Full Minstrels meta on Chrono needs to stop.

@Nemesis Ghost.5782 said:I play Minstrel Chrono and primarly join as tank(Been playing tank since W5 release). I clearly state what my build is and my role. If the commander doesn't want, then I leave. It won't take me long to find a group. But it might be a very long wait for the commander who didnt want me.

Pretty much this, no1 in pug groups doesn't care if their tank isn't playing even somehow optimal build as long as it tanks and gives boons. Every pug group more or less is willing to take minstrel tank because waiting for other tank to join can take quite along.

Because Chrono isn't just the tank. They do alot more, they heal, are one of the main sources of Alacrity especially if you're lacking a Renegade with sufficient Boon Duration, they have fast revives with reflect and alot of other utility.

If they just tanked, fine, but quite often with PUGs if Chrono goes down the group wipes because players tend to forget everything else they bring to the fight. Everything they do can be replaced but it requires specific combinations of different classes to replace them with (though FB can cover most of it), while Chrono isn't optimal they can still do it "all in one" and are most safe in Giver's/Minstrels because of it.

Not every group is a perfect 1-hour LFG full KP elite team.

The fact that other supports in the group often come as full glass (e.g Harrier) exaberates this problem. It easy to get a "dominos" effect where players start going down and the group can't recover fast enough from it. Having a safety net where one player always survives and gets everyone else back in fighting condition will see you through almost any encounter with very little expense.

Believe me from many years of playing the game, 10% less DPS is worth more than a half dozen wipes.

And really, even if your tank comes to the fight with 4k armor, its none of your business. They're the tank, and they're tanking. Its like being upset at the DPSes for coming with too much Power or Might stacking.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Because Chrono isn't just the tank. They do alot more, they heal, are one of the main sources of Alacrity especially if you're lacking a Renegade with sufficient Boon Duration, they have fast revives with reflect and alot of other utility.

If they just tanked, fine, but quite often with PUGs if Chrono goes down the group wipes because players tend to forget everything else they bring to the fight. Everything they do can be replaced but it requires specific combinations of different classes to replace them with (though FB can cover most of it), while Chrono isn't optimal they can still do it "all in one" and are most safe in Giver's/Minstrels because of it.

The fact that other supports in the group often come as full glass (e.g Harrier) exaberates this problem. It easy to get a "dominos" effect where players start going down and the group can't recover fast enough from it. Having a safety net where one player always survives and gets everyone else back in fighting condition will see you through almost any encounter with very little expense.

Believe me from many years of playing the game, 10% less DPS is worth more than a half dozen wipes.

And really, even if your tank comes to the fight with 4k armor, its none of your business. They're the tank, and they're tanking. Its like being upset at the DPSes for coming with too much Power or Might stacking.

100 % agree with what you said, but sadly man, people now prefer high risky option, like this op. Because "that make them happy and feel like not so noob"

Is the OP banned ? Rarely do I see a forum login as a string of numbers/letters.

As tank chrono they will vary the play style depending on the group/encounter. Training new druids/healers or new bosses - makes sense for a chrono to go high toughness on certain encounters. I will leave it at that.

@TPMN.1483 said:Is the OP banned ? Rarely do I see a forum login as a string of numbers/letters.

As tank chrono they will vary the play style depending on the group/encounter. Training new druids/healers or new bosses - makes sense for a chrono to go high toughness on certain encounters. I will leave it at that.

nah its a bug from upgrading gw1 account into gw2 merged one so they somehow dident get to chose a display name.

@Rodrick.1942 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Because Chrono isn't just the tank. They do alot more, they heal, are one of the main sources of Alacrity especially if you're lacking a Renegade with sufficient Boon Duration, they have fast revives with reflect and alot of other utility.

100 % agree with what you said, but sadly man, people now prefer high risky option, like this op. Because "that make them happy and feel like not so noob"

well you know when you repeat a lot of time the same thing it gets boring so yeah people rather focus on improving their gameplay rather than being stuck in a rut. And to be fair that helping pug because that why most player repeat encounter out of static. For exemple i like work on my quadim the peerless tanking lately, i'm currently tanking with 1442 toughness and killed it 10 times this week because i need to improve my block and rotation to reduce a bit more my toughness. would have i done so if i have the full minstrel gear and healing well? of course not, i would have killed it once and don't bother about improving because running excess of toughness makes mosts mistake inexistant. whether its about tank or heal or dps, having people that already have a descent knowledge of the fight helps a lot a group, even if they are playing an unsafe comp or newer role which help beginner getting started.

mosts bosses dosn't require any toughness at all, take a gorseval it takes 0 extra skill to tank it as qfb/stm-chr and you multiply your dps by 10. KC same just tank it as stm-chr more dps no extra pressure. tanking is not anymore about being afk while boss hit you, its about placing the boss properly and blocking at the right time.

people expect dps do do great dps, healer to provide enough heal and tank should just cheese it out? nah like other classes you have to work on your gameplay :)

Small reminder, this thread is from APRIL 2019, so short of being 2 years ago.

The meta back then both for ideal clears as well as from a balance perspective and class design was very different to the one we have today (most importantly, chrono was not the power house dps wise it is now).

Some of the things recommended and mentioned in this thread still apply:

• tank having to go above everyone else's toughness
  • taking more toughness for safety in weaker groups
  • etc.

Some things do not apply any longer or only partly apply:

• chrono is not the sole provider of quickness or alacrity
  • Firebrand and Renegade are far more established and available than 2 years ago
  • chrono is not the sole giver of 9-10 boons to squad
  • chrono was a weaker dps back then, so going more offensive carried far less benefit than it does now