Balthazar spoiler warning

lokoma.9756

@lokoma.9756 said:spoiler warning!so i'm a little disappointed that we seemingly destroyed him so quickly. i would like to think we have not seen the last of him but complete obliteration i mean god or not i don't see him coming back from that :open_mouth:

I mean...dead god from GW1 whos name im terrible at spelling so i wont died pretty quickly too. xD

He was no longer really a god. The rest of the six supposedly drained his god-powers completely. He was just a husk of a god, probably no more powerful than an extremely skilled (and really large) human (norn?) mage, while he was chained in the mists. From there, he absorbed some bloodstone energy (which, while powerful, is only a tiny fraction of the power gods have) and some dragon magic (which made him really powerful again, but still nowhere near the power of the remaining six).

At the end-point where we fight him, he was pretty much just an extremely skilled, high-powered (still very large) human (maybe a norn?) mage. Bad for him, the player character is also an extremely skilled [insert profession her], in lore. We probably just barely matched him in general skill, but not power.

So, yeah. I doubt he's comin' back. We trounced him.

He was no longer really a god. The rest of the six supposedly drained his god-powers completely. He was just a husk of a god, probably no more powerful than an extremely skilled (and really large) human (norn?) mage, while he was chained in the mists. From there, he absorbed some bloodstone energy (which, while powerful, is only a tiny fraction of the power gods have) and some dragon magic (which made him really powerful again, but still nowhere near the power of the remaining six).

At the end-point where we fight him, he was pretty much just an extremely skilled, high-powered (still very large) human (maybe a norn?) mage. Bad for him, the player character is also an extremely skilled [insert profession here] in lore. We probably just barely matched him in general skill, but not power.

Also, you might wanna add that spoiler warning to your topic title.

@Vandril.3490 said:He was no longer really a god. The rest of the six supposedly drained his god-powers completely. He was just a husk of a god, probably no more powerful than an extremely skilled (and really large) human (norn?) mage, while he was chained in the mists. From there, he absorbed some bloodstone energy (which, while powerful, is only a tiny fraction of the power gods have) and some dragon magic (which made him really powerful again, but still nowhere near the power of the remaining six).

At the end-point where we fight him, he was pretty much just an extremely skilled, high-powered (still very large) human (maybe a norn?) mage. Bad for him, the player character is also an extremely skilled [insert profession her], in lore. We probably just barely matched him in general skill, but not power.

The thing is when we asked Kormir to help us fight Balthazar she pretty much said no because a war between the gods would cause mass destruction/casualties, meaning Balthazar is still just as powerful as a god. I don't see him coming back though just because there is a ton of other directions the story can go.

@Beast Sos.1457 said:

@Vandril.3490 said:He was no longer really a god. The rest of the six supposedly drained his god-powers completely. He was just a husk of a god, probably no more powerful than an extremely skilled (and really large) human (norn?) mage, while he was chained in the mists. From there, he absorbed some bloodstone energy (which, while powerful, is only a tiny fraction of the power gods have) and
some
dragon magic (which made him really powerful again, but still nowhere near the power of the remaining six).

The thing is when we asked Kormir to help us fight Balthazar she pretty much said no because a war between the gods would cause mass destruction/casualties, meaning Balthazar is still just as powerful as a god. I don't see him coming back though just because there is a ton of other directions the story can go.

Kormir was referring to herself in that case as she would be helping. The" Balthazar is just a husk" logic still stands.

@Brimstone.3807 said:

@Vandril.3490 said:He was no longer really a god. The rest of the six supposedly drained his god-powers completely. He was just a husk of a god, probably no more powerful than an extremely skilled (and really large) human (norn?) mage, while he was chained in the mists. From there, he absorbed some bloodstone energy (which, while powerful, is only a tiny fraction of the power gods have) and
some
dragon magic (which made him really powerful again, but still nowhere near the power of the remaining six).

Kormir was referring to herself in that case as she would be helping. The" Balthazar is just a husk" logic still stands.

What do you mean by that? To me it seemed clear that she was saying that if she were to join the fight it would only cause more chaos than good.

So this issue is confusing to me. The same situation happened with Abbadon, except when we destroyed him in GW1, the remnants of his power had to be absorbed and thus came in Kormir to "rescue" us from the explosion.

I have not beaten the main story yet in PoF, but is that the explanation as to why there is no longer a replacement for Balth? Is there more to the story that I'm missing here?

Honestly, this whole destroying Balth without replacing him is a stickler to me with the story of Guild Wars overall. Although I think the story in PoF is generally pretty interesting and well handled overall, there are some real mishandled plot points that sort of destroys pre-established lore.

Again, I haven't beaten the story, so I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong, but it sounds like this is the case and I find it pretty disappointing.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:So this issue is confusing to me. The same situation happened with Abbadon, except when we destroyed him in GW1, the remnants of his power had to be absorbed and thus came in Kormir to "rescue" us from the explosion.

I have not beaten the main story yet in PoF, but is that the explanation as to why there is no longer a replacement for Balth? Is there more to the story that I'm missing here?

Honestly, this whole destroying Balth without replacing him is a stickler to me with the story of Guild Wars overall. Although I think the story in PoF is generally pretty interesting and well handled overall, there are some real mishandled plot points that sort of destroys pre-established lore.

Again, I haven't beaten the story, so I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong, but it sounds like this is the case and I find it pretty disappointing.

