Upcoming Balance Notes

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for displaying the information in advance. It helps us feel connected and actually attempt to see your reasoning. Even for someone like me who is bad at understanding balance. Much more insightful than just looking at numbers going up / down.

Also agreed Cheese on Beans on toast is good. But have you tried it in a Toastie

Gweat changes ^w^ :) Wegawdwess of the exact nyumbews, thank you fow posting youw weasonying behind the changes as weww as keeping comments enyabwed. Communyication and discussions between the pwayewbase and devewopews awe a fantastic thing fow the communyity.

Awso, cheese on beans on toast is weawwy good.

Amazin'

I like this a lot, you are being very creative with the design of these balance changes. Personally, I like that you reintroduce the repeater skill for thief. I've only ever used it while leveling up a low level character, but now I could possibly use it in endgame content, without suffering from lack of stats from a off-hand weapon.

@RAZOR.7246 said:

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

• Inspiring Battle Standard: This trait has been renamed Doubled Standards. It no longer causes banners to apply regeneration and instead causes the warrior to gain 5 seconds of swiftness when summoning or picking up a banner. Additionally, the banner effect improvements that are gained when this trait is equipped have been increased from 50% to 100%.

That removes pretty much ALL of the group sustain that warriors could provide. And it deletes banners from my berserker entirely - I'll get more sustain from running Dolyak Signet instead of the Banner of Discipline that I currently carry. The entire reason that I have that banner when I am at group events like Octovine is strictly because of the regen it pumps out. That regen lets me out-sustain a large mob of bad guys when I'm soloing the open world on my berserker. The little bit of precision it granted was a bonus, but the regen was what really mattered to me. Without that regen, does Berserker have any thing to offer for group sustain, because all I am seeing is group dps buffs and no sustain.

I really like the kit changes to the banners, and the recharge reductions, BUT, stripping regen from it is BAD.

The effect improvements are exclusive to the warrior, they don't apply to any other group memebers. Theoretically it's a buff on the warrior itself but a huge nerf for banners on groups. Regeneration isn't the main issue with the banner nerf.It's not even a buff for the warrior. remember, that while the % buff will be higher than now, it will also be calculated from a much lower baseline. The end result is a 55 point stat nerf with that trait.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@NeoN.2193 said:Core guard in sPVP was already struggling at high ratings and wasn't outperforming in other tiers. That NERF is NOT NEEDED at all.

Core guardian has been confirmed by Ben to be the build with the second highest win ratio after boonbeast. It performs better than Holosmith and Mirage.

That is not a measurement matrix. Cuz the first question would be at what rating are we talking? Cuz for class balance discussion any game below 1500 average rating does not matter at all. For games with average of rating 1500+ Is core guardian the second highest win ratio, out performing mirage and holo? I dunno, but the answer is probably not. How many of the top 100 players are playing core guardian?

Also, following the same logic, boon beast, which is supposedly the biggest offender. Yet soul beast had minuscule nerfs where core guardian lost about 15% overall damage. What is the logic here?

@"NeroBoron.7285" said:

MesmerExpected a change/nerf to Evasive Mirror here, in my opinion it gives more survivalbility then that 1/4second longer dodge. Not sure on the SoI changes.Most nerfs were expected there since mirage is to strong in roaming. But for group / zerg setups mesmer isn't that great. I hope we see changes there in the future.

Evasive Mirror only blocks projectiles, which heavily limits it already. It has to be a successful evasion, which limits it again. Then, it only lasts 2s. They can do a maximum of 2 of these every 15 seconds with permanent vigor, so it has a maximum uptime of 13.33%. Lowering the mirage image duration reduces their overall "iframes" from 59% to 51.7%, taking into account Axe 3 (.75/8s), Jaunt (1s/30s), the shadowstep utility (.75s/20s) distortion (4s/42.5s), dodges now (1.5s/15s) heal skill mirage image (.75s/25s), staff 2 blink (.5s/8s), and blink (2s/30s).

