Race Specific Potions and Runes should be completely Overhauled.

Not only is it racist. Get it? Ha. I joke.

Race-specific potions ( Potion of Centaur slaying, Potion of Grawl Slaying, etc ) are the least used consumable item in the entire game. In fact many people are not even aware they even exist. Many people do not even waste a buff slot even applying it for the first 79 levels of the game. So why not overhaul it to be useful?The main issues;

1. It uses valuable resources to make items no one wants. The actual items used to make the potions are more expensive than the potion it self! Some crafting materials cost around 1 silver takes about 5 of them to make. While the selling price of the potion is 6 copper or less in Black Lion Trader. That means the material cost is 9900%+ more than the result.
  2. The potions and runes are EXTREMELY specific and waste inventory \ upgrade slot space. In a game which makes you buy slot space, wasting space on potions that provide extremely little benefit is like shooting your self in the foot. Why waste space on potions when I can save those slots to actual useful items instead? Which means you need to waste a weapon slot to carry a weapon just to get a tiny advantage against a tiny percentage of enemies. Logical? No.

First step?

1. Remove all race specific potions and runes, don't worry I can guarantee that no one will care. Literally, the only person who would care is the person who thought it was a "great idea" in the first place.

Next.Replace the potions with more Generic Variants.

• Beast Potion: Bonus damage to all beasts ( animals \ centaurs )
  • Spirit Potion: Bonus damage to all Elemental \ Spirit enemies ( Elementals, Ghosts, Destroyers )
  • Slayer of False Gods Potion: Bonus damage to Humanoid style enemies ( Asura \ Human \ Charr \ Norn \ Sylvarri )
  • Slayer of Lesser Gods: Bonus damage to Lesser Races ( Hylek, Tree Frogs, Quaggan, Sea Snakes, etc )
  • Undead Slayer Potion: Bonus damage to Undead, Awakened, Forged, Ascalonians, Rift enemies

Also level specific potions should be sold from vendors to replace all these useless armor \ weapon vendors around Core map. Once you are past level 10 why would anyone buy a common weapon or armor from them? Just remove them and add useful merchants that give useful items to players. Not features no one ever uses.

This will reduce the number of inventory spam and make the potions useful by grouping up large categories.Having a Rune version means carrying multiple versions of a weapon based on the type of content area you are in, Which is just a terrible idea.

Instead, group all the runes into a single rune ( Master of Death Rune ).After you kill 20 enemies of the same type gain a 10% bonus damage to that enemy type ( from above ) resets on Death.

I agree with you, but with the way loot works I dont see them changing multiple items into 1.

You get flooded with loot in this game to make you feel like you're being rewarded, but the reality is that all of it is trash. While this is a good idea, I do not believe they would choose to take items out of the placebo pool.

agreed.

also have a colour next to the potions and colour next to boss' name, to show that this particular enemy is weak to that potion.... cuz at the moment most of enemies u don't know what they are... exampe shadow behemoth... what is it supposed to be? "Undead" "elemental"?

I'd change the vs race potions into regional potions that increase damage vs enemies (+1-5% damage) in that regionand improve rewards from kills (+5-10% magic find) and events( +1-5% map bonus) in the maps of that region:

• "Potion of Krytan Heroics"
  • "Potion of Ascalonian Discipline"
  • "Potion of Maguuma Dicovery"
  • "Potion of Shiverpeaks Legend"
  • "Potion of the Maguuma Wastes"
  • This would also change the Verdant, Auric and Tangled Attunement potions into a single "Potion of the Heart of Maguuma" that works in all of Heart of Maguuma maps and adds +damage and +mf in the area and counts as an enhancement.
  • "Potion of Desert Liberation"
  • "Potion of Charrlands Renovation"
  • "Potion of Canthan Inpiration"

There would still be all variants for regions with low level maps (weak, minor, average, strong, potent and powerful), but for regions that only have level 80 maps, there would be only potent and powerful variants.To craft them, you'll need materials that can be only obtained in those regions.

@joneirikb.7506 said:Dunno, I think it is a horrible design all over, but it does mean I always have easy access to dirt cheap potions for the free +10% bonus xp when leveling from 1-80. I couldn't really care less what other effect they have :)

Didn't they also update all the sigils of slaying to have a base +3% damage and another +% to specific critter type recently?

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:Dunno, I think it is a horrible design all over, but it does mean I always have easy access to dirt cheap potions for the free +10% bonus xp when leveling from 1-80. I couldn't really care less what other effect they have :)

Didn't they also update all the sigils of slaying to have a base +3% damage and another +% to specific critter type recently?

Yup, but they can't really change that on the Utility potions, or they would likely leave the existing sharpening stones and such in the dirt. Even if they didn't make then eventually better than the old damage buff utilities, a lot of people would actually prefer them since they don't depend on other stats, and use them as easier versions, which might actually drop the prices on the normal damage utilities... hmmm..... ok I'm all for that! (Though I guess crafters and market fanboys will disagree).

