"Salvage All" Slower With The Recent Rune/Sigil Update?

Alimar.8760

I've noticed recently with bulk salvaging that when watching the items salvaged, it takes much more time, easily twice as long or three times to salvage a large amount of gear. The best way to describe this is that it starts and stops fairly regularly. Salvages 7-8 items, then pauses, then continues to salvage another 7-8, then pauses again. As one who has done a lot of bulk salvaging of items in places like Istan and Silverwastes I can't help but notice that it feels slower.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think this is caused by the recent rune updates to the game?

The only thing I can think of outside of doing more salvaging to test this out, is that the salvaging pauses when the chance for salvaging the rune/sigil was hit and it has to salvage the rune on the armor.

I salvaged thousands of unid bags before and after and I can say there is a noticeable difference since the rune/sigil revamp. Im not sure how much longer its taking but I can get at least 2 pops of the candy corn gobbler per half stack of salvage whereas previously I could only get one off and have to wait for the cooldown.

@anonymous.7812 said:Yes, and it's probably also something to do with Trading Post orders taking forever since that patch. Something is really slowing some server actions since that patch.

The tp thing is the more annoying of the two to me. Mass salvaging isn't really slow, it's just slower than it used to be so it seems slow by comparison. It's still over relatively quickly. But the tp thing is a killer bc you're ready to list another thing but the server hasn't caught up to the last thing you listed yet, an actual rather than virtual annoyance :p

This is pure conjecture, but I think they slowed this process down because the mass salvaging of stacks of Runes/Sigils by scores of characters in close proximity was leading to the crashing we experienced when the patch dropped.

I feel like the new process relieves stress on their servers, and is intended, but who knows. Maybe it is a bug.

Also, TP side, the slow down MAY be intended to address scripted bot trading. Or, it is also a bug...

@"anonymous.7812" said:Yes, and it's probably also something to do with Trading Post orders taking forever since that patch. Something is really slowing some server actions since that patch.

More likely due to it salvaging each item "twice", once for the item, once for the upgrade inside.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"anonymous.7812" said:Yes, and it's probably also something to do with Trading Post orders taking forever since that patch. Something is really slowing some server actions since that patch.

More likely due to it salvaging each item "twice", once for the item, once for the upgrade inside.

The vast majority of gear being salvaged is blues and greens with a copper-fed salvage-o-matic or equivalent, which has a 5% chance to drop a rune or sigil, and hence a 5% chance for an additional salvaging process. Which means there is now 5% more salvaging going on than before, not twice as much as the times would imply. Or at least that's the theory. It all depends on how exactly the salvaging of upgrades in gear is coded, but the mere amount of additional upgrade salvaging that is going on is insufficient to explain the slowdown.

@anonymous.7812 said:Yes, and it's probably also something to do with Trading Post orders taking forever since that patch. Something is really slowing some server actions since that patch.

This TP thing indeed is annoying. Especially in mornings (European time) it has been working very slow lately.

Good thing is that at least I know now that it's not just me!

@Gudy.3607 said:

The vast majority of gear being salvaged is blues and greens with a copper-fed salvage-o-matic or equivalent, which has a 5% chance to drop a rune or sigil, and hence a 5% chance for an additional salvaging process. Which means there is now 5% more salvaging going on than before, not twice as much as the times would imply. Or at least that's the theory. It all depends on how exactly the salvaging of upgrades in gear is coded, but the mere amount of additional upgrade salvaging that is going on is insufficient to explain the slowdown.

Not really, it needs to parse the data 2x instead of once.

@"Julius Seizure.4985" said:This is pure conjecture, but I think they slowed this process down because the mass salvaging of stacks of Runes/Sigils by scores of characters in close proximity was leading to the crashing we experienced when the patch dropped.Nope, it was slow from the beginning, started just after the patch. Personally i suspect the added "second salvage" check to be the cause of this. Basically, before the system salvaged the gear. Now it salvages the gear, and if there was any upgrade "extracted" it salvages it as well on the second pass. And that second pass is where probably the slowdown comes from.Yes, there's a low chance to salvage upgrades on most salvage kits, but i think the second pass happens regardless of whethere there's something to salvage. At the very least, the slowdown doesn't seem to happen on black lion kits.

@Gudy.3607 said:

Copper is 20% not 5% but as it turns out this is irrelevant.

This is easily tested by salvaging a stack of salvage items like Discarded Garment which have no other components to salvage. Just eyeballing it the rate seems to be about 1 or 2 seconds per item. Will get another stack and timer to check later.

Edit: ah this is why it is always to get actual numbers ... 25s for 250 Discard Garments so that is .1 second per item

@Khisanth.2948 said:

This is easily tested by salvaging a stack of salvage items like Discarded Garment which have no other components to salvage. Just eyeballing it the rate seems to be about 1 or 2 seconds per item. Will get another stack and timer to check later.

Edit: ah this is why it is always to get actual numbers ... 25s for 250 Discard Garments so that is .1 second per item

There actually seem to be 2 salvage processes going on, one for the upgrade, if the gear has one slotted, one for the gear itself:

If you salvage gear with slotted runes or sigils now, it first salvages lucent motes/symbols/charms from the upgrade, those are placed in your inventory (before the gear actually leaves your inventory) then the gear itself is salvaged for common mats/luck/ectos etc.

@Wanze.8410 said:

There actually seem to be 2 salvage processes going on, one for the upgrade, if the gear has one slotted, one for the gear itself:

If you salvage gear with slotted runes or sigils now, it first salvages lucent motes/symbols/charms from the upgrade, those are placed in your inventory (before the gear actually leaves your inventory) then the gear itself is salvaged for common mats/luck/ectos etc.

The point is that it is slow even for items without any upgrades.

I experience the much slower salvaging as well, so I am glad that this thread was created so I know that it is not something on my end causing it and it is a game-wide issue. However, your comment also helped me to realize that the extremely slow "stalling" behavior of the TP I have been experiencing since the rune/sigil update is also not on my end. Thank you for mentioning this as I was wasting so much time trying different traceroutes and adjusting different router and firewall/security settings to see if anything would help tell me what was going on.

Sometimes I can get 2 or 3 items sold or pages loaded and then it stalls out for 8-10 seconds and finally loads, though I then need to go back out and back in to areas due to the broken nature of the TP not updating with what I clicked - e.g. click on current transactions, click on selling, but it stalled out and finally loads all of my buying and selling so I need to unclick selling and let it stall out again and then finally load and then click on selling again and wait for it once again to finally load only the items I am selling. ugh... I've never liked the unfinished TP redesign, and poorly thought-out aspects are only highlighted more when there is the slightest issue with server or client lag. :\

Archived