A struggling Reaper... (PvE Build Suggestions?)

rajjy.4832

I love my necro, but he's under performing now. His hp drops considerably against NORMAL Awakened troops... Or he just dies. It could be my gear. It's not optimized for anything, but I was wondering if you folks can give me suggestions other than to play Scourge. I know it's a good spec, but I want to remain a Reaper. I just need more ooph and some direction now. I'm not looking into PvP at the moment. I just want some PvE suggestions if possible.

Condi reaper with parasitic contain is pretty great survival wise.

If you go power you can always use the jagged horrors for DMG reduction. Don't forget your reaper #3 ability can activate a 33% DMG reduction.

Here is a build I often used for open world pve as a condi reaper. pair that with rune of the Berserker, geomancy, and malice sigils.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYRjc0Q1N2dDO3A/NWKGsoAwAobR1EmC3q4eYRMJC

Something like this for power:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR3dnMbCdbiN2Au0As3glaBDKBEAmBUth5w1KeLWGXjA

What spec do you use currently?

I use:full Viper's, Reaper Runes, and Blood/Curses.Augury of Death for shout spamming AOE bleeds.4 shouts and Flesh Golem.Parasitic Contagion for bosses or story missions, Lingering Curse for running around.Scepter/dagger and either 1-3-2 with axe or 1-1-2 with Greatsword. Axe with the traits from Blood is awesome sustain, especially Axe 2 every 8 seconds

Without food my bleeds are at 92% but that's close enough for me. It's not meta, it's not the highest DPS, but it's damn hard to kill and has served me well so far.

I use spite/soul reaping with full berserker gear and runes of strength. When I need a bit of extra tankiness/burst, I swap soul reaping for blood magic and slot a couple wells. I haven't had trouble at all in the desert. The forged absolutely wreck my full zerk soulbeast build, but my reaper mows over them while barely breaking a sweat.

One thing to keep in mind with the awakened, they love to spam protection, but they also love to spam slow. So boon/condi removal is a strong consideration. Reaper has such good passive defense that I usually just power through the slow/protection.

Are we talking about open world PVE? My reaper uses valkyrie armor and berserker weapons (trinkets are a mix of things) and its pretty much unkillable with very good AOE output. For traits I'm using Spite and Soul Reaping. Utilities are mostly shouts. Of all my characters, I'd say that the reaper is the most forgiving and straightforward for open world.

@rajjy.4832 said:Sorry for the delay. I was asked for what kind of build I was using, so here it is, with gear and all:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBhWD7kGRorGs6Gw7Gg/GsUMYUNhpwtKuHWETiRBgBQCA-jhkAQBA4BA4PdAJSDyDMRQhDQwK0MAtLAwHOCAeRZwYUCZhDCgVUSAFlIJVJICV/BGaIEwBCwjKFAA-e

Probably a massive mess. Thanks for all the posts too. I really appreciate it.Yes it's a mess. The gear looks crazy.

Just a fews things I noticed:Why don't you slot Consume Conditions (Heal) when you trait Master of Corruption and have sustain problems? You could have a very strong 20s CD heal.Where are your Runes?

You have a few synergies like multiple chill sources and your condi damage is okay (but nowhere near good). But your direct damage is just bad. Your GS attracks hits like a wet noodle (1500 power and no might generation). Scepter is bad for AOE. I can see why you have a hard time. You would be surprized how a full berzerk Spite/X/Reaper GS build mows through the mobs you struggle with.

@KrHome.1920 said:Yes it's a mess. The gear looks crazy.

Just a fews things I noticed:Why don't you slot Consume Conditions (Heal) when you trait Master of Corruption and have sustain problems? You could have a very strong 20s CD heal.Where are your Runes?

You have a few synergies like multiple chill sources and your condi damage is okay (but nowhere near good). But your direct damage is just bad. Your GS attracks hits like a wet noodle (1500 power and no might generation). Scepter is bad for AOE. I can see why you have a hard time. You would be surprized how a full berzerk Spite/X/Reaper GS build mows through the mobs you struggle with.

No runes... I have no idea of what to slot up. Could you tell me what to go for in Spite? Is Blood a good option or would something else be better? As for gear, I'll have to try zerker stuff then. I have Scepter cause there are instances of needing to go ranged, but that's mostly cause this build sucks nards. :P

If you need really powerful reaper survival then go crusader stats for some major power reaper tanking.

As for lines you go spite + soul reaping (or blood magic) + reaper.Blighter's boon + spite's might generation will ensure you nice heals when shrouded for that "I'm baaaack" once your lifeforce runs out.Missing crit you'll get via decimate defenses in reaper + deathly perception in soul reaping.

For weapon obvious choice is the greatsword with other being axe or dagger set.You don't need any special run to make that one survivable, but feel free to use

As for utilities little spectral armor never hurt anyone, signet of the locust is also nice (and can be traited with signets of suffering).Also well of power may be nice or plague signet. Awakened mobs spam slow a lot, that really contributes to you dying. Having tools to shake it off is crucial.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:If you need really powerful reaper survival then go crusader stats for some major power reaper tanking.

As for lines you go spite + soul reaping (or blood magic) + reaper.Blighter's boon + spite's might generation will ensure you nice heals when shrouded for that "I'm baaaack" once your lifeforce runs out.Missing crit you'll get via decimate defenses in reaper + deathly perception in soul reaping.

For weapon obvious choice is the greatsword with other being axe or dagger set.You don't need any special run to make that one survivable, but feel free to use

As for utilities little spectral armor never hurt anyone, signet of the locust is also nice (and can be traited with signets of suffering).Also well of power may be nice or plague signet. Awakened mobs spam slow a lot, that really contributes to you dying. Having tools to shake it off is crucial.

Huh... I might look into this. Thank you, and thanks to all who are providing all these tips. :) It means a lot. I love this spec, and I want to make it work. You guys give me hope that it is still an elite spec that can be used. Any more suggestions are welcome! This could help others out a lot.

I don't think it's good to push him toward a power reaper build. What work the best with the necromancer and it's specs is the hybrid builds or downright condi builds.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR7YnMbClbitbCW2A83gliBjqJMFuVx7wiYSMKA8tSAA-jBVAQBkRJ0g0I0j9H+nOAFpBBCmIGwBCAEHBAZoJIAPAgooE5KKJ+oShYohIaXAgKcACSo6PA4gA8FlBKVJIA-e

I just made a few inexpensive changes from the op build, it won't make him "op" but it should become easier for him altogether.

• Change 2nd weapon set to a condi set (take an off hand dagger instead of warhorn...)
  • focus on bleed duration with rune of the kraith and sigil of agony
  • forget master of corruption and chose path of corruption
  • it could help you also to take plague sending instead of chilling darkness but both are good.
  • take shouts trait and a few shouts they will improve your survivability.
  • sigil of the locust for QoL mobility.

These few change should be enough to ease your struggle.

That is a fair argument, Dadnir, and a purer focus with more synergy will certainly improve performance.

The only caution I have is that mobs in the CD tend to link and have mobility or CC skills. I have found a chill-happy shout-reaper is also viable but the real key is to focus on maximizing build synergy before customizing.

psI have been running a Shaman/viper condi build (Scourge) in CD so I am not preferential toward either power or condi. Scourge seems to only really do condi well in PvE, though.

Archived