Holosmith Trait and Utility Changes

hoeppy.4567

So I’ve voiced my disappointment over in “Am I the only one dissappointed?”, and there is some good discussion going on. Over the course of the thread I’ve made some suggestions what I like to see changed and I think it would be better to compress my ideas into a single thread where we can brainstorm together on changes we like to see. Make your own improvements tell me what sucks about the ideas I have and improve upon them yourself. However, I like to stress that all of the ideas we post here are nothing more than that. I don’t have high hopes to see most them implemented as is, not in the near future or at all. But maybe we can give ArenaNet a better idea of what we want from Holosmith.

I’ve also seen some people say they want Holosmith to be only a power spec. I can understand that. Power Engineer isn’t really fun as is right now, but I think both playstyles can have their cake and eat it, too. We have enough trait slots to cater to both and that’s what I’ve tried to achieve here.

Also noteworthy. This comes from a PvE perspective first and foremost and I haven’t played a lot of sPvP since PoF, I’ve been a low Platinum scrub. I have no interest in WvW and every time ArenaNet forces me into WvW it makes me die a little more on the inside. Thank you ArenaNet. …

Proposed changes to traits

Adept:

• Light Density Amplifier: Reworked to: Damage increased per Heat Stage (0/50/100) by 5% (15% at above 100 heat)
  • Solar Focusing Lens: Burning duration increased to 3 seconds.

Master:

• Crystal Configuration: Storm: Reduced damage per Projectile, but fires an additional Projectile on each skill in the auto-attack chain. (Improves bleed stacking with Shrapnel while in the Forge)
  • Crystal Configuration: Zephyr: Reworked to add a fourth attack to the auto-attack chain that hits 3x. (Master Traits are all about Photon Forge skills. I know we already have one that affects the auto chain, but I feel like Crystal Configuration: Storm is better suited to condition damage builds and this would add a clear winner for power with a big payload if you manage to not interrupt the chain)

Grandmaster:

• Laser’s Edge (minor): Additionally increases Condition Damage by 5%
  • Vent Exhaust: No changes here, ArenaNet made it clear with the 08/08 patch and this trait that they want Engineer to have an offensive Dodge build with Excessive Energy, Mine Trail and Vent Exhaust. I do hope they move away from that playstyle, because I really can’t get behind that concept.
  • Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit: Blah blah. All skills and some traits gain additional heat tiers. (see Utility Skills)
  • Photonic Blasting Module: Burning duration increased to 5 seconds. Applies 3 stacks of burning.

Photon Forge Skills:

• Holo Leap: Grants Superspeed instead of Swiftness. Removes chill and cripple.
  • Corona Burst: Blast Finisher on the final explosion.
  • Photon Blitz: Burning duration increased to 2 seconds.

Exceed and Toolbelt skills:

Overall I like Exceed skills, but I think every Exceed skill and Toolbelt skill should have a 100+ heat stage with Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit. All of the following suggestions are for an additional effect when you're above 100 heat not to replace the effect with 50+ heat!

• Coolant Blast: Healing is increased by 25%.
  • +-> Cauterize: You no longer burn yourself.
  • Hard Light Arena: Enemies can no longer pass through the Wall.
  • +-> Prismatic Singularity: The final explosion Dazes for 1 Second.
  • Spectrum Shield: Duration is increased by 100% (maybe just 50%)
  • +-> Flash Spark: Cooldown is reduced by 50% (kinda boring, would prefer damage but don't think that'd fit the skill)
  • Laser Disk: Duration is increased by 100% (total, so an additional 50% to the 50+ stage). (Alternativly damage increased by 33%.)
  • +-> Blade Burst: You fire an additional blade per target. (more realistic would be damage increased by 50%, because an additional blade would be 2.5x damage of the base skill, but still a 30 second CD... I think that'd be fair)
  • Photon Wall: Duration is increased by 100% (maybe just 50%)
  • +-> Particle Accelerator: Damage is increased by 25%.
  • Prime Light Beam: The fire field deals 100% increased damage.

Some things others have mentioned that I like to see as well:

• Sword Chain: Increased damage to make it competitive with Bomb Kit.
  • Radiant Arc: Aftercast reduction. Range increase to 600.
  • Holo Leap: Swiftness should be applied at the end of the leap, not the beginning.
  • Photon Forge: Should use actual equipped weapon rarity instead of a blue. However, as long as the damage numbers are good, I don’t mind which rarity they use to scale off of.
  • Photon Wall: Cast time removed.
  • +-> Launch Wall: Cast time reduced to 1/4 second.

Alright, I think that’s all for now.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Maybe I should've posted in one of the already existing feedback compilations. Sorry guys. Should have paid more attention to other threads. :anguished:

Lot of good ideas there.

