Vipers gear

Phasendrache.1320

I'm trying very hard to enjoy PvE , but every class seems to be using Vipers gear in order to do well. I have no problems running a condition build, in fact I would love to try them out. Now comes the issue;

I feel very limited in the classes/elite specs I can play because I don't have ready access to the all powerful Vipers set. Why are the trinkets lowest availability in ascended quality? Why does the exotic armor and weapons cost a fortune to make?

I'm completely on board with legendary/ascended gear requiring an investment in order to obtain. Myself (and i'm sure many others) honestly don't have the ambition to take the time sink in order to obtain this gear. It's an issue because the power build version of gear is so easily obtainable in exotic quality. A full set of Berserkers can be bought for under 8G! I know so of you will mention doing S3 maps for trinkets, class achievements for 1 weapon, and other things like that. However, that doesn't change the fact that there is a substantial time sink involved just to get a set of gear that 90% of PvE specs require!

All I'm trying to get at is this, please make exotic versions of HoT and PoF prefixes just as easily obtainable as the vanilla ones. Save the grind for the ascended/legendary versions.

@Phasendrache.1320 said:That is a good method assuming you already have ascended gear. The time/grind ration to get a full set of ascended gear is pretty high, especially when all you're trying to do is get the basic stats required to run the majority of PvE builds.

It actually doesnt take that long.. when I came back I didnt ahd one full set, in one month and a half of play I got 3 full ascended armor sets..Just do some daily fractals and eventually you will get it.. that and crafting

The games certainly rougher to get back into than the other top MMOs in the market. A majority of builds use a specific set of gear that can mostly only be gotten from crafting (aka gold farming for a long time). I was hoping perhaps PoF would make it a tad easier to at least get an exotic set of sinister or viper. But nope.

@Phasendrache.1320 said:require!

I think your entire post hinges on this one word, "require." You only ever require best-in-slot stats in hardcore Fractal, Raid, or WvW groups. In which case, one can then assume you are hardcore yourself, and are therefore capable of doing what needs to get done to obtain said equipment. The fact of the matter is, Viper's isn't required for the majority of the game, and there are many alternative methods of boosting your Condition Duration.

Next, I think it will be helpful to point out that the majority of cost disparity between Berserker gear and Viper's comes from the Linseed Oil. Due to the market price of this one item, it represents a 3-4 gold increase in cost per crafting component, or 6-8 gold per armor piece or weapon. Piles of Flax Seeds, the material needed to make Linseed Oil has not only remained stable on the market, unlike most other crafting materials post-PoF launch, but is actually seeing an upward trend. So if anything, addressing the availability of Flax seeds might be the way to go.

Also, the lowest quality Viper's trinket is Exotic, except the backpiece. Players have been able to craft Black Diamond Orichalcum Amulets, Rings, and Earrings since the launch of Heart of Thorns.

I only said the word required once, and that was on a response post. In fact, the entirety of my post is simply stating that most builds use the Viper set. Are there other sets with sorta similar stats? Yes. However there is no way you can honestly believe that most builds for PvE content are centered around this set. Especially when you consider that the few power builds out there can easily gear themselves for minimal effort. Why limit the content people can do based on gear? GW2 from the start prided themselves and a horizontal progression curve. This goes against that philosophy and hinders newer players from even attempting these builds.

We aren't talking only slightly different damage outputs, it's massive! Is Vipers gear required to be competitive in most condition builds? Yes. The stat distribution is unique and punishes most condition builds if they don't have them.

I'm not asking for easy legendary gear or even easy ascended gear. Just an easier means to acquire exotic versions of these sets so players can find and play with a build they might enjoy.

Material cost is possibly a factor, I will give you that. 4 weapons, 6 armor pieces, and 5 trinkets to craft in Vipers is a very steep cost.

It deters new players is what I'm saying. If you want the populace to grow and hold interest longer then a few weeks into the expansion, limiting the amount of effective builds based on obtainable gear isn't the direction to be going.

Had the same problem returned to the game with only zerker gear.

Yet there are many living story in hot/pof that grants expertise stat so I did it on 2-4 characters to get as many items as possible, farming winter berries for asc viper jevelery.HoT act 4 achieve for amulet.Etc.

And after a 2-3 weeks I got full viper so it's doable :)

I've been playing since launch and yeah i have full sets of vipers asc and all but I run a really cheap carrion build for open world pve. New players won't be running fractals or raids the moment they come in to play so you can actually go for the cheaper condi gear options and there are quite a few depending on your playstyle. GW2 offers a really wide spectrum of game styles for any type of player honestly. If you're killing stuff, that's good enough. You don't have to follow the way I swing my axe.

• 6 months later...

For new players, I can see it being a bit disheartening, but like wolvhammer above said, you don't really "require" Viper unless you're doing really top-tier stuff. I returned to the game after not playing for almost 5 years and I run a Rabid set with some Viper stuff that I got from playing HoT story (currently only chest piece and torch) on my condi scourge and I've never once thought "geez, I'd really need Viper's gear" and I've slowly climbed up to lvl 50 fractals.

I put my current setup (rabid everything with Viper's chest armor and torch) into GW2 Editor to see how much Condition Damage and Condition Duration I have (no food or might stacks).

My gearCondi dmg: 2020Condi duration: 25%Power: 1307

Full Viper Exotic set incl. trinketsCondi dmg: 1807Condi duration: 56%Power: 2019

Of course, Viper has the added bonus of having high Power which adds some minor direct dps and has double the condition duration (which is important), but in terms of pure damage, core prefixes actually give you more condition damage. If you have a Toxic Sharpening Stone (power to condi dmg convert utility) and a Bowl of Garlic Kale Sautee (+100 Expertise), you get to 32% condi duration and 1429 power, which is meh but again, you're going for a condi dmg build.

In short, Rabid/Carrion gear is still decent for condi dmg builds and the added expertise of Viper isn't that detrimental for stuff that's not Raids or higher-tier Fracs - but if you have time to do those, you probably have time to sink into getting Viper gear too :)

Archived