PvP for non-PvP types

GW Noob.6038

Like many people, I found a few good reasons to start getting involved in PvP...but, unlike many of you, I have a disability - it's never been a disability until now, playing GW2 - and that is that my hands/fingers are too big to do the rapid keyboard/mouse maneuvers necessary to be competitive in PvP. That being the case, I have avoided getting involved in PvP...but I now find myself in a position where I need an Item (the Glorious Brigandine) that is only available by completing a PvP track. The other part of the equation is the fact that I have a super strong Alpha-type personality and absolutely hate to lose...this prevents me from just going in to PvP mode and losing just to get the 350 points. So, I had an idea: I thought that it might be possible to gather unto me a small band of non-PvP type people who also need things that are locked behind PvP content. Basically, we would get together once a day to hang out and kill each other...no pressures to perform, just consensual killing and dying. : )

Is this plan viable? If there are any possible snags, what would the be?

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Don't worry, bro. We gotcha covered

GbgZHBb.jpg

Please stop walking on my keyboard I just cleaned it :(

On a serious note.I too have big hands I have found that having a gaming mouse AND keyboard are the way to go.Been using them for a few years now with no issue.You should try the Logitech G710+ keyboard and the Logitech G600 mouse

I can comfortably rest my fingers on keys without the overlap and without feeling cramped or squashed. For extra abilities I use the mouse( currently my weapon skills and a couple utilities are their)Since my thumb can reliably and comfortably reach the first 3 rows it was more convenient for me.

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@AliamRationem.5172

How cute is that? Where can me and my cohorts go in PvP land to kill each other in peace?

I'm not sure your plan is going to work. You can set up private matches, but I don't think they count toward earning PvP rewards. Assuming that's the case, you'd have to queue for unranked or ranked matches. With unranked you can join as a 5 player team, but you have no way of knowing who you're going to be matched against on the other team.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I'm not sure your plan is going to work. You can set up private matches, but I don't think they count toward earning PvP rewards. Assuming that's the case, you'd have to queue for unranked or ranked matches. With unranked you can join as a 5 player team, but you have no way of knowing who you're going to be matched against on the other team.

I was looking at the PvP interface earlier and saw the "My Custom Arenas" tab in the game browser...is that what you're talking about? I think it might be...that would definitely throw a monkey-wrench in the works. :D

I've been formulating a "Plan B"...I'll simply create a spoof character whose sole purpose will be to die in PvP matches. I'll make him as short as possible for a human and use the 'skinny' physique template. He will enter the arena butt-naked and unarmed; I'll have him shout goofy lines from old b-rated martial arts movies...it'll be a hoot! I'll only have to die 57 times and I'll complete the PvP armor track and have the item I need for my female thief. All I need to do is come up with a good name for him...that's the key. ;)

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@AliamRationem.5172

How cute is that? Where can me and my cohorts go in PvP land to kill each other in peace?

I'm not sure your plan is going to work. You can set up private matches, but I don't think they count toward earning PvP rewards. Assuming that's the case, you'd have to queue for unranked or ranked matches. With unranked you can join as a 5 player team, but you have no way of knowing who you're going to be matched against on the other team.

IIRC you can make custom game arena's to complete things like dailies, etc.But you wont be able to get the ranked season rewards.That the OP would have to que for with a friend.

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I'm not sure your plan is going to work. You can set up private matches, but I don't think they count toward earning PvP rewards. Assuming that's the case, you'd have to queue for unranked or ranked matches. With unranked you can join as a 5 player team, but you have no way of knowing who you're going to be matched against on the other team.

I was looking at the PvP interface earlier and saw the "My Custom Arenas" tab in the game browser...is that what you're talking about? I think it might be...that would definitely throw a monkey-wrench in the works. :D

I've been formulating a "Plan B"...I'll simply create a spoof character whose sole purpose will be to die in PvP matches. I'll make him as short as possible for a human and use the 'skinny' physique template. He will enter the arena butt-naked and unarmed; I'll have him shout goofy lines from old b-rated martial arts movies...it'll be a hoot! I'll only have to die 57 times and I'll complete the PvP armor track and have the item I need for my female thief. All I need to do is come up with a good name for him...that's the key. ;)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doing this would constitute as throwing a match/match manipulation, which is against the TOS. It's less serious in unranked, but still pretty "crappy" to do this in matches, as you're ruining the day of four other people.

