Can someone explain to me what I am missing about Cauterize?

Bullet.9271

I know there is already a thread titled "Coolant Blast + Cauterize Problems", but I want to bring focus and discussion more specifically to Cauterize. To me, though the skill is thematically cool, the application of the skill seems extremely counter intuitive. Cleanse a condition by putting a condition on yourself? What if you are cleansing a cc effect? Then you are adding damage to yourself that you wouldn't have taken before.

What am I missing here? When is the optimal time to use this skill? Is it supposed to be used when you have a lot of conditions on yourself or conditions with long durations, thus you are turning those into a shorter burning stack? In the heat of battle should I be mousing over a checking the time left on conditions, then trying to math it out in my head if Cauterize is worth using? That seems excessively tedious when other skills do more for less.

If the self burn is supposed to be so short or negligible damage, why even put it on the skill.

Can someone help me to understand the practical uses of this "condition kindacleanse"?

Cauterize is a very powerful cleanse skill, 4 condis gone from 1 button press is pretty damn good, especially on such a low cooldown. It is the perfect skill to use to counter a condi burst. The self burn makes it difficult for condition builds to use, but makes it pair well with other skills that frequently cleanse small amounts of conditions, like elixirs. It is fantastic for power builds that don't really do much damage to themselves with condis.

Cauterize might be iffy to use, but it is a devastating skill in the right situation. It's not fair to judge the effectiveness of toolbelts in a vaccuum either, as Med kit is a fantastic thing on your belt, but awful in your bar.

It's an awful skill tbh. 4 condis is decent (not great, but good) and even that is only on the condition you have over 50 heat.If it gave you a single stack of burning, that'd be ok, but you get 3 seconds of burning for every condition you remove (so possibly 4 stacks), which is ridiculously punishing. The only similar skills I can think off are necro corruptions and they specifically use those to transfer/turn them into boons (and even then only traited BiP has the possibility for this kind of self-harm).Even more incomprehensibly it has an uncharacteristically long cast-time for a cleanse (many of which are instant and even our own elixir C is faster) and a 30 seconds CD which is hardly great.

@HotHit.6783 said:Cauterize might be iffy to use, but it is a devastating skill in the right situation.

Idd, it is sure to devastate any holosmith expecting it to save them in a tight spot.

Also: suggesting pairing this with elixirs is absurd tbh, no one in their right mind would trait elixirs and take Coolant Blast over Elixir H or just good ol' Healing Turret.

Well one of the things you can do with it is use skills that cause condis to become boons to convert it into a boon. Other things allow you to use it as well such as sigils that transfer or sigils that remove.

I've not had a terrible time with this one and I am a condi class so not sure what the issue is really.

@coglin.1496 said:What bothers me as well is that holosmith as a whole very literally removed the elite toolbrlt skill. So to even invest in the line to access cauterize you lose the 14 condition cleanse of med pack drop.

Considering how much condition spam was added (both in pve and other elite specs), it's rather harsh how little condi cleanse a somewhat focused holo-build has (i.e. a build not taking alchemy which would be a huge dps drop for a dps elite).Cauterize and Prismatic Converter is basically it, both of which are awkward to use, undertuned and compete with far superior alternatives.

I'm still trying to find a use for it. I have several iterations of my PVP build utilizing holosmith and rifle. It's fun but I'm always trying to tweak things and theorycraft. I still using Elixir C and Healing Turret. I have debating dropping HT for the Holosmith heal but it just doesn't seem like a wise choice. I have been using the Mender Amulet forever because I can't seem to stay alive with any build w/o it. Possibly considering Barbarian Amulet.

• 2 weeks later...

@HotHit.6783 said:Cauterize is a very powerful cleanse skill, 4 condis gone from 1 button press is pretty kitten good, especially on such a low cooldown. It is the perfect skill to use to counter a condi burst. The self burn makes it difficult for condition builds to use, but makes it pair well with other skills that frequently cleanse small amounts of conditions, like elixirs. It is fantastic for power builds that don't really do much damage to themselves with condis.

Cauterize might be iffy to use, but it is a devastating skill in the right situation. It's not fair to judge the effectiveness of toolbelts in a vaccuum either, as Med kit is a fantastic thing on your belt, but awful in your bar.

30 seconds is hardly a low cooldown for a condi cleanse. Just look at the F1, F2, F3 F4 (potentially) on the scourge. All actual low CDs...

Archived