World Restructuring Update 2

Raymond Lukes.6305

On 5/1/2021 at 5:49 AM, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

also, how about #cutthelinks for all servers. the link system sucks.

Yeah, it does, but I'm pretty sure it was mainly implemented to reduce stress on the outdated server system, so doing away with it may involve a result that you wouldn't like as far as game latency goes.

@DeLys.5380 care to specify how u mean that? the stress on the servers was yet flattened out by reducing target caps a lot for many AoE skills, as well as limiting player numbers per cap way more than it was before link system. i see absolutely not what links have to do with stress on servers?

and skilllag on reset days is still existing.sometimes better, sometimes worse.

*pops back in to drop more ascended food Buffett and banners* 

I’m thinking there’ll be legendary food before we hear of alliances again.  But hey, at least we have ascended emotes to spam at people in WvW now.  /playdead game mode 

#allianceswhen #communicationwhen 

• Like 1

Hi All! 

Sorry if my English is bad o/

I had an idea to revitalize the WvW a bit.  After a year p^playing WvW, i can say T1 and T5 arethe most boring places in this game (thanks to the "bandwagons" who are responsible for the lack of fun in these divisions). There, servers are doomed for two months to get stuck and get run over by the same enemies over and over again, which is very demoralizing and forces many players to stop playing or to lose mu to escape from T1... it's kinda sad 😞

Anet seems resigned to keeping the same number of servers, so I imagined the following system for more diversity:

https://imgur.com/3vfydKQ

T1, T2, T3, T4 and T5 become T1 - T2A & T2B - T3A & T3B

Every server finished 1st are promoted and every 3rd retrograde, no change here.

T1: 2nd and 3rd go down -> 2nd go T2A and 3rd to T2B.

T2&T3: 2nd swap to the other division A<->B

Like that, every server will see 2 new opponents every week.

I know this idea is totally useless. I'm just thinking it was a funny one and curious about your opinion 🙂

see, they could mix up a lot of things. as u realized, t1 and t5 are both a bit pointless tiers with stale mechanics, who affect further the other tiers as well.

it would be even possible to just randomize matchups and even randomizing links every week. that way everything would be chaotic enough so people would not hop servers all the time. however, it could lead to a longer time stacking again

we even had triple-links and no t5 in the past time. overall, current system is the worst possible. they have to change something, nobody can say what it will be or if it will even happen.

best would likely some kind of Alliances, but that looks not too close #allianceswhen

unlinking all + merging servers + flattening population + making EotM a real map would be a thing as well.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, Aduin.2307 said:

Hi All! 

Sorry if my English is bad o/

I had an idea to revitalize the WvW a bit.  After a year p^playing WvW, i can say T1 and T5 arethe most boring places in this game (thanks to the "bandwagons" who are responsible for the lack of fun in these divisions). There, servers are doomed for two months to get stuck and get run over by the same enemies over and over again, which is very demoralizing and forces many players to stop playing or to lose mu to escape from T1... it's kinda sad 😞

Anet seems resigned to keeping the same number of servers, so I imagined the following system for more diversity:

https://imgur.com/3vfydKQ

T1, T2, T3, T4 and T5 become T1 - T2A & T2B - T3A & T3B

Every server finished 1st are promoted and every 3rd retrograde, no change here.

T1: 2nd and 3rd go down -> 2nd go T2A and 3rd to T2B.

T2&T3: 2nd swap to the other division A<->B

Like that, every server will see 2 new opponents every week.

I know this idea is totally useless. I'm just thinking it was a funny one and curious about your opinion 🙂

Doesn't that just work out to be t2 and t3 first place go to t1?

Why would you jump the t3 server straight to t1? and now potentially you dump two stacked t1 servers back to t2 and t3?

I don't know the eu situation, but is there not a big difference between t1 to t2 and t3 servers?

At this point I think they should just get rid of this tier stuff and just put in static matches with permanent conditions on them, like one campaign(lets say t1) has bonus ppt points on everything, another campaign(lets say t2) has bonus ppk points, another campaign(lets say t3) has bonus stats on objectives, another campaign(lets say t4) has tactivators all disabled permanently, throw in another gimmick campaign(lets say t5) has stealth reveal on permanently (the pve people will probably end up here).

Then just let players pick wherever they want to go. Like how they do it in eso letting players pick cp or none cp campaigns type of thing, then give bonuses for the length of time a person stays in a league, like if they stayed on one server for a month and finished gold skirmish track every week then they get a random ascended box(which going by wvw standards will be a ring most likely lol) or something.

I think alliances are dead in the water and wouldn't solve much anyways at this point, with a points system that would be somehow manipulated by players eventually with transfers still around, so tournaments would still be pointless to have.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let it go, guys.

When Raymond Lukes posted this (almost 3 years ago) he was still working for A.Net as a Gameplay Programmer.

However, a quick look at his LinkedIn shows that he has since moved on to another position as Lead Software Engineer and coincidentally also hasn't posted a single time in these forums ever since.

Save to say: These ideas were a side-project that has been shelved long ago and nobody in this company has ever picked it up again.

This is how companies work. Sometimes you have great ideas but then people leave or move to other departments and then these ideas simply die.

• Like 1

Ok, So here is way for you all to look at this alliance thing. Have you ever had a relationship where they broke up with you but you didn't know it? You just kept calling but they never called you back? It was like they never gave an explanation or anything, just sort of moved on.  First of all if you have, I'm sorry and as the saying goes, there are more fish in the sea. If you haven't then cool. So... Alliances have broken up with all of us, but they just haven't told us. Yep, we all need to move on and let it go. We can still find happiness. Therapy begins tonight after reset 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy.6029 said:

Ok, So here is way for you all to look at this alliance thing. Have you ever had a relationship where they broke up with you but you didn't know it? You just kept calling but they never called you back? It was like they never gave an explanation or anything, just sort of moved on.  First of all if you have, I'm sorry and as the saying goes, there are more fish in the sea. If you haven't then cool. So... Alliances have broken up with all of us, but they just haven't told us. Yep, we all need to move on and let it go. We can still find happiness. Therapy begins tonight after reset 🙂

Yes, and several years later I can confidently say I am 85% over her, progress can be made! I was never a fan of the alliance concept, but nowadays I am a very casual player with limited playtime so I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. I do think they abandoned the idea with the lack of any updates or communication for so long. Another theory is that they shifted all resources towards work on the expansion so alliances might still be worked on but wont be implemented until well after the expansion.