Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Unable to join other squad members/Map Instances.


Dante.1763

Recommended Posts

So i ran into an odd situation today where i wasnt able to join the squad members i was a part of(picture below shows what i mean, the button is just gone.)

AXdfkuw.jpg

Prior to that image being taken, the commander and a few others left the map to do something and when they came back they got thrown into separate instances, despite being in a squad.

According to a few of the players in the squad it started happening last night and has continued to today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like a problem with the authentication server. The instances run off various virtual servers; the checking of character names & guild memberships etc takes places separately. That allows us ANet to restart the authentication server without kicking us out of existing instances.

If I'm correct, symptoms include:

  • Slow or inaccessible chat, including /whisper, /party, /guild, etc
  • Guild names missing from the guild panel
  • Trouble interacting with guild services, including g-bank or g-mish interface etc
  • Names missing/reappearing on friends list
  • Your name disappearing from other people's lists.
  • "Join in [zone]" interface disappearing.

Often this sort of thing will fix itself. However, I've heard some people suffering this over the last few days (never for very long, tho). So I'm inclined to think they might want to consider whether to restart services or reboot the relevant servers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Sounds like a problem with the authentication server. The instances run off various virtual servers; the checking of character names & guild memberships etc takes places separately. That allows us ANet to restart the authentication server without kicking us out of existing instances.

If I'm correct, symptoms include:

  • Slow or inaccessible chat, including /whisper, /party, /guild, etc
  • Guild names missing from the guild panel
  • Trouble interacting with guild services, including g-bank or g-mish interface etc
  • Names missing/reappearing on friends list
  • Your name disappearing from other people's lists.
  • "Join in [zone]" interface disappearing.

Often this sort of thing will fix itself. However, I've heard some people suffering this over the last few days (never for very long, tho). So I'm inclined to think they might want to consider whether to restart services or reboot the relevant servers.

Ive experienced all of those things without ever having this particular issue appear, on top of that ive never gotten the popup that appears with the rest of those errors with this one. So you may be correct, but im not to sure.

One of my guildies did some experimenting today, and it only shows up on maps that Tequatl failed on previously. Brand new maps, or maps that the event was successful prior do not have the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Sounds like a problem with the authentication server. The instances run off various virtual servers; the checking of character names & guild memberships etc takes places separately. That allows us ANet to restart the authentication server without kicking us out of existing instances.

If I'm correct, symptoms include:
  • Slow or inaccessible chat, including /whisper, /party, /guild, etc
  • Guild names missing from the guild panel
  • Trouble interacting with guild services, including g-bank or g-mish interface etc
  • Names missing/reappearing on friends list
  • Your name disappearing from other people's lists.
  • "Join in [zone]" interface disappearing.

Often this sort of thing will fix itself. However, I've heard some people suffering this over the last few days (never for very long, tho). So I'm inclined to think they might want to consider whether to restart services or reboot the relevant servers.

Ive experienced all of those things without ever having
this
particular issue appear, on top of that ive never gotten the popup that appears with the rest of those errors with this one. So you may be correct, but im not to sure.Yeah, the weird thing is that people's symptoms aren't consistent. It would seem like either everyone's chat would break, or no one's. Or that everyone in guild X would lose access to guild X, but not just some of its members.Over the years, I've gotten just about everything, including being unable to "join in" -- I think it's because even though I see myself in the party, the game does not. (but that's pure speculation based on how that sort of thing works in other pieces of software).

One of my guildies did some experimenting today, and it only shows up on maps that Tequatl
failed
on previously. Brand new maps, or maps that the event was successful prior do not have the issue.That's interesting and worth sending to ANet via the in-game /bug reporting tool (one from a failed Teq map, one from a success). That could mean the problem is something specific to that map or that it's one of those "edge" cases, in which a perfect storm of oddities has to overlap before there are any symptoms at all.

For example (in wild speculation), perhaps the name server is only a little tilted and the server producing new instances is only a little titled, too. The authentication works "well enough" when everything else is well enough, but when it tries to connect with accounts in a map instance that is misbehaving, it hiccups.


The unfortunate thing is that unless the map totally breaks, this probably won't get any attention that we would notice until the new year. At best, it's going to be tricky to nail down, and I'm sure the people who could figure it out are taking a well-deserved holiday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

That's interesting and worth sending to ANet via the in-game /bug reporting tool (one from a failed Teq map, one from a success). That could mean the problem is something specific to that map or that it's one of those "edge" cases, in which a perfect storm of oddities has to overlap before there are any symptoms at all.

For example (in wild speculation), perhaps the name server is only a little tilted and the server producing new instances is only a little titled, too. The authentication works "well enough" when everything else is well enough, but when it tries to connect with accounts in a map instance that is misbehaving, it hiccups.


The unfortunate thing is that unless the map totally breaks, this probably won't get any attention that we would notice until the new year. At best, it's going to be tricky to nail down, and I'm sure the people who could figure it out are taking a well-deserved holiday.

Ill do that the next time i get into a failed map(got into a successful one today for our group)!

I imagine it would be tricky to track down, not everyones been affected, out of the three commanders guilds that run the Tequatl instance at reset, only two got affected, the one im a part of one of the responders above, the third never had any issues. Ill probably end up bumping this thread after the holidays just to(hopefully) let anet lay eyes on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...