Never played Guild Wars

tcorriveau.3901

I purchased Guild Wars 2 several years ago, but have never progressed past the first few levels (Max level was 10). What class would you recommend to a new player to keep them interested in the game? I find myself running between all the hearts and diamonds, but is there anything else to do besides clearing the areas? Clearly there has to be some fun aspect to this game or it would not have lasted as long as it has. Also, is there any place I can go to get an in depth guide to crafting and whether it's necessary to progress? Any help, ideas, or run for your life comments much appreciated.

I'm guessing you haven't played the story at all, since your max level was 10. I think that's what keeps most new players interested. Between story chapters, you can clear areas to level up till you get the next story chapter (every 10 levels a new chapter unlocks.) Some of the events can be quite fun, too.Once you've got to Level 80, there are fractals and other end-game content. If you buy the expansions and living seasons, you have more stories to play, HoT repeatable meta events, collections for special items and legendary weapons, etc.

Crafting on the Wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/CraftingIt's pretty simple. Find a crafting station for the craft of your choice, talk to the NPC nearby to unlock it, who is also a merchant who sells crafting supplies you will need. You can learn 2 crafts per character, you can change if you want, and you can buy additional crafting licenses from the gem store. Interacting with the crafting station will open the list of items you can craft in a crafting panel. There are also panels for 'discovering' recipes and for accessing your bank and materials.

Refine the raw materials you've gathered from logging, mining, harvesting and/or salvaging. So, for example, when you start weaponsmithing, you will turn your copper ore into bronze ingots and green logs into green planks. You can use those to make, say, a spear haft, a spear head, and an inscription which determines what stats your spear will have. Then you go to the 'Discovery' panel to put them all together into a Healing Bronze Spear or whatever, and now that you have discovered the recipe, Healing Bronze Spear appears on your crafting panel under Spears. (Inscriptions are made from dowels and other materials such as teeth, scales, etc. Imbued inscriptions make a weapon with a higher rarity than the regular ones, and usually create weapons from special collections, like the bandit weapons or ogre weapons.)

The gold items on your crafting panel give you the most XP, followed by yellow, green, blue, white. As your crafting level goes up, the items go down in XP value. So, making a bronze ingot when you start out is a gold item: but as you r level goes up, it fades to yellow, etc. If you have a lot of copper when you start, and you tell it to craft all 200 bronze ingots you have the materials for (btw, you also need tin from the crafting merchant for this) the ingots will be worth progressively less, and when you hit crafting level 25, will be gray and no longer give XP.

After making quite a few bronze and green wood items, you will graduate to the point where you can refine iron and soft wood, then steel and seasoned wood, then platinum and hard wood, etc.

You can also craft (under various skills) armors, utility consumables, backpacks, carrying bags, potions, foods, and trinkets, and special items for collections.

Crafting is NOT necessary to advance. It can be kind of fun, it can help you rank up, it can let you make the weapons and armor you want instead of buying from the TP. If you want ascended armor, it is easier to make it yourself than wait and hope it drops from a fractal or PVP chest or something, IMO. There are OPTIONAL things that you need to craft for. Like making a legendary weapon, for example. But if you are not worried about that, crafting is no big deal.

@tcorriveau.3901 said:Cragga,

Thank you for the response. Is PvP somewhat balanced in Guild Wars 2 or is there one class that will always dominate no matter what? I am not looking for the top dog class, but if I chose to PvP I want to have some chance of survival.

It keeps changing and as with any game, don't expect immediate success.

The good thing about structured pvp (not WvW) is: you need no gear or levels since spvp works off of stats which you chose and all skills are unlocked for you.

You can literally take a level 1 new character, enter the spvp lobby, make a build and start playing. There is absolutely 0 carry over from pve except for visual skins if desired. Spvp is on a complete even playing field as far as stats and skills go.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@tcorriveau.3901 said:Cragga,

Thank you for the response. Is PvP somewhat balanced in Guild Wars 2 or is there one class that will always dominate no matter what? I am not looking for the top dog class, but if I chose to PvP I want to have some chance of survival.

It keeps changing and as with any game, don't expect immediate success.

The good thing about structured pvp (not WvW) is:
you need no gear or levels since spvp works off of stats which you chose and all skills are unlocked for you.

You can literally take a level 1 new character, enter the spvp lobby, make a build and start playing. There is absolutely 0 carry over from pve except for visual skins if desired. Spvp is on a complete even playing field as far as stats and skills go.

Thank you. Now to find a class I will enjoy

Archived