Gaile Gray, where are you?

Lonecap.4105

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@AnClar.1304 said:What the actual??? Short, cryptic, and th-th-th-that's all folks??? After all these years??? What happened...a bit of explanation would be sorta helpful and appreciated.

Given very likely legal and contractual limitations as to what Gaile would be allowed to say, a polite goodbye is enough.

Very painful to see so many talented, popular and engaged individuals leave. Good Luck to you Gaile on all your future endeavors. :'(

Agreed...and this exodus has implications for the future of the game, and the community. If Gaile is limited as to what she can say, then a statement from the powers that be at the top to the community would be useful as well.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"AnClar.1304" said:What the actual??? Short, cryptic, and th-th-th-that's all folks??? After all these years??? What happened...a bit of explanation would be sorta helpful and appreciated.

Given very likely legal and contractual limitations as to what Gaile would be allowed to say, a polite goodbye is enough.

Very painful to see so many talented, popular and engaged individuals leave. Good Luck to you Gaile on all your future endeavors. :'(

My guess is that NCSOFT is insisting that ANet (and its other subsidiaries) delegate responsibility for some functions to the Mother Ship. That could include player/community relations, marketing, security, support, legal, and anything that doesn't really need to be done in house. (The theory is it's cheaper to have a shared crew. In practice, yes, it costs less since it avoids duplication, but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" in the long run. But that's a hotly debated topic among theorists and practitioners alike.)

Sometimes a firm will offer jobs or transitional consulting to some of those directly affected; often they don't think that far in advance.

It would also mean there are going to be some rough patches in all of those functions for some time to come.

Oh no Gaile :( I saw your tweet too but I am not on Twitter. I wasn't sure you'd still have PM access since that goes with employment. So please know I am so gut-punched for you, and so baffled, if GW2 is continuing as a game why on EARTH let go of the one person that could soothe these troubled forums? You've had our trust, they can't just slot someone else into the role and expect the community to be cool with it.

Your ongoing calmness and kindness have been so wonderful. I hope some other company snaps you up, and offers you the same supportive workplace you've had here. I'm going to miss you so much :( :( :(

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"AnClar.1304" said:What the actual??? Short, cryptic, and th-th-th-that's all folks??? After all these years??? What happened...a bit of explanation would be sorta helpful and appreciated.

My guess is that NCSOFT is insisting that ANet (and its other subsidiaries) delegate responsibility for some functions to the Mother Ship. That could include player/community relations, marketing, security, support, legal, and anything that doesn't really need to be done in house. (The theory is it's cheaper to have a shared crew. In practice, yes, it costs less since it avoids duplication, but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" in the long run. But that's a hotly debated topic among theorists and practitioners alike.)

Sometimes a firm will offer jobs or transitional consulting to some of those directly affected; often they don't think that far in advance.

It would also mean there are going to be some rough patches in all of those functions for some time to come.

Would make sense but also would show NCSoft have no clue to the importance of community relations and management in an mmo. Gaile although not a developer, was very much a “face” of the company.

https://gamedaily.biz/article/623/arenanet-eas-firemonkeys-face-significant-layoffsAll promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now. There are gonna be rough times ahead. If community relations goes down the tubes, the game and the company won't be far behind. :( :( :(

Archived