How do people play rangers in Zerg squad?

Ryudnard.2587

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

@Ryudnard.2587 said:The pew pew pew seemed kind of fun and chill. So I tried Soulbeast Power build with Long Bow using the Stance Share build. And man, I just die so many times following the tag. If I stay front line, I literally die in like 2 seconds. If I stay in the tail, I die to random conditions. I was using full Berserker, but isn't all rangers like this? Do I need some toughness or vitality even as a glass cannon in WvW? Any tips to play Rangers really well in squad?

u have been in wrong position all the time.go to sides and keep kitten load of distances and retreat fast.

tho as ranger no matter how fun it might look when some1 else is doing it u wont get much kills neither alot of fun better off roaming as ranger

lol have to disagree with the last statement... I get so many kills when I'm zerging that I have to start off with a good set of empty bags ... even then I run the salvage tool now and then just to keep room for more trinkets and trash.

then u use piercing arrow and ur not going for full dmg.ur not getting anywhere near amount of bags as guard/necro/scrapper/rev

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@reddie.5861 said:

@Ryudnard.2587 said:The pew pew pew seemed kind of fun and chill. So I tried Soulbeast Power build with Long Bow using the Stance Share build. And man, I just die so many times following the tag. If I stay front line, I literally die in like 2 seconds. If I stay in the tail, I die to random conditions. I was using full Berserker, but isn't all rangers like this? Do I need some toughness or vitality even as a glass cannon in WvW? Any tips to play Rangers really well in squad?

u have been in wrong position all the time.go to sides and keep kitten load of distances and retreat fast.

tho as ranger no matter how fun it might look when some1 else is doing it u wont get much kills neither alot of fun better off roaming as ranger

lol have to disagree with the last statement... I get so many kills when I'm zerging that I have to start off with a good set of empty bags ... even then I run the salvage tool now and then just to keep room for more trinkets and trash.

then u use piercing arrow and ur not going for full dmg.ur not getting anywhere near amount of bags as guard/necro/scrapper/rev

There's a bottom line that you and some other people are missing I think... and I'm not trying to be a troll. After all is said and done what is fun for me? Ranger is the most fun I have in this game, and I've built it to produce a large amount of damage and ppt (tower/keep siege support) as I can. Heck I can solo tower lords with this baby. It's fun.. I have level 80's of every class, duplicates of some. I've played them all... a lot. I always come back to my Ranger/Soulbeast. That's MY place of fun.

So maybe someone who really likes the other classes can find their fun there, for me it's 'here'... and for me I truly do get a lot more bags with my soulbeast than any other class I've played... and that's probably because I'm not as good at them as people who really know their classes. Which brings me also back to the comment about monkeys on scourges etc being better than rangers... it's simply not true for any class. If you don't know the class, no matter what it is, you're useless, imo. I eat poor players for snacks... ;)

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:It's about developing a sense of positioning. It takes time and can't really be taught. You just have to get used to the flow of zergs and what you can and can't handle. Like walking through a crowd of people you can still see a clear path ahead of you even with everyone constantly moving.

A bit off topic but if you look at your phone and not where youre going, people move around you.Learnt that trick when I lived in Melbourne city.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:It's about developing a sense of positioning. It takes time and can't really be taught. You just have to get used to the flow of zergs and what you can and can't handle. Like walking through a crowd of people you can still see a clear path ahead of you even with everyone constantly moving.

A bit off topic but if you look at your phone and not where youre going, people move around you.Learnt that trick when I lived in Melbourne city.

Until you run straight into someone like me- who will accidentally angle myself or my bag so that it collides with your phone knocking it to the ground:-)

Or until you run into someone like me where moving through crowds is easy- they all get out of my way. It must be the look on my face, or the way I walk at people.

or you try it in London, and have your phone stolen by someone on a bike who saw the easy target.

@Baldrick.8967 said:

Until you run straight into someone like me- who will accidentally angle myself or my bag so that it collides with your phone knocking it to the ground:-)

Or until you run into someone like me where moving through crowds is easy- they all get out of my way. It must be the look on my face, or the way I walk at people.

or you try it in London, and have your phone stolen by someone on a bike who saw the easy target.

