Debating revenant and warrior

Tataienstein.7581

Hi! I am debating both class to main for PvP/Roaming and fractals.I know no one can tell me which one is the most fun but i wanted to know what are the playstyle (meta/viable) on higher ends.

Since im coming back to gw2 i don’t want to support yet. I want a lone wolf dps. Something that brings big dps and utility. Something that screams « man i want this guy in the group »

My concerns are: warrior being banner slave only. Rev not being viable.I am not against condi build either but i think im leaning toward spellbreaker / herald. I really like being aggressive and having a highskill ceiling where i can improve and step above others.

Edit: thanks everyone. I chose rev for the higher skill cap. I said i didnt want support because i alredy have chrono for that so now i have a perfect match

@Tataienstein.7581 said:I guess im afraid that rev is alot harder but not rewarding (less viable even with so much effort)

yes kinda this. You tryhard to by avarage. Some ppl can do miracles with revs. Rev have heavy armor but is more as thief. All your dmg mitigation is dodge and evade. If you get hit you die. Warrior on other hand have evades and blocks too (same amount almost) and is tankiest class here with most HP and big dmg.

I was last week kiting warrior: my AA chain hit him like 800 800 1000 and he hit me for 12k(on crit) with moving skill... :D with his first hit. and he kinda outsustainded me hard cuz on 1 sec they heal something like 4% of their total HP with healing signet.But rev is fun to play.

PvP (or WvW roaming)-Avarage warrior is much safer then avarage rev.

For Fractals-You can still be good with Rev but warrior is superior in:Bigger burst(this is what you want in fractals) (Revenant doesnt have bursts, in PvP they have kinda burst but that is because you have exact same build like for PvE DPS, if you drop those modifiers you are same or worst then necro in terms of DPS)Overall bigger dmg*Little bit more offensive support(Rev have Assassince presence (+100 Ferocity) Warrior have same but +100Power ) and then 2 banners and they give a lot

SO OVERALLIf gameplay is important to you and you are tryhard go REV(there is only 1 build for PvE and PvP but is kinda fun DPS ones)If you care about results like wining, be useful, be taken to groups go definetly warrioir is simplier and rewards you well.

I mean you can have lot of roles for Rev but you need lot of gear stats combinations. On Warrior you will be safe with berserker/marauder on everything

Well, if you want to be a DPS powerhouse, I'd say revenant will be more to your liking. Warrior is pretty much pigeonholed into bannerslave in any PvE content, as it's current DPS builds are not up to snuff. For PvP, warrior is a sidenoding duelist and currently only the third or fourth best build for the slot. Boonbeast and Holosmith are better, and Mirage/Mesmer is the main competition. No idea about WvW.

As for Revenant, in PvP/WvW your go-to is Power Herald. AFAIK hammer herald is still the go-to ranged DPS for zergs. Have to also warn you that in PvP the meta build is rather high skill cap, possibly the highest of all. You will not be tanky but your sustain comes from being evasive. Juggling that with doing damage is the main challenge of the class.For raids and fractals you will want Condi Renegade. There are some support aspects to it but you don't really need to be a healer. It is less effective/wanted in fractals but if your group lacks a chrono, it's a good substitute for getting Alacrity. The gear isn't cheap though.Builds can be found from metabattle.com.

If this is for pvp/wvw it depends on the role you want to fill in the team. Warriors are more side node oriented and focus on taking 1v1 and kiting 1vX fights. Revenant is focused more on winning teamfights and roaming to go +1 fights. That information may help decide which one to go with. Personally, I prefer rev. I find it really fun and very demanding in terms of skill (especially in the realm of survival as war has much more defense available to it and is much more forgiving). Both are good choices though.

For WvW pvp I want to roam (so 1v1 1v2 i guess)

For pve i don’t mind support as a toolkit that is alredy in my rotation (like boons from rev i guess since i alredy need them for myself)What i don’t want is to go out of my way losing dps to take on support skill

I know this sound selfish but thats the way i want to beging my journey. A lone wolf kind of deal.

Edit : also condi Renegade doesn’t look as bad as condi berseker on dots management. Im still trying both.On a side note : i have a very aggressive playstyle. I know rev takes more dodging which is fine but does it fit that role?

@Tataienstein.7581 said:Hi! I am debating both class to main for PvP/Roaming and fractals.

Rev has a single build for PvP/roaming since 3 years ago. You can like more or less the Warrior meta, but with Warriors at least you have options. The only change from Rev's release at HoT was: ditching shield for axe due nerfs, ditching axe for off hand sword due burst. Go figure using the same build 3 years...

@Tataienstein.7581 said:For WvW pvp I want to roam (so 1v1 1v2 i guess)

For pve i don’t mind support as a toolkit that is alredy in my rotation (like boons from rev i guess since i alredy need them for myself)What i don’t want is to go out of my way losing dps to take on support skill

I know this sound selfish but thats the way i want to beging my journey. A lone wolf kind of deal.

Edit : also condi Renegade doesn’t look as bad as condi berseker on dots management. Im still trying both.On a side note : i have a very aggressive playstyle. I know rev takes more dodging which is fine but does it fit that role?

They are both pretty, aggressive. That wont be an issue.

