Best Mesmer PvE options?

FallenSentinel.9065

We all have that one class we made at launch or whenever we started that we've never played. For me, I fed my little Mesmer the occasional exp tome and left her sitting at low levels. Sure, I love my Norn Mesmers appearance and style. And sure, Mesmer has LOOKED amazing, but I've never really found myself loving any of the options. Well, I've finally gotten her to 80 (Mesmer was my last class I didn't have at 80 and I had the exp tomes so why not). But as much as I love some of the options and appearance (Kasmeers outfit looks amazing with the hair style I gave her through an appearance altering kit), I still find myself a little lost on what to actually DO with her. I've always been fond of GS Mes and I love Kasmeers staff on a Mesmer (no surprise there) but I'm just not sure how to tie a build together. Forget gear for now, I don't even know what weapons or specs to go for. Chronomancer has always sounded a little meh to me and Mirage sounds pretty cool, but I'm hearing a lot of "just go Chrono".

I'm just curious what some good options are for my Mesmer in PvE (going to be doing PoF world/story for now and then probably Fractals if anything)

Chronomancer and Mirage offer two very distinct play styles. Chronomancer is centered around group support and static fights, while Mirage is a more damage-oriented specialization. Likewise, the Greatsword and Staff rely on two very different sources of damage; the former deals more direct Power-based damage, while the later relies on Condition Damage (primarily Bleeds).

Now, if you want to make a build around the staff, I would lean towards the Mirage, possibly with this build. Like Kasmeer, you'll be relying on your clones to apply condition damage through Chaos Vortex and Cry of Frustration. You'll also have ample clone generation options with Phase Retreat and Self-Deception (which procs off Crystal Sands and Jaunt).

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't call mirage a damage spec.. I mean it tries to be but it doesn't perform with a lot of damage. If anything Chrono provides good damage, usually caused by the double or triple bursts you can do with continuum split, phantasms and illusions respawning, lowering cd with alacrity, plus aoe wells and cc. mirage has a lot of evade constantly ,it can have a pretty strong condi build but so can any mesmer spec build for it really .... The ambushes don't add that much as we've seen feedback on for a long time now.

What I believe it adds is thief like fast mobility evasion play style. Chrono is def more stand your ground kind of play style. Both can be pretty in your face offensive though. mirage generally seems better for pvp and focused fights, alot of its mechanics are designed that way. Though Chrono can rock all modes. If you run high level pve things like raids and fractals you'll want to be able to support your team via Chrono and also keep phantasms up. If you're doing open world I suggest going with what all mesmers typically do - create illusions , they attack, and then aoe shatter them.

If you want to go long range GS and staff it's possible to just go vipers and have hybrid ? But I don't think the mirage ambush for GS or staff are that great right ?

Anyway yes I'd say listen to everyone who says go Chrono. Mirage is fun while it lasts of course but practically , Chrono is the way to go at least for now unless they improve the spec somehow

I've just completed the new maps and story quite easily and with great fun playing a Power Mirage build : Sword/Sword - Greatsword - Dueling 131 / Domination 221/ Mirage 212 and False oasis, Sand through glass, Mirage advance (or signet of domination for stun), Signet of inspiration and Jaunt. Berserker gear (one or two Marauder if needed and some precise infusions). Sigil of force and acuracy for weapons, armor rune power/precision kind. For high fractals or Raid I still use Chrono but this one is great to play. Hope you'll like it

For open world and story, use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAn/dnELD1LjVoBOoBMMjlXDDNAkTaC+/vC4CscC0bCOA-jRhAhAB7PAoXAS9HQlf2KBBA-eFor open world and story boss-killing, use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAn/ansIC1LjVoBOoBMMjlVDrcDUcCAobhzQVw/A2AngA-jRhAhA2KBBV+Bp+Dgehg9HAA-e

For fractals, use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAs+dncfClfi9fCGoBUrhFVj6MIWipjMAGhirOZn2qF-jxBXABgqXAAlHArErZlgwq+DvPAgS3fgUAetSD-e

Open world and story builds are mirage condition damage focused. The boss-killer build is a variation of that that focuses on phantasms. Both of those will do more than enough damage to sail through all the content. The fractals build is a standard chronomancer buffing support build. Don't try to bring a damage build into fractals as a mesmer, it's not really a good choice.

Suggestion for this Chrono build: Runes of the Firebrand are considerably more accessible than Runes of Leadership (you can just buy them from the TP for about as much gold as each Rune of Leadership costs), and they give +20% Quickness duration. You might want to wear one more piece of Commander gear, but that's the only difference you'd need, and I think that's easier to get (even if only a little bit, because you still need all that Commander armor).

