[SPOILERS] The new map and some of the enemies

Amanda Whitemoon.6173

while i was running around the new map, i noticed the Burning Forest, taken from the fissure of woe, has menzies's army run around.But, there are no balthazar eternals around, why not? offcourse we do not know from what time the chunk comes but it still raises questions (for me at least)is this an old time where balthazar was not battling yet?Did balthazar maybe lost, and thats why he was so angry?is Menzies's army taking over now that balthazar is gone?

It's something that badly needs to be covered and I hope the next Season will be more God-orientated story now that the Kralkatorrik arc is concluded for now. There are some questions that seriously need to be answered, and this latest release has only brought up more.

The Shadow Army still existing is the biggest talking point of the patch, in my opinion.

Balthazar's capture presumably ensured Menzies would take over the Fissure of Woe... Balthazar was so interested in an opponent that would give him a challenge unlike his coward of a brother that he decided to fight the Elder Dragons rather than continue his conflict in the Fissure of Woe while the other Gods continue looking for a new world to place Humanity.

Balthazar of course used unscrupulous tactics to get out of his prison(wonder how many years of imprisonment it took for him to get to that point) and continued using them despite heading to the front lines constantly... He cast aside Honor to get the entertaining fight he wanted and brought himself to ruin.

Menzies's cowardice worked to his benefit while Balthazar's recklessness doomed himself. Such irony!

Menzies has agents in both the Fissure of Woe and the Realm of Torment so we'll probably see more of them in the upcoming Living Stories... Hopefully Mad King Thorn(who is getting closer and closer to breaking his seals) get's ideas from Dragonfall and starts sending chunks of the Mists crashing down into Tyria... Starting with the Mad Realm itself of course!

What chunks of the Mist aside from the Mad Realm should Mad King Thorn drop into Tyria? Ice Wastes(Wintersday gift), Domain of Pain, Depths of Madness, Domain of Secrets/Domain of Fear(both are so similar they should be one Zone) and the Domain of Anguish!

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:this "chunks of mists" stuff open a door to a future plot involving weird entities that may have come together like the fallen balthazar himself came "on a ride" with Rytlock's journey.

Chunks of Mists opens the door to Mad King Thorn getting ideas for his next big entrance on Halloween(Mad Realm crashes into Tyria) as well as entertainment for himself over time(like Ice Wastes dropped into Tyria for Wintersday).

It also opens the door for a Living Story involving Menzies and having his territories in the Realm of Torment(namely the Domain of Pain, Domain of Secrets, Depths of Madness and Domain of Anguish) dropped into Tyria as well... Menzies better be a coward and his cowardice better reveal that he's hiding in Cantha as Ecclesiate Xun Rao/Emperor Usoku!

Balthazar's Eternals were turned into Forged, that's why there's none left.

What's curious is that the devs had implyed Menzies is no more too, as Balthazar was "bored from idleness" and "wanted to fight someone" and that is what started the whole fiasco leading into PoF. Menzies would be dead or imprisoned if Balthazar was idle. And his army would be at least mostly routed too.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Balthazar's Eternals were turned into Forged, that's why there's none left.

What's curious is that the devs had implyed Menzies is no more too, as Balthazar was "bored from idleness" and "wanted to fight someone" and that is what started the whole fiasco leading into PoF. Menzies would be dead or imprisoned if Balthazar was idle. And his army would be at least mostly routed too.

Menzies is a coward and would never show himself so Balthazar has zero hopes of fighting him so he would get bored of having his soldiers constantly fighting an enemy who dares not show himself and Balthazar at that point was far too honorable to even think of using subterfuge(as we would) to find Menzies! Balthazar wanted a fight and Menzies refused to give him one so he settled on Elder Dragons!

Balthazar was idle due to Menzies not playing by his rules. If Menzies was more willing to challenge him or at least provide him with an entertaining opponent then Balthazar wouldn't have grown bored of not having an enemy to fight. Menzies is now the biggest player of Path of Fire since he drove Balthazar to idle boredom induced bloodlust due to his constant hiding and scheming! The Path of Fire leads to Menzies and the next Expansion ultimately!

That feels like a lot of leaps. I don't really recall Menzies being reliably called a coward or that he would never show himself (hell, he must show himself before Balthazar eventually if he wanted Balthazar's power and title).

Even if Balthazar would have to chase down Menzies, that's still an action to take to not be idle and bored. Even if he only had Menzies' army to battle, that's still an action to take to not be idle and bored.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:That feels like a lot of leaps. I don't really recall Menzies being reliably called a coward or that he would never show himself (hell, he must show himself before Balthazar eventually if he wanted Balthazar's power and title).

Even if Balthazar would have to chase down Menzies, that's still an action to take to not be idle and bored. Even if he only had Menzies' army to battle, that's still an action to take to not be idle and bored.

I checked and it seems you are right! Menzies is not referred to as a coward even though his army is. His army was probably routed and only came back when Balthazar got bored and was captured.

Menzies is called the deceiver Menzies I should say... if he is alive then he could fake his death though I'm sure Balthazar should be smart enough to see through it.

An interesting thing mentioned in the new map: NPCs mention that (according to the Durmand Priory) the Shadow Army were cursed to forever hate and attack Balthazar and his eternals. Which means that even if Menzies died, they'd remain to wage war. With the Eternals and Balthazar gone, their attention turned to Kralkatorrik and Aurene due to Balthazar's presence/magic being in them.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:An interesting thing mentioned in the new map: NPCs mention that (according to the Durmand Priory) the Shadow Army were cursed to forever hate and attack Balthazar and his eternals. Which means that even if Menzies died, they'd remain to wage war. With the Eternals and Balthazar gone, their attention turned to Kralkatorrik and Aurene due to Balthazar's presence/magic being in them.

Who put that curse on? Menzies of course, I doubt the curse would still be there without him.

@Slowpokeking.8720 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:An interesting thing mentioned in the new map: NPCs mention that (according to the Durmand Priory) the Shadow Army were cursed to forever hate and attack Balthazar and his eternals. Which means that even if Menzies died, they'd remain to wage war. With the Eternals and Balthazar gone, their attention turned to Kralkatorrik and Aurene due to Balthazar's presence/magic being in them.

Who put that curse on? Menzies of course, I doubt the curse would still be there without him.

I imagine it would depend on the style of the curse, whether it would succeed the caster's death. If we presume it doesn't survive the caster's death, then the only individual around that we know of who could have done it and still lives would be Dhuum (or maybe, arguably, Menzies).