Rework: Close to Death

Zero Solstice.9754

For the sake of better design, I'd like to try to move this trait from being inconsistent and selfish into more of the realm of team-friendly and distinct. In PvP modes, Spiteful Spirit is simply always a better trait, and in PvE Close to Death is less consistent than other class' modifiers, and is also personal only. I think I would like to see the trait move more into the public realm in order to help Necromancer in the PvE department, while still maintaining the flavor of becoming stronger when the enemy is weaker.Roughly, I would like to see the trait become:

Close to Death: You and your allies gain +100 Power and +100 Ferocity while in combat. When you strike a foe below 50% health, this effect doubles for 6 seconds. This bonus refreshes in duration each hit.Radius: 600In Combat OnlyNumber of Targets: 5

Thoughts and opinions always welcome.

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:For the sake of better design, I'd like to try to move this trait from being inconsistent and selfish into more of the realm of team-friendly and distinct. In PvP modes, Spiteful Spirit is simply always a better trait, and in PvE Close to Death is less consistent than other class' modifiers, and is also personal only.

Close to Death is identical to modifiers on multiple classes.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:For the sake of better design, I'd like to try to move this trait from being inconsistent and selfish into more of the realm of team-friendly and distinct. In PvP modes, Spiteful Spirit is simply always a better trait, and in PvE Close to Death is less consistent than other class' modifiers, and is also personal only.

Most other classes have modifiers that are dependent on something more controllable, such as being above a certain HP%. Also, Close to Death is poor against everything less than a Champion, while other classes are more consistent across the board.

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:

Most other classes have modifiers that are dependent on something more controllable, such as being above a certain HP%. Also, Close to Death is poor against everything less than a Champion, while other classes are more consistent across the board.No, it is good in some PvP scenarios as well. On burst builds that maximize Chill of Death usage it's pretty good as it kicks in when Chill of Death and Chilling Nova proc - especially against Thieves or Dragonhunters which are as good as dead when they fall under 50% HP and get struck. Spiteful Spirit can be blocked/evaded - this massive hit can't.

With this mindset it is no surprise why everyone states things like Thieves counter Reaper (which is not true thanks to traits like Close to Death).

The stuff you ask for should be baseline for Reaper - ANet had the chance as they changed Cold Shoulder to a 10% damage buff. This buff should have been for the whole team.

@KrHome.1920 said:

Most other classes have modifiers that are dependent on something more controllable, such as being above a certain HP%. Also, Close to Death is poor against everything less than a Champion, while other classes are more consistent across the board.No, it is good in some PvP scenarios as well. On burst builds that maximize Chill of Death usage it's pretty good as it kicks in when Chill of Death and Chilling Nova proc - especially against Thieves or Dragonhunters which are as good as dead when they fall under 50% HP and get struck. Spiteful Spirit can be blocked/evaded - this massive hit can't.

With this mindset it is no surprise why everyone states things like Thieves counter Reaper (which is not true thanks to traits like Close to Death).

The stuff you ask for should be baseline for Reaper - ANet had the chance as they changed Cold Shoulder to a 10% damage buff. This buff should have been for the whole team.

Thief does counter Reaper, simply by nature of their mobility and evasion. It's a doable fight, but it's definitely not in your favor. Close to Death is good in few PvP scenarios where Spiteful Spirit isn't just as good or better. Spiteful Spirit gives you instantaneous ranged AoE damage, boon control, has synergy with Blighter's Boon, and is always there. Close to Death is more inconsistent, is on a per-target basis, and while it has potential for some good burst it also relies on a number of things going right. I can get behind running CtD if you're running Chilling Nova instead of Relentless Pursuit and Reaper's Onslaught instead of Blighter's Boon, but otherwise I don't think it's worth giving up Spiteful Spirit.

@Zero Solstice.9754 said:

Most other classes have modifiers that are dependent on something more controllable, such as being above a certain HP%. Also, Close to Death is poor against everything less than a Champion, while other classes are more consistent across the board.

there are litterally three identical traits on other classes. And what do you mean inconsistent? It's either on or it's not in a very clear way.

Also, Close to Death is poor against everything less than a Champion,

In one no one gives a shit about anything less than a champion.

@MelGT.8326 said:

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:Close to Death is identical to modifiers on multiple classes.

And it's boring af on multiple classes. They reworked a lot of the fall damage traits to give them interesting effects, I think they should look at these ones next as well. I like this idea.

Sometimes boring is better. What i'd do for more boring +x% damage traits on necromancer, considering that is what we lack to do viable power dps. As I said before I like the idea, but after some thought it would be better off as a different trait altogether.

Archived