The game needs more collections

Malediktus.9250

I normally don't agree with @Malediktus.9250 but I 100% agree on this topic. Not only do we need more collections, we need more AP for recent achievements as well. I think that all achievements starting with LWS2 (so LWS2, HoT, LWS3, and PoF) need to have their given AP looked at. Its ridiculously low on a lot of them for how much effort is required. All the more so if you compare them to achievements that are around from launch or LWS1. Just for some examples, Zinn's prize student requires you to come back to 1 specific spot in Rata Novus for 13 days, spending a total of 325 ley line crystals and you get 3 AP out of it. Now its not a hard achievement, but it requires 13 days and a fair amount of TD currency, and for that you only get 3 AP from it. Or the Luminescent collections. Each collection requires you to obtain an ascended accessory, most of which are only available through LWS2 meta achievements (meaning repeated playthroughs of content that isn't that great imo), on top of killing every breach boss at least once per collection, on top of collecting all 3 weights of the carapace skin for that armor slot, and you get a whopping 5 AP. That's a lot of effort to put into it to obtain all of 5 AP per piece. 10 AP is more reasonable, considering that's still only 90 AP for doing all 6 collections (counting the "meta" rare collection that grants 30 AP for all luminescent skins). Or consider luminate's backplate, which not only requires you to finish the auric weapons collection, but also requires you to obtain silver in fallen masks (which for a lot of people is quite difficult), and train your exalted mastery fully just to mine that goddamn lodestone. And you get 5 AP from it. Or winter's presence, which requires a lot of money to complete, and gives you only 5 AP. There are tons more examples (almost every HoT, LWS3, and PoF achievement. Especially the collection ones).

I also want to see new collections added. On the old forums there was a hugelist of possible collections that ANet could implement (I think by @Malediktus.9250 actually). It had great ideas like collections for dyes, more collections for minis, collections for finishers, mail carriers, skins in general (ie collecting XX skins. This could be broken down to a lot of collections as well), and way more that I can't remember. Also meta collections would be great to have for more content as well. I love @Orpheal.8263 idea to add meta achievements to the maps in core Tyria, but I think its a bit ridiculous to do one for all of those maps, so maybe meta achievements for each region in core tyria. This could be stuff like exploring all the areas in that region, killing all of the named champions in that region (core champs only, so no bandit bullshit required), completing so many events in that zone etc...

@OriOri.8724 said:I normally don't agree with @Malediktus.9250 but I 100% agree on this topic. Not only do we need more collections, we need more AP for recent achievements as well. I think that all achievements starting with LWS2 (so LWS2, HoT, LWS3, and PoF) need to have their given AP looked at. Its ridiculously low on a lot of them for how much effort is required. All the more so if you compare them to achievements that are around from launch or LWS1. Just for some examples, Zinn's prize student requires you to come back to 1 specific spot in Rata Novus for 13 days, spending a total of 325 ley line crystals and you get 3 AP out of it. Now its not a hard achievement, but it requires 13 days and a fair amount of TD currency, and for that you only get 3 AP from it. Or the Luminescent collections. Each collection requires you to obtain an ascended accessory, most of which are only available through LWS2 meta achievements (meaning repeated playthroughs of content that isn't that great imo), on top of killing every breach boss at least once per collection, on top of collecting all 3 weights of the carapace skin for that armor slot, and you get a whopping 5 AP. That's a lot of effort to put into it to obtain all of 5 AP per piece. 10 AP is more reasonable, considering that's still only 90 AP for doing all 6 collections (counting the "meta" rare collection that grants 30 AP for all luminescent skins). Or consider luminate's backplate, which not only requires you to finish the auric weapons collection, but also requires you to obtain silver in fallen masks (which for a lot of people is quite difficult), and train your exalted mastery fully just to mine that kitten lodestone. And you get 5 AP from it. Or winter's presence, which requires a lot of money to complete, and gives you only 5 AP. There are tons more examples (almost every HoT, LWS3, and PoF achievement. Especially the collection ones).

I also want to see new collections added. On the old forums there was a hugelist of possible collections that ANet could implement (I think by @Malediktus.9250 actually). It had great ideas like collections for dyes, more collections for minis, collections for finishers, mail carriers, skins in general (ie collecting XX skins. This could be broken down to a lot of collections as well), and way more that I can't remember. Also meta collections would be great to have for more content as well. I love @"Orpheal.8263" idea to add meta achievements to the maps in core Tyria, but I think its a bit ridiculous to do one for all of those maps, so maybe meta achievements for each region in core tyria. This could be stuff like exploring all the areas in that region, killing all of the named champions in that region (core champs only, so no bandit kitten required), completing so many events in that zone etc...