My suggestion to you is you watch PvP dailies. You can get the "daily PvP player kills" by tagging downed bodies in the Heart of the Mists arena (pit). Doing this gets you a PvP potion, which you can use towards your track.

Additionally, you can fulfill the "Tournament participation" daily by joining a group dedicated to afking the match for the 5 gold, which won't make anybody mad, as all 5 people agree to that, and you're making another team happy by moving them along.

I think you can also get "match winner" daily, by winning a match in a hotjoin (random room) from the PvP browser, as long as it's like "Room 005" (not player owned.)

@"Mbelch.9028" said:Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doing this would constitute as throwing a match/match manipulation, which is against the TOS. It's less serious in unranked, but still pretty "crappy" to do this in matches, as you're ruining the day of four other people.

My suggestion to you is you watch PvP dailies. You can get the "daily PvP player kills" by tagging downed bodies in the Heart of the Mists arena (pit). Doing this gets you a PvP potion, which you can use towards your track.

Additionally, you can fulfill the "Tournament participation" daily by joining a group dedicated to afking the match for the 5 gold, which won't make anybody mad, as all 5 people agree to that, and you're making another team happy by moving them along.

I think you can also get "match winner" daily, by winning a match in a hotjoin (random room) from the PvP browser, as long as it's like "Room 005" (not player owned.)

Are there no 1v1 matches? Also: how is "AFKing the match for the 5 gold" not considered throwing the the match/match manipulation? I'll look into the other methods you mentioned...hopefully they'll pan out.

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@"Mbelch.9028" said:Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doing this would constitute as throwing a match/match manipulation, which is against the TOS. It's less serious in unranked, but still pretty "crappy" to do this in matches, as you're ruining the day of four other people.

Are there no 1v1 matches? Also: how is "AFKing the match for the 5 gold" not considered throwing the the match/match manipulation? I'll look into the other methods you mentioned...hopefully they'll pan out.

In a tournament like that, as long as your teammates agree to just play for the 5g, it really isn't match manipulation. In a ranked/unranked game (granted unranked is just for fun) if you're purposefully losing/messing around, which hurts your other 4 teammates, it is much more negative.

Take it for what you will and good luck.

Do you have a gaming mouse? Buy a gaming mouse so you don't need to push so many buttons on your keyboard.

Also just a friendly suggestion... it's much more fun to just actually play matches than to rig farm a custom arena or hotjoin server. Whatever it is that you do, please do not bring match manipulation into unranked or ranked. It's something that the community has great disdain for.

To elaborate on what others have suggested, If you're on a budget you only really need to get your hands on a gaming mouse with at least 4 buttons accessible to your thumb you can hit all 4 skills (excluding auto attack) at your leisure with your mouse hand and keep moving however you like. I have big hands too and that was what I did when starting out until my budget was more accommodating for more expensive tech.

The issue I see with what you are looking for is that 'right now' all you want is a single reward track item, but it's not unlikely there will be other items you desire later down the line. Some may even be gated by ranked play. Personally when I play MMOs I know what it's like to strive to have everything you want so you can say "/endgame" and just enjoy the world, and I'd hate to see another player completely unable to obtain their desires.

I know it's easier said than done but it might be good to overcome the narcissism that drives your "Alpha Personality". But hey, maybe that personality type could drive you to become a really powerful player with a bit of effort? Though I get it's hard with the amount of toxicity our pvp scene likes to spew if you don't have a thick enough skin, or tend to get to salty.

Still, I recommend dying and learning from it, think of every fight as vs yourself not your opponent and strive to overcome it.Again easier said than done, but something to keep in mind: Ego is like cholesterol.

Archived