Besides, it isn't like we need any more damage when leveling in Tyria, everything just dies anyways. It would make more sense to give other types of bonuses like +1% gold, karma, MF, boon duration/swift or something. Basically give something useful while leveling. 25% chance to not break a gear on death ;)

Actually, I like them as is, although maybe some should be less expensive to craft, Idk (I haven’t crafted any of these since the changes). Thematically, having them by race makes more sense to me and IMHO is less racist then having bonuses against “lesser races” as in one of the OP’s suggestions.

I made and used inexpensive anti-undead potions when leveling, doing personal story quests and exploring Orr.

Some people might use these potions and Sigils to optimize and speed run particular dungeons/fractals/etc. I have used the anti-krait Sigils and anti-Nightmare Court (the latter purely for thematic reasons).

I dunno, most enemies we fight in repeatable content come under these catagories:

• Bandit (Caudicus Manor, Cliffside Fractal, Bandit bounties)
  • Scarlets' armies (Lws1 fractals)
  • Dredge (these angry little moles are almost always hostile)
  • Elemental (some fractal bosses)
  • Flame Legion (CoF, tbh we don't see a lot of the flame legion)
  • Sons of Svanir (ls3 ep 3, snowblind, Honor of the waves)
  • Undead (a very common enemy type)

These are the only potions I keep on me. Since they cost like a silver each on the TP and last upwards of an hour, I like keeping them in place of more generalised and expensive sharpening stones.

Since potions are currently a viable budget min/max consumable, why on earth would we want to risk changing that?

@Westenev.5289 said:I dunno, most enemies we fight in repeatable content come under these catagories:

These are the only potions I keep on me. Since they cost like a silver each on the TP and last upwards of an hour, I like keeping them in place of more generalised and expensive sharpening stones.

Since potions are currently a viable budget min/max consumable, why on earth would we want to risk changing that?

Because it is too specific, should be less potions that focus on more enemies. Inventory slots come at a premium.It is simple common sense,

Why do you want 10 things that does 1 thing each, instead of 1 thing that can do 10 things?

@"Shiyo.3578" said:These things are good and used, sigils are annoying because it's super obnoxious to swap sigils 24/7 as the UI isn't very good.(if you own legendary weapons)

99.999999% ( Keep in mind I am not exaggerating the supply is 50,000+ at lowest prices allowed on BLT ) are not used, otherwise, they would not be selling for 3 copper. for even level 1 - 70 potions.It basic common sense, if something is used it will be constantly sold. There will be more demand than supply. Instead, we have near infinite supply due to almost 0 lack of demand.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Powerful_Potion_of_Dredge_SlayingLevel 80 potion 3 copper.

It is better to learn from years of terrible ideas and make items people actually want.Remove the potions and group them up into larger categories. It will actually start being sold.

@Samuel.4812 said:Pretty sure people craft those all the time!

Only reason is for crafting/leveling xp though):Then we trash em

That is literally the problem they are crafted to level and not actually to use. That makes it useless. It is better to be able to replace it with an item that be crated and useful. > @joneirikb.7506 said:

Yup, but they can't really change that on the Utility potions, or they would likely leave the existing sharpening stones and such in the dirt. Even if they didn't make then eventually better than the old damage buff utilities, a lot of people would actually prefer them since they don't depend on other stats, and use them as easier versions, which might actually drop the prices on the normal damage utilities... hmmm..... ok I'm all for that! (Though I guess crafters and market fanboys will disagree).

Besides, it isn't like we need any more damage when leveling in Tyria, everything just dies anyways. It would make more sense to give other types of bonuses like +1% gold, karma, MF, boon duration/swift or something. Basically give something useful while leveling. 25% chance to not break a gear on death ;)

That is why they need to rebalance all these buff items to be meaningful. Reduce the 50+ items to 10 and all of a sudden these items will actually have some demand.

@Kaidan.6509 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:I dunno, most enemies we fight in repeatable content come under these catagories:

Because it is too specific, should be less potions that focus on more enemies. Inventory slots come at a premium.It is simple common sense,

Why do you want 10 things that does 1 thing each, instead of 1 thing that can do 10 things?

Because if I wanted a boost against ten different enemy types, I would use a sharpening stone with flat non conditional % bonus. To me, that is common sense.

10% damage bonus + damage reduction is a huge utility buff in fractals and dungeons. It would be upsetting if they got nerfed in the quest of making them more accessable (which is what I would fear would happen).

You could certainly make a case againt slayer sigils (force+impact makes them obselete), but players like me already make use of and enjoy the current potion system. It's easier to stock up on and give away undead slayer potions at arah when they only cost a silver, y'know?