No kidding. Some of the Halloween achievements give out more points than "don't get hit by this one attack for the entire instance" ones.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Offair.2563 said:Yesterday i finished the treasure kit collection bit in Deso map. After that and another collection item i find those kits useless. kitten loot anyway form them, so was thinking, why not some kind of archeology collection for them to dig up gw1 items? Or anything like that. Would give em a better purpose too.That sounds like a great idea! I quickly stopped using treasure kits after realizing that they give nothing interesting. You usually get less than doing a quick event somewhere else :(

There's definitely potential in it. I'm sitting on a pile of maps right now because they're not all that interesting or rewarding. Pieces of collections or a chance at rarer loot/skins might make them worth it.

Same goes for bounties, honestly. Right now, they're just convoluted champ trains withholding some item that's used for a few collections. Some forumers have suggested that instead of just a semi-raid boss, make it start an event string that spans those huge maps and gives more of an opportunity to draw players in as they travel. That would hit some of the check boxes players are asking for: group content, zero wait, makes the maps more interesting during exploration.

Some concrete examples for collections that should be easy enough to implement

• Collect all "Common" dyes - 10AP
  • Collect all "Uncommon" dyes - 15Ap and a celebratory Dye Pack
  • Collect all "Rare" dyes - 25AP and a celebratory Dye pack (this would only require the 82 rare dyes that were in the game at launch, not any of the dyes that were added later via dye sets)
  • Collect 500 dyes - 50AP and a title
  • Collect all HoT miniatures - 30AP
  • Collect all LWS3 miniatures - 30AP
  • Collect all PoF miniatures - 30AP
  • Collect all LWS3 accessories - 50AP
  • Etc......

Its easy enough to come up with these collections, I just don't think Anet as a company believes the need is high enough to justify doing so

@Makai.3429 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:I normally don't agree with @Malediktus.9250 but I 100% agree on this topic. Not only do we need more collections, we need more AP for recent achievements as well. I think that all achievements starting with LWS2 (so LWS2, HoT, LWS3, and PoF) need to have their given AP looked at. Its ridiculously low on a lot of them for how much effort is required. All the more so if you compare them to achievements that are around from launch or LWS1. Just for some examples, Zinn's prize student requires you to come back to 1 specific spot in Rata Novus for 13 days, spending a total of 325 ley line crystals and you get 3 AP out of it. Now its not a hard achievement, but it requires 13 days and a fair amount of TD currency, and for that you only get 3 AP from it. Or the Luminescent collections. Each collection requires you to obtain an ascended accessory, most of which are only available through LWS2 meta achievements (meaning repeated playthroughs of content that isn't that great imo), on top of killing every breach boss at least once per collection, on top of collecting all 3 weights of the carapace skin for that armor slot, and you get a whopping 5 AP. That's a lot of effort to put into it to obtain all of 5 AP per piece. 10 AP is more reasonable, considering that's still only 90 AP for doing all 6 collections (counting the "meta" rare collection that grants 30 AP for all luminescent skins). Or consider luminate's backplate, which not only requires you to finish the auric weapons collection, but also requires you to obtain silver in fallen masks (which for a lot of people is quite difficult), and train your exalted mastery fully just to mine that kitten lodestone. And you get 5 AP from it. Or winter's presence, which requires a lot of money to complete, and gives you only 5 AP. There are tons more examples (almost every HoT, LWS3, and PoF achievement. Especially the collection ones).

I also want to see new collections added. On the old forums there was a hugelist of possible collections that ANet could implement (I think by @Malediktus.9250 actually). It had great ideas like collections for dyes, more collections for minis, collections for finishers, mail carriers, skins in general (ie collecting XX skins. This could be broken down to a lot of collections as well), and way more that I can't remember. Also meta collections would be great to have for more content as well. I love @"Orpheal.8263" idea to add meta achievements to the maps in core Tyria, but I think its a bit ridiculous to do one for all of those maps, so maybe meta achievements for each region in core tyria. This could be stuff like exploring all the areas in that region, killing all of the named champions in that region (core champs only, so no bandit kitten required), completing so many events in that zone etc...

No kidding. Some of the Halloween achievements give out more points than "don't get hit by this one attack for the entire instance" ones.On the other hand most Halloween achievements will carry over from year to year now instead of reset. So we probably got 3 years or so of Halloween AP in one go and be more bored in upcoming years.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@zombyturtle.5980 said:I didnt blow through the content, I just played 1-2 hrs per night with my partner and ive finished pof. Thats hardly 'blowing through it' in MMO context. POF has very little replayability. HOT is engaging because its rewarding and requires cooperation. POF doesnt have that.

