computer flat out shutting down

Since this last update a little earlier tonight, my desktop flat out shuts down after a minute or so of play. My laptop isnt doing this, so I suspect it has something to do with the graphics card, but still, this is awful, flat out shutting down my computer.

Whats worse, this is the second time this has happened with my computer with GW2 after an update. I can't quite recall when the last one was, but it wasnt quite that long ago (before PoF though).

I'm going to try and update my graphics driver and will update the success or failure of that, but I have to say, this is very frustrating.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Morfedel.4165 said:and the update of the drivers didnt help. computer still shutting down within a minute of running the game.

If it was a driver conflict, you would usually get a BSoD, not a straight shutdown, that provides you with information about what caused the BSoD.

A shutdown usually occurs when the PSU tries to save your hardware from damage by overvoltage. Another possibilty could be overheating or power fluctuation.

• Check your hardware temperatures (CPU, GPU, HDD)
  • If you have additional hardware connected to your laptop that you don't need during gaming, disconnect it and see if the issue persists
  • Charge your laptop's battery to 100% while it's off, then disconnect the power cable and test playing the game merely on battery power (as it could be an issue with your PSU)

This sounds like a classic case of your system generating so much heat that the PSU breaks power to the system. Do install a program that observes temperatures. Anything above 50C is worth questioning. Major culprits could be dust excess in the chassis (dusty heatsinks / fans, dust on HDD/SSD, GPU) and the PSU itself; as well as poor circulation of heat going out of the system.

You might want to do some dust removal. Canned air works great (make sure you wear a glove. Those cans get cold quick with persistent use) and make sure it comes with a tube attachment.

Check the fans to ensure they are running.

If the PSU has a lot of dust and the dust cannot be removed then unfortunately the PSU must be replaced. Excessive heat that hits the PSU will force the PSU to shut off.

If your CPU cooling method involves thermal paste (assuming you've applied it) it may be time to reapply it.

Power supply, while alot of what other people said is valid like heat etc this is power supply issue Modern cpus will heat throttle what that means they will drop the cpu multiplyer back making the clock speed decrease to lower the heat. Intel and amd both do this now. In the old days like 2008 & older most pc's would shut down due to heat. i highly doubt you on a pc that old and playing gw2 lol. Once your pc starts to draw large amounts of power. games ya know they need power to increase voltages to both cpu & gpu the whole lot, it will just shut off. I Been through it couple times in my life I can guarantee it is your problem.

A power supply don't show signs except shutting off, completely random to instances of when huge power draw happens. If you wanna make sure get you a hard hitting stress test, see if shuts down through that as well. Google aida64 cinebench pcmark (i like aida64 has temps on the stress test itself. Ita push your cpu and gpu at same time also tell or you can see on the graph if pc overheating and heat throttling. show voltages aswell great tool i recommend everyone use it) get freebies of all 3 give your pc a stress test it shuts off through any of those instances you can bet power supply is your problem. But grab HWmonitor to check your temps during stress testing and/or gaming, but personally. I'm 95% sure power supply is your problem. I've had brand new psu die on me in 2 weeks time, I've had one that lasted me for 11 years. (only one though the god of power supplies lol)

but if its a hardware problem why would it only do it when running GW2? I thought maybe it was finally fixed, was able to sit in login screen no problem, went to heart of the mists and hung out there until disconnect due to inactivity, no problem, so I went back to pof, was able to play for about a half hour, then suddenly it shut down again.

Seeing all that makes me think its an overheating issue, but again, its only happening with GW2; could the graphics card be causing overheating or something?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Morfedel.4165 said:and the update of the drivers didnt help. computer still shutting down within a minute of running the game.

If it was a driver conflict, you would usually get a BSoD, not a straight shutdown, that provides you with information about what caused the BSoD.

A shutdown usually occurs when the PSU tries to save your hardware from damage by overvoltage. Another possibilty could be overheating or power fluctuation.
  • If you have additional hardware connected to your laptop that you don't need during gaming, disconnect it and see if the issue persists
  • Charge your laptop's battery to 100% while it's off, then disconnect the power cable and test playing the game merely on battery power (as it could be an issue with your PSU)

its a desktop having the problem, not a laptop. I have the game on laptop too and its fine, but my laptop lags, so I always try to play the game on the desktop when possible.

The first thing you should do is substitute a known good working power supply, then work from there. It's the only way you are going to resolve this problem. Electronics can have a variety of failures whether or not it's overheating. Yes, there are other components that can cause this, but it is a definitely a hardware problem.

@abomally.2694 said:The first thing you should do is substitute a known good working power supply, then work from there. It's the only way you are going to resolve this problem. Electronics can have a variety of failures whether or not it's overheating. Yes, there are other components that can cause this, but it is a definitely a hardware problem.

