Jump to content
  • Sign Up

So... Shredder Gyro and our other useless utilities...


Ruufio.1496

Recommended Posts

I actually use Battering Ram. If I'm with a bunch of bad pugs, or in the overworld where players won't bother with CC, I bring it along. It's pretty good at breaking bars.

But yeah it's pretty hard to compete with kits. Any skill you pick has to offer more than an entire kit combined. Because of this, most of the remaining utility slots go to niches, gimmicks, or situational tricks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shredder Gyro WikiAugust 28, 2018This skill now scales its damage with the engineer's attributes. The damage per strike has been reduced by 25%, and the number of strikes has increased from 6 to 12.February 22, 2017

Increased damage by roughly 50%.April 19, 2016

The damage caused by this skill has been increased by 600%.The duration has been reduced by 50%.Removed the initial strike.

Damage buff: +300% (+600% at half duration), +50%, +50% (-25%, but double duration)I think another +100% and it's a viable dmg skill.Or maybe introduce some meaningful whirl finisher...

Other medi-gyro was nice once. Bulwark gyro is still widely taken (nice dmg reduction & projectile hate). Blast gyro has too many requirements to hit.Purge gyro's function is unclear. If it actually cleansed 2 conditions of 5 allies every 3s it would be nice.

I don't mind that there are kits and gadgets not used in every game mode.Bombs and granades are usually not used in WvW (except for smoke-blast in some guilds), but very often in dmg-builds in PvE.

I'm sad about "throw mine", though. A lot of utility and unique effects, but much too weak for anything except trolling dagger-thiefs...Utility goggles are usually not taken, since you get fury and vuln with traits easier, reveil only hits one visible enemy and EG is a better stunbreaker.

All turrets are still underwhelming. Heal-turret is still best destroyed the moment it stands. Rifle turret only taken for toolbelt SD-builds. thumper turret has too little health for WvW and too little radius for PvP. flame, net and rocket also too weak... elite is usually only taken by healscrappers for the F5 and the stun effect. Removing all turrets from the turret elite wouldn't hurt those builds.

Elixirs and kits are in total still pretty useful. Never really use Elixir-R, but I heard there are some PvP builds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Dediggefedde.4961" said:Blast gyro has too many requirements to hit.Purge gyro's function is unclear. If it actually cleansed 2 conditions of 5 allies every 3s it would be nice.

I don't mind that there are kits and gadgets not used in every game mode.Bombs and granades are usually not used in WvW (except for smoke-blast in some guilds), but very often in dmg-builds in PvE.

I'm sad about "throw mine", though. A lot of utility and unique effects, but much too weak for anything except trolling dagger-thiefs...Utility goggles are usually not taken, since you get fury and vuln with traits easier, reveil only hits one visible enemy and EG is a better stunbreaker.

All turrets are still underwhelming. Heal-turret is still best destroyed the moment it stands. Rifle turret only taken for toolbelt SD-builds. thumper turret has too little health for WvW and too little radius for PvP. flame, net and rocket also too weak... elite is usually only taken by healscrappers for the F5 and the stun effect. Removing all turrets from the turret elite wouldn't hurt those builds.

Elixirs and kits are in total still pretty useful. Never really use Elixir-R, but I heard there are some PvP builds.

Blast gyro would be very cool if the "tag" hast a 1500 range but the gyro itself follows the tagged opponent for muuuch more, like 5000 range or similar.

I aggree for Utility goggles, as you have fury and reveal in traits included.But I disagree with throw mine for WvW. I love this skill and I take it with me for roaming about 50% of the time. Don't Forget that traited they are tow invisible and UNBLOCKABLE knockbacks.

Aggree with the turrets, they are also weak in PvE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not that the skills are bad, per se. Some are pretty decent. It's just that engineer's skill slots are SO valuable, you can't afford to spend one on a skill like Personal Battering Ram or Throw Mine or whatever.

I would like to run them. I just can't spare the skill slots. This is very noticeable on core engi because a lot of your damage and utility comes from kits, which take up slots.

On core, I think I would happily give up my elite slot for an additional utility skill slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@coro.3176 said:It's not that the skills are bad, per se. Some are pretty decent. It's just that engineer's skill slots are SO valuable, you can't afford to spend one on a skill like Personal Battering Ram or Throw Mine or whatever.