• About the extra advantage to skills over 100 heat: I would like to suggest this bonus is activated @ 100 heat, instead of over and you get a 3-5 second window to use it. What this would mean is that you get the advantage even without 'Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit', but you have to 'blow yourself up'.
  • I'd also like the explosion on overheat to be baseline AoE (even without Photonic Blasting Module).

The idea behind both suggestions is that the very self-damaging Overheat explosion shouldn't just be a disadvantage (without traiting for it), since nothing else is in GW2.Corruptions hurt the necro, but they don't ONLY hurt the necro, our own Rifle #4 knocks us back, but it knocks back the target as well. There is always a tit for tat.Instead of Overheating being nothing but an annoyance, it would be more of a 'nuclear option', mutually assured destruction.Also, adding +100 bonuses to all those skills and traits feels like a lot to do for a single trait, makes more sense if it's something every Holosmith has access to.

A more general issue I have is Holosmith feels sluggish, it seems to me like it should be a very fast, reactive spec, but a lot of cast-times and weapon skills feel slow and constantly 'needing' quickness is unreasonable (and artificially forces us to use the sword).

• Cauterize is especially guilty 3/4 sec cast is absurd.
  • Launch wall as said
  • Radiant Arc, again a 3/4 sec cast for a leap is just too harsh and really hinders the flow of combat.
  • even Laser Disk, again 3/4 sec and it's hardly a huge burst

I would therefor like to see quicker casting above 50 heat for all these skills, most if not all of them possibly be instant at and above 100 heat. You get hot --> you get fast, makes sense to me.

I've thought about your suggestion to make it trigger at 100 heat even without Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit and I'm getting fond of the idea. In my opinion you should never want to blow up without Photonic Blasting Module. So for those builds it would be pretty cool. You take a big risk in that you actually safe all your steam for when you blow up and then you blow up big. But if the power level continues to increase more or less linearly from 50+ to 100+ (which was my intention behind the numbers suggested) it may be too strong for Photonic Blasting Module builds.

I have been thinking about casting times a bit more as well. And I understand their purpose in sPvP. In coodinated PvE you should have about 100% quickness uptime anyway. My issue with some abilities aren't the cast times themselves. It just doesn't feel as fluid as it could be, I think.

PBM would have to be looked at yeah, especially since it's already pretty much the best dps option out of all 3 GMs and I'd really like to see a change like that happen to LDA as well; it makes so much more sense than just a flat bonus. It all adds up to some pretty major reworks really.

Maybe it isn't so much the cast as the aftercast for some of the skills. I'm not saying I want my engie to be a thief spammer, but atm it just feels too much like an old school necro sometimes.Not Cauterize though, 3/4 sec cast is bullcrap. 1/4 second should be more than enough for a skill like that.

Storm and zephyr looks way too similar to justify the removal of zephyr (which is a good alternative to stability). Why not merge the two ideas you have to storm. The surviveability options gained from the other two traits in pvp justifies a significant offensive gain if running without it.

Personally from a wvw/pvp perspective i would have just liked storm to have 900 range and that it increased the range of unloa-, i mean photon blitz to 900. After playing holo in wvw its agonizing the amount of times people are "just" out of reach even when the target is massively overextending (the "short ranged" scourge can still place a shade at 900 range away).

As for coolant blast it would have been neat if it actually reduced your heat by a chunk (or stop all heat generation under cooling vapor) to allow you to continue using holomode for a while making it the aggressive heal.

@miriforst.1290 said:Storm and zephyr looks way too similar to justify the removal of zephyr (which is a good alternative to stability). Why not merge the two ideas you have to storm. The surviveability options gained from the other two traits in pvp justifies a significant offensive gain if running without it.

Personally from a wvw/pvp perspective i would have just liked storm to have 900 range and that it increased the range of unloa-, i mean photon blitz to 900. After playing holo in wvw its agonizing the amount of times people are "just" out of reach even when the target is massively overextending (the "short ranged" scourge can still place a shade at 900 range away).

As for coolant blast it would have been neat if it actually reduced your heat by a chunk (or stop all heat generation under cooling vapor) to allow you to continue using holomode for a while making it the aggressive heal.

Yeah, the heal definitely should affect heat.

@miriforst.1290 said:As for coolant blast it would have been neat if it actually reduced your heat by a chunk (or stop all heat generation under cooling vapor) to allow you to continue using holomode for a while making it the aggressive heal.

Wasn't it like that back in the beta? I always assumed it did based on the name.