I just find it strange that its doing it only for guild wars 2 and nothing else, and it only started after this last patch, But ok.

EDIT: I should point out I had this problem one time before. GW2 came out with another patch, and the issue went away. thats why I'm hesitant to call this a hardware issue.

Could be power supply dont rule it out just because only doing it on one game the power supply i had the one that lasted 11 years would randomly shut off and gw2 was only game would shut off while playing. It was the power supply i knew it was though I used it till it got to where i'd boot up fine start loading windows and shut off lmao i used it till it just died literally after 11 years. Don't rule it out because it will eventually die then u gonna be up poo creek without a paddle and could damage your pc if there isnt protection within the psu itself. Usually el cheapos those come with pre-mades dont have internal protection during burn out. But hey your pc don't say nobody didn't warn ya. There was even time its randoly shut off for almost daily then it was like quit shutting off didn't have any trouble for 6-8 months then it start it up again. It did stuff like that for about 3 years before the 11 year mark. Don't rule that psu out I've already been through it. But w/e bruh matters not to me.

@Morfedel.4165 said:yup, and thats what I mean, people keep saying this is a hardware issue, and I keep saying I'm not convinced. Not when gw2 is the only piece of software thats doing this, and the last time it did, a patch ended up fixing the problem.

I've been doing electronics and computer repair for 35 years. Trust me - it's a hardware issue.

I've been chasing a GW2 problem for the past 3 or so months. I'm assuming that's when they started adding PoF changes under the hood. I forget exactly when it began, might have been around the time of the WvW update in June. What happens for me while playing GW2 is the video signal cuts out then the system reboots. Because it fails so hard, no logs are created of the event. On a rare occurrence when the video signal fails, the game is still playing. Earlier tonight I had it crash 4-5 times. One of those times I was actively using skills while there was no video signal to my monitors. I've stress tested the CPU even at an over clocked, the GPU for 4+ hours, Memtested the Ram, and all of it found no errors. I've repaired the dat, cleared the cache, clean installs of the Nvidia drivers, and nothing seems to fix this! Nor has this ever occurred with anything other than GW2. So, if it's hardware, even after 3-4 months, it certainly should have broken fully by now.

I'm going to assume, especially at the volume of complaints, that there's something wrong software side. Likely something with Nvidia drivers and the game trying to load assets.

DeWolfe.2174 -

I would start by trying a different video cable. I do, in fact, have a video cable with an intermittent internal short that does that exact thing (with the exception of restarting the system - it just randomly makes the monitor go blank).

If that doesn't solve the problem, your GPU is very likely dying. There are other possibilities such as power supply or motherboard (bad RAM can even cause it), but it's best to start with the most likely suspect. Unfortunately, you'll have to substitute components to pinpoint the problem.

"...So, if it's hardware, even after 3-4 months, it certainly should have broken fully by now."

Not necessarily. Electronic failures can be completely unpredictable in how they behave.

@abomally.2694 said:

@Morfedel.4165 said:yup, and thats what I mean, people keep saying this is a hardware issue, and I keep saying I'm not convinced. Not when gw2 is the only piece of software thats doing this, and the last time it did, a patch ended up fixing the problem.

I've been doing electronics and computer repair for 35 years. Trust me - it's a hardware issue.

And yet it only happens in one map, in one game. That seems oddly specific for it to be a hardware issue.

Regardless, it's apparently stopped again after the latest patch, so....

@Morfedel.4165 said:

@abomally.2694 said:

And yet it only happens in one map, in one game. That seems oddly specific for it to be a hardware issue.

Regardless, it's apparently stopped again after the latest patch, so....

You are, of course, free to believe whatever you want.

I was having this issue last summer, it was particularly hot and I was using a glass desk at the time for my laptop. The ambient heat combined with never having cleaned the fans or duct in 5 years was making it overheat and just shutdown. The solution was to open it up and clean the dust out and then make a little frame for it to sit on, so there was a larger air gap between the bottom vents and the desk.

I have the exact same problem as you have @xephrey.4987And one thing i saw that i found interesting is that you have a MSI laptop.. Same as my self.I have uppdated BIOS, GPUBios, done a clean install of windows and only have GW2 installed and temps are all in the green.I only get this problem in Lions Arch, Crystal Oasis and Lions arch aerodrome so far.

@Morfedel.4165 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

its a desktop having the problem, not a laptop. I have the game on laptop too and its fine, but my laptop lags, so I always try to play the game on the desktop when possible.

You can still do the other steps, and if they come up with nothing, then you should get a new PSU.