Fourth Elite Specialization "Minstrel" - Concept

Sodeni.6041

Im also in the opinion that the best outcome for the profession would be double dagger as it could provide the most variety of combinations with the current weapons. Using sword main hand in power builds has the problem that you almost always have to use it in a defensive way because 1. GS is the only power weapon that provides reliable burst damage but has no defensive skills and 2. going staff as power Mesmer is not playable anymore and needs damage based utility skills like disenchanter to work well. Combinations like dagger/X + sword/dagger could be very interesting and since Mesmer provides 3 offhand weapons that could potentially be useful in burst oriented power builds, let’s hope for a one hand weapon for main and offhand I would say.

After that any 2 hand weapon would do it. I can live with the fact that for Power builds we will most likely play with sword/x as secondary weapon set then but even combinations with staff would be funny. Personell preferences are here towards some more creative things like hammer (my favorite weapon when it comes to the ideas you could implement with it like migraine (awesome gw1 skill) and headache etc)

Short bow or in generell bow like weapons have always these boring repetitive skills that need to stay in line with the „I have a projectile weapon, skills have to shoot something“ theme: a pew pew auto attack, a skill that shoots a strong single arrow, area arrows from the sky or some magical source, shooting N arrows at the same time, channeling arrows. Weapons like hammer would provide so much more flexibility in terms of skill design.

The last acceptable but very questionable implementation would be a 1 hand weapon without the ability to use it off hand. As already seen with mirage, 3 skills are by far not enough to open the field for more build diversity. In combination with the same class mechanic both especs are using, it just feels like a better version of the core profession itself.

Providing only a off hand weapon like warhorn is no option and would be a admission from the developers to have not a is single clue how to implement skills in this game. In the end it doesn’t matter which theme or weapons the espec uses as long as it provides a weapon set with 5 range oriented mostly power based skills.

But to be honest, choosing the „Bard“ theme as last espec would be very uncreative considering the Mesmer theme itself delivers so much more interesting things then just playing music. And me, as a long time guild wars player, can’t even understand why my favorite profession is now taking in consideration to start a professional career as musician. We god damn killed LICH, god of the underworld, with our magic, hundred of years ago. And now I can’t even use these skills in gw2 anymore. Has every damn Mesmer forgotten how to drain Mana? Or are they to depressive because there is no mana anymore so they slowly became an alcoholic and now want to start a career as rockstar, singing about the loses they experienced. I am totally creating „Kurt Cobain“ - Charr if we will be minstrels

Side note: i was wondering but to honest, I don’t see the use of GS with any new implemented weapon if it needs the main hand weapon slot. The new weapon set would need to proved 2 defensive oriented skills better then stealth and distortion and the odds are very low that the devs will give Mesmer anything like this anymore.

@"Senqu.8054" said:Im also in the opinion that the best outcome for the profession would be double dagger as it could provide the most variety of combinations with the current weapons. Using sword main hand in power builds has the problem that you almost always have to use it in a defensive way because 1. GS is the only power weapon that provides reliable burst damage but has no defensive skills and 2. going staff as power Mesmer is not playable anymore and needs damage based utility skills like disenchanter to work well. Combinations like dagger/X + sword/dagger could be very interesting and since Mesmer provides 3 offhand weapons that could potentially be useful in burst oriented power builds, let’s hope for a one hand weapon for main and offhand I would say.

After that any 2 hand weapon would do it. I can live with the fact that for Power builds we will most likely play with sword/x as secondary weapon set then but even combinations with staff would be funny. Personell preferences are here towards some more creative things like hammer (my favorite weapon when it comes to the ideas you could implement with it like migraine (awesome gw1 skill) and headache etc)

Short bow or in generell bow like weapons have always these boring repetitive skills that need to stay in line with the „I have a projectile weapon, skills have to shoot something“ theme: a pew pew auto attack, a skill that shoots a strong single arrow, area arrows from the sky or some magical source, shooting N arrows at the same time, channeling arrows. Weapons like hammer would provide so much more flexibility in terms of skill design.

The last acceptable but very questionable implementation would be a 1 hand weapon without the ability to use it off hand. As already seen with mirage, 3 skills are by far not enough to open the field for more build diversity. In combination with the same class mechanic both especs are using, it just feels like a better version of the core profession itself.

Providing only a off hand weapon like warhorn is no option and would be a admission from the developers to have not a is single clue how to implement skills in this game. In the end it doesn’t matter which theme or weapons the espec uses as long as it provides a weapon set with 5 range oriented mostly power based skills.

