Add a new WvW map

A new map would be fun to see, but after much of the community bashed Anet for DBL and continue to do so today, we're not likely to see one.  Why go through all that trouble just to get yelled at?  Makes me think the result of all that drama was the straw that broke the map camel's back.

3 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

A new map would be fun to see, but after much of the community bashed Anet for DBL and continue to do so today, we're not likely to see one.  Why go through all that trouble just to get yelled at?  Makes me think the result of all that drama was the straw that broke the map camel's back.

Maybe next time listen to the beta feedback of their customers?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

RBL is actually pretty great once you learn the map better. I do not want to return to the days of triple Alpine. The lack of variety then was boring.

I'd like to see a heavy water map once EoD releases and allow skiff use there with naval based warfare. Yo ho ho meta.

everyone played its share on RBL, it's still mostly kitten unless u have some groups that camp the keeps permanently... idk. its basic design is just a failure, for obvious and yet named reasons.

waterzergfights are pretty much exclusively a pure big ball of chaos... and rarely to never planned happening. plus... any freaking class nearly has good water skills. most players just don't even know them, nor does anyone bother to even use watergear.

10 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

everyone played its share on RBL, it's still mostly kitten unless u have some groups that camp the keeps permanently... idk. its basic design is just a failure, for obvious and yet named reasons.

That's your opinion.

10 hours ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

waterzergfights are pretty much exclusively a pure big ball of chaos... and rarely to never planned happening. plus... any freaking class nearly has good water skills. most players just don't even know them, nor does anyone bother to even use watergear.

It's only chaos if you don't know what you are doing and don't take advantage of the z-axis. If seen a coordinated zerg lure an opposing zerg into the water and decimate them even though the other zerg was larger by a good 15 people. UW fights get an unjustified rap in this game. The problem is that there was never enough UW fighting while leveling up for people to get confident in their UW weapon set, so the get in and have no idea what they are doing.

@Jura.2170 off my lawn, thanks 😛 no, really, tangled depths? is like the most horrible map in existance. auric basin style would be fine bc it has enough openfield overall. RBL jungle shows how crap too narrow passages are.

@Lan Deathrider.5910  point is, they nearly to never happen. everyone is capable of buying a quick exo gear for it if necessary, but most people just dont like watercombat. and btw, the weapons and skills there are way more broken than the land variants.

i only log into Wvw to fight and there's literally never anyone pressing the "YO LETS GO WATERFIGHTING" thing, not even a bit. i cannot tell if i ever done it ... and i ran with a ton of good group yet. it's definitely not a thing u normally do within Wvw. i doubt there even exists a meta for water-zerg or blobfights.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

@Jura.2170 off my lawn, thanks 😛 no, really, tangled depths? is like the most horrible map in existance. auric basin style would be fine bc it has enough openfield overall. RBL jungle shows how crap too narrow passages are.

@Lan Deathrider.5910  point is, they nearly to never happen. everyone is capable of buying a quick exo gear for it if necessary, but most people just dont like watercombat. and btw, the weapons and skills there are way more broken than the land variants.

i only log into Wvw to fight and there's literally never anyone pressing the "YO LETS GO WATERFIGHTING" thing, not even a bit. i cannot tell if i ever done it ... and i ran with a ton of good group yet. it's definitely not a thing u normally do within Wvw. i doubt there even exists a meta for water-zerg or blobfights.

Its not normal true, but it only really happens in bay and only if one zerg refuses to get out of the water.

25 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Beta is just a short word for "we're going to implement this anyway without any major tweaks, we just want to generate hype".

That's usually an open beta, there's various phases of betas that could still have major work and tweaks implemented.

It still took them 6 months after release of the map while wvw was tanking before they bothered to make changes.

There was plenty of feedback, before and after release, on top of which they barely talked to the wvw community in the first place, so that disaster was mostly on them, not the players. If they want to avoid blowback like that, then work with your customers to make them happy with the product they're paying for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

That's usually an open beta, there's various phases of betas that could still have major work and tweaks implemented.

It still took them 6 months after release of the map while wvw was tanking before they bothered to make changes.

There was plenty of feedback, before and after release, on top of which they barely talked to the wvw community in the first place, so that disaster was mostly on them, not the players. If they want to avoid blowback like that, then work with your customers to make them happy with the product they're paying for.

