Anet Has Been Dropping Ball on Rank and Done nothing...

This post isn't meant to be mindless hate but rather a serious question as to why the matchmaking for ranked spvp is so unreliable. Just like many of you PvP is my love of this game, and every season I am always plat normally rotating up and down from plat 2, and I have noticed the increased trend of unqualified opponents and allies on both sides of matches. I was curious so I asked my team as I saw they weren't running traditionally "meta" builds and to my shock, I found out that some of them were gold 3 and one was even silver.

I'm not some genius software engineer but let me ask the question as to why this type of unfair matchmaking has not been fixed after years. Perhaps the answer is as simple as spvp is dying/dead so there are not enough players of high tier to draw from? That would make sense but be a rather sad realization to occur that this game we all love is loosing its player base. Rather I think it's that Anet needs to fix this, it's no secret that spvp is the little sibling that has been tossed aside and ignored. If they won't consistently bring us new maps or game modes, can't properly fix and balance classes, the least they can do is ensure the already existing ones work properly.

@"ONLYUSEmeBLADE.8917" said:This post isn't meant to be mindless hate but rather a serious question as to why the matchmaking for ranked spvp is so unreliable. Just like many of you PvP is my love of this game, and every season I am always plat normally rotating up and down from plat 2, and I have noticed the increased trend of unqualified opponents and allies on both sides of matches. I was curious so I asked my team as I saw they weren't running traditionally "meta" builds and to my shock, I found out that some of them were gold 3 and one was even silver.

I'm not some genius software engineer but let me ask the question as to why this type of unfair matchmaking has not been fixed after years. Perhaps the answer is as simple as spvp is dying/dead so there are not enough players of high tier to draw from? That would make sense but be a rather sad realization to occur that this game we all love is loosing its player base. Rather I think it's that Anet needs to fix this, it's no secret that spvp is the little sibling that has been tossed aside and ignored. If they won't consistently bring us new maps or game modes, can't properly fix and balance classes, the least they can do is ensure the already existing ones work properly.

If you're on NA its due to a lack of a playerbase in sPvP these days. There are significantly less people playing in it, which is why I've said before that the top 250 rankings mean nooooooothing. People are just about done with the scarce balance updates that either do nothing or show that Anet doesn't know what to do when it comes to balance, which is honestly a shame. I wish they would put more effort into it but they haven't yet, even if you take into account the new map and the 2v2 map those still don't amount to anything in terms of gameplay experience or PvP balance. Why do you think the wintrading stuff happened? People see sPvP as a joke.

Matchmaking was fine when we had team queue available and a higher pool of players to pull from who were doin solo queue in thier team or guild off times...

We traded that for solo/duo win trades, having bots and queing up with randoms with team chat off, that created an unhealthy environment for actual players and has caused a lot of frustration and tension to a point where people have realised that other games wont put these circumstances on us...

TLDR: game quality dropped, players left and now matchmaking won't work properly

Not enough people in plat+. When the top 250 consists of upper plat 1-legendary, how many of that small pool of players is actually in the queue at the time you happen to be there? And that's 4 tiers! How many of those are within +/- 50 of you? Do you think you're going to find 9 others that meet that criteria at ANY time? Let alone every time you queue? The system has to match from what's available or else force you to wait for hours until the perfect criteria are met. It probably does some sort of compromise where it tries to match players of disparate rank in a balancing act that will never work (e.g. Okay, this team got a legendary tier player but we don't have one for the other team, so we'll pair them with a silver and give the other team a couple of plats...).

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Not enough people in plat+. When the top 250 consists of upper plat 1-legendary, how many of that small pool of players is actually in the queue at the time you happen to be there? And that's 4 tiers! How many of those are within +/- 50 of you? Do you think you're going to find 9 others that meet that criteria at ANY time? Let alone every time you queue? The system has to match from what's available or else force you to wait for hours until the perfect criteria are met. It probably does some sort of compromise where it tries to match players of disparate rank in a balancing act that will never work (e.g. Okay, this team got a legendary tier player but we don't have one for the other team, so we'll pair them with a silver and give the other team a couple of plats...).

Then the legendary player should not get -20 when that game is a loss. The silver player makes that game a 4v5 right off the bat since they'll get focused in every fight and quickly eliminated.

To answer your question as to why some people are unqualified for their ranks, they're builds out there that play themselves, no brain required.

Examples: Blood scourge (just press f lmao), deadeye (just dodge lmao), mesmer (just dodge lmao), boonbeast (just spam everything off cooldown lmao)

These kind of players don't know rotations, match ups, etc due to how braindead the playstyle of their builds are. Nothing can be done about this because the last thing anet wants to do is push off potential players by making the game more complex.

My 2 cents.

Archived