But to be honest, choosing the „Bard“ theme as last espec would be very uncreative considering the Mesmer theme itself delivers so much more interesting things then just playing music. And me, as a long time guild wars player, can’t even understand why my favorite profession is now taking in consideration to start a professional career as musician. We god kitten killed LICH, god of the underworld, with our magic, hundred of years ago. And now I can’t even use these skills in gw2 anymore. Has every kitten Mesmer forgotten how to drain Mana? Or are they to depressive because there is no mana anymore so they slowly became an alcoholic and now want to start a career as rockstar, singing about the loses they experienced. I am totally creating „Kurt Cobain“ - Charr if we will be minstrels

Side note: i was wondering but to honest, I don’t see the use of GS with any new implemented weapon if it needs the main hand weapon slot. The new weapon set would need to proved 2 defensive oriented skills better then stealth and distortion and the odds are very low that the devs will give Mesmer anything like this anymore.

I prefer a 2h Weapon for mesmer because no mesmer elite spec had one so far. Shortbows could shoot music notes.I don't think a minstrel spec would be uncreative? We have no class that focuses on sound and the mesmer already has some music based skills so that would fit really well and provide something new to the game. We had the "hex" type mesmer in gw1 already, it's time for something new if you ask me.

• Like 1

@Sodeni.6041 said:

@"Senqu.8054" said:Im also in the opinion that the best outcome for the profession would be double dagger as it could provide the most variety of combinations with the current weapons. Using sword main hand in power builds has the problem that you almost always have to use it in a defensive way because 1. GS is the only power weapon that provides reliable burst damage but has no defensive skills and 2. going staff as power Mesmer is not playable anymore and needs damage based utility skills like disenchanter to work well. Combinations like dagger/X + sword/dagger could be very interesting and since Mesmer provides 3 offhand weapons that could potentially be useful in burst oriented power builds, let’s hope for a one hand weapon for main and offhand I would say.

But to be honest, choosing the „Bard“ theme as last espec would be very uncreative considering the Mesmer theme itself delivers so much more interesting things then just playing music. And me, as a long time guild wars player, can’t even understand why my favorite profession is now taking in consideration to start a professional career as musician. We god kitten killed LICH, god of the underworld, with our magic, hundred of years ago. And now I can’t even use these skills in gw2 anymore. Has every kitten Mesmer forgotten how to drain Mana? Or are they to depressive because there is no mana anymore so they slowly became an alcoholic and now want to start a career as rockstar, singing about the loses they experienced. I am totally creating „Kurt Cobain“ - Charr if we will be minstrels

I prefer a 2h Weapon for mesmer because no mesmer elite spec had one so far. Shortbows could shoot music notes.I don't think a minstrel spec would be uncreative? We have no class that focuses on sound and the mesmer already has some music based skills so that would fit really well and provide something new to the game. We had the "hex" type mesmer in gw1 already, it's time for something new if you ask me.

Even if short bow shoots music notes it would still most likely follow the mentioned attack patterns. I don’t care what it shoots I just don’t want a single skill that basically exists in every mmo ever already 10 times with different names. And the shooting music notes part is also already implemented in this game. Why wishing for a second music notes shooting weapon? Go fight underwater if you can’t have enough of it.

It is uncreative, „minstrel“ or „bard“ is a regular and most known theme from mmos. Why something that was already implemented many times in many forms. A music or sound themed elite spec could literally be shoved over any class we have and it would still „fit“ because people already have an idea of this concept.As I said, why would you waste such an opportunity. Mesmer has so many interesting ways to define itself.

And well, we hadn’t a „hex“ type Mesmer in gw1. Hexes have been just part of gw1 and weren’t only used by Mesmers. What you describe or mean is just the theme of Mesmer, literally... let’s let it be that that way please. It’s like saying, „well we had a Element based elementalist in gw1, it’s time for something new“ or „we had already a undead based necromancer in gw1, it’s time for something new“

It would even fit better for thief then for Mesmer. They are in need for a support build, if you want a music theme why not bard?

Honestly people need to stop comparing gw1 mesmer and gw2 mesmer because honestly they r so different it isnt even in the same category of likeness. Also if you want to talk about 2 handed ele only has 1 which is staff and honestly i prefer one handed weapons over 2 handed because there are soo much combinations tht can be mixed with 1 hand vs 2 hand. If the 2 hand weapon suck u r pretty much stuck with it with no way to really customize ur skills to make it useable. Bard and Minstrel isnt something new to the mmo genre in fact its such a huge meme in the mmo world.

I do not really understand to whom you are answering, but if you think they are not alike because you only compare the playstyles then sure, they are definitely not the same, due to the totally different fighting system given, you are totally right. But the thematic is still the same and offers a lot of interesting ways to introduce new specializations. Why waste this opportunity for something so basic. Better introduce something more connected with the theme „Mesmer“.