I would like to run them. I just can't spare the skill slots. This is very noticeable on core engi because a lot of your damage and utility comes from kits, which take up slots.

On core, I think I would happily give up my elite slot for an additional utility skill slot.

Right? I've noted to myself and my fiancee many times that I would happily sacrifice my elite skill for a utility slot, because the utilities for engineer are way more useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big problem is limited access to Stability on core engi, which comes only from Elixirs or Juggernaut/Flamethrower combo (and we all know what to think of Flamethrower outside of PvE).Ah, and Thumper Turret grants one second of Stability. Every 40 seconds. Funny little joke from ANet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shredder gyro is pretty terrible. The best use I've found for it is to drop it onto a smoke field for constant blinds or in a light field for the cleanses, and even then their are better utilities for damage mitigation or condition removal. Whirl finishers just are not that good, the damage it does is terrible and the radius is too small for being a stationary destructible object, even after the last gyro change.

Gyros in general are pretty bad since they can be targeted and cc'ed. There are plenty of skills in this game that do way more with far less risk. Gyros should really be the strongest utilities in the game with how much counter-play there is against them. Either buff the hell out of them or remove the ability to target and destroy them.

@coro.3176 said:It's not that the skills are bad, per se. Some are pretty decent. It's just that engineer's skill slots are SO valuable, you can't afford to spend one on a skill like Personal Battering Ram or Throw Mine or whatever.

I would like to run them. I just can't spare the skill slots. This is very noticeable on core engi because a lot of your damage and utility comes from kits, which take up slots.

On core, I think I would happily give up my elite slot for an additional utility skill slot.

This is the reason why I've been pushing for kit slots on the f-bar. Having weapon skill swapping capabilities is too useful, and it is unfortunate that engineer has to use utility slots to obtain it.

As for wanting to swap the elite skill with a utility skill, I think this is a problem with engineer's elites skills. They are all rather uninspired or under-performing especially since one is a kit which has no cool down.

Moving kits onto the f-bar would mean a slot would open for a legitimate elite skill (in place of mortar kit), perhaps a gadget elite?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@"Prinzsecond.4863" said:Blast gyro would be very cool if the "tag" has a 1500 range but the gyro itself follows the tagged opponent for much more, like 5000 range or similar.Don't Forget that traited they are tow invisible and UNBLOCKABLE knockbacks.

blast gyro:

  1. throw a projectile. Hope it is in range, not evaded or outside the line of sight.
  2. gyro goes slowly towards the target. Hope it is not CCd, destroyed, blocked, evaded, runs out of fuel and there's no ledge.
  3. no control of CC direction, even at single-target

The damage is nice but takes far too long. The group-superspeed & stun break on toolbelt is great though.

Throw mine is even untraited unblockable.However, only if the enemy steps on it. If you trigger it by hand, it can be blocked.Also, if they step on it, the base-damage is 10% higher, scaling with power 20% stronger.Gadgeteer only adds a second mine at your position (+ lower CD and increased radius)

it's funny to use it in the desert border to knock down people from ledges, even in zergs.But the utility slot is also pretty valuable. In a zerg, slick shoes knock down everyone once every 40s, while throw mine would only knock back 5 every 15s.10 every 12s, if traited, but in zerg builds I don't really use tools in zerg builds.

But Your point about throw mine stands: It finds its uses in parts of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gyros need a serious buff to damage and utility, just as everyone else has said. It has alread been mentioned many times that we need a Gadget Elite. These small incremental changes made by the balance team was never interesting to me. We need sweeping changes to several traits and in some cases entire trait-lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nor.2057 said:Sad to hear about Gyros was envisioning a neat Power Hammer Scrapper Using Gyros Mostly...do you still need to have a Gyro in Skill Slot to be able to use Functional Gyro?

You never needed a Gyro skill slotted to use the Function Gyro, don't know how you came up with that idea.Just selecting an ally or enemy in downstate and presssing F will send out your Function Gyro to do its job, regardless of your selected utility skills, as long as you have the scrapper trait line equipped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@padreadamo.3986 said:Gyros need a serious buff to damage and utility, just as everyone else has said. It has alread been mentioned many times that we need a Gadget Elite. These small incremental changes made by the balance team was never interesting to me. We need sweeping changes to several traits and in some cases entire trait-lines.

I agree with the gatgeteer elite skill, the gyros being a complete letdown, but I don't trust them to not mess the trait lines up even further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...