Story isn't the only content.I haven't gotten around to the elites and other collections, so maybe I'll confirm how paper thin PoF really is, but I'm not going to buy that HoT's waiting for metas and constant map-taxiing is 'engaging'. But hey, if Dragon Stand ever starts without me having to taxi and die or grind it 25 times for Crystalline Ore, maybe I could like HoT again.

Ive done everything in pof apart from 2 collections. Not just story so yeah..

@zombyturtle.5980 said:

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@zombyturtle.5980 said:I didnt blow through the content, I just played 1-2 hrs per night with my partner and ive finished pof. Thats hardly 'blowing through it' in MMO context. POF has very little replayability. HOT is engaging because its rewarding and requires cooperation. POF doesnt have that.

Story isn't the only content.I haven't gotten around to the elites and other collections, so maybe I'll confirm how paper thin PoF really is, but I'm not going to buy that HoT's waiting for metas and constant map-taxiing is 'engaging'. But hey, if Dragon Stand ever starts without me having to taxi and die or grind it 25 times for Crystalline Ore, maybe I could like HoT again.

Ive done everything in pof apart from 2 collections. Not just story so yeah..Yes, there really is not all that much to do compared to HoT. HoT kept people busy for months, if not the whole 2 years. I totally expected something different when Anet announced that PoF would be "content rich" and HoT was a feature rich expansion. All I have left currently is farming mosaic elegies and that only takes long because it is hard to find people for farming legends :(

I never say no to more collections since I really like the system. They're also useful as a side storytelling tool. There have always been some surprising ommissions though - the blue spirit weapons have one, but the purple ones do not (I think?)

I'm not sure they'd solve the replayability issue with PoF mind you, at least not entirely. Collections suppliment, not replace gameplay

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:As a completionist, I approve this thread. More collections are always welcome. Especially if they result in a node to add to our home instance.

I <3 you!

No really, I love collections, I love more achievement points that go along with them, I love nodes in my home instance, and you say some pretty smart things that make me chuckle. :)

@TexZero.7910 said:I'd rather more content than collections personally.

Tired of collections they're overly bland and in most cases don't add anything to gameplay.I think everyone would agree that true playable content would be better, but it also takes much longer to make and even shorter to play through. Collections are a good way to keep people in the game during content draughts since they work as a multiplicator.

Tired of collections they're overly bland and in most cases don't add anything to gameplay.

Collections are an easy way to build on existing content and introduce players to explore areas they may not have considered otherwise, or bring new life to previous content attention as the aurora collection did masterfully, as well as providing a satisfying checklist for completionists. Believe it or not, it's very satisfying (at least to me) in seeing collection items filling up. Like anything else, it's subjective. I find pvp uninteresting. Each to his own.

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:

Tired of collections they're overly bland and in most cases don't add anything to gameplay.

Collections are an easy way to build on existing content and introduce players to explore areas they may not have considered otherwise, or bring new life to previous content attention as the aurora collection did masterfully, as well as providing a satisfying checklist for completionists. Believe it or not, it's very satisfying (at least to me) in seeing collection items filling up. Like anything else, it's subjective. I find pvp uninteresting. Each to his own.

Again though as currently designed, they offer nothing for gameplay. Getting items for the sake of +AP is boring. There's collections that avoid this like you've pointed out Legendaries. But a vast majority of the collections are largely pointless and do little for actual gameplay and force you to go talk to an npc to buy an item which is silly.

If there was more that had me investing in actually playing content, say TT/Teq/Shatter etc... Name an event/meta/JP what have you then i'd be more inclined to actually do them.

@TexZero.7910 said:

Again though as currently designed, they offer nothing for gameplay. Getting items for the sake of +AP is boring. There's collections that avoid this like you've pointed out Legendaries. But a vast majority of the collections are largely pointless and do little for actual gameplay and force you to go talk to an npc to buy an item which is silly.

If there was more that had me investing in actually playing content, say TT/Teq/Shatter etc... Name an event/meta/JP what have you then i'd be more inclined to actually do them.

/shrug They do nothing for your gameplay. They extend mine. I don't do them for the AP. I do them because I enjoy ticking off boxes and scavenger hunts. Different play styles. More collections like Aurora would be good all round, but smaller, simpler collections in between wouldn't go astray for those of us that enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

I was glad when the 7th Nov patch added a few collections for PoF skins, but a month later there is the same obvious oversight again.The astral and stellar weapon skins have no collection, despite being perfect to keep the new map alive for a long time. Each of the sets seem take about as much effort as the ambrite collection from Dry Top (so they should also give more AP than the usual collections, the ambrite collection gave a whopping 50 AP + ascended armor chest after all and now and each of these sets would be about the same effort).Now after the quartz vendor nerf and no collections for these, it will be increasingly difficult to find squads for branded meteor mining. It really confuses me how Anet keeps missing easy opportunities to keep content alive and worthwhile.

Archived