@Catchyfx.5768 said:

@Tataienstein.7581 said:I guess im afraid that rev is alot harder but not rewarding (less viable even with so much effort)

yes kinda this. You tryhard to by avarage. Some ppl can do miracles with revs. Rev have heavy armor but is more as thief. All your dmg mitigation is dodge and evade. If you get hit you die. Warrior on other hand have evades and blocks too (same amount almost) and is tankiest class here with most HP and big dmg.

I was last week kiting warrior: my AA chain hit him like 800 800 1000 and he hit me for 12k(on crit) with moving skill... :D with his first hit. and he kinda outsustainded me hard cuz on 1 sec they heal something like 4% of their total HP with healing signet.But rev is fun to play.

For Fractals-You can still be good with Rev but warrior is superior in:
Bigger burst(this is what you want in fractals) (Revenant doesnt have bursts, in PvP they have kinda burst but that is because you have exact same build like for PvE DPS, if you drop those modifiers you are same or worst then necro in terms of DPS)
Overall bigger dmg*Little bit more offensive support(Rev have Assassince presence (+100 Ferocity) Warrior have same but +100Power ) and then 2 banners and they give a lot

SO OVERALLIf gameplay is important to you and you are tryhard go REV(there is only 1 build for PvE and PvP but is kinda fun DPS ones)If you care about results like wining, be useful, be taken to groups go definetly warrioir is simplier and rewards you well.

I mean you can have lot of roles for Rev but you need lot of gear stats combinations. On Warrior you will be safe with berserker/marauder on everything

Comparing autohits to an actual skill that also has to hit multiple times... OuchAnd dont spout nonsense that healing sig heals 4% with every tick lol.With 20k hp it heals for 1.72% per tick.Ppl like you, that have no idea about pvp are the reason that warrior is getting nerfed time and time again, because since anet isnt good at playing their own game they believe ppl like you.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Bigger burst(this is what you want in fractals) (Revenant doesnt have bursts, in PvP they have kinda burst but that is because you have exact same build like for PvE DPS, if you drop those modifiers you are same or worst then necro in terms of DPS)
Overall bigger dmg*Little bit more offensive support(Rev have Assassince presence (+100 Ferocity) Warrior have same but +100Power ) and then 2 banners and they give a lot

Comparing autohits to an actual skill that also has to hit multiple times... OuchAnd dont spout nonsense that healing sig heals 4% with every tick lol.With 20k hp it heals for 1.72% per tick.Ppl like you, that have no idea about pvp are the reason that warrior is getting nerfed time and time again, because since anet isnt good at playing their own game they believe ppl like you.

Experiences ONLY. Maybe he have berserker amulet And yes 2-3 hits And marauder rev Is dead. Warrior Is in taking dmg much forgiving.

@Catchyfx.5768 said:

Experiences ONLY. Maybe he have berserker amulet And yes 2-3 hits And marauder rev Is dead. Warrior Is in taking dmg much forgiving.

Ofc he had to run berserker, but he gets bursted easily too, i never said that warrior wasnt kind of forgiving, but you told your story clearly from the perspective of an inexperienced player.

I play rev actively And played spellbreaker ať Its peak. That Regen Is also tested with friend while berserker Stats Are equiped. And IT is my day routine gets from gs3 11k+11k. I get that Is my fault to Stand Wrong And get hit with every hit. But i never saw a Warrior getting killed by rev 1 or 2 skills because they didnt Dodge. And if he wants class fór all modes Warrior Is kinda better. Better dmg utility in PvE And samé dmg and more tankiness in PVP modes. So what Is inexperienced about this? I also her that if there Are highlights skilled players IT could be Draw. Still thing Safe bet Is Warrior.

@Tataienstein.7581 said:Hi! I am debating both class to main for PvP/Roaming and fractals.I know no one can tell me which one is the most fun but i wanted to know what are the playstyle (meta/viable) on higher ends.

Since im coming back to gw2 i don’t want to support yet. I want a lone wolf dps. Something that brings big dps and utility. Something that screams « man i want this guy in the group »

My concerns are: warrior being banner slave only. Rev not being viable.I am not against condi build either but i think im leaning toward spellbreaker / herald. I really like being aggressive and having a highskill ceiling where i can improve and step above others.

Spellbreaker can take on 3v1 power builds and win in WvW. Just run from condi mesmer.

Also it's funny running into zergs and casting wod and surviving to get back out.

You don't want to support yet. You might wanna later on. And warr can't heal (in a meaningful way). Rev can.

That asides, I would prefer rev in my party over warr. Reason being he is far more versatile and can fill way more holes in party then warr. While warr is very impactful, he is also very limited in what he can do for others - damage buffs, ress from banner or anti-projectile field if you slotted spellbreaker elite instead of banner elite. The end.

Rev for starters has tons of boons he can share, on both offensive and defensive spectrum unlike warr. Need mights or fury? Both warr and rev can provide them. But rev can give you real stability, alacrity, protection just to name a few that warr can't. Rev has also tons of projectile hate he can use to defend his party (ventari dome, dome on heal from retribution, hammer anti-projectile field) that is not on 90s cooldown.

Lastly warr is very strong and very simple....meaning very popular and almost everyone has his own warr to throw into fractals/raids. Rev on the other hand is hard to play out the gate, and there are much less of those competing with you for the party slot, and even if they do, rev can support in so many ways, both of you can do doing wastly different things for the group and not be redundant.

Archived