@miriforst.1290 said:As for coolant blast it would have been neat if it actually reduced your heat by a chunk (or stop all heat generation under cooling vapor) to allow you to continue using holomode for a while making it the aggressive heal.

I'd vote against it reducing heat by a lot, since there's a good chance it would often just push you out of Laser's Edge, which can be a serious downside (there's enough downsides on Holo already :sweat: ), but no heat generation whilst under Cooling Vapor is very interesting: +1.

@Snafoo.2869 said:

I'd vote against it reducing heat by a lot, since there's a good chance it would often just push you out of Laser's Edge, which can be a serious downside (there's enough downsides on Holo already :sweat: ), but no heat generation whilst under Cooling Vapor is very interesting: +1.I really like the "(or stop the heat generation under cooling vapor)" part. That would be amazing. Not for PBM of course, but in sPvP or if it becomes viable to not use PBM in PvE group content.

@miriforst.1290 said:Storm and zephyr looks way too similar to justify the removal of zephyr (which is a good alternative to stability). Why not merge the two ideas you have to storm. The surviveability options gained from the other two traits in pvp justifies a significant offensive gain if running without it.Yea, in my suggestions I moved current Storm into baseline Holo Leap, minus the removal of immobilize. Because I think it would be to strong to be able to remove imobilize every 2 seconds. But to be honest. When we're in PF we also scream "focus me now!". So why not?

About Storm and Zephyr, you're right that they're quite similar. But Storm is supposed to deal 10% less damage than base auto. Right now that's not the case. I don't know if they backpaddled on that change or what happened with it (pre-PoF nerfs). If we assume they fix it and it indeed deals 10% less damage you don't want to use it with power builds. If they really combine both so it deals more damage overall and has more projectiles... Well I'm the last one to complain, but I don't think it'll happend for PvP balance reasons. That's why I think it's more likely to have different options for power and condition damage.The power option doesn't have to affect the auto chain, too. It was just an idea. You don't get extra damage immediatly, but if you can complete the chain you hit like a truck and then some.

@miriforst.1290 said:Storm and zephyr looks way too similar to justify the removal of zephyr (which is a good alternative to stability). Why not merge the two ideas you have to storm. The surviveability options gained from the other two traits in pvp justifies a significant offensive gain if running without it.

Now that right there id DEFINITELY use if it froze your heat gain or cooled you down! But wait coolant blast cooling your heat?? Nah makes too much sense for it to be changed to that lol

Solar Focusing Lens: In addition to increasing the burn duration to 3 seconds, I feel this trait should also prevent you from taking the DoT portion from overheating! (When traited with both Solar Focusing Lens and Photonic Blasting Module, you won't die faster when playing the build in the intended fashion)

Some traits must works also out of PF, overheat hurts hard :'(

ADEPT

• Light Density Amplifier: Change to works with all solid/semi-solid constructs, pulsing this effect (like Pinpoint Distribution) on afected área for 1 second, every second while the construct is active. This effect don't stacks even if other holosmith uses others constructs in the same area. (the player also gets this effect while in Photon Forge).Grants: -10% incoming damage, -10% incoming condition damage.

MASTER

• Crystal Configuration Storm: As aforementioned, the blades must hits also at close range. Also increase the range of blades to 900 or 1200 (1200, plz. give us a reason to use sword).
  • Crystal Configuration Eclipse: Change to make corona burst grants barrier and become a mobile dark field while pulsing.
  • Crystal Configuration Zephyr: Aditionaly to actual effects, the pad could also recover 15% of edurance.

GRANDMASTER

• Lazer Edge: Change to Increase damage and condition damage per heat stage (50% / 100%) by 10% / 20%.

PHOTON FORGE SKILLS:

• Corona Burst: Must aditionaly grants stability on each pulse and blast finisher on explosion.
  • Photon Blitz: Must have least 900 range and 20% chance of projectile finisher.

EXCEED SKILLS:

• Lazer Disk: Must grants whirl finisher.
  • Flash Spark: Could has 360 radius and reveal...

Those are actually not bad suggestions, they seem pretty balanced and would make some if the skills better and on par with other professions.

I only disagree with Lasers Edge. That is a nerf to any build not running ECSU, which is anything competitive in pve. Make it 15 and 30, retain the same level under 100

@Chaba.5410 said:What about the heal from Heat Therapy? It seems really low and basically no reason to invest in any healing power at all.

Heat Therapy is pretty strong IMO. once it vents by 10 per second its 650 health per second regen with no healing power and stacks with other regen boons. The only thing I wish is if it started at 10 stacks degen rather than starting from 5 and going to 10. Plus if you take Vent Exhaust every dodge roll is a 975 heal, very powerful with energy sigil or vigor.

Archived