Cape Requests [merged]

So, forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but:

With things like the Banners of Dynastic Reckoning in the game, how long until we can see the ability to get/craft/etc something similar with our guild emblem on it. Given how cape like it already is, I'd much rather prefer something like that than the current banner/flag thing that juts out from the back.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

@Randulf.7614 said:

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

It 'seems' reasonable, but the tech is apparently different. (My guess is that banners are simpler because they don't touch the character or armor.) I don't have the quote handy, so I'll see if I can find it later.

As I posted afterward, I think if people want more banners, they can do that.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Exactly. I am wearing one on my toon rn. I just want the same thing with an artwork change that puts my guild emblem on it instead.

• 5 months later...

@Vector.6731 said:I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

what they need to do it fix issues and not add more needless features until those issues are fixed. By the way if they did add this they will simply sell it not make it available freely in game.

Capes and cloaks are just your opinion and a desire you have but not needed.

For me I would not use and I don't want to see them but that is just my OPINION.

I've seen videos of GW1 and the capes. They look horrible - they don't move naturally and it adds nothing to the game or the character. Why are people so ga-ga over capes? I'd rather the developers spend their time and money balancing the game, porting to a more recent DX, etc.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@"Hylox.9746" said:the closest thing to a cape we have in game is the back piece "Banners of Ancient Elona" you get it from doing PoF story i think

Problem is that it's not dyeable and it also has that ridiculous coat hanger.

Would like to have capes on my warriors though, like the Spartans!

None of the back items are dyable, so I doubt capes would be.

I personally don't need capes. I chose the skins on my toon because I liked them, so there's no point for me covering it up with a rug. But more options are always better, so sure, give the cape-ppl their capes.

@lokh.2695 said:

@"Hylox.9746" said:the closest thing to a cape we have in game is the back piece "Banners of Ancient Elona" you get it from doing PoF story i think

None of the back items are dyable, so I doubt capes would be.

I personally don't need capes. I chose the skins on my toon because I liked them, so there's no point for me covering it up with a rug. But more options are always better, so sure, give the cape-ppl their capes.

Oh I know about no dye on back item's - was the same on gw1, and absolutely about the back item's. In fact the first ascended item I ever crafted was quiver of a thousand arrows and the same original back item is on my thief after nearly 5 years. Just that a lot of back item's are pretty silly like, who is going to carry a wooden shelf wrack on their backs with postions inside of it.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

the coat hanger goes quite well with the awakened zealot outfit and desert king weapon skins... i love the Egyptian themed skins we got since PoF!

@dynomite.5834 said:I've seen videos of GW1 and the capes. They look horrible - they don't move naturally and it adds nothing to the game or the character. Why are people so ga-ga over capes? I'd rather the developers spend their time and money balancing the game, porting to a more recent DX, etc.

Guild Emblem, and the fact it was the only back piece that existed in the game. I think the bigger reason is that we have no good looking guild banner accessory in this game. Every one so far have been flags sticking out of our backs, which looks awkward when outside of WvW, while most people want something more low key and casual. The purpose of the banners in open field warfare was to help identify soldier formations to Commanders and artillery (so you don't shoot at your own people).... so them being big and visible from a distance made sense. Capes, cloaks and scraps of cloth are much easier for ceremonial outfits, and can be either prominent or subdued based on how its designed.

@jbrother.1340 said:

@Vector.6731 said:I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

what they need to do it fix issues and not add more needless features until those issues are fixed. By the way if they did add this they will simply sell it not make it available freely in game.

Capes and cloaks are just your opinion and a desire you have but not needed.

For me I would not use and I don't want to see them but that is just my OPINION.

Opinions are great -- Like i said its not for everyone -- however if we wait for the issues to be fixed --> we will be old and gray and i would like to see it them before it happens =) thanks for replying ;)

@"Vector.6731" said:I know -- I know its been discussed before... but really ? This game needs it.. Peeps that do not want it -- don't wear it !!! Those that do like me and a thousand other peeps --- at least give us a CHOICE !!!

not sure where your "a thousand other peeps" came from, i'm assuming the thousands of newly joined players?

we already have them in-game, they are merged into the some of the armor arts already

as someone who comes from project management background, your request to have it as a new item type will be in the W(ill not implement) category base on MoSCoW prioritisation

WvW Alliance will be anet's top priority in the months to come, and it's probably the most hyped side content in years since raidand it's pretty much a make or break for WvW, because there's no going back