Gotta be careful when intentionally breaking someones phone like that, someone might take your phone and wallet to replace the damages you caused.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:Heck I can solo tower lords with this baby. It's fun.. I have level 80's of every class, duplicates of some. I've played them all... a lot. I always come back to my Ranger/Soulbeast. That's MY place of fun.

i can solo tower lord on any given class that doesnt mean ur doing anything good for a blob fight lol.

Anyhow piercing arrows is not a good idea, as you increase the chances of find a reflect by 5.Just move to a hammer reventant, Justine did long ago and never locked back. And i understand, passive damage increase trait, passible unblockables when blocked !?!?!?, pasive speed increase, and hammer is better in damage to zergs than the longbow.

More bags means more experience, more experience means more levels by session, more levels means more pips by tick, and faster ticks means more skrimish rewards by hour. And those are the "good" rewwards from WvW.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Gotta be careful when intentionally breaking someones phone like that, someone might take your phone and wallet to replace the damages you caused.

They would have to prove intent- and seeing as they weren't looking where they were going, I might be asking them for damages too as they clearly walked into me not looking where they were going:-)

@reddie.5861 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:Heck I can solo tower lords with this baby. It's fun.. I have level 80's of every class, duplicates of some. I've played them all... a lot. I always come back to my Ranger/Soulbeast. That's MY place of fun.

i can solo tower lord on any given class that doesnt mean ur doing anything good for a blob fight lol.

lol, that's true... that was just an "aside" since it's a fun thing to do when roaming. .... hah, who says roaming is dead.. it's not.. ;)

lol, that's true... that was just an "aside" since it's a fun thing to do when roaming. .... hah, who says roaming is dead.. it's not.. ;)

roaming is super dead compare to what it used to be.

@reddie.5861 said:

roaming is super dead compare to what it used to be.

However I roam, I have to agree.

@"Alehin.3746" said:1- click on the commander tag and select "join squad"2- tell them what's your favourite pet3- ask them for a good subparty with good stability and heals4- enjoy playing outside of the squad OR get a good WvW classEnjoy!

2- tell them what's your favourite pet

I lol'd too much

• 1 month later...

Ranger is suboptimal in Zerg fights. I suppose you could try to have a ranger only sniper team dedicated to identifying and long range bursting down their commander. That would be pretty funny if it worked. Usually you could tell who’s commander by movement of Zerg. You could instantly decapitate the enemy Zerg in a middle of a big fight.

As much as I love ranger I have to say this. You do not use a ranger in a Zerg fight the ranger just didn’t work well with the party comps. They also usually melt fast in combat. Rangers are great and pretty fun for roaming on wvw but for a Zerg not so much.

I main Ranger in WvW mostly because I like playing it and it suits when i drift off and roam/scot/defend. If you're a ranger and in the zerg then generally you are doing it wrong. Its fine if the squad is 20/50 because then, why not share/recieve the boons but as it fills up you should be leaving so that a proper zerg class like FB/Scourge & Rev is not without a spot. If i really want to be in teh zerg or its needed or i just want loot bags then I switch to Scourge or more preferably Rev, hammers are just so satisfying :)

Rangers, even average players like me in full glass gear & setup, have enough survivability and boon generation that you do not need to be in the squad. You can manage just fine with good positioning and pewpewing down enemy backliners or vulnerable classes who are not close enough to their tag. You can try to pin snipe if you wish but tbh i find that a waste of time with reflects and blocks that a FB com has these days.

@"barei.8967" said:You don't, plus most squads wont take you in anyway.If you want to play ranger do it by yourself, yeah you can follow tag around but don't try to get in melee range.Be aware of your surroundings, pick a target and pew pew it down > next target.

Where are these mythical "most squads" that don't seem to allow rangers/engies/thieves to join them? I'm in T1 and T2, and I've yet to see anyone booted or denied entry into squads that aren't closed guild groups...

That's because pug squads pretty much only kick when they're doing bad. If the train rolls, nobody cares. The truth is people are kicked for being bad, not because of their class except when the squad comp is truly lacking. It's just easier to hide it as a healer, because you can pretend to be useful. But if you are damage, and are not doing damage, this shows up very quickly. It's no coincidence given that other people's healing stats aren't readily available in ArcDPS

Also, I've never seen anyone that went into comms get kicked unless they pissed people off. At most, you get requests to "change to a useful class" of which I would oblige. Useful player on the other hand is not something I can provide.