I'm struggling to enjoy this game

EpicName.4523

• 4 months later...

I agree, despite the wow compare. Gw2 is its own league and would be unwise to compare it like you would compare WoW to Tera or Tera to DCUO or SWTOR to WoW, rinse and repeat with as many combos as you want. But comparing Gw2 to WoW is like comparing GTA-5 to Driver. Same concept but different algorithm. I've sinked thousands of hours into almost every MMORPG thats released, Proper end game core content. And i too find Gw2 to be one of the least enjoyable MMORPG games i have played but that is because like you, i have that demon on my shoulder comparing every crack in the surface to WoW. I've owned gw2 since it's BETA and release and i have maybe 230 hours game time, the least amount in any MMO I've played. Only now am i giving it a proper chance, but for now most of my opinions lay as yours, i do not find WvW enjoyable, far to much going on and i just feel like its a battle ground with 40v40 mages casting frost AOE with no real skill base behind it, but that's just my ignorance. I too went to do a raid, instead of my normal 12-17 button rotation for maximum DPS I'm left with 5 moves and 5 buffs and so forth, slap and go. But it's refreshing at the same time, I'm not 17 living at my mums anymore. No more hardcore 25 man raid thursday and friday night with the guild and IRL mates. I'm 28 now, a dad of 2 and soon to be husband, GW2 offers me a relaxing welcoming content experience without demanding i sit for 8 hours straight listening to the raid leader talk smeg about my mum because the heals can't keep up and the top DPS needs to go to bed while the tank who's only 13 years of age with a higher Gearscore then me went AFK 45 minutes ago and all I've got to show at the end of the night is a ring i already have and a pair of the best boots that will be useless because another expansion is knocking at the door. If you somehow bothered to read any of this or in that matter 2021, erase the thought of WoW, it's nostalgia that sticks to our brain. We've lost how many streamers to the game? R.I.P, what few are left are streaming other games. I say to myself if the game was that good, I'd still be playing, which I'm not. So it can't be. I doubt any of this was useful but allowed me to vent a little. 

World of Warcraft has 2 endings

PvP/PvE

Guildwars 2 has so much variety to offer that people with 366 probably speak 6 languages fluently. 

Edited by lukeboppers.4830
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, EpicName.4523 said:

Convince me to give some aspect of the game a second try?

Without having read through the entire thread to see if my opinions are just echoes, I'll take a shot at convincing you. 

I was huge fan of GW1 and started GW2 during the pre-order head start back in 2012.  I didn't initially care for the game either, to be honest.  I had some fun level alts through the first thirty levels of their personal stories, but once the vanilla GW2 story converges at level 30, the quality dropped and I stopped enjoying it. 

I probably would've quit the game back then were it not for WvW.  GW2 has a ridiculously good combat system for an MMORPG, but its completely wasted on the throw-away mobs in open world pve. 

You mentioned that you gave WvW a try and didn't enjoy it, so I'll try to explain why I love it so much in hopes that you can approach it from a different perspective.  I don't get any sense of satisfaction out of large scale zerg fights (even if its an organized group), but I really like that zergs are a thing (I'll expand on that later).  I don't view it as a pvp match, either; I don't care at all which server wins at the end of the week.  To me, WvW is just a series of open world maps with pvp enabled.  The objectives that players can capture are there to facilitate fights and give you something to do in between fights, but I don't really care if my server owns them and I actually prefer to play on one of the "losing" teams.   The beauty of WvW is that its unstructured and you can play however you want.  Most of the time, I just roam around alpine borderland in a big circle by myself, capturing guard posts and camps while I look for other solo roamers or small groups to fight. 

When I first started back in 2012, I was terrible at pvp in this game.  I would lose about half of the 1v1s, and if I came across a group of 2 or more players it was basically a guarantee that I was going to die.  I still remember "the moment" that hooked me.  I was roaming around alpine borderland alone on my Mesmer and came across a camp that an allied Ranger was taking.  I joined him in taking the camp and we both continued on in the same direction.  An enemy Mesmer spotted us and engaged.  In my mind I was thinking "Why would he even bother, there's no way he can fight us both".  That Mesmer stomped us into the dirt with a Staff Sword/Pistol power shatter build (it was a thing back then).  I was in awe of how good he was and made a point from then on to literally take any and every fight against groups with less than 5 players.  I made alts of every class in the game and played them in spvp to get an understanding of what their abilities do and how they operate.  I ended up improving dramatically in a rather short period of time.  Back in those days, you would basically fight against the same servers every single week, and eventually I came across that same Mesmer that had stomped me a few months prior at the old south-camp windmill dueling spot.  I felt vindicated when I beat him.

As I continued to play, I met other roamers and ended up joining a guild.  I still spent a lot of time solo roaming, but I was amazed at what a small group of players could actually accomplish.  Larger groups of about 20 players were no longer to be avoided.  A group of five players with proper coordination and build synergy could (and still can) wipe the floor with uncoordinated PUG zergs.

WvW is my home in Guild Wars 2, but I do enjoy other aspects of the game.  After I had improved as a player, spvp became a lot more fun to me, but I much prefer WvW as a game-mode.  I get way too competitive in ranked pvp and being at the mercy of random team-mates takes a huge mental toll on me.  I have a 64% win-rate in ranked, but that's likely because I can only tolerate about 15 to 20 games per season, so most of the time I'm in placement matches which are easier to dominate.

On the pve side of things, I'm a huge fan of Fractal CM+T4 runs.  It gives me a chance to try out builds I would never use in pvp/wvw and Fractals actually make good use of the combat system while rewarding you with an absurd amount of gold and ascended gear over time.  I've done a few raid encounters, but with more players it feels like your personal skill is less important and I've never been a fan of that.  Concerning the story releases, the quality picked up considerably after Heart of Thorns, and I really like when GW1 lore has a larger presence in GW2.  There are also some fun quest-lines accessible through the achievement panel, and I enjoy the "scavenger hunt" format that sends you all over Tyria to various jumping puzzles and mini-dungeons.  There's actually a lot of hidden depth to the vanilla maps. 

On 3/4/2020 at 8:59 PM, Dante.1508 said:

Totally agree op.. I moved onto Star wars the old republic, its a lot more casual and forgiving game.. and you can enjoy it solo, plus star wars...

That said this game expansions were not my cup of tea after core tyria was so fun.. and sadly the details that future maps will be like WVW in pve made me quit GW2 completely..

Okay, so pretty funny watching a bunch of people respond to a two year old post about not liking the game.

But, even better to see your post here a year later. So, how'd SW:tOR work out for you? I assume since you still post here frequently, it wasn't all that?

• Haha 3