Agreed

@Lan Deathrider.5910 we may have very different view of what a "fight" is. the bay water encounters are usually more fiesta like, unstructured and the stronger group just yolotrains the weaker one down, be it in the water or not - the one the flees (and not kites off) has always a huge disadvantage. some try to just disengage and regroup at other side of the water, but mess it up and half of the squad melts simply while running.

@Jura.2170 alone the activity count on it proofs yet, that it clearly is the least popular either way. i could write a full article about everything that is wrong with the map ...

but if u want just visualization in terms of data, here u go https://gw2mists.com/matches/eu

u can literally klick through the matchups think only one serverlink across all tiers has the activity (kills/deaths) on RBL not on last place, lel.

People who think Desert borderland is just a learn to play issue are delusional.

I have probably spent at least 6000+ h playing WvWvW. Desert borderland doesn't become better the more you play on it and more you learn its quirks. It is a gimmick map, which was designs with visuals 1st and game-play last design approach. The keeps are towers are all designed stupidly and too far from each other. The map is simply NOT fun to play and should be removed from rotation.

The only "fun" I can name of Desert that its garrison (the earth keep) is the easiest keep to solo in the entire game. You need just 1 catapult in correct location and the keep lord is easy to solo (fire lord isn't much harder, where as air lord is much harder, making the keeps very uneven). 

At least here in EU red bl has less play than the Alpine borderlands. Of course EBG has the most play.

Ayna

• Haha 1

I'd actually like to see a whole host of changes:

- Reassert red to always be desert/volcanic themed, green to be forest/jungle/swamp themed and blue to be alpine/snow themed. The themes of Frostreach, Badlands and Overgrowth should be the norm across all maps, not something restricted only to EoTM.

- Add more textures detail to EBG (the map itself is perfect already) to represent these biomes; i.e,  make the area around the red keep a desert, the area around the green keep a true wetlands and make it always snowing around the blue keep, instead of just the same grass texture over the entire map like it is now.

- Dynamically change the atmosphere and overworld music in EBG depending on where you're at. When you enter the blue side of the map for example, you would hear music from Thunderhead Peaks.

- Add a third jungle-themed Borderlands to go with green team, keeping Alpine Borderlands for blue team. While Desert Borderlands was more stretched out and favors mount traversal, Jungle Borderlands could be the opposite; compact and vertical like the Heart of Thorns maps, navigated by wind gusts, jumping mushrooms, etc. (I'm talking Guild Hall-like complexity here, not Tangled Depths-like complexity, so don't panic).

- Add a central objective in all the Borderlands maps and removing the ruins which are almost never used. The Borderlands Bloodlust buff will only activate when the central objective is captured by your team.

- Add a WvW-exclusive Guild Hall similar to Armistice Bastion which can be captured in the Mists.

I think these changes alone would revive WvW for years to come, even though most of them are only cosmetic. Allowing players to go different places and see different things also helps prevent burnout.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

On 10/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, Deniara Devious.3948 said:

NO!

Just get rid of Desert borderland, because even after years the map sucks in so many ways, that it would better to have 3 identical Alpine borderlands and Eternal Battlegrounds. Less players play on Desert, because the map is not suited for WvWvW, but it could be resigned as a pve map.

What we need is better skill and population balance!

We needed another new map to replace another Alpine map for than 5 years ago. Your mileage will vary server to server on maps people like.  For me no, we are now at the point both ABL need to go. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

We needed another new map to replace another Alpine map for than 5 years ago. Your mileage will vary server to server on maps people like.  For me no, we are now at the point both ABL need to go. 

And EBG map as well :) its actually the worst map of all... i call it the map for plebs that like to run and hide.

Wussies!

Edited by Aeolus.3615

I think its weird that people keep saying no because they hate the DBL.  But, if Anet does create a new WvW Map, it's not going to be the desert again.

I'd like to see a third map, if only because it seems like WvW is incomplete.  There's a negative space in the second alpine map that is demanding that something be created there.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

My WvW Guild RELISHES the UW fights. We generally try and bait the other zergs into the water at Garri or Bay... to the point zergs no longer want to chase after us in them unless they VASTLY outnumber us (2-3x more).

46 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

My WvW Guild RELISHES the UW fights. We generally try and bait the other zergs into the water at Garri or Bay... to the point zergs no longer want to chase after us in them unless they VASTLY outnumber us (2-3x more).

We came across a group one day in Bay water.  They seemed to want to stay in there and fight. So we went in and sent them to their spawn.   Can’t remember what server it was from but they didn’t  come back for round two.