn't sure if there are classes that provide a bit less DPS but much more utility and are more looked at to include, even if the DPS isn't as high.

I guess a better was to rephrase it - Do Thieves have trouble getting a spot or is a group actively looking to include a Thief in PvE content?

Apologies if it came of as redundant. I have an 80 Thief that I've mained since Beta, but also used an 80 boost on an Ele a long time ago, and I think maybe a Guardian. I guess I'm just trying to see if it's worth investing time into my Thief again - who doesn't have any Ascendant gear, but is more geared than the others - or if I'd struggle to get into groups for anything. Thank you.

It rly depends on boss, but usually thiefs are welcome in raids. On fotms they are decent as said. In 100 KP groups ppl prefer meta builds but still doing good.Aś power thief i never had problems with raid groups but for desmina, largos or matthias i rerolled to mirageFor example daredevil staff is great on sloth due to cleave, reflect and stolen ability. DE are gr8 for quadim kiting, cuz u can literally afk without a chance to fail(unless u Fall asleep). Or can open doors to samarog(i never did samarog without a thief in team) as told, some bossea give cc on stolen ability which added with Basi make them cc machine. (samarog, quadim, and some others)

@Outt.6413 said:

fractals
thief is decent, daredevil better imo, on
raids
thief has top dps atm with som strange rifle build, but outside of dps and Basi venom it doesnt offer to much.

That wasn't really my question though.

I understand they're top DPS, but just because they're DPS doesn't mean they're sought after. I wasn't sure if there are classes that provide a bit less DPS but much more utility and are more looked at to include, even if the DPS isn't as high.

I guess a better was to rephrase it - Do Thieves have trouble getting a spot or is a group actively looking to include a Thief in PvE content?

Apologies if it came of as redundant. I have an 80 Thief that I've mained since Beta, but also used an 80 boost on an Ele a long time ago, and I think maybe a Guardian. I guess I'm just trying to see if it's worth investing time into my Thief again - who doesn't have any Ascendant gear, but is more geared than the others - or if I'd struggle to get into groups for anything. Thank you.

It really depends on the goal of the group. Fractal Speed Runners, for example, do not want Thieves.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived