Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Discussion: Command Line Option Changes [Merged]


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A decision was made today to take away these parameters leaving many of us with alt accounts without means to easily store our log-on information to switch accounts without having to manually type in

I agree, this change was completely unnecessary, and I am not happy about it. PLEASE RESTORE THIS FEATURE!!

I think I used a batch file to do mine and I don’t see why that wouldn’t still work.

@Vegeta.2563 said:Isn't that what -nopatchui does already?

Basically. What they need to do is have -nopatchui read your email/password and automatically login, just like the launcher does. The best you can do currently is have auto play checked on the launcher, which is a 5s delay to character select.

@MrSamuel.4120 said:Is this how Gaile Gray was hacked

Gaile was hacked by phishing support into giving access to her GW1 account.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a real stab in the back. Especially since there is zero alternative and it was something players choose to do. It is not like anyone was putting these commands in not knowing it was being stored in plain text.

Security really? It hasn't been an issue for 6 and a half years now all of a sudden its unacceptable? I don't buy it.

The bad design decisions of these developers is just piling up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ArenaNet Staff

I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please restore this feature. I use multiple account everyday and remembering all of my usernames and passwords is a nightmare. I have them all stored of course but the convenience of using the command lines to log in saves time. Making us Copy paste our information is going to be an even bigger risk. I can already imagine people accidentally pasting their passwords into map chat because they copy pasted their credentials to log in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Gaile,

This has been a feature for six and a half years. It is a hard pill to swallow that after many of us have come to rely on this feature for years is suddenly taken from us with no reasonable replacement for a security reason that involves our own personal computers security. There comes a point where Anet should let us worry about that and let us make our own decisions. It isn't going to be a hard jump to make that this is to hamstring multiple account owners. This is not something that is routine to all Guild Wars players. We want to be able to at-least make that choice, and Anet is taking that choice away from us.

Yes I agree security > convenience, but this isn't a situation where we have to pick between the two. A multiple account log on feature could easily be implemented that does not require us to move and manipulate files via our own knowledge or using 3rd party tools to replicate a feature that no longer exists that may put our accounts at even more risk.

Like I said, this has been a feature for six and a half years. I don't think restoring it for a month or so longer why Anet works at preserving a much wanted feature is asking to much. Security issue or not simply taking this away from players is a bad move. We need an alternative, meanwhile, we should be allowed to use this feature with a strict advisement that it is not totally safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"eris.9654" said:Please restore this feature. I use multiple account everyday and remembering all of my usernames and passwords is a nightmare. I have them all stored of course but the convenience of using the command lines to log in saves time. Making us Copy paste our information is going to be an even bigger risk. I can already imagine people accidentally pasting their passwords into map chat because they copy pasted their credentials to log in.

The change was really not that big of a deal. All this change does is make it take slightly longer to patch the game (+30MB per account) and add 5 seconds to logging in, since auto play is on a 5s delay. For more information, see the other thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Especially since it doesn't prevent multi-boxing anyway. Although getting arc working on the second one might need more work. I don't need the DPS meter function but the ping display on its metrics window is useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Healix.5819" said:The change was really not that big of a deal. All this change does is make it take slightly longer to patch the game (+30MB per account) and add 5 seconds to logging in, since auto play is on a 5s delay. For more information, see the other thread.

Yea, I'm not installing another 5+ 43 GB dat files on my computer. Also This feature has existed longer then 6.5 years as stated above, GW1 still allows -username -password for login and is shares the same credentials as linked GW2 accounts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shikigami.4013 said:The inconvenience will be countered by people giving all their accounts the same password so they never have to change it anymore when logging into different accounts.This does not improve security.

IIRC the password system will not allow that. You can't use any password than anyone has ever used before either in GW2 or any of the compromised password databases.

@eris.9654 said:

@"Healix.5819" said:The change was really not that big of a deal. All this change does is make it take slightly longer to patch the game (+30MB per account) and add 5 seconds to logging in, since auto play is on a 5s delay. For more information, see the
.

Yea, I'm not installing another 5+ 43 GB dat files on my computer. Also This feature has existed longer then 6.5 years as stated above, GW1 still allows -username -password for login and is shares the same credentials as linked GW2 accounts.

You don't need a separate Gw2.dat for each account. The 30MB is due to the Local.dat containing a copy of the exe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the removal of the -email and -password options, the ability to log into the client automatically has not been effected for those running a single account. However, the ability to log into a multi account setup has been hindered quite a bit. This results in the need to create multiple local.dat files and hot swap them, or break ToS by automating the login process completely (entering creds and all).

As one of those working on LaunchBuddy, I'd like to make a request towards the first solution. Is it possible for ANet to "correct" the -localdat command line? Currently it mirrors -dat, allowing you to select the main dat file. But if it instead allowed the specification of the local.dat file, this process would become much more user friendly.

As a "pipe dream" request, it would also be amazing if we could add a command line that allows the creation of the local.dat file, and immediately closes the client after credential verification. The reason I think this is a pipe dream is that it would only ever benefit those trying to create dat files for multiboxing, and potentially those trying to brute force their way into accounts...

Context:

@Gaile Gray.6029 wrote:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/66631/command-line-options-changedWe have disabled the use of –email and –password command-line parameters for the Guild Wars 2 client. These options involved storing account credentials in an unsecure way that could result in security and privacy risks. If you wish to expedite access to your game account, you may use the “Remember Account Name” and/or “Remember Password” options in the login window.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shikigami.4013 said:The inconvenience will be countered by people giving all their accounts the same password so they never have to change it anymore when logging into different accounts.This does not improve security.

So much this^ just going to end up making a universal password for all accounts and activating SMS auth on them all(even though most already have it). Only thing this action by Anet does is make even more security risks.

Gw1 uses the same login info yet still has the same command lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@eris.9654 said:Yea, I'm not installing another 5+ 43 GB dat files on my computer.

There's no need to install anything. GW2 stores your email/password in %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat, which is roughly 20 MB (up to around 70 MB as it can bloat with each patch). You only need to copy this file for each account you want to run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The game could get a new command that uses an encrypted form of the e-mail + password.

With SHA1, it could look like "3BCA7D3A4D9024CE140EA5A52F31A15E75FF3BDC" (not a SHA1 of my actual account or password, fyi)

Similar to an API key but for your account login. This is no less secure than the "local.dat" (saved username and password) method but allows for convenience when logging in multiple accounts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

How wouldn't they know the risks? I mean they're probably using launchbuddy or another program to stores account info to easily go into different accounts or multibox. It's just aggravating that it was disabled. Due to this change I'm going to be storing several accounts information just in a notepad on my desktop, which is even more insecure. I'm not going to typing out every password and email just to gain access to alts. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I'm really sorry that some of you are unhappy with this change. I'd like to reiterate that the decision was based solely on our concerns for player security. Theories about alternative motivations for the change are completely baseless.

I notice at least one person state that those who used the system were fully aware it was an "at your own risk" situation, and that every user would be aware of any security risks that they were taking on. I have to dispute that. I don't believe that everyone knew of the risks, nor that every single user willingly accepted them. It would be provably inaccurate to state, "I knew it was risky, therefore every other user knew that, too."

As stated here, we have no objections to players using multiple accounts, when that use follows the proscribed limitations. The change today was decidedly not a means of trying to limit or halt multi-boxing, nor was it developed as a means of inconveniencing those who play with multiple accounts. If you are inconvenienced, we're sorry. But security > convenience, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

What about a way to store multiple login information inside the client, that you can just click a drop down menu and hit play?

This would make a lot of people happy, and it would still keep the information secure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Healix.5819 said:

@eris.9654 said:Yea, I'm not installing another 5+ 43 GB dat files on my computer.

There's no need to install anything. GW2 stores your email/password in %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat, which is roughly 20 MB (up to around 70 MB as it can bloat with each patch). You only need to copy this file for each account you want to run.

Yep just can't run more than 1 client like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...