They handle Balth's death in an appropriate manner that makes sense

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@TheUndefined.1720 said:So this issue is confusing to me. The same situation happened with Abbadon, except when we destroyed him in GW1, the remnants of his power had to be absorbed and thus came in Kormir to "rescue" us from the explosion.

Great, is it that he lost his power to the other deities is why there wasn't a Kormir situation? If so, then what was different with Abbadon? Also, if they absorbed his power and didn't seem fit to install a replacement - why aren't the other deities taking on any sort of mantle of war? Kormir still kept the general mantle of Abbadon - information / knowledge; so what was explained with Balth's power?

I know the text may read as sarcasm, but I honestly want to know lol. Thanks :)

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

Oh, trust me. When you get to that point, you'll know exactly where Balthy's power went. No plot hole there.

@Palador.2170 said:

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

Oh, trust me. When you get to that point, you'll know exactly where Balthy's power went. No plot hole there.

Seems cryptic, but thanks for the response.

[EDIT]Oh geez.. I just watched the ending. Honestly, getting kinda tired with how loosey goosey all this "freed" energy is getting absorbed. You're right, it does make sense, but it definitely doesn't feel as tightly handled or suprising as GW1. I'm sure the next living story will address it though.

Thanks for all the info.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Great, is it that he lost his power to the other deities is why there wasn't a Kormir situation? If so, then what was different with Abbadon? Also, if they absorbed his power and didn't seem fit to install a replacement - why aren't the other deities taking on any sort of mantle of war? Kormir still kept the general mantle of Abbadon - information / knowledge; so what was explained with Balth's power?

I know the text may read as sarcasm, but I honestly want to know lol. Thanks :)

In the immortal words of River Song.

"Spoilers!"

@Beast Sos.1457 said:

some

I feel that Kormir was trying to express that anytime the Gods get directly involved in a battle on Tyria, a catastrophe ensues. I believe the whole "are you asking for a war between the gods?" thing was really just her driving that point home. Even if Batlhazar is no longer a god by this point - he isn't; note how no one is blinded by looking at him as is a trait of the human gods and their power - he's still powerful and Kormir would still likely need to put forth dangerous amounts of power to overcome him with brute force.

• 2 months later...

This is how I see things. We already know that the gods have had children, Grenth is the son of Dwayna. It is entirely possible that Balth's power could have been transferred to another godling. Heck Lyss is actually 2 people, the main goddess and her companion that she lifted up to be with her. I could see a plucky set of twins that may even be Balth's grandchildren. Now that would be interesting. And if the gods didn't want the mortals to know, they just would not tell them of the change.

So living world season 3 and pof was too fast of a death? That’s pretty long. And Balthazar was losing power, and he was already chained up. So we were pretty much beating a god who was already beatin. And he wasn’t to full power anyways. He was bound to lose in the end. Not to forget, we forgot that our commander got his butt killed trying to kill him. We had to be brought back to kill him.

I was expecting a different ending but I guess it will do. I do wish we actually killed him instead of kralk consuming his force. But hey now we get to kick kralk a ass in expansion 4. How? Idk. We might have to die again but o well let’s see.

Balthazar was the longest lasting villain in this game, except arguably Faolain or Caudecus. Unlike Faolain and Caudecus, however, Balthazar didn't disappear for 3 years (and if you count those 3 years, then Lazarus was around for 7 years). I think he lasted long enough, though it could have been interesting had we opted to imprison him rather than slay him (would have been the smarter thing to do in all honesty). But sadly, the writing team decided to make the PC the antagonizer with Balthazar - he was willing to work with us, even if he chose a poor way to go about making that alliance (by disguising himself as the most untrusted individual in Tyria), but we had to go and make him an enemy instead.

@Beast Sos.1457 said:

some

Devs have outright stated that Balthazar was not on par to a god.

However, he was powerful enough, and the gods superpowerful enough, that the Six Gods getting into any conflict would be devastating, especially against a foe as strong as Balthazar, even if he's much weaker than any individual god at the point of Path of Fire.

@"TheUndefined.1720" said:So this issue is confusing to me. The same situation happened with Abbadon, except when we destroyed him in GW1, the remnants of his power had to be absorbed and thus came in Kormir to "rescue" us from the explosion.

[spoiler=Spoilers to story ending]Basically, Balthazar suffered the same fate as Dhuum. Dhuum and Balthazar were both succeeded but left alive, while Abaddon was killed and then succeeded.

There is a successor to Balthazar - Kormir still refers to the group as the Six Gods, despite having known them as the Five Gods most of her mortal life (and her divine life had Balthazar not had a successor) - but this successor, unknown to Tyrians and players alike, rose to godhood between GW1 and GW2.

It would be like if we killed Dhuum in the raid, rather than re-imprison him. There would be an unleash of magic, since Dhuum regained power much like Balthazar had done, but nothing even close to an unleashing of a god's magic. And there'd be no need for a successor.

Furthermore, the magic that Balthazar had absorbed during Season 3 and Path of Fire does get handled appropriately given the context of the situation.

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

@Palador.2170 said:

@TheUndefined.1720 said:

Seems cryptic, but thanks for the response.

[EDIT]Oh geez.. I just watched the ending. Honestly, getting kinda tired with how loosey goosey all this "freed" energy is getting absorbed. You're right, it does make sense, but it definitely doesn't feel as tightly handled or suprising as GW1. I'm sure the next living story will address it though.

Thanks for all the info.Living Story Season 4: Episode 1 addresses it well.! Aurene has grown up and nukes the hell out of people while you fight. She's now a strong ally due to that magic release.

Archived