Again a bit unsatisfied by the elementalist changes... The shouts buffs are really nice but I'd like to see more things changed. A Tempest class mechanic that actually feels like a mechanic instead of a mere AOE cooldown, for example. But most importantly this update does nothing to fix the inherent problems people have been pointing out for years now. I see others classes receive reworks on their gyros or spirits... When do we get our summoned weapons rework? :/

As a whole, I also hope to see one day new core elite skills added. The elementalist could use a signet elite and an arcane elite, the thief could get a trap elite... And so on. We are in dire need of more elite skills options, those we have right now make me feel very restricted in how I can use them.

@Willowsheart.7940 said:Wow, thank you for the update. I am a little baffled by this one though .................Repeater: For builds that use a pistol in their main hand with no off-hand weapon, the damage of this skill has been increased by 20%. Striking a foe with this skill now applies 4 seconds of bleeding per hit.............................Who does not use an off hand weapon? I mean is that a thing? Or am I misunderstanding.Truly though, thank you so very much for posting this.

too true here. there isnt a serious player in the game that would go pistol main hand with no off hand. giving up two skills for a small increase in damage doesnt make any sense.

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:Better than expected to be honest.

Good changes:Hitting most of the mesmer nerfs towards mirage and specifically mirage cloak is a step in the right direction. Chrono is still viable so Mesmers still have something to play. It's good that most of these nerfs don't hit core.Deadeye stealth was one of those things that while not technically overpowered in sPvP was still non interactive and bad for the game. Gutting it was a wise change.Reduction of stab on Holo is possibly the biggest thing it neededReduction of stances on Soulbeast to hit the boonspam said stances provide is also a good direction.Ele might have a viable build now

Neutral changes:Warrior changes I get are for PvE only, but overall a huge nothingburger for the class as far as WvW and PvP go.Revenant. Sidegrading Targeted destruction for less burst but higher potential won't change much. As many Revs have stated, a better way to reduce burst damage without nerfing the class is to just revert sword 4 back to duelist prep. This change kind of works too but overall I don't see Revs current spot in the meta changing much at all with these.LMAO Daredevil d/p buffed

Bad changes:Core guard was honestly overnerfed and Firebrand needed no buffs. 50 to 25% is a bit much. 33% would have been less overzealous.Most of the "bad" of this patch is what it didn't do. For instance, Fresh Reinforcement is still ridiculous. Mantra Bunk is still unkillable when played right. Renegade is still winning the prize for most neglected PoF spec.

Overall B+

how did dare devil dp get buffed?

pistol main hand dagger off hand build isnt bad because of the damage, its bad for the same reason dagger main hand dagger off hand power build is bad.

your burst and survivability is gated behind a blockable Cloak and Dagger skill in a meta where just about everyone has active/passive blocks and invuln with a decent uptime. its very hard to play well so it isnt used often.

making Cloak and Dagger unblockable will help your pistol dagger build as well as your dagger dagger build, and will very mildly help your sword dagger build but not really because the play style doesnt require the stealth. its better to save your innitiative for the flanking strike thats already unblockable and grants access to your main burst.

@The Mechanic.3567 said:

@Willowsheart.7940 said:Wow, thank you for the update. I am a little baffled by this one though .................Repeater: For builds that use a pistol in their main hand with no off-hand weapon, the damage of this skill has been increased by 20%. Striking a foe with this skill now applies 4 seconds of bleeding per hit.............................Who does not use an off hand weapon? I mean is that a thing? Or am I misunderstanding.Truly though, thank you so very much for posting this.

too true here. there isnt a serious player in the game that would go pistol main hand with no off hand. giving up two skills for a small increase in damage doesnt make any sense.

I think this is the rare skill change for early game play. Like, new characters (level 10 or less) that might somehow not have a 2nd weapon?

Archived