@Agent Noun.7350 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:For fractals, use this:

Open world and story builds are mirage condition damage focused. The boss-killer build is a variation of that that focuses on phantasms. Both of those will do more than enough damage to sail through all the content. The fractals build is a standard chronomancer buffing support build. Don't try to bring a damage build into fractals as a mesmer, it's not really a good choice.

Suggestion for this Chrono build: Runes of the Firebrand are considerably more accessible than Runes of Leadership (you can just buy them from the TP for about as much gold as each Rune of Leadership costs), and they give +20% Quickness duration. You might want to wear one more piece of Commander gear, but that's the only difference you'd need, and I think that's easier to get (even if only a little bit).

Runes of leadership are better for the overall support aspect, but you're absolutely right that firebrand runes are vastly easier to get. Starting with firebrand runes is a solid choice, but swap to leadership when you're able.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:For fractals, use this:

Suggestion for this Chrono build: Runes of the Firebrand are considerably more accessible than Runes of Leadership (you can just buy them from the TP for about as much gold as each Rune of Leadership costs), and they give +20% Quickness duration. You might want to wear one more piece of Commander gear, but that's the only difference you'd need, and I think that's easier to get (even if only a little bit).

Runes of leadership are better for the overall support aspect, but you're absolutely right that firebrand runes are vastly easier to get. Starting with firebrand runes is a solid choice, but swap to leadership when you're able.

Yeah, definitely, and I think for fractals the balance tips even more in Leadership's direction--it's more likely that the Mesmer is going to be a major boon source there, whereas in raids you can assume that boons like Might and Fury are probably going to have another reliable source so you can afford to focus only on Quickness duration.

@FallenSentinel.9065 said:So say I were to go with the Chronomancer, would GS and Sw+Sh be the way to go?

Equipping GS in PvE is rarely anything but a mistake. If you're just doing open world stuff, it's usable I suppose...but if you do any instanced content you should never use a GS. The combo is Sw/sh+/focus or /sword.

@FallenSentinel.9065 said:So say I were to go with the Chronomancer, would GS and Sw+Sh be the way to go?

To sum it up:You like Staff and GS.Both are pretty meh options for PvE.Staff is about utility and defense, but doesn't deal a lot of damage.GS is about dealing damage at a greater distance, but said damage is again, not very high, and the playstyle is also pretty boring imo.

These are the "mainstream" options:ChronotankThis is a chronomancer with sword / shield and sword / sword or focus. It's the standard for raiding and fractals, doesn't deal a lot of dps, but will buff the group with quickness and alacrity. Needs power gear with at least some parts that buff boon duration.In open world PvE you'll be pretty much unkillable, but take very long killing anything solo. Also, as you don't have a ranged weapon, one a number of events you're forced to equip a GS or watch your phantasms deal some damage, while essentially doing nothing,

Power MesmerThis is a core mesmer spec with sword / sword and sword / focus or torch. It deals more damage than the Chronotank, but doesn't play that different. Needs assassins / berserker gear, but can switch to and from chronotank with only small changes.In open world PvE you'll be quite fragile and again, the damage is ok, but expect no wonders. Another pure melee spec as well.

Condi MesmerThis can be played as Mirage (or core Mesmer) with Scepter / Pistol and Axe (or Scepter) / Torch or Focus. This is a dps spec that deals damage though condi's, so you'll need condi gear. It can deal somewhat viable dps in group content, but most people will probably prefer you to be chrono.In open world this should be a fun and mobile spec and it has a good ranged weapon, but you'll face some ramp-up time and your only real defenses are distortion and mirage cloak.

Actually Power Mesmer and Condi Mesmer in PvE perform about the same. As Power Mesmer, you'll cleave through most enemies and your Phantasms will be able to handle big bads, but you'll be weak against large group of big bads (large groups of Elite+).Condi, on the other hand, takes a little longer to kill weaklings, but has more "survivability" against larger groups (regardless of strength) due to condis picking you back up again and again. Additionally, it's easier to rally as Condi Mes because you'll be able to apply stronger DPS with your downed skills (rotate 1/5 and toss in 2/3 when up).

The only way you'd have trouble in PvE as a Power Mesmer is if you treated every enemy as a raid boss and attempted to do the ramp up against them, instead of just untraited shattering + cleave past weaklings and spawn Phants against Vet+stronger.

Archived