How was pre-nerf Scrapper?

notavailable.4137

wasnt all that broken , the problem was that back then there was tank amulets like Clerics , so they ruined scrapper because they nerfed scrapper all around and then they also removed the bunker amulets

same goes for turrets , condi meta was being born so everyone was running rabbids for condi on crit procs and condi damage while having armorturrets being imune to condi and crit meant this condi only amulet users got hard counteredthen turrets got overnerfed to uselessness, had the 50% damage reduction trait removed as well as the hp regen trait , became affected by both crit and condi and condidions got more and more insane every 2 months and even more and more hybrid condi amulets popped up

Original scrapper? It was everything that the name scrapper implies. Someone who didn't look so tough but if underestimated would counter a gank even when they are jumped by 3 or so players. In fact the more the better. It thrived on people entering his short swinging range, while negating their combo and sending it back to them, and people play more carelessly the more certain they are of victory. In wvw there wasn't much i feared as a scrapper, especially from power builds, winning fights 3 to 1 wasn't an impossibility as more players meant bigger confidence and less kiting.

In short at release it was honestly overpowered. It got some fair and careful nerfs, then some more serious ones and finally the nerfs carried a momentum in which there was a few too many when the scrapper was already fairly in line. And then POF dropped with a new spec which had a little too much in common with the scrapper and with its own strengths that the scrapper lacked.

However if you are speaking about the latest nerfs they were probably attempts at "buffing" the scrapper in all the wrong ways. Scrappers where building tanky and supportive since damage had been toned down, so the gyro damage scaling was more of a nerf than a buff for most realistic builds (and broke synergy with sneak gyro to boot). Later they removed a strong and unique utility in wvw (the only place where they were common) with final salvo in favor of a trait that made it look even more like a failed holo (a trait that has seen some use by some odd glass cannon builds from people who are to proud for holo admittedly.)

It still works as a support in wvw, but it was certainly tough love. Though i personally wouldn't call this love. You could almost say it gave love a bad name if you catch my meaning.

Poor gyros, you didn't deserve this fate. Except you shredder, you can go stand in scourge shades for all i care. Even arenanet cares more about you than i do.

Scrapper on release was a little like Holo. It could survive outnumbered fights and had enough ways to counter damage that you could die attempting to outnumber it.

It wasn't quite as powerful as Holo but I'd go so far as to say it wasn't far off either. It got some pretty heavy nerfs and has lacked direction ever since ANet has repeatedly adjusted it's traits.

@notavailable.4137 said:Sorry for no detail explain. I mean at HoT launch. I heard that many class so op included Scrapper.It's like killing everything while facetanking? Even with wonky AI gyro?

So it had a ton of tankiness from boons and gyros, on top of tanky amulets, gyros that would cause AoE dazes when they blew up, rocket leaping through any of the lightning fields would trigger 3 AoE dazes, and then if you threw in elixir gun and mortar kit, you could basically make any point impossible to stand on while also healing your allies.

@miriforst.1290 said:Later they removed a strong and unique utility in wvw (the only place where they were common) with final salvo in favor of a trait that made it look even more like a failed holo (a trait that has seen some use by some odd glass cannon builds from people who are to proud for holo admittedly.)

For a zerg healer the new trait is still pretty good. The trait triggers pretty often, if you take e.g. slick shoes, increasing your personal superspeed uptime and thus the healing via rapid-regen+MDF. Also the superspeed helps to catch up, if you get cripple/chill by using altruism runes. The stability is nice, too.Compared to final salvo the superspeed uptime might actually be higher, but is even harder to trigger when needed and missing in the groups.Every WvW-guild that I talked to with scrappers in them complained about the missing superspeed mobility...

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:

@miriforst.1290 said:Later they removed a strong and unique utility in wvw (the only place where they were common) with final salvo in favor of a trait that made it look even more like a failed holo (a trait that has seen some use by some odd glass cannon builds from people who are to proud for holo admittedly.)

For a zerg healer the new trait is still pretty good. The trait triggers pretty often, if you take e.g. slick shoes, increasing your personal superspeed uptime and thus the healing via rapid-regen+MDF. Also the superspeed helps to catch up, if you get cripple/chill by using altruism runes. The stability is nice, too.Compared to final salvo the superspeed uptime might actually be higher, but is even harder to trigger when needed and missing in the groups.Every WvW-guild that I talked to with scrappers in them complained about the missing superspeed mobility...

I mean i'm no stranger to the engineer. Ive been holding it upside down and shaking it for every last penny since release. And neither am i a stranger to strange builds, but while i like your optimism in regards to scrapper i'm a bit of a lost cause in that regard i'm afraid.

Rant warning as usual.

The stability/ super speed from the new trait focuses the scrapper away from supportive gyros (which honestly should be buffed in the case of the purge gyro and gods forbid the medic gyro) to cc spam skills (because we need more focus on that...) and the super speed is selfish. Furthermore you wont trigger it when you face an enemy team with stability of their own, making it more unreliable and less on demand in my opinion. Does support scrapper still work? Sure. Do i feel like the change was for the better and added more than it removed? Absolutely not. And the whole change that was marketed as a buff feels more like a nerf. And so i complain lest they forget about scrapper for another year.

Take for example purge gyro. From being a mediocre condition cleanse which atleast could be used for clutch stability and blown up to boost your squad through a choke its now just a mediocre condition removal. Was that skill honestly overpowered before? What about medic gyro which already was an unfavorable matchup to medkit and healing turret? same thing.

In the end they made the trait play us like a holo (corona burst) and made a struggling skillset that had a lot of potential to support a tank support playstyle more irrelevant. Yes it even mean that shredder gyro got nerfed indirectly.

And sharing super speed through fields was fun and similar to how a veil mesmer might help a push, so even if we assume the personal super speed is higher (which depends highly on how much support you are willing to sacrifice for cc spam skills) you loose a small but unique role and a lot of internal synergy in the scrapper spec itself.

The only reason i can see scrapper would be stronger right now is that once again arenanet forgot to take the engineer into consideration when creating runes. I wouldn't count on it staying and i hope we wont be balanced around that mess.

Technically buffing the direct damage of rocket boots by 50% is a buff, but if the did it at the cost of a 50% range nerf i would still think the overall change is negative. That's how i felt about the last patch.

@Chorazin.4107 said:Broken, the sneak gyro was on a 20sec icd lel with a 0 cast time. By the time u had chased it around and killed it, was close to being able to be used again.

The CD starts after the death of the gyro, tho.Granted, was annoying especially since it dazed you when you killed it too.

Just wish they would make the Medic Gyro instacast again.... This was the only reason why it was able to compete with the Healing Turret.

Archived