About the weapon balance part, I already wrote that I hope for a one hand weapon but 5 new weapon skills is a must for the new specialization, so if they introduce a one hand weapon then it must be used in main and off hand. The weapon skills of Mesmer are missing to many things to be usefull in group play and the remaining skills will definitely not gain any significant buffs or changes in the next years. A new main hand only weapon would also not bring the diversity we hope for. It would have the same combinations as mirage with axe.

So, sure there is a risk that the new 2 hand weapon, if we get one, can be underwhelming but it is still better then only 3 main hand weapon skills.

• 3 weeks later...

@"Senqu.8054" said:I do not really understand to whom you are answering, but if you think they are not alike because you only compare the playstyles then sure, they are definitely not the same, due to the totally different fighting system given, you are totally right. But the thematic is still the same and offers a lot of interesting ways to introduce new specializations. Why waste this opportunity for something so basic. Better introduce something more connected with the theme „Mesmer“.

About the weapon balance part, I already wrote that I hope for a one hand weapon but 5 new weapon skills is a must for the new specialization, so if they introduce a one hand weapon then it must be used in main and off hand. The weapon skills of Mesmer are missing to many things to be usefull in group play and the remaining skills will definitely not gain any significant buffs or changes in the next years. A new main hand only weapon would also not bring the diversity we hope for. It would have the same combinations as mirage with axe.

So, sure there is a risk that the new 2 hand weapon, if we get one, can be underwhelming but it is still better then only 3 main hand weapon skills.

Completely agree. GW2 Mesmer is so different to GW1 Mesmer and I prefer the one from GW2 by a lot.

Also, we really need to get more skills. Mesmer has been really lackluster in terms of new skill available with elite specs compared to other classes. I mean Guardian, Ele, Ranger, Renegade, ... get so many new skills with their specs and mesmer keeps their f1-4 basically (even Chrono pretty much only changes the F4' significantly) and we only get an off hand and a main hand weapon so 3 and 2 new skills with our first 2 elite specs... Yeah the only "new thing" skill wise were ambushes but that's it.

That's why I suggested a "instrument kit" type of f1-f4 mechanic so we finally get to play with more skills.

Something tells me we gonna get some heavily support/healer spec. It is a role which remains not filled by the Mesmer.

regarding the mechanic I had one idea which as crazy as it is seems interesting. Namely, apart from healing the Mesmer would get the ability to create clones of their allies. Some traits would for example grant constant regeneration to allies with active clone etc.

I was thinking it a tidy cap for the clones would be 2 for the Mesmer and 2 for chosen allies so 4 in total.

that’s the only ‘other’ use of clones that comes to my mind apart from becoming a phantasm just like soul east does with pet 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 4:32 AM, Mik.3401 said:

Something tells me we gonna get some heavily support/healer spec. It is a role which remains not filled by the Mesmer.

regarding the mechanic I had one idea which as crazy as it is seems interesting. Namely, apart from healing the Mesmer would get the ability to create clones of their allies. Some traits would for example grant constant regeneration to allies with active clone etc.

I was thinking it a tidy cap for the clones would be 2 for the Mesmer and 2 for chosen allies so 4 in total.

that’s the only ‘other’ use of clones that comes to my mind apart from becoming a phantasm just like soul east does with pet 

True! I wish we got another healer spec. We only have druid, tempest and to some extend scourge/firebrand. I mean we have tons of support specs but not many dedicated healers.

• 9 months later...
  • Sodeni.6041 changed the title to Fourth Elite Specialization "Minstrel" - Concept
On 3/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, Yoci.2481 said:

Guys, you can stop replying to this thread. We know the third Mesmer elite spec. It's Virtuoso. 😁

I changed it to "fourth" now 😄 arenanet just confirmed a fourth expansion so we can still dream of an actual music themed mesmer spec!

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, Sodenii.1075 said:

I wish we got an actual minstrel and not virtuoso mess...

prepare for the fourth spec - Mesmer with no shatter skills or something like that. Seeing how bad and nonsense virtuoso is I’m not sure if they can even work on this class anymore

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 5:55 AM, Mik.3401 said:

prepare for the fourth spec - Mesmer with no shatter skills or something like that. Seeing how bad and nonsense virtuoso is I’m not sure if they can even work on this class anymore

Mesmer with no shatters would at least be more unique than Virtuoso. Silver lining here is Virtuoso set the bar so low it's gonna be hard to kitten it up harder.

Edited by Hirosama Nadasaki.6792
  • Like 1